Gloom + Sleight of Mind versus any spell

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have Gloom in play. My opponent has 5 forests and casts a summon spell that costs to cast. In response to his summons, I cast Sleight of Mind and change the word "white" to "green" on my Gloom. Does this effectively counter the summon spell, and if so, does my opponent have to draw mana from his last two forests to attempt to satisfy the casting requirement? Thanks.
Cards involved: Gloom and Sleight of Mind
once a spell is cast all costs have already been paid
changing the total cost now won't do anything
proud member of the 2011 community team
I have Gloom in play. My opponent has 5 forests and casts a summon spell that costs to cast. In response to his summons, I cast Sleight of Mind and change the word "white" to "green" on my Gloom. Does this effectively counter the summon spell, and if so, does my opponent have to draw mana from his last two forests to attempt to satisfy the casting requirement? Thanks.

You can't cast Gloom while he is casting his spell.  By the time you can cast Gloom, the other spell is already cast and paid for and Gloom won't effect it.
By the time you can respond, his spell is already cast and changing the cost of it will have no effect.
DCI Level 1 Judge Please autocard: [c]Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon[/c] = Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon [c=Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon]Skittles[/c] = Skittles Cards do what they say they do. No more. No less.

You can't cast Gloom while he is casting his spell.  By the time you can cast Gloom, the other spell is already cast and paid for and Gloom won't effect it.

Maybe that's why the very first sentence of his post is "I have Gloom in play".
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011

Maybe that's why the very first sentence of his post is "I have Gloom in play".

Indeed.  RTFC failure on my part.
I have Gloom in play. My opponent has 5 forests and casts a summon spell that costs to cast. In response to his summons, I cast Sleight of Mind and change the word "white" to "green" on my Gloom. Does this effectively counter the summon spell?

no, why would it?
he's already cast the creature spell if you're casting Sleight of Mind in response to it. It just hasn't resolved yet.
However, you could use Sleight of Mind on Douse and then activate the ability on Douse to counter his green spell.
The effect of Gloom would have to apply as he was casting it. ie. it'd have to already say green before he started casting it
and if so, does my opponent have to draw mana from his last two forests to attempt to satisfy the casting requirement?

no, because it's not applicable after he finished casting the spell

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

Thanks folks