Nicol Bolas Control (need help)

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello everyone!

I played some casual MTG in the past and I recently got sucked back into it by a friend. I'm a big fan of control decks and I  really like the Nicol Bolas planeswalker, so I decided to build a standard control deck with him in it. I have done a lot of reading about standard format and control decks in general, but I don't have enough experience constructing a good deck. So I thought I'd post here and ask you guys for help.

My sideboard numbers and cards aren't complete and that is something I do need help with. This is what I have so far:

Planeswalkers (6):

Nicol Bolas,  Planeswalker x3
Jace, Memory Adept x3

Spells (29):

Think Twice  x4
Forbidden Alchemy  x4
Bonfire of the Damned x3
Black Sun's Zenith x3
Go for the Throat x2
Tribute to Hunger x2
Mana Leak x4
Essence Scatter x4
Gilded Lotus x3

Land (25):

Evolving Wilds  x4
Desolate Lighthouse x1
Dragonskull Summit x4
Drowned Catacombs x4
Swamp x5
Mountain x3
Island x4

Sideboard (??):

tragic slip
doom blade
negate
duress

A couple questions I have:
Should I inculde any creatures at all? If so, what creatures would go well in this deck?
Is Jace even a good card in this deck or can I replace it with something else?
Is my mana base okay? Do I need to add some more non basic land? 

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance  

Your deck doesn't really have much of a win condition that I can see.  Your only damage dealing spell is [C]Bonfire of the Damned[/C].  The other way that deck could win is milling with Jace, but with no creatures he won't survive long. 

Unless you run all removal/burn spells, you need creatures to soak up damage and distract opponents from your planeswalkers.  I've been working on a Nicol Bolas deck; I'll post my decklist next.
Here's my Nicol Bolas decklist:

Planeswalkers: 1

[C]Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker[/C] x1

Creatures: 18

[C]Skinrender[/C] x3
[C]Typhoid Rats[/C] x3
[C]Slumbering Dragon[/C] x1
[C]Fog Bank[/C] x4
[C]Tyrant of Discord[/C] x1
[C]Sheoldred, Whispering One[/C] x1
[C]Archwing Dragon[/C] x2
[C]Shimian Specter[/C] x1
[C]Stuffy Doll[/C] x1
[C]Grave Titan[/C] x1

Artifacts: 2

[C]Gilded Lotus[/C] x2

Sorceries: 7

[C]Bonfire of the Damned[/C] x2
[C]Pillar of Flame[/C] x4
[C]Devastation Tide[/C] x1

Instants: 9

[C]Mana Leak[/C] x3
[C]Unsummon[/C] x3
[C]Doom Blade[/C] x3

Lands: 23

[C]Dragonskull Summit[/C] x3
[C]Drowned Catacomb[/C] x3
Island x6
Swamp x7
Mountain x4

Sideboard so far

[C]Tribute to Hunger[/C] x4
[C]Smelt[/C] x4
--------------------------

The idea is to delay until I can play one of the bombs.  Fog Banks are surprisingly helpful at delaying big threats.  Typhoid Rats and Slumbering Dragon help delay attacks, too.  Stuffy Doll is nice if my opponent tries to use any board wipes involving damage.  It's still a WiP, but it's fun to play.
Hey, thanks for replying.

From what I read online, control decks have little or no creatures, which was why I hadn't put any in. I understand what you're saying though, and it does look like relying solely on nicol bolas is not enough. I wouldn't mind adding a couple finishers in there but I'd like to still try to have as few creatures as possible. What would you recommend I add/remove?
I recommend a mono black control deck with Dragonskull Summit Drowned Catacombs and go pretty artifact heavy with Pristine Talisman Mox Opal Lashwrithe Mimic Vat Solemn Simaculrum and Trading Post
If you'd like it to be control, then I suggest taking out one of the Nicole bolas planwswalkers and the jace's and add one tamiyo moon sage. Her plus one ability is awesome for delaying opponents creatures and I would put fog banks in, take out bonfire, it is a heavy to pay unless for miracle, and I would put as many dual lands in (that stay within color range) as possible. If you'd like me to I will post my Nicole bolas deck list...
If you'd like it to be control, then I suggest taking out one of the Nicole bolas planwswalkers and the jace's and add one tamiyo moon sage. Her plus one ability is awesome for delaying opponents creatures and I would put fog banks in, take out bonfire, it is a heavy to pay unless for miracle, and I would put as many dual lands in (that stay within color range) as possible. If you'd like me to I will post my Nicole bolas deck list...

Stupid comment is stupid.

Stupid comment is stupid.

Pot, meet kettle.
Nothing wrong with the Tamiyo suggestion since she's leagues better than Jace and 3 Nicol Bolas is probably pushing it anyway.
Jace does not interact with the board, he only draws cards and mills. Tamiyo is a much better card. She taps threats, draws cards and her ultimate is just amazing.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

Use more ramp, for 1 it thins out your deck so you have a greater chance of getting your desired cards and second allows you to add in some fatties. Try using solemn simulacrum with trading post, such an amazing combo, basically drawing and mana ramp. Try a 5 color approach and add in 2 x to Doors to Nothingness. It sounds gimmicky, however its a win condition and with all the mana ramp you will shut the door more than you think. Nicol Bolas is freaking awesome and my favorite card for this block :P, however cut 1 and add a Karn the Liberated. This is a game finisher as well. Use a couple of Wurmcoil Engines for your fatties, 6/6 and lifelink is really good. I personally added Increasing Ambition for the tutor effect with a double tutor flash back. Also a Last Finale will piss off a monk. Throw in some base removal such as go for the throat, doom blade, etc. Based on what your local competion uses. Add a phyrexian metamorph for a multitude of reasons. Copy a engine, trading post, destroy a legendary creature. Just whatever. I have 4 faithless lootings in my deck to help go through what i want and don't want. The sideboard is the hardest part. I usually run either Negate or Mana leak x 3, a couple of ratchet bombs, red/black control is real strong in my locale so i run celestial purge x 3. I was running Griselbrand x2 and Gem of Beckoning in the sideboard, however i prefered farseek to the Gem and Consecrated Sphinx for addition draw. This is my Preference and most of these cards aren't used alot. There is alot of wins under this decks belt, possible because of the unfamiliar composition most people are people around anti delver lol. If you think this interest you i will post a more complete deck list.