Consuming the Weak + Elemental Pact Warlock FTW!

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
I haven't seen this trick mentioned before, but an Elemental Warlock with MC Wizard (or a Hybrid) can get:
Yorgrix's Brutality = +2/4/6 Poison => Fire Damage with Elemental (more versatility with powers)
Hellfire Master => 5+CHA Fire
Icy Clutch of Stygia => 5/10+CHA Cold
Consuming the Weak => Ongoing 5 Fire every hit
Pernicious Onslaught => Fail = Same damage to adjacent

So, if the target fails:
+4/6 damage next round
15/20+CHA Damage
5 Fire to adjacent enemy (who might well be Vulnerable, too)

If it suceeds:
20/30+CHA*2

Not a bad idea for a Hellish Rebuke addon, no?
You mean like the Minor Action your Warlock's Curse takes? That's hardly a large price to pay for the effect...
Or do you mean the Second Wing 1/encounter? Well worth it, and you're a CONlock, so you have plenty to spare.
You also have to drop (or bloody with a feat) a monster before this works.
Not really. You generally end a fight with at least one Cursed enemy dying. Keep it for the next fight, or even day. It doesn't go away after a rest.

Unless you do something stupid like let it surrender, you're never without an Elemental Pact Boon.
And the problem of PO being adjacent creature, not enemy.  Have to be careful with that one.
That is very true, yes. If it's next to you, however, you're pretty safe, what with the racial Fire Resistance.
Party members might take offense to it though... but hey, eggs...omelets.
I haven't seen this trick mentioned before, but an Elemental Warlock with MC Wizard (or a Hybrid) can get:
Yorgrix's Brutality = +2/4/6 Poison => Fire Damage with Elemental (more versatility with powers)
Hellfire Master => 5+CHA Fire
Icy Clutch of Stygia => 5/10+CHA Cold
Consuming the Weak => Ongoing 5 Fire every hit
Pernicious Onslaught => Fail = Same damage to adjacent

So, if the target fails:
+4/6 damage next round
15/20+CHA Damage
5 Fire to adjacent enemy (who might well be Vulnerable, too)

If it suceeds:
20/30+CHA*2

Not sure where you're getting those numbers. On a Failure, one adjacent creature takes 5 fire damage and you will be dealing +4/6 damage to the target next round. There is no 15/20+Cha.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Not really. You generally end a fight with at least one Cursed enemy dying. Keep it for the next fight, or even day. It doesn't go away after a rest.

Unless you do something stupid like let it surrender, you're never without an Elemental Pact Boon.

What doesn't go away after a rest?
The ability to apply Vuln on the next target you cursed via the pact boon.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Ha, that's funny.  I never thought about that, but the boon doesn't really put an expiration on it's use.  That's pretty handy.

This particular combo has been discussed before.  At least I know I've brought up a few times myself the synergy between Consuming the Weak + Hellfire Master + Elemental Pact.  Any hybrid centered around Eldritch Strike will use it well, as it's quite easy to get ES converted to fire damage (looking at Warlock|Executioner, or |Warlord that leads heavily towards striking).  Anything tiefling is going to be a little starved for feats to begin with, though, and adding hybrid to that only exacerbates it, so you can really only afford the extras like Icy Clutch and Pernicious Onslaught if you're a straight Warlock.

As far as attuning yourself to fire, you've basically got two options, outside of getting lucky often.  Take multiple short rests until you roll fire (your DM might not allow this, though there's nothing in the rules disallowing it) or burn your second wind immediately after each short rest (again, your DM might protest, but RAR it's not illegal).  I guess you could use Secrets of Belial to grab that minor-action second wind util from the Ranger, but there are way better uses of that feat.
One thing about elemental warlocks.  You can convert force to your affinity element.  So get a force weapon, change the arcane power to force and then to your element.

However, if you want to deal fire with all of your warlock attacks, you just need to pick up gloves of eldritch admixture and change the curse damage to fire so you do fire with your curse.

Not sure where you're getting those numbers. On a Failure, one adjacent creature takes 5 fire damage and you will be dealing +4/6 damage to the target next round. There is no 15/20+Cha.

From my reading, it looks like Hellfire Master deals damage when they make a save, not necceserily successfuly. :D
I was just aplying the Vuln 10/15 you get at Paragon/Epic from the Elemental Pact.
So 15/20+CHA total damage if they fail the save, beyond the ongoing staying on.

One thing about elemental warlocks.  You can convert force to your affinity element.  So get a force weapon, change the arcane power to force and then to your element.

However, if you want to deal fire with all of your warlock attacks, you just need to pick up gloves of eldritch admixture and change the curse damage to fire so you do fire with your curse.

For this, sadly, you need to actually have your AFFINITY be Fire. Getting Fire damage never was a problem, that was (assuming you don't want to spend a surge every fight).
You realize that with a force weapon you can change hellish rebuke to match your damage type right?  So you could have hellish rebuke do cold/acid/thunder/lightning.

How are you putting the ongoing damage, or a save ends effect, on the target?
You realize that with a force weapon you can change hellish rebuke to match your damage type right?  So you could have hellish rebuke do cold/acid/thunder/lightning.

How are you putting the ongoing damage, or a save ends effect, on the target?

Consuming the Weak Feat + Elemental Pact Boon + Warlock's Curse.
I guess that if you are a dwarf you can just use your second wind (without spending the surge) at the start of each combat to set your affinity to fire. Is that legal?

I'm not sure if you can opt to NOT spend a surge, but you can, in Epic, if you're a Mul, take this:

Inexhaustible Resources

Epic Tier
Prerequisite: 21st level, mul
Benefit: When you use your second wind, you can forgo spending a healing surge and regaining hit points to instead gain temporary hit points equal to your healing surge value.

Or, if we two-fold into infernal we can take Devil's Favor at paragon. The surge will be lost, but at least we gain a nice buff for the effort.

Devil's Favor would be perfect because you don't waste a healing surge and it does give you a bonus.  You need to have infernal anyways in order to have hellish rebuke.

From my reading, it looks like Hellfire Master deals damage when they make a save, not necceserily successfuly. :D
I was just aplying the Vuln 10/15 you get at Paragon/Epic from the Elemental Pact.
So 15/20+CHA total damage if they fail the save, beyond the ongoing staying on.

Your reading is wrong. "saves" =/= "makes a save" which is what it would say if that was what it did.
Since you are MC wizard already you can power swap for Herbal Healing which will let you second wind as minor every encounter, then just grab a cincture of vivacity so you can second wind at the start of every encounter if needed to set yourself to fire without wasting a surge.
Herbal Healing, huh. Yeah, Wizards are Leaders too, are they, now? Looks like a very good option.

At this point, I'm starting to suspect a Hybrid Wizard|Warlock would be better.
Pick Hellish Rebuke and Fiery Burst as your at-wills.
Pacts: Dark + Elemental (Twofold Pact).

You'll have access to more damage feats than you can take!
Both good calls. If you do not wish to spend a feat for a power swap the order adept theme also allows you to take herbal healing.

You would have to take hellish rebuke as your starting at will and hybrid into infernal.  Then take twofold pact into elemental at paragon.
Another option is to hybrid cavalier. One of the virtues lets you use your second wind as a minor to heal an ally. 

As a tiefling with elemental pact, you may already want to go con/cha, so hybrid talent for plate armor isn't a terrible tradeoff.

This is likely not the *most* optimal way of doing it though.    
I made a quick sample build of this concept. At level 12 since we need 3 paragon feats tomake to "bloom". The build is incredibly feat starved, but should be able to do some decent damage. I worked around the force weapliment by selecting powers that naturally fits the elemental affinity. I think the power selection worked out well, but the feats are definitely a problem (not room for improved defences, or even armor proficiency leather...)

Anyway, here goes. Comments please

Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Chant, level 12
Tiefling, Warlock/Wizard, Master of Flame
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid) Option: Infernal Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock Option: Hybrid Warlock Will
Twofold Pact Option: Elemental Pact

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 9, CON 20, DEX 14, INT 20, WIS 11, CHA 13

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 17, DEX 13, INT 15, WIS 10, CHA 10

AC: 24 Fort: 24 Ref: 24 Will: 22
HP: 75 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 18

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +16, Heal +11, History +16, Streetwise +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +8, Athletics +5, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +7, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +11, Insight +6, Intimidate +7, Nature +6, Perception +6, Religion +11, Stealth +10, Thievery +8

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Tiefling Racial Power: Infernal Wrath
Warlock's Curse Power: Warlock's Curse
Warlock Attack 1: Hellish Rebuke
Wizard Attack 1: Scorching Burst
Warlock Attack 1: Vampiric Embrace
Wizard Attack 1: Flaming Sphere
Warlock Attack 1: Chromatic Bolt
Warlock Pact Boon 1: Accursed Affinity
Wizard Utility 2: Herbal Healing
Wizard Attack 3: Fire Shroud
Warlock Attack 5: Tyrannical Threat
Warlock Utility 6: Unspeakable Bond
Wizard Attack 7: Fire Burst
Wizard Attack 9: Melf's Minute Meteors
Warlock Utility 10: Ethereal Sidestep
Master of Flame Attack 11: Fanning the Flames
Master of Flame Utility 12: Burning Transformation

FEATS
Level 1: Wrathful Warrior
Level 2: Staff Expertise
Level 4: Hellfire Blood
Level 6: Dual Implement Spellcaster
Level 8: Implement Focus (Staff)
Level 11: Twofold Pact
Level 11: Devil's Favor
Level 12: Consuming the Weak

ITEMS
Staff of Ruin +3 x1
Rod of Brutality +2 x1
Magic Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +3 x1
Amulet of Protection +3 x1
Khyber Shard of the Fiery Depth (heroic tier)
====== End ======

I think this is better than implement focus

Hellfire Arcanist
Heroic Tier
Prerequisite: Tiefling, wizard
Benefit: You gain a +2 feat bonus to damage rolls with fire attacks. If you push, pull, or slide a creature with a fear attack, increase that forced movement by 2 squares.
The bonus increases to +3 at 11th level and +4 at 21st level.
I looked over everything in the main post and there are too many pieces.

Needed:
-Spellscar
-Wizard(MC or Hybrid)
-Elemental Pact
-Infernal Pact(for Hellish Rebuke)
-Tiefling
-Dark Pact(for yorgrix feat)

Of course all this could wait until epic and if you add in a mark you could do hell's burning mark and give everyone you mark vulnerable 5 fire.       
I looked over everything in the main post and there are too many pieces.

Needed:
-Spellscar
-Wizard(MC or Hybrid)
-Elemental Pact
-Infernal Pact(for Hellish Rebuke)
-Tiefling
-Dark Pact(for yorgrix feat)

Of course all this could wait until epic and if you add in a mark you could do hell's burning mark and give everyone you mark vulnerable 5 fire.       

I always thought it'd be fun to do a Warlock|Swordmage (INT/CHA) that goes MC Wizard for Consuming the Weak and Hellfire Master, taking Hell's Burning Mark in epic. 

You mark an enemy to give him 5 fire vuln, then boon-curse him to increase the vuln to 20, and charge him.  On his turn, he can either attack you and eat Touch of Command (and then die, I'm sure I don't need to elaborate how), attack an ally and eat an Eldritch Strike from your Aegis, or do nothing, all while dealing with 25 ongoing fire damage with another 25 + CHA mod waiting for him on his save.  Once you hit lvl 23 you can grab Unwilling Betrayal too, so that you can pull this catch-22 move twice every combat.  You also have the freedom to go whatever you want for your opening pact.

The requirements are significant, but not prohibitively so:
EDIT: Hybrid Warlock|Swordmage, duh.
MC Wizard
Hellfire Master
Consuming the Weak
Twofold Pact - Elemental

If you REALLY want to go balls deep, you can add:
Malec-Keth Janissary
Lasting Frost
Wintertouched
Icy Clutch of Stygia
Cold weapon/Arcane Admixture

You don't get nearly the return on your investment for these, but you'll add 5 cold vuln and combat advantage to your attacks, and another 15+CHA mod on the ongoing save.  You wont get it all going until epic though, as you've got to fit in your feat taxes too.
Paladin Hybrid Variant?  Start as Sorcerer-king for Mindbite Scorn, Grab Crimson Fire for d10 curse dice, since you are hybrid you can start with Hellish Rebuke.  Grab off action attack encounter powers (Delban's, Price of Cowardice, Killing Flames).  Spam Hellish Rebuke on your action, maybe staff expertise so you don't provoke.  Or AIP Heavy Blade for a Firewind Blade.

If you don't want d10 curse dice, you could probably Hybrid Cavalier and save a few feats (opens up pact, saves Mindbite Scorn, Crimson Fire, Acolyte Power for the second wind minor action utility).

Would have liked to fit in fighter somewhere for Avernian Knight PP, namely the level 16 feature Hellish Mark, but we need the MC Wizard.  Deva in epic for Soul of the World could be interesting.  Grab Genasi for Elemental Challenge to make divine challenge into fire damage.  Really missing the old Windrise Ports now, lol.

Oh, if you didn't have it in there, I would highly suggest White Lotus Riposte (non-master) and Arcane Admixture (Eldritch Strike, Fire), Pete.  A little more incentive not to attack you.  The first guy to hit you takes:
Cha + 20 (white lotus) (no Primordial Blade on this part I think, since the damage source is the feat, right?)
+ 3d6 + 1d4 + cha + 20 + some statics (that don't require a hit) fire (infernal wrath)
+ 2d8 + cha + other statics necrotic  + 1d4 + 20 Fire (Delban's Deadly Attention)
+ 3d6/8 +20 (curse)
and if they were adjacent to you when they hit you, Firewind Blade +1 + enh + 20.  
So something in the range of: + 2d4 + 6d6 + 2d8 + 100(vuln) + Cha x2 + Enh x2 + other statics x2 (ish, lol).  
At this point, it looks pretty good for the mob to attack someone else, and just take the Eldritch Strike + curse + Firewind Blade. ~ 2d8 +3d6 + 1d4 + 1 + enh + cha x1 + other statics + 40.  About half I suppose.

edit: Formatting for ease of reading.

Ours is a world where people don't know what they want, and are willing to go through hell to get it. -Don Marquis
Thinking outloud again...
Hybrid Desert Wind Monk | Warlock.  Almost want to say drop the MC Wizard, grab Slashing Kama for the ongoing part, but we really miss out on Hellfire Master.   Question, is the ongoing damage from Slashing Kama fire damage or untyped?  If untyped its an additional save ends effect applied by a fire attack power (Desert Winds Flurry of Blows has the fire keyword), and if its fire damage, we probably won't need Consuming the Weak as much.

Play it like a regular Monk who can put Vulnerable 5/10/15 fire and tag it often.  Pick fire powers (seems to be one at every encounter level, not sure how good they are) desert wind flurry, firewind blade.  Firewind Blade is heavy blade only, so Soaring Blade looks decent, but the level 11 feature to use heavy blades in place of light blades for monk powers is only useful for Iron Soul monks.

No Hyperflurry monk, but might manage.
Ours is a world where people don't know what they want, and are willing to go through hell to get it. -Don Marquis
It works very well as a Monk. But then, you're a monk, so you're stuck with rather crappy power selection.