[Format Idea] Mishra's Method

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
It's an idea everyone has had at some point. It seems like a bad idea. A really bad idea. 

What if we tried to lose? A format where the object of the game was to lose before your opponent, concession was claiming a win?

Seems unfun, right? But after considerable laughter, my friend and I have found many decks that should be viable. A varied meta is always at least worth exploring.

Rules

1) All Rules of Magic: the Gathering are in effect, with the twist that all instances of the phrases "win(s) the game" and "lose(s) the game" in the Comprehensive Rules are reversed. Instances on these phrases on cards are not changed.

2) All cards from all sets are legal, with the exception of a banlist. Un-cards are legal.

Banlist (in progress)

Spoils of the Vault
Lim-Dul's Vault
Necropotence
Plunge into Darkness
Cavern Harpy
Channel
Deepwood Ghoul
Fire Covenant
Mischievious Poltergeist
Soul Channeling
Unspeakable Symbol
Wall of Blood
Demonic Consultation

If Black Lotus and friends still prove too powerful (we expect a combo-heavy meta), we may instead use a Restricted List.

Now that that's out of the way, let's ask: What deks are viable here? Obviously, there's Final Fortune/Warrior's Oath/Last Chance. What about Lich? Paradigm Shift seems good. Hermit Druid without the typical win conditions, and of course Pacts. Lich could be very interesting, and Abyssal Persecutor might be the best creature in the game.

At the very least, a combo/control meta with a ton of interesting ways to lose.

Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
This seems like it could be cool, but balancing the meta would be so difficult it may just not be worth it.

Momus, the Greek god of sarcasm

Pray to him.

Anything with "Pay X Life: effect" would need to be banned.  Hibernation Sliver, Lurking Evil, Spatial Binding, Souldrinker etc

There are also all of those pact cards that make you lose the game immediately.  Intervention Pact, Pact of Negation, Pact of the Titan, Slaughter Pact, Summoner's Pact

And then there are all of the other lame cards that cause you to lose the game Amulet of Quoz etc.

There's just too many ways to purposely lose in this game...
Here is a first turn win deck, if you have this in your hand : Dark Ritual, Entomb, Swamp, Exhume, the rest doesn't matter.

Step 1: Play & tap the Swamp to cast Dark Ritual.
Step 2: PLay Entomb and get Phage the Untouchable in your graveyard. 
Step 3 : Exhume Phage and lose the game.

It's even cheaper than most, if not all , first turn win decks!
My decks, mostly casuals, but some I use online with some small changes: http://www.mtgvault.com/Profile.aspx?UserID=91484
Not really....  Swamp, Dark Ritual, Lurking Evil or Trespassing Souleater or Immolating Souleater pay all of your life and die.  Costs like $0.50.
I'd prefer: any manaproducing land that doesn't enter tapped + Hex Parasite. nothing more needed. maybe not the cheapest moneywise (see above for that) but easy and only 2 cards.
I missed Hex Parasite and Lurking Evil.

Reanimate+Phage was one we had already found and didn't think would be too broken, since it requires 3 cards to win turn 1, and 2 cards to win turn 3.

Pacts, we feel, are safe, because they take one turn to work. Rite of Flame, Final Fortune is faster (but weak to Pact of Negation).

All of the decks mentioned here cannot win against Abyssal Persecutor without additional cards. Reanimator in particular is easily hated, and very, very complex in the mirror (in response to your Exhume, Entomb, Surgical Extraction, I lose).
I'd prefer: any manaproducing land that doesn't enter tapped + Hex Parasite. nothing more needed. maybe not the cheapest moneywise (see above for that) but easy and only 2 cards.

This...doesn't work, you need to pay X mana as well.

Sure it does. X can be any amount of mana, unless it says otherwise. So just pay 2 life 10 times and you win.

Burn decks could be interesting in this format.
Kingofgames01 a.k.a. Dr.Kog I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Quotes
112912639 wrote:
111004049 wrote:
111489681 wrote:
Be on later, pumping iron now
Pimping Irene? Poor Irene! Why can't you just leave that poor girl alone? She didn't ask for ANY of this!
Yeah she did. Did you see what she wore? Purple *graped*

Sure it does. X can be any amount of mana, unless it says otherwise. So just pay 2 life 10 times and you win.

Burn decks could be interesting in this format.

Gogo Char!!
Oh, you're right. 
Threw together a decklist. As you can see, I opted for A Vintage-esque Restricted List, because Black Lotus is broken in every format.

This format allows you to do a lot of cool things. For instance, Summoner's Pact fuels all of the pitch cards, plus Chrome Mox, plus it doubles as a losecon. Commandeer is absolutely bonkers if the other decks are so combo-centric.
RDW ~ just burn yourself.

Selective Memory and blue spell that does the same thing with lands in your library.  Win off not being able to draw.
I actually tried to make this a format with my play grope but ended havieing to ban so many cards to avoid 1st turn wins. You can't also use cards that give an opponent life and Abyssal Persecutor is fun as well.
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.