Repeat Performance deck help please

4 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hey folks, I am running this edited event deck.
I am look for assistance in making it better for standard.

I have 4xCloudshift and 4xOblivion Ring in my sideboard.
and im so confused as to what i would even want to pull out to put in sideboard when needed.

please help me make this better.
Thanks!

4xSunpetal Grove
4xRazorverge Thicket
2xPlains
11xForest

2xArbor Elf
4xAvacyn's Pilgrim
4xLlanowar Elves

1xGarruk Relentless

1xCraterhoof Behemoth
1xAcidic Slime
3xBorderland Ranger
3xWolfir Silverheart
2xElvish Visionary
1xMwonvuli Beast Tracker
4xRoaring Primadox
1xThragtusk
1xGreen Sun's Zenith
1xGeist-Honored Monk
1xStingerfling Spider
4xBlade Splicer

4xLead the stampede
1xBrutalizer Exarch

Hey folks, I am running this edited event deck.
I am look for assistance in making it better for standard.

I have 4xCloudshift and 4xOblivion Ring in my sideboard.
and im so confused as to what i would even want to pull out to put in sideboard when needed.

please help me make this better.
Thanks!

4xSunpetal Grove
4xRazorverge Thicket
2xPlains
11xForest

2xArbor Elf
4xAvacyn's Pilgrim
4xLlanowar Elves

1xGarruk Relentless

1xCraterhoof Behemoth
1xAcidic Slime
3xBorderland Ranger
3xWolfir Silverheart
2xElvish Visionary
1xMwonvuli Beast Tracker
4xRoaring Primadox
1xThragtusk
1xGreen Sun's Zenith
1xGeist-Honored Monk
1xStingerfling Spider
4xBlade Splicer

4xLead the stampede
1xBrutalizer Exarch

I'm going to make an assumption (which could be wrong, but it seems to be pretty standard across the board) that your metagame is full of Mono Black Zombies, Delver, Vampires, and possibly even Red Deck Wins. Outside that assumption, you will have to make adjustments to what you find to be more of a threat to your deck within your own metagame. 

What I like about this deck:
Garruk Rentless/Garruk, the Veil Cursed: You're bringing out more threats in the form of Green and Black Wolf tokens, which is going to make it harder for an opponent without a board sweeper to get an attack in without sacrificing a creature. This isn't so much the case with Zombie decks that run Blood Artist and Mortarpod or decks that run flying that can come in and deal with Garruk while he's at 1 or 2. That being said, he also acts like a Birthing Pod without the chain requirement where you can pull out threats faster than your opponent can answer them. 

Blade Splicer: I love the human 3 drop that brings Golems with it while granting them first strike.

Geist Honored Monk: This presents a unquie way of being a threat to Delver decks that have no premenant solution to the Monk. In Repeat Performance, being mostly creatures, Geist Honored Monk is going to hit the board as a 3/3+ and bring some flying tokens with it. Delver can swing right over the Monk, but you can then turn around and crash into their life total for big numbers they can't afford.

Acidic Slime: This is probably the only form of control that green has and also one of the reasons I said Delver needs to find a way of dealing with the Monk. AS comes in and wrecks Enchanments like Oblivion Ring and Pacifism, which see a lot of play in Token decks. It can also wreck land, which can set your opponent back a turn if they need to hard cast a creature. It also wrecks the match up against Naya and Bant Pod, since you're either destorying Pod or Land, either one setting your opponent back a turn, if not just slowing them down. 

Avacyn's Pilgrim: I love mana elves, and increasing your white mana access for decks like these are important.

Stingerfling Spider: Another answer to Delver

Elvish Visionary: Hand refreshment is always nice. 

Borderland Ranger: Comes in turn two and can really fix your mana base.

Thragtusk: There is no downside to this card unless it's countered. 5 extra life is always a great thing to have and if it eats a Doom Blade, it's bringing a 3/3 to replace it. 

What I Don't Like:

Arbor Elf/Llanowar Elves: I understand you're running 21 Land (which seems low for this sort of deck), but I feel Bird of Paradise does a much better job than either of the two you have listed and it allows your to run 8 mana dorks instead of 10 which leads to dead draws.  

Craterhoof Behemoth: As a singleton 8 drop, it's just too expensive to be game changing when you need it to. 

Mwonvuli Beast Tracker: You only have 2 creatures you can pull with it, and as a singleton, it doesn't do as much as I think you're thinking it will do. 

I feel I should just say if I haven't mentioned them directly, any singleton in this deck.

Roaring Primadox: I understand you work with a deck of EtB (Enter The Battlefield) and PiG (Put In Graveyard), so I can see the inital attraction to this card, but it's bad (at least as a four of). It does let you bring creatures back to the field, at the price of having to hard cast them again and lose field presence. Restoration Angel does this so much better, since it doesn't send them back to your hand and it has Flash. 

Mana Base: I'll be honest when I say I have concern about only running 21 lands in a deck like this since it doesn't seem you took into consideration your mana curve (you have a lot of expensive [5+] spells

What I Would Recommend (Main Board)
Primevil Titan/Sun Titan: Primevil is a great mana base fixer and it will let you cast more expensive spells and still have left over mana for things like Gavony Township. Sun Titan is going to bring back your 3- threats like Splicer or the Ranger.

Gavony Township: Being able to beef up your creature can be key for this deck. If you top deck into mana dorks, you can Gavony Township Avacyn's Pilgrim or Birds and give yourself a 2/2 Human or a 1/2 Flyier which can now block spirit or soldier tokens. 

Birds of Paradise: Much better than Llanowar or Arbor Elf.

Sigarda, Host of Herons: This may seem like a weird card to play, but hear me out. It's a 5/5 for 5 with flying and hexproof (which makes creature removal almost useless against her). It also stops your opponent from making you sacrifice your permenants to abilities which throws a kink into Pod decks that run Sheoldred or black decks that want you to sacrifice creatures to feed their needs.

Ravorverge Thicket: Awesome early game and being searched by Primevil Titan since it would come in tapped regardless. 

Fiend Hunter: Three words sum up this card; answers to threats. You're answer to most creature threats is to drop another creature that can run it over. When that isn't possible, you have Fiend Hunter. 

1 more Thragtusk

Ajani, Caller of the Pride is a good card to consider if you have it. The reason I say this is because like Gavony you can pump your mana dork into a viable threat that makes your opponent need to consider using either removal or a board sweeper earlier than they would have liked to. It can also grant one of your creatures Double Strike and Flying, which is a potentially lethal combination.

What I Recommend (Side Board): 
2x Oblivion Ring: This gives you a form of permenant control for anything wrecking your board first game.
2x Celestial Purge: This is an awesome instant for Zombie decks since it exiles, which means Geralf's Messanger doesn't pass GO and wont come back with Undying.
1x Wurmcoil Engine: Contary to popular belief, Wurmcoil is a great card against the aggro and the black matchup where it's immunity to GtfT is fantastic. If this were a Pod Deck it would be a must have MB. That said, this is not a Pod Deck, 
1x Sun Titan: Splicer, Visionary, Hunter, Ranger...nothing else need be said. 
2x Tormod's Crypt: Another card to deal with Zombies that you can use to make sure they stay off the board. For 0 cost and instant use, well worth it to wreck someone's day.  

The other seven cards will have to depend on your metagame, but Dismember and Gut Shot as usually favorites in FNM.

Hope this has given you something to think about as you go back and revise,  

I know this is old but I am also using this event deck.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/casual-decks/threads/3929366

My ideas/changes can be found above - I've tried to keep a smooth mana curve.

Wolfir Silverheart is an excellent creature but I cannot afford him - I prefer Acidic Slime and Thragtusk for the same mana cost.

I would keep it in the casual forum, it no longer has a place in standard, most of the cards you are asking about left over a year ago and the rest is rotating in 6 days.