Starting to make a Dragon deck, what should I add that fits?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay so I just got a ton of Red Magic 2013 cards and have started my build on a dragon deck, here's what I have so far:

Creatures:
Goblin Arsonist x2
Mindclaw Shaman x2
Bladetusk Boar x3
Wall of Fire x2
Dragon Hatchling x4
Furnace Whelp x4
Slumbering Dragon x1
Thundermaw Hellkite x1

Non-Creatures:
Volcanic Hammer x3
Chandra's Fury x4
Mark of Mutiny x3
Flames of the Firebrand x3
Magmaquake x2
Smelt x3
Turn to Slag x3
Volcanic Geyser x1
Cleaver Riot x1
Blaze x1
Worldfire x1
Gilded Lotus x1

Land:
Mountain x24

It's a little heavy with spells which I am trying to cut down on, and use older burns that are more cost worthy. I am also planning on adding 3 more Slumbering Dragons when I can and one more Thundermaw Hellkite.  I am trying to find more dragons that would work well with this deck, and make it a full dragon deck. I have looked at Preyseizer Dragon , Moonveil Dragon , Kilnmouth Dragon and Balefire Dragon to be a few possibilites. The strategy is mostly to use spells to burn and/or take down monsters or artifacts in order to keep me alive until I have enough mana to cast the larger dragons which will become my win condition. Ideas?
isolate everything that is a dragon from your creatures.kilnmouth, moonveil and balefire look good. i would not risk getting rid of any dragons with preyseizer because they are pricey.also look at mordant dragon. build a sideboard of cards that might fit, and narrow down your deck, add new cards, and so on. also zektar shrine expedition might be nice. add in a few more burn spells.also furryborn helkite is nice. just makesure that you have not to many high mana drops too. that would be unfortunate.

Auto card is your friend. Lightning bolt. -->. [ c] lightning bolt [ / c]. --> lightning bolt or replace c with deck and lightning bolt with your decklist.

idk but i find  shunt has server me well when it comes to ppl trying to destroy my dragons. you could possibly add  hunted dragon   some ppl dont like it but i do archwing dragon and idd also toss in [dragon's claw] for a small amount of life gain
Any ideas for what sorcery/instants that I could take out or switch with something that is less mana costly but has the same idea? Just trying to cut down a little on the non-creature cards in order to slim it down in order to pump out the big dragons sooner and still have enough mana to play them while being defensive.
you could go with bonfire of the damned or thundrous wrath. it might be good to increase the size of world fire by one just to add a little pizzaz. but you would want more cheap kill/burn spells to add so you can win. like i was saying earlier and i see you noticed, keep a good mana curve. you can always resort to taking out some dragons to replace them with something else, you had some potential earlier to make a goblin/dragon deck, you could try that, or dragon/vamp... you see where im heading.

Auto card is your friend. Lightning bolt. -->. [ c] lightning bolt [ / c]. --> lightning bolt or replace c with deck and lightning bolt with your decklist.

I am actually building a red goblin deck seperately but depending on costs I may have to combine them. I'm not sure what you meant by I had the potential 'earlier' to make a goblin/dragon deck however lol. I may have to look for that Thunderous Wrath just for the fact that if I draw it and play it instantly its a 5 health burn card (if I understand how it's played, I have never seen the miracle term before) But the Bonfire of the Damned seems to be a bit of a high mana cost card to do substantial damage. I might rather have a few smaller ones than one big one if its for a burn/creature destruction.
yeah you got down the miracle.
wat i was saying is if you want, to lessen the stress of waiting for you dragons to come out, you could combone the goblins and dragons into one deck.

the nice part of bonfire is that you can do the dammage directly to a player with none to the creatures or vise versa, kill all the creatures with no dammage to thier direction. it gives you some flexibility, even without the miracle 

Since you are considering Kilnmouth Dragon, I presume you don't care if recommendations are not Standard legal?

For dueling, the Dragonstorm decks fare well, casting Dstorm off of Rite of Flame, Seething Song, Pyretic Ritual, and Lotus Bloom to fetch Bogardan Hellkites or any other dragons (preferably with haste).

For multiplayer games, you can often can afford the time to use mana rocks and other such permanent means to play dragons.

Cheers!

A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
In addition to those other mana spells you'll want Geosurge for the really big fatties.

Should up all the good dragons to 4x instead of 1x.  Bladetusk Boar can go away and same with Chandra's Fury (or at least sideboard this).  As other people have mentioned before, Bonfire of the Damned is definitely solid burn even if you don't have it as a miracle as a board wiper on your opponent's side.  Definitely scrap the Volcanic Hammers.  There are so many other cards that are strictly better - Searing Spear, Lightning Bolt, Incinerate, Chain Lightning.

If you're going to run Preyseizer Dragon, run some Dragon Fodder and Krenko's Command for...well for dragon fodder.

if you are adding in goblins, krenko mob boss might also be good, also, reforge the soul might come in handy, especially if you dont have a good hand, or if you have like 1 card.

In addition to those other mana spells you'll want Geosurge for the really big fatties.

Should up all the good dragons to 4x instead of 1x.  Bladetusk Boar can go away and same with Chandra's Fury (or at least sideboard this).  As other people have mentioned before, Bonfire of the Damned is definitely solid burn even if you don't have it as a miracle as a board wiper on your opponent's side.  Definitely scrap the Volcanic Hammers.  There are so many other cards that are strictly better - Searing Spear, Lightning Bolt, Incinerate, Chain Lightning.

If you're going to run Preyseizer Dragon, run some Dragon Fodder and Krenko's Command for...well for dragon fodder.

Yeah I am taking the non-dragons out when I have the cards to be able to. And I do have those Searing Spears so I can trade them out, not sure why I didn't notice it. I have no Lightning Bolts however or the other two at the moment. Is there any other cards similar to Chandra's Fury that deal damage to both the player and all their creatures or just all their creatures? I would like at least one card that can take down a few smaller monsters at once.
Cheaper Dragons like those Dragon Hatchlings can get pretty ugly with Crucible of Fire, and your big dragons turn downright nasty with it.
Kingofgames01 a.k.a. Dr.Kog I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Quotes
112912639 wrote:
111004049 wrote:
111489681 wrote:
Be on later, pumping iron now
Pimping Irene? Poor Irene! Why can't you just leave that poor girl alone? She didn't ask for ANY of this!
Yeah she did. Did you see what she wore? Purple *graped*
Cheaper Dragons like those Dragon Hatchlings can get pretty ugly with Crucible of Fire, and your big dragons turn downright nasty with it.

Oh wow, that looks like a great card to keep my little dragons alive until the bigger ones can come out. I will for sure look for that card!
Bonfire of the Damned has already been mentioned for one-sided board wipe...

Since you're doing dragons and they generally all fly, maybe Earthquake or those types of similar spells could take out everything.  If you don't like X spells, there's Breath of Darigaaz or Flamebreak.
Also, as krichaiushii said, spells like Geosurge, Pyretic Ritual, and Rite of Flame can be useful forgetting out larger dragons earlier, or even dropping an early Crucible. If you plan on using dragons like Kilnmouth Dragon that can be used for removal, you could probably drop a handful of those burn spells to make room.
Kingofgames01 a.k.a. Dr.Kog I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Quotes
112912639 wrote:
111004049 wrote:
111489681 wrote:
Be on later, pumping iron now
Pimping Irene? Poor Irene! Why can't you just leave that poor girl alone? She didn't ask for ANY of this!
Yeah she did. Did you see what she wore? Purple *graped*
Sign In to post comments