Eldangard - Some cards I don't like

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Set #3 of the Eldangard block is slowly nearing completion, despite constant distractions.  But there are a few cards that I'm not too fond of that I'm tempted to just bury in the set as filler content or something...
But I'm not gonna do that!  I'm gonna post some of the cards that I have issues with or maybe feel like cutting, and hopefully get some feedback.  Who knows, maybe I can fix them, or they're not as bad as I think.

World's Edge Journey  
Instant (Uncommon)
Exile target creature. At the beginning of the next end step, that creature’s controller creates a token that’s a copy of it.

The above makes a bit more sense in context, but even then it seems slightly parasitic and confusing for no good reason.  I'm pushing the "tokens matter" theme in the third set, and maybe overdoing it a bit, with lots of effects that specifically affect (or exclude) token creatures.  I'm still using the Duplicate mechanic, which allows you to "kick" a creature spell to create a token copy of the creature when it enters the battlefield, and so there are some weird things like this:

Thengall Warmonger
Creature - Human Soldier (Rare)
Duplicate (You may pay an additional as you cast this spell. If you do, when this creature enters the battlefield, create a token that’s a copy of it.)
Vigilance
If Thengall Warmonger is a token, other creatures you control get +1/+1
2/2

Lavaspew Brute
Creature - Elemental Shaman (Uncommon)
Duplicate (You may pay an additional  as you cast this spell. If you do, when this creature enters the battlefield, create a token that’s a copy of it.)
When Lavaspew Brute enters the battlefield as a token, it deals 4 damage to target creature or player.
2/2

I almost made a 1/1 black creature with a huge Duplicate cost and had the ability "As long as this creature is a token, it gets +5/+5, has flying, and is a Demon in addition to its other types", but it just felt too weird.  Maybe the Warmonger is too weird too.  

Dazzling Plumage
Enchantment - Aura (Uncommon)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature doesn’t untap during its controller’s untap step.
Sacrifice Dazzling Plumage: Create two 1/1 blue Bird creature tokens with flying.

I'm really struggling to find more ways for Blue to create tokens.  Makes me wish I'd flavored them as Illusions or something more nebulous rather than Birds.  This one might be alright with the proper flavor, but it just feels... bleh.

Ornate Funeral
Enchantment (Rare)
Whenever a creature dies, end the turn unless the active player pays (Exile all spells and abilities on the stack. The current player discards down to his or her maximum hand size. Damage wears off, and “this turn” and “until end of turn” effects end.)

Maybe this is an area of the game best left unexplored.  Seems dangerous.

Everburning Flame
Sorcery (Common)
Everburning Flame deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
Add to your mana pool.

And one last big mythic:

Virthand, Glory Reaper
Legendary Creature - Angel Avatar (Mythic)
Flying, lifelink
XX: When target nontoken creature other than Virthand, Glory Reaper dies this turn, you create X token copies of it.
4/5

(EDIT: X-mana symbol still doesn't work?  What's the fix for that again?)
(EDIT: Tried Mown's suggestion but didn't get it to work.  Do I use "mc" tags around it or what?) 
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
Most commonly :x:. Don't have time for the rest of your post.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I prefer the "gets +5/+5 and is a Demon as long as it is a token" concept to the Warmonger. It is cleaner, doesn't complicate the board as much and is more flavorful (the token is a Demon because it is a darker side of the creature. Why is the Warmonger token suddenly anthemning?).

Though I'm still not a fan of duplicate. It seems like it is rather clunky to play with, particularly in limited.

I love Ornate Funeral and Virthand. World's Edge Journey seems like a fine twist to Cloudshift, given how important tokens are in this block.
Sorry, I'm stupid, they changed it to xm instead of x after the migration. You can find them under the smilies.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Green pushes the graveyard-recursion aspect of the card a bit more, but in a set where every color gets huge amounts of token generation, I'm trying to push Blue as the color that's best at making token copies of other creatures. (Although both Green and Red have their own variations where it felt right)  Either black, white or green could reasonably bring a creature back from the grave, but if you're going to turn it into a Rite of Replication, then Blue feels best to me.  At least in this particular set.  On the other hand, the game needs more excuses to have enemy-wedge Legends...  It's compelling.

Adding tapping to the cost might be reasonable, but it always bugs me to see big creatures that really want to attack using tap abilities that discourage them from attacking.  I think the mana cost is high enough that any combo that can exploit it to create insane amounts of tokens is jumping through enough hoops that they deserve it.  Infinite combos are not necessarily degenerate.  I'm trying hard to think of some way to make it work, but apart from Priest of Urabrask and some sort of mana-converting ability (plus at least nine mana to kick-start it, and a sacrifice engine) I'm not seeing anything.  Spending that much mana should give you something pretty amazing.

Oh, and "Create a _____ token" is an intentional departure from the proper Magic syntax.  I've probably got close to a hundred token-making effects throughout all three sets, and the traditional formatting seemed needlessly wordy to me.  I was inspired by the recent change from "is put into the graveyard from the battlefield" to "dies", although my change doesn't have nearly the same brutal efficiency.  

Riorvard:  I hadn't considered the "dark reflection" aspect of the flavor.  A few creatures in the set already have "power at a price" Duplicate costs that cause the token copy to hurt you.  Turning into a demon was rejected because it felt too much like "Create a 6/6 Demon token" rather than a true duplicate effect.  The newest version gives you a Demon token when the token copy dies instead.  Which also feels a little weird, but I like it.

Anyway, given the backstory behind the set, I think it fits the Warmonger even better.  I always intended White to be leading an unjust war against the other nations (backed by the power of necromancy disguised as a divine gift).  The Warmonger is a strong fighter by himself, but his darker half is ready to lead the charge and crush all opposition to Thengall's glory.  Although I wonder if another ability might fit better.  Maybe if it were +1/+0 instead?

Any thoughts on the Blue aura or the Everlasting Flame? 
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
Sign In to post comments