Different Commander Purposes?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys, I've been trying to get more into commander.  It's a fun format that has longer (and in my opinion, more fun) games to play, and I've beem hearing about all kinds of different commanders people use.

My question is this: How can I break up different commanders into different "playstyles"?

For example, I know have 2 EDH decks: Thromok the Insatiable and Captain Sisay.  Obviously, the Thromok deck is about beating face: if I sac 5+ creatures to him, he kills in one swing, and I have a plethora of tramply things to give him and I have other creatures to attack with.  On the other hand, I have Cap'n who I use to search for my other creatures that I will use to win (So I guess she's a "combo" commander, right?).

What are some other cool (preferably inexpensive) commanders I can use for other playstyles?  I feel like azami, lady of scrolls could be fun, but when I was thinking about it, she's kind of like captain sisay: I'm just going to use a bunch of wizards to draw the cards I'll use to win, rather than search them out. 

I just want ideas for EDH decks that DON'T involve the repetitiveness of "commander kills" or just swinging with creatures every turn.  Got any ideas for me? Also, if you could explain how they work, that could be great (I've heard people say arcum dagsson is a combo guy and that he gets a alot of hate, but I never hear why or what he does that's so hated) 

Thanks
Well, first off, Arcum Dagsson is a generally hated on commander because of his capability to win the game so easily. Many players use his ability to fetch up Mycosynth Lattice and Darksteel Forge after saccing little artifact tokens. From that point on, Arcum is extremely hard to kill and you just keep ramping out ridiculous artifacts that can control the board state.
It's fun in a sense, because I like playing against everyone else, so a 2 or 3 person focus on me is challenging and can be irritating, but I enjoy the difficulty. I had been trying to make it work without using Mycosynth Lattice but as soon as Arcum dies, it becomes very difficult to stabilize.

Second, I play a Momir Vig, Simic Vosionary deck. It runs few spells and a large creature base. That creature base consists mostly of 1-4 drop creatures that I can use to cantrip and look as though I'm really playing without committing a whole lot to the board. In doing so, I'm racking up big time players such as my Avenger of Zendikar and Craterhoof Behemoth combo or Alluren and Cloudstone Curio combo. Both will generally win the game but you can also with politically with cards such as Edric, Spymaster of Trest.

It's one of my more complicated decks in the sense that you are playing weenies and trying to search through your deck, using them in synergy with Momir, but a lot of the times, people don't like Momir in play. So instead of blowing out with all of your weenies, you play slow, racking card advantage and a small force that you can knock on people's doors with, Then still explode out of the gates to end it with infinite turns via Time Warp, or the two combos above, etc. etc.

EDIT: here's the link to my deck-list:
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...!
Note that it has changed since the creation of that list even.
There are really only a few ways to classify commanders.  You have general damage commanders (Omnath, Locus of Mana), that you basically get out, and do 21 damage as fast as you can.  Combo commanders (Azami, Lady of Scrolls), which have abilities that let you assemble some kind of combo win.  Control commanders (Sheoldred, Whispering One), whose abilities help you establish and maintain board control.  And Enabler commanders (Grand Arbiter Augustin IV) which help your deck in some other way. These are just my tags.  There may be things I'm overlooking, and some will likely straddle some lines.  Of course, just like in regular Magic, attacking with creatures is a tried and true method of beating your opponent.  Consequently, many decks rely on this to win, often in the form of general damage.  So after all this, my advice is to either find a commander with abilities you like, and build around them, or find a path to victory that looks fun, and find a general that will work well with it.  Fortunately, many legendary creatures are fairly inexpensive.
i am a personal fan of Animar, Soul of Elements because he can be built in so many different ways. You can combo, you can beat face for commander damage, you can swarm and hit someone with Overwhelming Stampede and the deck itself is generally cheap to build.

Another favorite is Xira Arien. Its funny how many cards you can draw off her before people notice. 

3DH4LIF3

Sign In to post comments