Who Controls What?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm asking this question in advance of it actually mattering. I apologize if my autocarding fails.

There are three players: Alex, Beatrice and Clark.

Alex has a Sengir Vampire.
Beatrice has a Panoptic Mirror with Mark of Mutiny imprinted on it. She also has Puca's Mischief.
Clark has a Balefire Dragon.

At the beginning of Beatrice's upkeep the Mirror and the Mischief both trigger.
She chooses to have the Mischief Trigger underneath the Mirror Trigger.
The Mirror trigger goes off and she chooses to copy the Mark.
The Mark goes on top of the stack.
She targets the Dragon with the Mark, gains control of it and puts a +1/+1 counter on it.
The Mischief then triggers and she swaps the Balefire for the Sengir.

After her turn ends, who controls what?

(My guess is that Alex still has the Balefire and that Beatrice still has the Sengir and Clark is out of luck.)
Yes, your reading of it is correct. The Mark of Mutiny's effect only lasts until the end of the turn, but by that point it's already irrelevant as its been overwritten by the permanent control-change effect of the Puca's Mischief. 
Rules Advisor. Used to play a lot of old Extended tournaments, now I just play prereleases and casual kitchen-table games with friends. My regular decks, many of which have been evolving for years: Contested Cliffs Beasts Coastal Piracy Hana Kami Spirit recycling Rout Multiplayer control Seizan, Perverter of Truth Commander
this is an illegal play

Beatrice can't target Balefire Dragon AND Sengir Vampire with Puca's Mischief because she needs to target a permanent she controls at the time the trigger is put on the stack

Beatrice may exchange the Mirror for the Baron, those are the only legal targets for Puca in this scenario
proud member of the 2011 community team
Thank you for the correction Enigma.
Ah yes, well spotted! 
Rules Advisor. Used to play a lot of old Extended tournaments, now I just play prereleases and casual kitchen-table games with friends. My regular decks, many of which have been evolving for years: Contested Cliffs Beasts Coastal Piracy Hana Kami Spirit recycling Rout Multiplayer control Seizan, Perverter of Truth Commander
but if it was legal, Mazca was correct ;)
proud member of the 2011 community team
HI, I'll use this thread since my question is very similar.
Situation:
I have Puca's Mischief in play, and Confiscate (4UU) on Rod of Ruin (4) so that I control it.
My opponent puts a Shivan Dragon (4RR) in play.
in my next upkeep, what happens if I exchange control of Confiscate and the Shivan Dragon?

My guess is that the new owner of confiscate now controls the enchanted permanent. But on the turn after that, I can use Puca's Mischief on the Rod of Ruin to get it back (by giving away a card with 4 CMC).

Next time please start a new thread for your own questions, even if you find a similar one.

Anyway: Puca's Mischief, Confiscate, Rod of Ruin, Shivan Dragon

No Ownership is changed here, only Control. These are separated concepts.

Just replace "the new onwer of confiscate" with "the new controller of confiscate" and you're right. 

Whoever controls Confiscate controls what Confiscate is attached to unless some other, more recent control-changing effect exists. So if you trade Confiscate with Shivan Dragon, you'll control the Dragon and your opponent will control Confiscate and the Rod.
Later, if you trade some 4-CMC permanent for the Rod, you'll control the Dragon and the Rod, while your opponent controls Confiscate and the 4-CMC permanent.

[<o>]
Sign In to post comments