Is this actually a thing?

62 posts / 0 new
Last post
So for some context, me and the fiance started watching How I Met Your Mother a few weeks back and are near the end of season 3.  So if you're worried about season 3 spoilers of said show, you might want to stop reading now.

In case spoilers from episodes that aired four years ago are a concern for anyone

Anyway, in the show Barney just slept with Robin (Ted's ex) and everyone's freaking out about it.  I mean Ted freaking out about it?  Yeah, Ted has always been obsessive about Robin.  But no one is acting like Ted is being weird about this and that's why it's a big deal (because they know that Ted is going to react badly), they're acting like it's genuinely a bad thing for Robin and Barney to sleep together.

And I don't get that1.  So, internet, here is the question...

Is this an actual thing, getting upset because a friend slept with one of your exs (who is also a friend of you both)?  Or is it just the show being overly dramatic?

If it's an actual thing, can anyone explain it?

________
1Neither does the fiance. 
Resident Over-Educated Ivory-Tower Elitist [You don't have the Need-to-Know for that, citizen]
Dude, that's one of the guy rules. You just don't do it.
Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
My temple name is Elohim. What is your super-secret temple name?
Riddle me this
How can two people with physical bodies make spirit babies?
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
I'm a gay man working on a military base in a conservative town in a liberal state.  My track record for not doing things that "you just don't do" isn't great.

So please.  Treat me like an idiot. 
Resident Over-Educated Ivory-Tower Elitist [You don't have the Need-to-Know for that, citizen]
The basic thought is that there is a chance they might get back together. By sleeping with a friend's ex, you're ruining any chance they might have in getting back together. Usually after a six month period it's generally okay, but one should still ask permission before-hand in any case.

It's one of those unspoken guy rules. Like the "always take the furthest away urinal when possible" rule. 
The basic thought is that there is a chance they might get back together. By sleeping with a friend's ex, you're ruining any chance they might have in getting back together. Usually after a six month period it's generally okay, but one should still ask permission before-hand in any case.

... wait, so you don't get upset when your ex dates (and presumably sleeps with) someone that isn't a friend, but if it's a friend then somehow they've ****ed up your (not likely) future with the girl?

And the urinal rule makes sense.

and

got together?

...Wat. 
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

The thing i dont get about the show is why does dude turn into Bob Saget in the future? ANd what is the name of the show? and its been on for how long? and dude still has not met "their" mother, this guy really sucks at telling a story.
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there

and

got together?

...Wat. 

they both got drunk, one thing lead to another, you know how it goes, it was just that one time.

I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
awwww, it didnt quote the pic, now no one willl understand what im talking about, just like my Rob Schneider comment.
... wait, so you don't get upset when your ex dates (and presumably sleeps with) someone that isn't a friend, but if it's a friend then somehow they've ****ed up your (not likely) future with the girl?

It's perfectly reasonable. You never, and I mean never, want one of your friends to say to you "...while I was bangin' your wife..."

Therefore, once your friend sleeps with her, even if you thought you might have had some small chance of making it work with the girl you just can't do it.
Boraxe wrote: "Knowledge of the rules and creativity are great attributes for a DM, but knowing when to cut loose and when to hold back, when to follow the rules and when to discard them, in order to enhance the enjoyment of the game is the most important DM skill of all." Keeper of the Sacred Kitty Bowl of the House of Trolls. Resident Kitteh-napper.
It's perfectly reasonable. You never, and I mean never, want one of your friends to say to you "...while I was bangin' your wife..."

... that's not really an explanation for why a guy would be mad that a friend slept with his exjust why  some conversations might be awkward.  Though really, if you're in the habit of telling stories that include a "while I was bangin'" then I think you may have already conquered or ignored awkward.

But awkward isn't what we're talking about, it's anger.

I had a female friend I'd hooked up with before, and she invited me to her wedding (irrelevant to the story, but she's married to another woman now)... The morning of the wedding, I told her I had a migraine and I'd been awake all night (only a slight lie, since I did have a headache and I had been up all night although it was just goofing off online) because I knew I'd have trouble looking the new spouse in the eye at their wedding when I knew damn well that I'd been fooling around with my friend concurrently with her first hooking up with her new wife...
 It took a while before me-and-my-friend time eventually evolved into me-and-my-friend's-family time. (Although my friend and I still hang out by ourselves fairly often (but not hooking up), her family has basically become my rent-a-family for when I feel like doing family-type stuff or I have some kind of family coupon for someplace, etc.)

On a related note, she had actually originally been married to one of my other friends for awhile before she and I were friends (and I was at that wedding), but they'd been divorced for about a year before we started hooking up and the friend was completely out of the picture and living in another state by then.

A good guideline for dating a friend's ex is to wait at least six months and then make sure the friend is cool with it or at least not going to shoot you both while you sleep, lol.

As for why a friend might be angry with you for hooking up with their ex, part of it could be that they see it as you succeeding where they failed, and also they might see it as a betrayal of your friendship with them... I'm sure there are other reasons, as well.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

They "guy rule" is a stupid rule. Really the only reason for it is people being jealous and immature creatures.

As mentioned sometimes before is that there could be a chance of them getting back together and you getting involved can either take that option off the table or maybe you two wont stop even if they do get back together. First response is more a selfish thing and the second is could lead to problems all around. whatever.

On the other hand there is the whole bad breakup thing. In this case the two dont like each other and he wants her out of his life. maybe she wants the same. You dating/hooking up with your friend's ex keeps her in his life and could cause problems. Really only an issue if ur friend is a rooster and the gal is an irritable itch.

All in all though a lot of dudes tend to be what i said in my first line. jealous and immature. They see their ex with their friend and they start getting insecure. Insecure dudes tend to show this through violence and aggression. blah blah blah.

I really see no point to the rule. they is your ex. get over it. if you can't it's ur problem not mine or your ex's.

Resident Grouch and Corrupting Influence A Monster Appears I'm Black and Blue how 'bout you?

Supposedly there's a tribe in the Amazon in which every guy does it in every woman and they believe each guy is partly father of the resulting kids. And there's also a similar one in China where people don't really leave their family homes and the girls invite as many men over as they want.
And neither of them is supposed to have the word for "jelaousy"
Supposedly there's a tribe in the Amazon in which every guy does it in every woman and they believe each guy is partly father of the resulting kids. And there's also a similar one in China where people don't really leave their family homes and the girls invite as many men over as they want.
And neither of them is supposed to have the word for "jelaousy"

Yeah.
We have those here too.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."- John Stuart Mill “Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”― William F. Buckley "The straw in your man is amazing."- Maxperson Original Hipster of the House of Trolls: I was hipster before hipster was cool Resident Hater Mini Hate Machine
... so what I'm hearing is that "yes, this is a thing" and "no, we can't really explain it in a way that doesn't make straight men1 sound jealous and petty".

I guess I'm cool with that.  You guys are weird.
________
1Yeah, I'm gonna make that distinction.  Gay men are kinda notorious with getting incestuous with their sexual relations among their social circles.  So by all accounts, if this is a thing, it's a straight male thing, not a male thing. 
That just might highlight a difference in biological imperatives between gay males and straight males.
Boraxe wrote: "Knowledge of the rules and creativity are great attributes for a DM, but knowing when to cut loose and when to hold back, when to follow the rules and when to discard them, in order to enhance the enjoyment of the game is the most important DM skill of all." Keeper of the Sacred Kitty Bowl of the House of Trolls. Resident Kitteh-napper.
It's not a posession thing.  It's not a we might get back together thing.  Those are excuses to hide the real reason: emotional uncomfortability.  You know your ex is gonna hook up.  When it's put in your face, it makes it harder to handle that because you can't put it out of your mind.  You see her, you see him, you see them happy, you remember when you used to be happy with her, it hurts, etc.  And it's awkward.  If you break up with someone or they dump you, you typically did so in order not to see each other all the time anymore.  There's issues there and you're no longer able to address them properly.  Meh, it just makes everything complicated and it works in the opposite way a breakup should.  That's why guys don't like it. 

That said, it's different depending upon certain factors, too.  If it was a short thing, it'll matter less.  If the friend isn't that close, it'll matter less.  If he dumped her it will matter less. 

Oh, and who watches that piece of crap show on purpose anyway?  Srsly. 
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

... so what I'm hearing is that "yes, this is a thing" and "no, we can't really explain it in a way that doesn't make straight men1 sound jealous and petty".

________
1Yeah, I'm gonna make that distinction.  Gay men are kinda notorious with getting incestuous with their sexual relations among their social circles.  So by all accounts, if this is a thing, it's a straight male thing, not a male thing. 

There's many emotions going on.

Possesive is only one of them.  Though rarely the strongest emotion (girls tend not to stick around at all if you where highly possessive to begin with).

Longing is another.  Sex is a powerful drug, once you have it, you want more of it.  You get to see/imagine the person you had sex with turned on, but you are denied it.  Like smelling good food, but you have to starve.

Pain is a third.  Rarely do breakup happen without some heavy negitive feeling pushing people apart.  Seeing them again brings that up.

Most of that happens no matter who dates your Ex.  But if your friend does it, you can't say "she's such a " or otherwise put the blame and avoid the feelings nearly as easily as she will be aroud more often.  Any feelings you do have are brought to the surface, and paraded in front of you.  You also loose your "safe place".  You can't go to your friends house to try and forget it.

In short, you feel like they are rubbing your failure it in your face, rather then supporting you.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

So for some context, me and the fiance started watching How I Met Your Mother a few weeks back and are near the end of season 3.  So if you're worried about season 3 spoilers of said show, you might want to stop reading now.

In case spoilers from episodes that aired four years ago are a concern for anyone

Anyway, in the show Barney just slept with Robin (Ted's ex) and everyone's freaking out about it.  I mean Ted freaking out about it?  Yeah, Ted has always been obsessive about Robin.  But no one is acting like Ted is being weird about this and that's why it's a big deal (because they know that Ted is going to react badly), they're acting like it's genuinely a bad thing for Robin and Barney to sleep together.

And I don't get that1.  So, internet, here is the question...

Is this an actual thing, getting upset because a friend slept with one of your exs (who is also a friend of you both)?  Or is it just the show being overly dramatic?

If it's an actual thing, can anyone explain it?

________
1Neither does the fiance. 

It's a thing, but it's incredibly stupid that it's a thing.

Also, it's horribly selfish.

Conclusion: People are really stupid, in general.

Therefore, once your friend sleeps with her, even if you thought you might have had some small chance of making it work with the girl you just can't do it.

....wat.

If that was true, no one would ever date someone that a friend had ever dated in the first place, and this thread would not exist.

________

Not only is not just a straight male thing, it's not just a male thing.

What correlation there is between being gay and not having a "no friendcest" rule is just that, a correlation. It happens amongst groups of gay friends, too. Not yours, apperently, but there are two seperate groups made up largely of gay men that I hang out with semi-regularly, and in both groups, there are people who bang eachother's exes, and people who dislike that it happens.

And women do it, too. Dating an ex girlfriend's friend is a huge taboo in many groups. I've run afoul of the no friendcest rule in pretty much every group, even getting crap from my gay friends because this girl I hooked up with was bi, and her ex girlfriend was in that group.

All of it is stupid, childish inabillity to get the hell over a past relationship, but it's certainly not a stupid that's particular to straight men.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
 Were they hot? If so, pics or it didn't happen.

I second the motion, and I would like to add that if video is an option, it should be considered the first choice.

Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
lol When did this become 4chan? :D

The girl I hooked up with was hot, her ex was...not my type.

And no, I'm not posting pics.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
lol When did this become 4chan?

I like to think The Imageboard has slightly higher standards than us OTTers.  We take pride in our lack thereof.
Spiteful Wizard and Voice of Reason of the House of Trolls The Silent God of the House of Trolls Unfrozen OTTer Arbiter of the House of Trolls Yes, I have many titles. Deal with it.
lol Res: think what you want. I don't post pictures or info of people I know on the internet.

wolf: fair enough.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
lol Res: think what you want. I don't post pictures or info of people I know on the internet.

Why? I do it all the time.

And I do it none of the time. :P
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
So you're saying it didn't happen.
So you're saying it didn't happen.

That's exactly what he is saying. It's all just a lie.

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
Ok, let's say I post a picture.

There is no way for me to prove that she is who I say she is. Even if that pic was of her and I together, unless we're doing something innapropriate, you couldn't be sure that the people in the photo have ever hooked up. In fact, you wouldn't even know if the other person was actually me.

Also, what are you guys, 12? 
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
lol When did this become 4chan?

I like to think The Imageboard has slightly higher standards than us OTTers.  We take pride in our lack thereof.

Well, but the existence of CoC has forced us to act a bit smarter. Like satirists in a repressive state, with no freedom of speech

Also, lol, pics. She's hot though, sucks about the flack from your friends.
See, this is why I usually lurk.
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne! Resident Invisible Man Lurker in the House of Trolls A Testament to My Glory
12?! I'm not 12! I haven't been that young in at least 7 years! You offend me sir!

But that girl, regardless of who she is, she isn't bad looking.
Spiteful Wizard and Voice of Reason of the House of Trolls The Silent God of the House of Trolls Unfrozen OTTer Arbiter of the House of Trolls Yes, I have many titles. Deal with it.
Ok, let's say I post a picture.

There is no way for me to prove that she is who I say she is. Even if that pic was of her and I together, unless we're doing something innapropriate, you couldn't be sure that the people in the photo have ever hooked up. In fact, you wouldn't even know if the other person was actually me.

There are several ways that you can prove who that girl is and what you have done with her, but you consider it "inappropriate."  
By the way, couldn't you have gotten a better picture? 
Also, what are you guys, 12? 

Possibly. What's it to you?

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this

There are several ways that you can prove who that girl is and what you have done with her, but you consider it "inappropriate."  
By the way, couldn't you have gotten a better picture? 

I am tempted to make a thread for OTTers to post thire pictures of them and their significant others

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
12?! I'm not 12! I haven't been that young in at least 7 years! You offend me sir!

But that girl, regardless of who she is, she isn't bad looking.

She's one of the more attractive people I know. Although, for obvious reasons, I prefer to look at my fiance. :P
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
Most of us aren't 12.  In fact, our 12 year old left us a while back.  That broad does have a nice pair, though.  And I like the hammock.
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

I am tempted to make a thread for OTTers to post thire pictures of them and their significant others

While I'm shameless about posting myself, I wouldn't be putting any picture of my SO up.

While I'm shameless about posting myself, I wouldn't be putting any picture of my SO up.

then in the words of
pics or it didn't happen.

in fact that could be the title of the thread...

Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
57131438 wrote:

... why?  The thread was about psychology, and if reality was as strange as fantasy.  No proof needed.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

... why?  The thread was about psychology, and if reality was as strange as fantasy.  No proof needed.

from my original statement
tempted to make a thread for OTTers

indicating a new thread but sicne this is the Off topic taveren and not stay on topic land I fail to see a problem if the thread goes into a post a pic or it didn't happen mode lol

NastasiaLorn; wrote:
Show
57949688 wrote:
57131438 wrote:
So I asked some of my co-workers at our weekly "bro lunch" today.  One of them said that it's a property thing, that by having a relationship you've claimed a girl forever.  I... uh... really don't know how serious he was.  He kinda wanders into the sexist/mysognyst line of things without noticing1.

The other said it was kinda awkward, but not something to get mad about.
________
1Kinda explains why he's uncomfortable with gays.  He's afraid we'll treat him how he treats women. And no, I'm not kidding.  I've, in all seriousness, asked him this and after a few minutes thinking he said "yeah, that sounds about right."
Sign In to post comments