Velicta: Law & Order

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
It is common knowledge that Velicta is overrun with violence. The question that immediately follows is, this violence come from whom?

A significant part of it comes from the dragon mobsters who terrorize your city, from the snake mercenaries who poison your drink, the merfolk pirates who sink the vessel you're in and the young thugs who cut you up and paint you a red smile, sure.

Another comes from the people who are supposed to be defending you.

Velicta's police are called "officers" and have made their life mission to hand out punishment without regard for such silly things like legality, due process or proportionality.

Vengeance (C)

Sorcery
Destroy target tapped creature.
“I’m quite the liar, but the farce I have found in this plane disgusts even me. Nowhere else have I found people so shameless to disguise their own bloodlust as some sort of ‘justice.’”
—Evrin the Infiltrator

(Evrin is a planar superspy we will meet soon.)

Some of them even believe they are doing the right thing and that this is all that can be done in the situation they're in:

Stalwart Officer (U)

Creature – Human Soldier
1/1
Vigilance
At the beginning of your end step, you may put a +1/+1 counter on target untapped creature you control.
“Spare me the moralizing about ‘tyranny’ or ‘oppression’ or ‘the victims of society.’ You haven’t fought the war we have.”

All the while they do things like this:

Extrajudicial Execution (U)

Sorcery
Cast Extrajudicial Execution only if you control two or more Soldiers.
Destroy target creature.
Velicta’s officer forces are feared throughout the plane — not only by criminals.

That said, it is not as if officers do things like that all the time. I mean, sometimes they do go after, say, someone's murderer:

Bastion of the Community (C)

Creature – Human Citizen
2/2
[Mystery] : Solve this mystery. If you do, put two 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield.
“He was beloved by them all. I swear we will not let his killers pass unpunished.”
—Officer Varl

(for more on mystery, refer to the Velicta mechanics primer.)

Officer Varl, incidentally, is a veteran officer who loathes the path taken by most officers of the plane. He commands his own battalion in the eastern city of Niceli and while his vision on what to do with the crime problem of Velicta is different from the way the typical officer sees things, he is not without some teeth of his own:

Varl, Experienced Officer (R)

Legendary Creature – Human Soldier
2/2
, : Put three 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield.
Whenever Varl, Experienced Officer or another creature you control attacks, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn for each other attacking creature.
“I believe in Velicta’s people, not its laws.”

The majority of officers, however, are more closely aligned to Judge Mortheon.

Judge Mortheon (M)

Planeswalker – Mortheon
+1: Exile up to one target creature. If you do, return each other creature card exiled with Judge Mortheon to the battlefield under their owners’s control.
-3: Destroy all creatures.
-7: Your opponents can’t cast creature spells for the rest of the game.

Mortheon is a member of an interplanar political party that aims to correct the injustices of the multiverse who has recently taken some interest in Velicta. His approach, however, is quite harsher, as one may infer from his card.

In short, Velicta's main conflict is within the same color: Officer Varl's and Judge Mortheon's visions on what is to be done regarding Velicta are completely opposite even though they desire the same end result.

Mechanically, there is a small subtheme in white: untapped creatures matter (officers, after all, need to stay alert). You may have seem some of that in Stalwart Officer. Here is something else:

Officer Captain (R)

Creature – Human Soldier
2/2
Vigilance
Other untapped creatures you control get +1/+1.
: Target creature you control is indestructible this turn for as long as it is untapped.

Call for Reinforcements (U)

Enchantment
At the beginning of your end step, if you control an untapped creature, you may put a 1/1 white Soldier creature token onto the battlefield.

Sky Patroller (C)

Creature – Human Soldier
2/2
Flying
Sky Patroller gets +1/+1 as long as you control an untapped creature.

Next time: the detectives and vigilantes of Velicta.
Wow, it'd be a shame for this to sink off the front page without any responses.  I really like the "noir" feel of this set, that feels very grim without requiring the interference of fantastic monsters.  You don't need demons to have corruption.

I don't have much time to comment on many individual cards, but one thing that stands out to me is the amount of powerful "anthems" in the set.  Between Varl, Officer Captain and the Missing Heir mystery from the previous thread, token/weenie strategies seem like they're going to be very powerful.

I don't like Mortheon much, just because his abilities can lock your opponent down, but he doesn't actually do anything to accelerate your victory.  I've always thought that abilities like Blazing Archon need to be on big creatures, not just because it makes it more likely for your opponent to be able to interact with the creature (compared to an Enchantment or Artifact) but also because the unanswered creature will almost certainly close the game within a few turns.  Cards that lock down your opponent but don't do anything to make the game end will often just drag things on and on, and that feels bad.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
Yeah, IA with Fallingman.

Varl also seems intense. That's a lot of tokens to generate with a repeatable ability. It also encourages mass attacking, which sort of runs counter to the untapped theme.
Wow, it'd be a shame for this to sink off the front page without any responses.  I really like the "noir" feel of this set, that feels very grim without requiring the interference of fantastic monsters.  You don't need demons to have corruption.

Thanks. There are some fantastic creatures in the set (this is still Magic, after all), like the aforementioned dragon mobsters, but I'm trying to make it more like "these people will slit your throat to get your stuff" and less like "these monsters will eat your soul to fuel their dark magicks."

I don't have much time to comment on many individual cards, but one thing that stands out to me is the amount of powerful "anthems" in the set.  Between Varl, Officer Captain and the Missing Heir mystery from the previous thread, token/weenie strategies seem like they're going to be very powerful.

I'm a little worried about that too. (in my design files, for instance, I upped the cost to solve the Missing Heir mystery to and am probably going to raise it furhter.)

I don't like Mortheon much, just because his abilities can lock your opponent down, but he doesn't actually do anything to accelerate your victory.  I've always thought that abilities like Blazing Archon need to be on big creatures, not just because it makes it more likely for your opponent to be able to interact with the creature (compared to an Enchantment or Artifact) but also because the unanswered creature will almost certainly close the game within a few turns.  Cards that lock down your opponent but don't do anything to make the game end will often just drag things on and on, and that feels bad.

An alternative to that could make Mortheon's ultimate pump out a 7/7 flying Archon with that as its ability. Would that be better?
I think this set is ridiculously awesome.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Some of them even believe they are doing the right thing and that this is all that can be done in the situation they're in:

Stalwart Officer (U)

Creature – Human Soldier
1/1
Vigilance
At the beginning of your end step, you may put a +1/+1 counter on target untapped creature you control.
“Spare me the moralizing about ‘tyranny’ or ‘oppression’ or ‘the victims of society.’ You haven’t fought the war we have.”

Almost strictly better that Alert Shu Infantry, but, um, that isn't really a problem. ASI isn't exactly broken. Anyway, it's a nice build-around card, and a strong uncommon.

All the while they do things like this:

Extrajudicial Execution (U)

Sorcery
Cast Extrajudicial Execution only if you control two or more Soldiers.
Destroy target creature.
Velicta’s officer forces are feared throughout the plane — not only by criminals.

Ooh, shit - that does not need any more salt - it has plenty o' flavor. Seriously. This is a fantastic card. Have you considered exile? I mean, it is a pretty steep cost for Sorcery speed destruction. If not, I don't think it would be OP at , though I may be wrong.

That said, it is not as if officers do things like that all the time. I mean, sometimes they do go after, say, someone's murderer:

Bastion of the Community (C)

Creature – Human Citizen
2/2
[Mystery] : Solve this mystery. If you do, put two 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield.
“He was beloved by them all. I swear we will not let his killers pass unpunished.”
—Officer Varl

Mystery is one of the best mechanics I've seen on this forum. I am truly envious of your design skills. This card is as flavorful as the one above it. Maybe more so.

Officer Varl, incidentally, is a veteran officer who loathes the path taken by most officers of the plane. He commands his own battalion in the eastern city of Niceli and while his vision on what to do with the crime problem of Velicta is different from the way the typical officer sees things, he is not without some teeth of his own:

Varl, Experienced Officer (R)

Legendary Creature – Human Soldier
2/2
, : Put three 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield.
Whenever Varl, Experienced Officer or another creature you control attacks, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn for each other attacking creature.
“I believe in Velicta’s people, not its laws.”

Strong, but not too strong. At least I don't think so. It depends how many creatures you can get out by turn 4, I guess. If you can get 4 + this guy, even if they're all 1/1's, then the four attack as quite an assault. I imagine that his tap ability would only come in handy during stalemates and in slow formats like EDH. However, I could be mistaken.

The majority of officers, however, are more closely aligned to Judge Mortheon.

Judge Mortheon (M)

Planeswalker – Mortheon
+1: Exile up to one target creature. If you do, return each other creature card exiled with Judge Mortheon to the battlefield under their owners’s control.
-3: Destroy all creatures.
-7: Your opponents can’t cast creature spells for the rest of the game.

Should the -7 be an emblem? Anyway, this 'walker seems a little unfun. I like the -3 Day of Judgement, and even the +1 seems like it could be fun, but I think the ultimate is a little less than fun. It seems like most players would rather scoop at that ultimate than actually try to work around it, unless they don't cast creature spells. But then it is entirely useless. I dunno. I like him, especially w/r/t flavor, but I think the ultimate might need an edit. Just my opinion, though.

Officer Captain (R)

Creature – Human Soldier
2/2
Vigilance
Other untapped creatures you control get +1/+1.
: Target creature you control is indestructible this turn for as long as it is untapped.

Same as Stalwart Officer, except this one might actually be OP. I'm trying to compare it to Elite Inquisitor, which is a good card, specifically in Standard's environment, but it is difficult. This is some crazy vigilance-lord stuff, and it really implies a key-words matter theme. Is that what you were going for?

Next time: the detectives and vigilantes of Velicta.

Awesome.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.