Decided to make a new game mode.

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is the first draft and is really shabby, if you would like to see it I think I can post it here. It has a lot of twists and I have played about fifty trail games to work out some kinks, but any feedback is more than welcomed . . . as long as it is peaceful.

PS: I do not know why it says html removed lol.
html_removed html_removed

Speed Variant created by Veladem P.E.B.III.

905.1 Speed variant.
905.2 All rules from casual, Ante, and Tournament apply in this variant.
905.2a Rules that may conflict in these mixed variants take priority in this order; Ante, Casual, and Tournament. Ante < Casual < Tournament. Were any rules may conflict this rule is always followed. (Unless stated, "This rule takes priority over the above varients as a default rule of the Speed variant." or, "*".
905.3 (All lands in players hands are placed in a zone named the "Pitt", wherever that zone may be designated, for all players to see.) Players may play as many lands as desired from the active players respective Pitt zone. (Lands in the Pitt are not considered cards in a non-active players hand.) "*"
905.3a Lands in play move to the Pitt when a player passes his turn to the opponent. "*"
905.3b Lands in the Pitt can only be played by their owner, unless (905.3) conflicts. "*"
Example: It is Rob's turn. Rob can not play cards from any players Pitt, other than his own. Other players may play cards from Rob's Pitt. Only Rob's Pitt is considered to be in his hand.
Example: Alex may play Rob's cards onto the field from the Pitt, even when it is Rob's turn, but only on Rob's field.
905.4 (Jump) Players may choose to play as many lands in their Pitt during the times stated in Tournament rules. "*"
905.5 (Whisper) Players may draw a extra card from their library when they play two, four, six, etc. lands. "*"
905.6 (Shout) Players may draw a extra card from their opponents library when they play four, eight, twelve, etc. lands from their Pitt. "*"
905.7 (Scream) Players may look at and discard, or play cards from their opponents hands onto their field when they play four of the same color or all different colored lands from their respective Pitt. "*"
Example: Scream + Shout = Four same color lands or four different colored lands and, not to be combined with the previously stated, Four, eight, twelve, etc lands from their Pitt. With the effects, from 905.6 and 905.7. "*"
905.8 Each player has 100 life, the player to go first has 100 life, the second player has five less (95), and the next five less etc. "*"
905.9 The player to win the match is the player with the most life or the last standing player. With second and third place being applicable if their are three or more players. "*"
906.1 If in a game were Ante rules apply there are three players, the player in first chooses his prize of one card first, knowingly, than second and third place set the rest of the ante cards face down and shuffle them, the player in second gets first choice than the player in third. "*"
Example: Larger scale game of seven players and seven ante cards with two winners. Player in first gets first choice at the slightly larger than 50% portion of cards being 4 ante cards face down and shuffled.
Example 2: If in the same game there are three winners. The player in first gets his choice at 3 ante cards, knowingly, than the players in second and third shuffle four ante cards face down, second place getting first choice at his or her share of two ante cards.
906.2  A planeswalker may be played on any turn a active player may control, than only on every other turn, for that player. More than one instance of a planeswalker may be played on the field at any time, leaving room for as many planeswalkers as the active player may play. However still constricted to the one planeswalker a turn rule or every other turn rule. "*"
906.3 A planeswalker may be played as a player or a creature if played as a player the standard rules above apply. If played as a creature, triple the planeswalkers health, and make that number equal to the creatures P/T. "*"
906.4 Planeswalkers played as creatures are not effected by summoning sickness, but also do not have Haste and can not attack first turn they are out. "*"
906.5 Use the planeswalkers abilities as tap abilities. +1 abilities put a +1/+1 counter on the planeswalker creature. -5 abilities put a -5/-5 counter on the planeswalker, etc. "*"
906.6 Players may play the Jump, Whisper, Shout, and Scream abilities during their upkeep. "*"
906.7 During the active players respective untap step they may play from the Pitt any land cards there.
906.8 Lands in the Pitt are part of the active players hand, but do not apply to the seven card hand limit. "*"
906.9 The non-active player may play the active players lands from the Pitt onto the active players field for use anytime a instant could be played except during the active players untap, upkeep, and draw phases. "*"
907.1 Mana burn applies to both players as of the above rules. "*"
907.2 The spread is the area on the field where both players put cards taken from oponent for their own use on their fields. "*"
907.3 The spread can have lands that do not move into the Pitt during the normal time that lands would move into the Pitt. "*"

Just the beginning of course.

html_removed
There's not terribly much to give feedback on.
I find this thread hard to respond properly to.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Sorry I guess it saw my rules for "Speed" as a html??? Idk, the rules for my new game mode are up. If anyone would like to try my slightly overpowered game mode, be my guest.
html_removed
Just want any advice to smooth out the game play or to make it more fun and even faster. Or just your thoughts on overall gameplay of it.
html_removed
Maybe it would be easier if you just explained what you were going for instead of trying to list it in the comprehensive rules format.

Basically it sounds out like everyone starts out with a Fastbond with no downside... so then the rest of the rules dont really matter because whoever goes first wins turn 1...

Also I really dont understand the purpose behind completely altering the rules for planeswalkers?

And what the heck is a "pitt"?

Current decks
Comments or suggestions are always welcome

Modern
nothing at the moment

Yeah it is kinda like that, and as for going deeper into detail on what I'm looking for.

Some people to play their decks in this format if they have time, and are willing. And if anyone can even understand the format that I layed out, it is kinda sloppy.

Some responses on how their game play went.

Some improvements on what this format is like.

And as for the planeswalkers, I did that as a means of tweaking the new rules so that this format would hold a bit more brute speed gameplay and for the opponent to have a chance at taking the planeswalker for his or her own use.

Like how if you were to play a planeswalker you could choose to play it as a creature instead of a player. Just more options.

And I do not really understand what you mean by "wins turn 1..."

And I believe the Pitt is described in my set of rules as a designated area for land cards in a players hand that everyone playing can openly view and even make use of.
html_removed
I've had ideas for my own casual game mode, not to hijack this thread intentionally.

Haven't worked out the name for it yet, but one I was thinking about during my general bology course [probably why I barely passed :P]:

- Normal rules apply EXCEPT:
- No lifegain, no tutoring, no library reshuffling [including exiled and cards in your graveyard], mulligans allowed.
- Cards that have lifegain as part of an ability or effect lose that, same with cards where part of the effect is reshuffling your library into your hand.
(so if you have for example Golem's Heart, or Elixir of Immortality, or Diabolic Tutor, completely useles in this format, but if you have a card like Agent of Masks the life loss for opponents wil apply, but the lifegain for the caster doesn't happen.)

Basically the idea was to make a format where you are more reliant on what you have in your hand, and your draw, forced to rought it so to speak.

Obviously though there are big problems in it though, as many deck types would be way O/P.
Wow Escef, I guess you didn't read my post where I asked comments to be peaceful? Or was it just a little early when you read this? Never the less, Travelsonic, sounds like the works of some pretty cool games. I've tested my game mode with my friends and they all think it works pretty well, played around fifty total games. And if you look in the rules that I set up, you can't just force people to discard cards, there's a actual tapping system for the player abilities Jump, Whisper, Shout, and Scream. Not only would you have to bring four lands from the Pitt, but you would also tap four lands to use the ability Scream.
html_removed
Can I rename the Pitt to Brad?
I've removed content from this thread. Trolling/Baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code of Conduct here: company.wizards.com/conduct

Please remember to keep your posts polite, on topic and refrain from personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully. 
Yeah it is kinda like that, and as for going deeper into detail on what I'm looking for.

Some people to play their decks in this format if they have time, and are willing. And if anyone can even understand the format that I layed out, it is kinda sloppy.

Some responses on how their game play went.

Some improvements on what this format is like.

And as for the planeswalkers, I did that as a means of tweaking the new rules so that this format would hold a bit more brute speed gameplay and for the opponent to have a chance at taking the planeswalker for his or her own use.

Like how if you were to play a planeswalker you could choose to play it as a creature instead of a player. Just more options.

And I do not really understand what you mean by "wins turn 1..."

And I believe the Pitt is described in my set of rules as a designated area for land cards in a players hand that everyone playing can openly view and even make use of. html_removed

I really have a couple points, for one I think the wording of some of your rules is going to conflict with certain situations in the normal game rules.

More importantly though, if you are trying to design a format, you need to think about what kind of decks would be designed for that format. 

People dont take their standard deck to play in a vintage game or their commander deck to play in a legacy game... so why assume they wouldnt tailor their deck to best utilize the rules you are coming up with for your format?

If you can play as many lands as you want: Zuran Orb, Piranha Marsh, Crucible of Worlds game over.  Thats hardly the only one, just one of the most obvious.  Landfall cards could get overwhelmingly powerful in this format.

I still dont quite understand the reasoning here for "speed" magic.  Magic games can be over extremely quickly, even in standard.  Its entirely dependant on what the decks being played are like.  What is the actual goal here?

Current decks
Comments or suggestions are always welcome

Modern
nothing at the moment

Landfall cards would be INSANE, because it looks like all your land gets pseudo-exiled at the end of every turn, and then you can replay it all.
I really don't understand, though, with the formatting used. Needs to be explained in plain English and not in rules jargon. The rules specifications can come after you decide what you want done.
Wow Escef, I guess you didn't read my post where I asked comments to be peaceful? Or was it just a little early when you read this?

No, that was peaceful considering the quality of what I was looking at. Apparently WotC moderation decided I was trolling. I was not. I genuinely think this is trash. And I wouldn't play it.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Damn, I use landfall a bit and I didn't think of that . . . Thanks Symar. I should make a exception that once a land has been played once the effect of "playing a land" will be null for that land.

And as for Escef, if the mods just decided you were trolling, you think you would calm down and maybe even apologize, but hey, if all you have is knocking on 19 year olds on the interweb, that's cool.
html_removed
Is there an uber-simple "Idiot's guide" type overview of this idea, I found the comprehensive rules rather hard going.
Can you explain the idea in one or two sentences? 
How do you enforce that all land cards from everyone's hand (and no other cards from the hand) get revealed and put into this communal zone?
And as for Escef, if the mods just decided you were trolling, you think you would calm down and maybe even apologize, but hey, if all you have is knocking on 19 year olds on the interweb, that's cool.

Implying that I wasn't calm is insulting. I can say that the rules I was looking at are poorly thought out trash without being upset or angry. And I think the mods were flat out wrong. I'm not going to apologize for an honest evaluation.

And how did you expect me to know your age? That last one puzzles me. Though, if it makes you feel any better, I've seen far worse ideas out of people more than a decade your senior.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Damn, I use landfall a bit and I didn't think of that . . . Thanks Symar. I should make a exception that once a land has been played once the effect of "playing a land" will be null for that land.

That sounds like a bitch to keep track of.

What in the world is the purpose of removing the lands anyway? Couldn't you just change all instants to sorceries and remove all instances of flash from creatures?
Fastbond is not the kind of global effect you want players to have. It'd be incredibly easy to win on turn 1 or 2. The format would essentially be a die roll.
Landfall cards would be INSANE, because it looks like all your land gets pseudo-exiled at the end of every turn, and then you can replay it all.
I really don't understand, though, with the formatting used. Needs to be explained in plain English and not in rules jargon. The rules specifications can come after you decide what you want done.

Let's just say this format is for the birds. And snakes and bugs.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt