[RTR-ICD] Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord

147 posts / 0 new
Last post



Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord

Legendary Creature - Zombie Elf (R)
Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord gets +1/+1 for each creature card in your graveyard.
, Sacrifice another creature: Each opponent loses life equal to the sacrificed creature's power.
Sacrifice a Swamp and a Forest: Return Jarad from your graveyard to your hand.
2/2
more shockland hints

but overall rather weak abilities, even with a strong Golgari graveyard theme
proud member of the 2011 community team
more shockland hints

but overall rather weak abilities, even with a strong Golgari graveyard theme


I agree. I hope his base P/T is at least 3/3. Then at the worst he'll be a 7-mana, recurrable Bump in the Night.
For what it's worth it's a Mythic, not a Rare.

If this does turn out to be the legit card then I'm not sure how I feel about it. While this is probably an all round more useful card I think I prefer Glissa, the Traitor just for the madness that is First Strike and Deathtouch.

Though I'm sure I'll be able to put together a fun casual deck that uses this to abuse Blood Pet...
If this is accurate this guy will can be sick. You can sac a creature and you can sac himself for a finisher is soooooooo sweat!
Even if he's a 1/1, I aim to add this alongside Ezuri, Renegade Leader in a elf Metalcraft deck. Sacrificing Ezuri's Brigade to Jarad's ability will be...amusing.
Well, he can Fling himself, so I suppose there's some value to it. He looks overall quite solid, just a bit meh overall. He can easily finish the game slightly late in a multiplayer environment.
I wish his abilities were more streamlined though (the abilities themselves are okay, but I think having three separate ones is overkill.) Iunno.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I'm guessing he'll be a 2/2, since Savra was a 2/2 and Jarad is Savra's brother.
I'm guessing he'll be a 2/2, since Savra was a 2/2 and Jarad is Savra's brother.


As much as that would be nice, he'll probably be stronger because he's the male. I say this because we've seen Brothers and sisters in magic. Look who's stronger.

I expect him to be a 3/3 or a 4/4. His effect does seem a little weak. I think he'd be much stronger if his first activated ability only cost or () but then he'd probably be too good.
I'm sure they tested at to mirror his third ability with forest and swamp, I guess it was too strong
proud member of the 2011 community team
Hmmm, not to put down MTGS, but aren't they all suppsoed to be mythic, not rare?


I could say, lots of fun with guys like these.


Recursion is a bonus
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
I'd assume his P/T is 4/4. As I said in the other thread discussing this card, they've openly admitted that they like giving Mythic Rares "square stats", which is P/T equal to converted mana cost. He costs four, so square stats is 4/4.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
Now that I think about it, hes just in good color for high powered creatures and works pretty well with "dies" effects
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
Design-wise this sucks real bad.
Thank god, I'll finally have a use for all those Koko Puffs who were gathering dust in my trade binder :33.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
Not really a fan of this card.
It will see play at 4/4. Anything less, we'll see.

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
Not sure how the land-sacrificing fits the flavor, it's almost Dredge but it isn't.

Any way we can get a link to the source?

And yeah, it's most likely Mythic I'd assume. 
56735468 wrote:
Residual energetic and psychic emenations from the spark of planewalkers going in and out of the blind eternities like it was a windmill eventually coalesced into beings named eldrazi who by their very nature could not consume mundane sources of nourishment to sustain their existence.
It will see play at 4/4. Anything less, we'll see.

don't forget the Mortivore tacked on to it ;)
proud member of the 2011 community team
Why didn't I see this before?


He plays very well with dredge


we just need something to pump that arbor.........
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
It's worth testing at any power and toughness greater than 1. Definitely strange abilities. The fact that he can return to play even at the steep cost of two lands is powerful.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
it seems to be to your hand
which is too weak for 2 lands
proud member of the 2011 community team
Llurgoyf is 0/1 at 4 cmc; this is llurgoyf with two extra abilities, right?


also, what i'm seeing says 'sacrifice another creature', i.e., no self-fling.  that said, you can tap your swamp/forest and float the mana to replay this guy, so you'll probably have no tempo issue making that play mid/late game when you want to.  
Llurgoyf is 0/1 at 4 cmc; this is llurgoyf with two extra abilities, right?

this only counts your graveyard, Lhurgoyf counts all graveyards

proud member of the 2011 community team
OH ya. Definately going to be doing a golgari zombie deck standard. 4x gravecrawler, 3x/4x rancor, 3x jarad, 4x mulch, 2/3 ghoultree easily, maybe splinterfright and geralf messenger. O am I gonna have fun with this XD.
I don't why people don't like this card, he's a perfectly designed Golgari leader, strong graveyard theme, recursion plus the sacrifice ability, what more do you want? I played alot of ISD Block Self Mill Splinterfright decks and he would fit perfectly in there so he's already basically got a home as that deck could easily transition to Standard if there is a little help from RtR. Flinging a Ghoultree at someones face is fun.
I think I'm going to have fun with this guy. In a deck with Rancor and Gravecrawler, your opponent will be getting burnt fairly often (5 mana for 4 damage at the end of their turn, each part recurrable completely except for Rancor which is still one of the cards hardest to get rid of).

Then you add in Undying and Morbid, and Jarad could be great fun. 
Not a big fan of this card, but he's gimmicky enough that I'm sure he'll do some interesting things.

It's way too soon to be making judgments, but so far I'm not super thrilled with how these two cards have been.
He does work insanely well with Gravecrawler and Geralf's Messenger, which is probably why the sacrifice ability is nerfed with a high cost. Still, I would imagine every BG Zombie deck will play at least 1 of these. It provides more reach (as if that deck needed any more). I wouldn't be surprised if they still splash red if shocklands are reprinted as well.
more shockland hints

but overall rather weak abilities, even with a strong Golgari graveyard theme



How does this hint at  the duals?
more shockland hints

but overall rather weak abilities, even with a strong Golgari graveyard theme



How does this hint at  the duals?


Sacrifice a swamp and a forest might be worked around by sacrificing a swampforest, though I feel it's a bit of a stretch.
He does work insanely well with Gravecrawler and Geralf's Messenger, which is probably why the sacrifice ability is nerfed with a high cost. Still, I would imagine every BG Zombie deck will play at least 1 of these. It provides more reach (as if that deck needed any more). I wouldn't be surprised if they still splash red if shocklands are reprinted as well.



so you are saying... jund zombies? MUST MAKE NOW!!!
I was just thinking to myself how I wanted to make a B/G EDH deck, but didn't have a general I liked.

This is neat, unique, and I like it.
I falsely assumed that sacing one shockland would do the trick on his last ability...I realize now that im wrong. But on the second hand we don't have the exact English translation either....
more shockland hints

but overall rather weak abilities, even with a strong Golgari graveyard theme



How does this hint at  the duals?


Sacrifice a swamp and a forest might be worked around by sacrificing a swampforest, though I feel it's a bit of a stretch.



I believe the wording forces you to sacrifice two cards.
Yeah, I think so too
more shockland hints

but overall rather weak abilities, even with a strong Golgari graveyard theme



How does this hint at  the duals?


Sacrifice a swamp and a forest might be worked around by sacrificing a swampforest, though I feel it's a bit of a stretch.



Requires two, but if you're playing , you can sacrifice a swamp mountain or a mountain forest.

Also, all the cards like Arbor Elf and Liliana of the Dark Realms more hint at it.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Janky intro pack rare is janky.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

 

Seems decent, but the mana cost on this guy is annoying.
Janky intro pack rare is janky.


He won't be in an intro pack (remember, all the Return to Ravnica block guild leaders are going to be mythics), he's fronting up the Izzet vs Golgari duel decks.

That said, he is pretty janky. In a good way.
Rules Nut Advisor
Seems decent, but the mana cost on this guy is annoying.



Ya, he is. For me though it isnt too bad, since been using glissa, the traitor since she came out. Still, not as weird as Krond the dawn-clad...