Making an Icy mono blue control deck... any advice??

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay well as usual and as mentioned from another forum... I WANT AN ICE DECK lol I always wanted a deck with an ice theme (I'm a sucker for theme decks) and just loved the idea of having all my cards being about ice, frost, snow, ect and just freezing the crap out of my opponent.

It's gonna be but using snow lands (kinda expensive compared to basic lands but I'm not getting the deck right away) and has a lot of cards from the Coldsnap set. I love the power of "tap target permanent it does not untap during its controller's next untap step" So here is my decklist idea thus far: 

Creatures (18)
4x Martyr of Frost
3x Rimewind Taskmage
3x Balduvian Frostwaker
3x Frost Raptor
4x Wall of Frost
1x Frost Titan
Spells (20)
4x Early Frost
3x Ice Cage
3x Crippling Chill
3x Frost Breath
4x Frozen Solid
1x Frozen Aether
2x Icy Manipulator
Lands (22)
22x Snow-Covered Island

As you can see, this is more of a control deck than anything else and I'm not even 100% sure if it'll be good in a dual but I still like the idea :D let me know what you guys think

Snow-Covered Lands are made that much better with 2-4 Scrying Sheets.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
Second the Scrying Sheets, but you also need more counterspells.
Winter Orb. With the Icy Manipulator you can either tap the 'Orb before your Untap step so you CAN untap all your land while your opponent suffers the 'Orbs effect or have the 'Manipulator tap their only free land in their upkeep so unless the have a 1-drop and land in hand you have achived lockdown! With Frozen Aether, Winter Orb becomes a bit of a powerhouse too.
Winter Orb. With the Icy Manipulator you can either tap the 'Orb before your Untap step so you CAN untap all your land while your opponent suffers the 'Orbs effect or have the 'Manipulator tap their only free land in their upkeep so unless the have a 1-drop and land in hand you have achived lockdown! With Frozen Aether, Winter Orb becomes a bit of a powerhouse too.

I don't think the tapping Winter Orb thing works anymore, they removed it around 6th edition for some reason.  Artifacts that turn on/off when tapped specifically state that they turn on or off while tapped now i.e. look at the rulings and oracle text on Howling Mine now.  All other artifacts are permanently on whether they're tapped or not.

I don't think the tapping Winter Orb thing works anymore, they removed it around 6th edition for some reason.  Artifacts that turn on/off when tapped specifically state that they turn on or off while tapped now i.e. look at the rulings and oracle text on Howling Mine now.  All other artifacts are permanently on whether they're tapped or not.

I know most Atifacts don't turn on/off but I was pretty sure the 'Orb was exempt from that because the 'Icy/Orb combo was loved by the old skool fans. Having read the comments on Gatherer though, it seems you're right, as of May 2011 that particular combo no longer works.

Winter Orb would still be awesome in Sapphire_Prince's deck though.
Sign In to post comments