Holy life-leeching

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, has lifelink in ever been explained properly?

I mean, it's easy to see why has it, but , as much as I like to villainise it, doesn't strike me as very vampiric.

The KnightofSerra dude appearently thought it was "rewards" for slaughtering people, but then again he's not very smart.

BTW, why isn't it in ? is the colour of life, after all.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
, Batman!

but seriously it's a form of healing magic that draws on a creature's strength to aid its allies.
, Batman!

but seriously it's a form of healing magic that draws on a creature's strength to aid its allies.

That doesn't make much sense though. Lifelink feels because 1) it involves creatures, and 2) it can be flavored as predation. (Kresh the Bloodbraided's ability can too.) The second reason also feels very , such as vampires, and the inherent sadism of it.

Basically blame the people who made Legends. Spirit Link gave it an aura, even if it's kinda the antithesis of white, much like red vigilance.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
, Batman!

That doesn't make much sense though. Lifelink feels because 1) it involves creatures, and 2) it can be flavored as predation. (Kresh the Bloodbraided's ability can too.) The second reason also feels very , such as vampires, and the inherent sadism of it.

Basically blame the people who made Legends. Spirit Link gave it an aura, even if it's kinda the antithesis of white, much like red vigilance.

Since every creature mechanic can be flavored in many different ways, pretty much any creature mechanic is green by that logic.

Spirit link is people in a group helping each other by killing people outside the group. That's pretty white, imo.

How does the black flavor work anyway? How does a planeswalker benefit from his summoned vampires? Does the vampire drain the blood and put it in a cup and give it to his master to drink? Similarly with predation.

MaRo has said that they've thought about lifelink in green and have avoided it because green and white have a lot in common already.

MaRo has said that they've thought about lifelink in green and have avoided it because green and white have a lot in common already.

Which doesn't explain why they haven't moved it from White to Green. It makes a lot more sense in Green than White, both flavorfully and mechanically.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
I guess the implication is that , being the colour of growth and fertility, isn't okay with parasitism. In fact, symbiosis vs parasitism is the reason why hates .

falls under the same problem, but unlike , it isn't associated with life. is in fact sometimes associated with death, as in Kamigawa and New Phyrexia.

Therefore, can't really produce life. Most healing spells are in fact damage prevention spells, so they focus more on preventing harm from existing on the first place than to regenerate the already existing wounds.

Therefore, to actually produce life, might be forced to be parasitic. And, since lifelink is supposedly flavoured as "rewards" from slaughtering people, is fine with being a vampire.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
Personally, I've never really gotten the flavor of lifelink. It's like TheMOTI said, why does the controller gain life? I completely get and agree with the flavor of older vampires, like Sengir Vampire  or Baron Sengir. It makes sense that they can steal life to make themselves stronger. How, flavorfully speaking, does a creature with lifelink transport that life energy to it's controller, and to TheMOTI's point, in the case of vampires, why would they?

I'm sure we could come up with reasons, it just seems odd to me.

Shameless Self-Promotion

These are the MTG Fiction pieces I have written:

Planes of the Dual-Walkers
Allo's Fortnight
The Butcher's Cleaver
Dead Man 'Walking
Showdown
Pariah
Deals and Devils
The Tears of the Djinn
Cromat Comes
Kiss of the Shorecerers
Numerous poems in The Poetry Plane
Magic: The Musical

Please read and comment! I love hearing people's thoughts and reactions to my work!

Tube between Felidar Sovereign and my stomach. THANKS, ELSH NORN!

Which doesn't explain why they haven't moved it from White to Green. It makes a lot more sense in Green than White, both flavorfully and mechanically.

Probably because something like that takes time to integrate, and besides, you have 15+ years' worth of white cards with some variation of lifelink. Even if you were to have any new lifelink cards start in Green, there'll always be past sets and new players looking back and thinking, "What makes this life-giving wurm any different from that soul-attached hawk?"

As for me, when lifelink is in black, ala Vampiric Link, I can totally understand. But when some shiny staff gets waved around or some completely unexplained four-eyed snake thingy comes around, I'm naturally a little confused. I usually shy away from these effects when making my decks, because, well... I'm a Vorthos, darn it! I need more than mechanics and fancy images to make a deck about me.

So, yeah. I'm as lost as any of you, and would love some explanation - maybe about how these spells link your spirits or some such, or that they allow you to drain the ambient life energy that's released when your opponent is injured or something...

Profile Picture taken with implied permission from Trildar.

KeeperofManyNames wrote:

Alright, new theory: these forums are an experiment in ultraminimalism. By Monday everything--yes everything--will be the color white, and typing any character will simply produce a solid rectangle of variable height and width.

Since every creature mechanic can be flavored in many different ways, pretty much any creature mechanic is green by that logic.

That's supposed to be how it works. Green doesn't get creature mechanics because of "balance issues", according to MaRo. (This is why the Multiverse is almost entirely bee-free, for instance.) Exactly when monogreen anything has dominated any format, I don't know.

This "balance" tends to produce fail like _insert Hurricane knockoff_ that is decidedly not green, flavorfully or mechanically. And other weirdness. Green gets strictly-worse versions of the shade ability, even though temporary power/toughness boosting is supposed to be primary in green, and Rootwalla was originally black.

How does the black flavor work anyway? How does a planeswalker benefit from his summoned vampires? Does the vampire drain the blood and put it in a cup and give it to his master to drink? Similarly with predation.

Could be sadism too.

I guess the implication is that , being the colour of growth and fertility, isn't okay with parasitism. In fact, symbiosis vs parasitism is the reason why hates .

No, it's interdependence and parasitism.

Retroviruses are green, since they don't do anything but reproduce, but they are parasites. (Also, they change very rapidly.)

falls under the same problem, but unlike , it isn't associated with life. is in fact sometimes associated with death, as in Kamigawa and New Phyrexia.

No evil in NPH? Glistener Elf would like to have a word or two with you. Hope you're not afraid of needles.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
No, but even in New Phyrexia, is associated with life, like Noxious Revival and whatever.
That's supposed to be how it works. Green doesn't get creature mechanics because of "balance issues", according to MaRo. (This is why the Multiverse is almost entirely bee-free, for instance.) Exactly when monogreen anything has dominated any format, I don't know.

Mono-green is pretty good right now.  Also, I think green is in more decks than any other color at the moment, might be the best color in standard right now.

Also, survival of the fittest was maybe the best legacy deck of all time and used a lot of green.
No, but even in New Phyrexia, is associated with life, like Noxious Revival and whatever.

You realize, of course, that New Phyrexia is life. Its flavor is that of an infection.
139359831 wrote:
Yes, but it is overall associated with death-like imagery and powers. Even the Machine Othodoxy has decidely skeletical motiffs and powers based on sapping away the life of your enemies.

The exception is the Green faction, which retains Green's associations with life.
Phyrexia is kind of about New Life Through Death.

The old you dies and is replaced/improved to give you a new, "better" existence.

The removal of organic material, replacing it with unliving metal.

The quashing of individuality and the sense of a self, in favor of being little more than a cog in a machine...

Some of the new factions in New Phyrexia were less about death than Old Phyrexia was, but I don't think you can honestly say that "New Phyrexia is life".
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
Still, an infection is life. Not life like you might want it, but life.
139359831 wrote:
Still, an infection is life. Not life like you might want it, but life.

In our world, yes. But the Phyrexian infection is one of magic. It corrupts life, but I don't really think it is, itself, alive.
Old Phyrexian scriptures talk of things like endless evolution, the importance of natural selection, and the ultimate conquest of Death to achieve godhood.

There's always been a touch of Green in Phyrexia, despite the Ineffable's basic nature. 
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
I'm going to argue against that. You may or may not remember a thread several years back which tied Magic's colors to its lands. willpell, when he was here, had often deep things to say about the color pie, and I still use that thread to describe colors.

To excerpt from willpell's thread:

And finally we come to the swamp.  Like a forest, a swamp is a very fecund place, but
mostly for the smallest and most straightforward of lifeforms.  Even if mages and other
inhabitants of medieval Dominia don't know what bacteria are, they can look at insects,
parasitic worms, and other such small, simple, merciless lifeforms which operate on much
the same principles.  A swamp is a place where life decays and feeds lesser forms of life,
exactly the inverse of a forest where trees grow so huge that smaller plants must grow
out of their trunks in order ot reach the sun.  Few large or complex lifeforms can
succeed in the ultra-competitive environment of a bracken or bog, and so the inherent
nature of black mana is tied to such cutthroat congestion and the relentlessness it
engenders in those who would flourish there.  This can be seen in the underbelly of a
city's criminal element just as easily as in a peat marsh; it is also present, though less
visible, in more refined circumstances, which the black-aligned figure could turn ugly at
any minute, so they make a point of never losing their edge.  Furthermore, these
inviduals realize that no matter how successful they are, their eventual death is
inevitable, and so they are often not content to settle for getting the good things that
supposedly come to those who wait; they seize their opportunities out of a sort of
desperation, determined to live to the fullest in case they don't get the chance later,
but being more careful than the red-aligned to prepare for the possibility that they will
have to live with those consequences after all.  Basically, they prepare for the worst,
knowing that it usually happens - a lesson they can see demonstrated in the fates of those
who fail to take the swamp seriously.

There's nothing really I can add to that. It's so succint I think it says by itself why there's no :G: in (old) Phyrexia.

Profile Picture taken with implied permission from Trildar.

KeeperofManyNames wrote:

Alright, new theory: these forums are an experiment in ultraminimalism. By Monday everything--yes everything--will be the color white, and typing any character will simply produce a solid rectangle of variable height and width.

As to the topic:

I don't see white lifelink as stealing life; I see it as an aura that heals as it deals damage.  I think of it as a karma thing: in order to keep balance, when harm is done to one individual, another is healed. This balance is very much in tune with white.
56965458 wrote:
As long as it's random, I really can't see where's the problem. Anyway, there's already a few standard ways for doing this. We listed them in this thread. If someone does the bogey-bogey, eats the cards, waits until they come out, look out the approximate order, place replacements in the same order, calls the president to ask him to give him a string of numbers, puts the card in the given order, then pick the cards in the order given by taking the date of birth of his opponent, reversed, and taking only every other number, then a judge can clearly declare that he's random enough.
56874518 wrote:
The beauty of sarcasm is that when the person using it is totally incorrect, you can just remove the sarcasm and end up with a post that is actually correct.