Mono Black Control

26 posts / 0 new
Last post

Win conditions....
Sorin Markov -> Sorin's Vengeance
Griselbrand
Mimic Vat and control the enemies creatures. The Mimic Vat is more for the enemies creatures than my own but at the very least I can use it on Solemn.
Lashwrithe -> Inkmoth Nexus
The Ratchet bomb is the only thing that can take down planeswalkers so I would save it for that.

Let me know what you think. I got third place in a Modern Tourny, only losing one very close round. Tomorrow Ill test it out in Standard. My sideboard needs the most work.

[deck]
Sideboard
3 Phyrexian Obliterator
4 Duress
2 Curse of Death's Hold
3 Doomblade
3 Vampire Nighthawk[/deck]

Ill probably throw in a Diabolical Revolution in the main deck. Maybe some Grafdiggers in the sideboard. Witchbane orbs. No budget.
post this in the mono black control thread we can talk about it there, it is under the Standard Tournament Center: Tier 2 section of the forums, its like the first one on the list it would be hard to miss. On another note, try skinrender + mimic vat

also try throwing in some consume spirits if your going to run liliana of the dark realms people can always kill your big fatties with some sort of kill spell, but they can't stop you from draining them dry.
Id rather not. I don't like those big threads and such.
I do like your idea on Consume Spirit I'll have to give it a try. The only problem with it is if I have too many direct damage spells Witchbane Orb will counter me too hard and being black I have no artifact removal. Skinrender I was never really a fan of. 4 Mana for a -3/-3 doesn't seem too useful. I'd rather grab a Massacre Wurm
Are there any artifacts that destroy artifacts or any black cards?
Witch bane orbs aren't really showing up in a lot of sideboards right now, I wouldn't stress too much about them.  And if they do happen to sidethem in, you can always side out your consumes.
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
for artifact and enchantment removal most MBC decks are relying on Karn Liberated even though he is late game, his permanent removal is just what a mono black deck needs and his 4+ ability is also very useful as well.

the meta game right now is very creature based, there are a lot of decks that use tokens or enter the battle feild effects, things like Elvish Visionary or Augur of Bolas, once there on the field there just used as chump blockers or as foder against sacroficing effects like geth's verdict, I would suggest you get rid of some of the black sun's zenith you are running and put in some more targeting kill spells like doomblade, tragic slip or go for the throat

its ok if you dont post on the MBC forums, I understand long threads can be a hassel, but look at some of the decks that other people have posted there they can teach you how to better your deck

I would take out some of the pristine talismans that you are running 4 is a lot, is the 4 Solemn simulacrum you are running mana ramping should not be too much of a problem, I would also suggest Warden of the Wall for your deck if you get tired of pristine talisman, it is a blocker that will never be hit by your sorcery based board wipes; of course your deck has more creatures then mine so pristine talisman work better with your deck probably.

also you might want to throw in some distress or duress they are basicly the only artifact and enchantment removal that black has available to it besides karn liberated, personally like distress more because even if they don't have any kind of enchantment, artifact, or planeswalker I can't hit in their hand, I can still hit their creatures.

another spell people seem to have forgotten about is painful quandary if you want late game control, there is no better card, I am fiddling around with it in my own MBC deck right now; at best it will completely cripple most decks at worst it forces the enemy to get rid of 2 cards or get rid of one card and take 5 damage to the face, from what ive seen most people have completely forgotten about it and most of the time have no real counter for it in their sideboard or main deck. The funiest thing about this card is that if you play your cards right and get lucky you can play it on turn 4, turn 3 you put down pristine talisman or Warden of the Wall, turn 4 the enemy is dumbfounded.

from what ive seen most of the MBC decks out there right now are basing their win condition around either summoning big creature likes griselbrand and massacure wrum to win them the game, but if you want to truely catch the meta game off guard you have to play a more spell based game, right now there is a lot of creature removal in the meta game and not that much protection against spell based attacks like consume spirit other than counter spell based decks. Take a look at the MBC deck I made, I based it around being a more spell based control deck

mtgdeckbuilder.net/Decks/ViewDeck/178842

if you want to keep it a creature based deck then I would suggest basing your creature base around zombies, that way you and implement call to the grave until RtR is released the card is still legal and most players are going to think twice before summoning creatures while call to the grave is on the field, at best is clears out all of their creatures, at worse it stops them from playing creatures for the next 2 turns, plus with warden of the wall on the field the downside of the spell can only happen durring your turn because it will always be a creature on their turn.
is this Brian Kibler?

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Well the Pristine Talisman is there to slow down aggro decks. So many times do I go against goblin decks and that 1 health a turn slows them down by a whole creature. When I mutilate that 1 health (or more) per turn returns me to 20. It's pretty much like saying if you don't attack me you will regret it. While the Gargoyle is good it doesn't offer anything if the opponent doesn't attack and if they attack with a 3 power monster I lose a mana.
While I do agree with you that this is a very creature heavy meta I don't agree that you should go full spell. I have it mixed up. I have several different kind of wincons.
First I have a few creature wincons
Griselbrand
Inkmoth Nexus
Lashwrithe
Mimic Vat
Then I have a few spell wincons
Sorin Markov
Sorin's Vengeance
By mixing it up if they play Witchbane orb I am not entirely screwed until I draw say Karn or Ratchet Bomb. If they have tons of creature removal, so do I and I can buy time until I get Sorin's Vengeance out.
I do like your thoughts on Karn. I'm not sure why I didn't think of him. Duress also sounds pretty smart. I'm not sure what I would remove to put a few in. I usually just kept them in sideboard for Delver decks. I'm not too sure how I feel about Painful Quandary. 5 Mana is rather a lot. I might try it, it would work much better with Liliana of the Veil.
When it comes to Geth's Verdict I don't use it in the beginning I have 7 field wiping cards so I have a fairly good chance of getting one in the first three turns. I let me opponent (if hes playing a aggro deck) play his hand. I let myself get down to 10~ Hp and he thinks he's winning and I have a bad hand. Then bam mutilate/BSZ. After that he's down to 1-3 cards. My health goes up from a pristine talisman or two. I geth's verdict his next creature further increasing my health. If he has two I can always Geth's Verdict + Tragic Slip.
I also want to add a Staff of Nin. It just sounds all around awesome.
is this Brian Kibler?

I had to google that name, I guess thats a compliment? not sure who brian kibler is but wikipedia said some nice things about him. Smile

its going to sound stupid but, if your worried about rushes you can always try gloom surgeon prevents too much damage from being dealt, I put them in my sideboard to counter infect decks and extremely potent rush decks. also I wouldn't worry about witchbane orb, there are not that many decks running that even in their sideboard. also staff of nin is awsome, I would put that in your deck if at all possible, its like a free removal for really small creatures or a really slow win condition + Phyrexian Arena.

something I forgot about nihil spellbomb if you do not use this in your main deck you will need it in your sideboard, this artifact hurts so many decks right now, kills anything with undying, kills solarflare, kills Snapcaster Mage, it hurts too many other decks in the meta game right now to ignore plus it is a draw condition.

you might want to try army of the damned as well, it is always a fun spell and it is flashbackable lol, who doesn't like having a horde of zombies win you the game?

if you have the creatures down I would suggest aiming your sideboard for the mirror matches, infect rush decks, if you run into other control decks, and the ever popular wolf run pod decks that are out there right now.

The Phyrexian Obliterator in your sideboard offer a solution to the pod matches that they can rarely answer, on a side note if they are running Wrack with Madness then your going to need another solution, I would suggest skinrender <== personal prefference he weakens their fatties and kills weaklings and is a body or perhaps sever the bloodline it reusable with all the mana ramping and placement in your deck flashback will not be too much of problem.

infect rush is simple enough to handle, just through in some gloom surgeons or better yet fume spitter. for the mirror matches and the control I would suggest a lot of nihil spellbomb, duresss, and distresss, pretty simple.
also I see you dont have a curse of death's hold put that in there it is great against any rush deck late into the game, it completely shuts them down
is this Brian Kibler?

He was asking if this was Kibler because he(Kibler), on his live stream, played a -very- similar deck.

IMAGE(http://oi55.tinypic.com/6yjjp1.jpg)

is this Brian Kibler?

He was asking if this was Kibler because he(Kibler), on his live stream, played a -very- similar deck.

I wasn't aware of that, I am relatively new to magic I only started with innistrad, im not familiar with all of the magic gurus yet. Laughing

on another note, I thought I should bring up spellskite for match ups against wolf run mana ramping decks out there I know that you would have to pay 2 life everytime you use it but spellskites ability would ideally crush the wolf run strategy because you could change the target of their specialty land to spellskite; also you could try ghost quarter as well could just simply destroy the land.
Hey guys,

jumping in the party a little late... any tips on my MBC (Black Market in a puddle)?

Planes Walkers
===========
1 Karn Liberated
1 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
2 Liliana of the Veil

Creatures
===========
3 Solemn Simulacrum
2 Wurmcoil Engine

Artifacts
===========
1 Batterskull
1 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Ichor Wellspring
2 Tumble Magnet
1 Lashwrithe
2 Mycosynth Wellspring
3 Nihil Spellbomb
2 Pristine Talisman
1 Ratchet Bomb
3 Trading Post

Spells
===========
2 Black Sun's Zenith
2 Go for the Throat
4 Mutilate
2 Tragic Slip

Lands
============
19 Swamp
1 Island

3 Inkmoth Nexus

It's been mentioned before, but win conditions are Karn, Lashwrite + inkmoth, Trading Posts + artifacts + Tezz

I've playtested this against a few matchups and i don't do too horribly... I'm stuck on what to add for a sideboard. Any ideas?

Saying not many people play Witchbane orb is rather ignorant and irresponsible. I played a FNM tonight. I placed 5th out of 40 with only one loss against a deck I should NOT have lost to. Three people had Witchbane orb in their sideboard. Fortunately I Griselbrand won the only games he actually got to play it.
I don't really see the advantage to Nihil. Pay 2 mana for 1 card? I have Solemn and Sign in Blood for card advantage. Exiling their graveyard isn't that useful. I'd rather play Grafdiggers because that also counters Green Sun's Zenith. Gloom Surgeon is just a horrible card for Mono Black Control. Army of the Damned isn't as reliable of a win condition. With Stoneforge Mystic being popular at the moment having 30000 zombies wont change anything. Also a single whipflare, slagstorm, 2 mana Black zeniths, mutilate, Bonfire of the damned and many many other cards of all colors can stop that.
Phyrexian Obliterator I just use for goblins and green. It messes them up rather badly.
Staff of nin! I'll probably put it in haha.
Saying not many people play Witchbane orb is rather ignorant and irresponsible. I played a FNM tonight. I placed 5th out of 40 with only one loss against a deck I should NOT have lost to. Three people had Witchbane orb in their sideboard. Fortunately I Griselbrand won the only games he actually got to play it.
I don't really see the advantage to Nihil. Pay 2 mana for 1 card? I have Solemn and Sign in Blood for card advantage. Exiling their graveyard isn't that useful. I'd rather play Grafdiggers because that also counters Green Sun's Zenith. Gloom Surgeon is just a horrible card for Mono Black Control. Army of the Damned isn't as reliable of a win condition. With Stoneforge Mystic being popular at the moment having 30000 zombies wont change anything. Also a single whipflare, slagstorm, 2 mana Black zeniths, mutilate, Bonfire of the damned and many many other cards of all colors can stop that.
Phyrexian Obliterator I just use for goblins and green. It messes them up rather badly.

every FNM is different, the one I play at does not play witchbane orb, in fact no one even considers it; nihil spellbomb counters a lot of decks in the field right now, not to mention it makes sure anything with undying stays dead, with the reprint of rancor perhaps gloom surgeon loses a lot of value, the only purpose behind him is to delay the game to a point in which a rush deck will not overwhelm you so that you can get something like mutilate or BSZ off.

army of the damned is a lot more reliable then you would think, if they whipflare you just flashback it for 2 more mana, whats unreliable about that? stoneforge mystic isn't even legal in standard right now, if your playing modern or legacy then your options become much more open in terms of cards you can play.

from this last post it feels like your trolling me, if you don't like my advice then don't take it and ignore me.
Hey guys,

jumping in the party a little late... any tips on my MBC (Black Market in a puddle)?

Planes Walkers
===========
1 Karn Liberated
2 Liliana of the Veil

Creatures
===========
3 Solemn Simulacrum
2 Wurmcoil Engine

Artifacts
===========
1 Batterskull
1 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Ichor Wellspring
2 Tumble Magnet
1 Lashwrithe
2 Mycosynth Wellspring
3 Nihil Spellbomb
2 Pristine Talisman
1 Ratchet Bomb
3 Trading Post

Spells
===========
2 Black Sun's Zenith
2 Go for the Throat
4 Mutilate
2 Tragic Slip

Lands
============
19 Swamp
1 Island

3 Inkmoth Nexus

It's been mentioned before, but win conditions are Karn, Lashwrite + inkmoth, Trading Posts + artifacts + Tezz

I've playtested this against a few matchups and i don't do too horribly... I'm stuck on what to add for a sideboard. Any ideas?

I couldn't say how to better serve your deck, I'm not really all too good with understanding the ins and outs of an artifact controll deck, but If you want to go into that direction you can try implmenting Phylactery Lich into your deck, you have more then enough artifacts to support him and at 3 mana he should be a useful tool to utilize.

also dual black and blue lands from the M13 set will allow you to impliment Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas more seamlessly into your deck.

every FNM is different, the one I play at does not play witchbane orb, in fact no one even considers it; nihil spellbomb counters a lot of decks in the field right now, not to mention it makes sure anything with undying stays dead, with the reprint of rancor perhaps gloom surgeon loses a lot of value, the only purpose behind him is to delay the game to a point in which a rush deck will not overwhelm you so that you can get something like mutilate or BSZ off.

army of the damned is a lot more reliable then you would think, if they whipflare you just flashback it for 2 more mana, whats unreliable about that? stoneforge mystic isn't even legal in standard right now, if your playing modern or legacy then your options become much more open in terms of cards you can play.

from this last post it feels like your trolling me, if you don't like my advice then don't take it and ignore me.

Why because I'm arguing with you? You have 0 credibility. I have NO idea who you are. You aren't a top 8 finalist in a grand prix. So I argue with you to make the best decision. If you take it personally then don't comment.
Stonehorn Dignitary  is what I meant to say and he is Very legal in standard. Very commonly used.
Yes every FNM is different which is exactly why its ignorant and irresponsible to say "No one plays this" A good deck should be prepared for every situation. That goes doubly for control. 13 Tokens is much easier to counter than 10 direct damage or a 7/7 Flying on a mimic vat.
Any field wiping card takes out the tokens and almost any successful standard deck has a few ways to clear a field. Stonehorn Dignitary just prevents them all together. If they have a blood artist on the field 13 tokens is far too dangerous to summon. They also come out tapped and can't block pretty much ensuring you are wasting a turn when you summon them. Two turns if you have to flashback them.
While I agree that Nihil Spellbomb does counter a deck its only for 1 turn while Grafdigger's Cage is until the artifact is removed. The field wiping spells and kill cards are there to delay the game which makes Gloom Surgeon a terrible card in my opinion. A control decks biggest weakness is mill, not aggro and that card basically mills yourself.

Why because I'm arguing with you? You have 0 credibility. I have NO idea who you are. You aren't a top 8 finalist in a grand prix. So I argue with you to make the best decision. If you take it personally then don't comment.
Stonehorn Dignitary  is what I meant to say and he is Very legal in standard. Very commonly used.
Yes every FNM is different which is exactly why its ignorant and irresponsible to say "No one plays this" A good deck should be prepared for every situation. That goes doubly for control. 13 Tokens is much easier to counter than 10 direct damage or a 7/7 Flying on a mimic vat.
Any field wiping card takes out the tokens and almost any successful standard deck has a few ways to clear a field. Stonehorn Dignitary just prevents them all together. If they have a blood artist on the field 13 tokens is far too dangerous to summon. They also come out tapped and can't block pretty much ensuring you are wasting a turn when you summon them. Two turns if you have to flashback them.
While I agree that Nihil Spellbomb does counter a deck its only for 1 turn while Grafdigger's Cage is until the artifact is removed. The field wiping spells and kill cards are there to delay the game which makes Gloom Surgeon a terrible card in my opinion. A control decks biggest weakness is mill, not aggro and that card basically mills yourself.

I have made my suggestions, if you do not like them, then that is that; it is hard to believe that you would come to the forums seeking help building a deck and turn down advice because I did not compete in some tournament. I suggest 13 zombies over 1 7/7 fattie because it is a lot easier to remove 1 creature from the field rather then 13 weakling zombies. MBC has a lot of options right now, all I did was try to open your eyes to some of the ones that might not have been so obvious, I never said any of your original ideas were bad, I never said any of my ideas would overshadow the cards you origionally picked. Since when do the zombie tokens come to the field tapped? army of the damned only summons 13 zombies it does not tap them. If your having a problem with mill decks then run Elixir of Immortality in your sideboard, it should solve your problems, if you want Grafdigger's Cage over the spellbomb, take it, it is after all your deck, all I am doing is providing ideas for you to think about; insulting my credability should never become an issue, if you dont like my ideas don't use them.
I suppose you missed the ENTIRE point of arguing.
Army of the Damned Read the card. When you cast it, its basically wasting a turn. You can't block with them during your opponents next turn and that late into the game giving an opponent a free turn could be devastating. I ran it alot in my Zombie deck and it very rarely ever won me a game. If you flashback it, once again you are wasting a turn unless you have an absurd amount of mana on the field or you Emblem'd Liliana.
I didn't say one 7/7 Fatty. I said one 7/7 Fatty on a Mimic Vat which basically means unlimited 7/7 Fatties for 3 mana each. Here is the beautiful thing about Mimic Vat. I can use Mutilate and wipe the field and STILL have my creature every turn. I can also use him for defense.
Also 1 Sorcery for 10 damage and 10 Life gain.
Also 1 Lashwrithe with 1 Inkmoth Nexus or even the Lashwrithe alone is deadly.
Honestly Sorin's Vengeance has won me the most games with Diabolic Revelation and Sorin Markov
It is much easier to get rid of 13 tapped creatures than it is to get rid of a artifact or sorcery.
I can't believe you are taking this so personally. It blows my mind how this society works. You have no credibility so I can't just take your word on something and be all hunky doory. Thats like saying a complete stranger comes up to you and says the best deck in the game is 35 Relentless Rats so you only play that. The entire point of arguing one card over the better is to see how one card weighs against another. Maybe I missed something with Nihil like if you use it during XX it does XX which your opponent didn't see coming. But instead of arguing you are taking everything personally and its just your way or no way. Thats not constructive or helpful at all.
Mill is just a weakness of Control. Sure I can run 4 Elixir of Immortality and I often do if I see a lot of mill decks on Thursdays tournaments but with them constantly milling it decreases my chances of actually drawing that card. If Jace hits the field I have 5-6 turns to kill Jace or lose the game.
I suppose you missed the ENTIRE point of arguing.
Army of the Damned Read the card.
I didn't say one 7/7 Fatty. I said one 7/7 Fatty on a Mimic Vat which basically means unlimited 7/7 Fatties for 3 mana each.
Also 1 Sorcery for 10 damage and 10 Life gain.
Also 1 Lashwrithe with 1 Inkmoth Nexus or even the Lashwrithe alone is deadly.
Honestly Sorin's Vengeance has won me the most games with Diabolical Revalation and Sorin Markov
It is much easier to get rid of 13 tapped creatures than it is to get rid of a artifact or sorcery.
I can't believe you are taking this so personally. It blows my mind how this society works. You have no credibility so I can't just take your word on something and be all hunky doory. Thats like saying a complete stranger comes up to you and says the best deck in the game is 35 Relentless Rats so you only play that. The entire point of arguing one card over the better is to see how one card weighs against another. Maybe I missed something with Nihil like if you use it during XX it does XX which your opponent didn't see coming. But instead of arguing you are taking everything personally and its just your way or no way. Thats not constructive or helpful at all.

wow never saw the part where they come in tapped, guess i missed that part, the mimic vat idea isn't a bad idea and i never said it was, nor did i say sorin's vengeance was a bad idea either, i merely suggested army of the damned might fit into your deck even if they do come in tapped. This idea that you need credibility to even suggest ideas for a deck is absurd, you came to an open forum to try and better your deck, I suggested a few ideas for you to look into, I have said numerious times in my other posts that if you do not like the ideas, then do not take them; the reason It comes off that I am taking it personally is because you attacked me as a person rather then attacking my ideas. If something does not work for your deck or perhaps you think one card will be better then another, then fine; you do not have to insult a person for bringing up even the simplist of suggestions.

If you like your deck the way it is then take it as it is, if you like some of the ideas I have presented then use some of the ideas I have presented, not all of my ideas are winners. A lot of the cards I presented are not all going to take you to the top, but evaluating every possible option is normally the best means by which to approach an exercise like this; sometimes a solution to a problem will present itself simply by looking at cards you would not have previously considered. Arguing a card is fine, bringing a valid point up is fine, but when you insult the other party thats when people tend to take things personally.
Alright you are ****ing retarded. That is a insult to you and now I'm going to block you. I seriously can't believe you are so block headed you can't understand how arguing is more beneficial than "Take my idea or not" and I tried to explain it to you four times but you just aren't getting it so its easier to call you ****ing retarded and block you.
Hey guys,

Planes Walkers
===========
1 Karn Liberated
2 Liliana of the Veil

Creatures
===========
3 Solemn Simulacrum
2 Wurmcoil Engine

Artifacts
===========
1 Batterskull
1 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Ichor Wellspring
2 Tumble Magnet
1 Lashwrithe
2 Mycosynth Wellspring
3 Nihil Spellbomb
2 Pristine Talisman
1 Ratchet Bomb
3 Trading Post

Spells
===========
2 Black Sun's Zenith
2 Go for the Throat
4 Mutilate
2 Tragic Slip

Lands
============
19 Swamp
1 Island

3 Inkmoth Nexus

I couldn't say how to better serve your deck, I'm not really all too good with understanding the ins and outs of an artifact controll deck, but If you want to go into that direction you can try implmenting Phylactery Lich into your deck, you have more then enough artifacts to support him and at 3 mana he should be a useful tool to utilize.

also dual black and blue lands from the M13 set will allow you to impliment Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas more seamlessly into your deck.

I like the idea of Phylactery lich, 3 for a 5/5 indestructable is nice. I may try to add that. 

I'm not too worried about mana fixing... my artifacts + trading post give me a very good chance of getting that one island. 

The control is real nice, i seem to have a proble with early game spot removal since i'm not running a lot of GFTT or Doom blades, or any edicts. 

I'm thinking for a SB i would add more graffdiggers cages to shut down GSZ which seems to be real strong in the meta... shut down zombies, and prevent delver from going crazy with the flashbacks.

I would probably put 4x mental misstep in to prevent any delvers from resolving as well as a surgical extraction if that were to pop up.

also, i should add surgical extraction (i think) in a SB.

sooo,

2x Grafdigger's Cage
4x mental misstep
2x surgical extraction
2x geth's verdict
1x Wurmcoil
1x Griselbrand
2x Doom blade
1x Go For the Throat
I think adding in Mental Misstep is rather dumb. Tragic Slip, Doom Blade, Go for the throat, black sun's zenith, mutilate, dismember. Black is given a plethora of removal spells. Why pay 2 life and sub in 4 cards that are only good for 1 creature?
so much hostility on these forums. 

Mental misstep to answer surgical extraction if some one plays it on me, 4 may be a bit much but i don't think it is "rather dumb"
Misstep is really only good against certain matchups. If your meta has lots of Naya aggro/pod or weenie decks then it can be useful because of the one drops.

It really is a meta call, however with plenty of removal and board wipes you shouldnt need to worry about countering a 1cmc dude. 
100th post on 5/29/12 500th post on 8/20/12
I think adding in Mental Misstep is rather dumb. Tragic Slip, Doom Blade, Go for the throat, black sun's zenith, mutilate, dismember. Black is given a plethora of removal spells. Why pay 2 life and sub in 4 cards that are only good for 1 creature?

gotta agree with tratnula on this one Mental Misstep in this deck looks alot better then removal at this poin in the build.
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

I disagree about Mental Misstep in Mono Black Control.  It doesnt get rid of the biggest threats and value creatures in the format ( Blade Splicer, Thragtusk, Huntmaster, Undying dudes). While it is good against delver they can Ponder all they want but without creatures they arent winning, uhnless they can somehow mill you to death. Sure, youll have to play around mana leak, but its no big deal considering you have enough mana and back ups win-cons.

Id much rather just play Surgical Extraction and get rid off all the card you want to get rid of. 

Im not sure if its already been mentioned, but  Batterskull is excellent in MBC. The life gain is very nice and it is a recurring threat.

Also, Pristine Talisman has worked really well in testing for me.
100th post on 5/29/12 500th post on 8/20/12