DnD Realms or Ebberon theme block?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Why has this not been done yet?

So much potential for an awesome set! 
Imagine magic cards for:

Beholders, Mind Flayers, Bulette, Gauth's, Gnoll's, Tiamat, Bahamat,

The deities like Lolth, Ohgma, Mystra, Bane, Torm, Legendaries: Drizzt Do' Urden, Raistlin Majere Caramon Majere, Khelben Blackstaff, Elminster, Artemis Entreri, Obould Many Arrows!

So many cool artifacts to choose from like vorpal sword, deck of many things, tree tokens, pearls of power, Obsidian Steed!

DnD theme spells like Magic Missile, Power Word Kill, Sleep, Cone of Cold, Ray of frost!  Rituals turned to enchantments!   And it fits perfectly with the planeswalking theme of magic.

It's almost completely (content removed) that this has not been made yet......

(ORC_Loche: Edited - Hatespeech is against the Code of Conduct.)
Maybe they could make a Lord of the Rings block too! Or Spider Man!
IMAGE(http://www.spritestitch.com/forum/images/ranks/rank7mario.gif)
WotC used to poll the consumers on a fairly regular basis about this. The long and short of it is that the cross-over market is too small.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

I would buy the living crap out of an Eberron-themed block.
Maybe they could make a Lord of the Rings block too! Or Spider Man!

Or a sweet troll theme set maybe! Set in the of Tanuki-Mario plane. Home of the odorous swamp troll race that uses all 5 mana colors!

Yes Hasbro totally owns Spiderman and Lord of the Rings and that is absolutely related. Herp-a-derp....

Don't hate on my idea for whatever reason people like you choose to hate others good ideas.

This is a fantastic idea and I hope it happens.

DnD flavor perfectly matches MTG.  It would sell like crazy and be totally sweet.  Only reason not to do it is if WOTC hates money, and because it will hold up Tanuki-Marios Twilight Series block.

DnD flavor perfectly matches MTG. 

Honestly, no it really doesnt.  The comparison between Forgotten Realm's and MTG's universes doesnt really hold up beyond just saying they are both loosely defined by the fantasy category.   It would require a complete rewrite of one or both of the storylines.

And thats without even mentioning that Realms and Eberron both have multiple other planes within their universes.  So you'd be bringing all of those into the MTG canon somehow as well.

You could certainly make a card game based around one of the DnD universes, but they just dont fit within the Magic universe at all.  I am somewhat surprised that they've never gone the other way and made an official d20 system rpg based on the MTG intellectual property though.

Honestly, no it really doesnt.

Honestly, yeah it does.
There was a D&D card game, Spellfire. From my understanding, it was quite different from MtG though.

Honestly, yeah it does.

Clearly you have thought this out in a well reasoned fashion, I'll just bow to your superior wisdom.

Oh yeah, before I go, how did you reconcile the basic rules of magic and spellcraft in all three of those universes working absolutely and completely differently with almost nothing in common?

Did we somehow make it through years of Forgotten Realms canon and someone just forgot to mention the importance of using connections to memories of the land to power spells?

#1)
Not too mention that the number of DnD players are tiny compared against the numbers of Magic players.

So 99% of the Magic players would say "WTF is this crap?"

#2)
Magic has plenty of flavor all by itself. It doesn't need help.

#3)
Genereally speaking, most of the time when a company splash their properties together, all parties involved suffer. (especially a when combining succesful one, and a failing one) Think Batman featuring Scooby Doo.

#4)
Silly fan boy idea is silly. So I gave you a silly response in the first place. Spider Man block FTW!
oops.

I thought Zendikar was the rpg adventurers block. Complete with dangerous terrain, level-ups, and massive world-threatening super-monsters!
Crossover fiction is always dangerous. It's very easy, in the pursuit of making one universe work within another, to make a hybrid that's distinctly worse than either.

Forgotten Realms is a universe with a lot of baggage and backstory. While not all of that would be necessary to make a Magic plane themed around it work, it isn't worth the hassle. Those who aren't familiar with D&D wouldn't really appreciate the  references, and those that are familiar with it would object to every inconsistency. Nobody wins.
Rules Advisor. Used to play a lot of old Extended tournaments, now I just play prereleases and casual kitchen-table games with friends. My regular decks, many of which have been evolving for years: Contested Cliffs Beasts Coastal Piracy Hana Kami Spirit recycling Rout Multiplayer control Seizan, Perverter of Truth Commander
The closest D&D and MtG ever got and ever should get is A/B/U.

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

TSR tried to make a TCG back in the day. It...did not turn out well.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

TSR tried to make a TCG back in the day. It...did not turn out well.

Yes, I know. It was janky.

Sign In to post comments