Wrath of Ashardalon - is 2nd level the highest that player characters can go?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi there! New to the board.
I'm a D&D player from many years back. Most of my experience was 2nd edition, but I stuck around for the 3rd until time and responsibilities took away from my being able to play.

I came across the "Wrath of Ashardalon" game, and thought it would be a great way to relive the fun and get my D&D fix without having to invest the 6-10 hours each night to play. I read the rules today and it seems great but I have a few questions...

1. The book isn't clear about leveling up past 2nd. Is that as far as you can go as a player character?

2. Are there playable characters available online or elsewhere besides the 5 that come with the game? Is there an effective way to create custom ones? I would really like to resurrect my old Human Wizard from my early playing days.

Thanks in advance folks!
Hi.

Yes, level 2 is as much as you can get to but really, within the confines of this game, that's all you need.  Gameplay is usually pretty fast, and the odds of leveling are small.  As much as I like these games, it really isn't an RPG, it's not something to make a campaign out of, unless you start customizing it.

Which brings me to your second question.  I really recommend you head to the Wrath of Ashardalon variants section, on boardgamegeek.com (www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/723950/dunge...).  Start exploring there, head to the similar sections for Castle Ravenloft and Legend of Drizzt, and see where it takes you. 

Regards.

Hi.

Yes, level 2 is as much as you can get to but really, within the confines of this game, that's all you need.  Gameplay is usually pretty fast, and the odds of leveling are small.  As much as I like these games, it really isn't an RPG, it's not something to make a campaign out of, unless you start customizing it.

Which brings me to your second question.  I really recommend you head to the Wrath of Ashardalon variants section, on boardgamegeek.com (www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/723950/dunge...).  Start exploring there, head to the similar sections for Castle Ravenloft and Legend of Drizzt, and see where it takes you. 

Regards.

I made a blog post with all the additions and cool add ons you can find to expand the game:

1angrygamer.blogspot.com/2012/07/descent...

There are more on Board Game Geek

I also own all three games which makes it a rather awesome menagerie of dungeon and cavern goodness 
Thanks for the replies