How do you play? What are your session times? Frequencies? Turnouts?

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just out of curiosity...

How long, in hours, does your average session run?   Do you find this too short, just right, or too long?

How frequently do you play?

How many players at the average session?

One long campaign or a series of (more or less) unrelated adventures?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My answers: 

Each of our sessions is 5 to 5 1/2 hours.   If I had my druthers, this would be closer to 8.

We play once a week, which is frequent enough since I create and DM as I go.   Otherwise, I'd be happy to play 3 times a week.

Average session has 4 or 5 players, sometimes more.

Each campaign lasts about 6 months.

Just out of curiosity...

How long, in hours, does your average session run?   Do you find this too short, just right, or too long?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My answers: 

Each session is 4 hours (Sunday afternoons from 3 to 7). I wouldn't mind running 5-hour sessions (starting earlier).

Plans are to play every week.  If 1 player is absent, we normally still play. If 2 are absent, we postpone.

There are 5 players total.  1 joins us via Skype and Maptool. If he's unavailable, we often play other games.

Just started a new campaign last week based almost entirely on player backgrounds and suggestions. The only thing I established was the setting and character creation rules. Planning to run at least levels 1-10.      
i usually play twice a week, three to five hour sessions, four to five pcs. one campaign has been going well over a year. for the other games i typically run  one shots or play if the opportunity is there
Every other Sunday

How long, in hours, does your average session run?

Noon to 6:00 PM. Six hours.

Do you find this too short, just right, or too long?
Perfect.

Six on average (we have players). We play with a minimum of 4 players (plus me, the DM).

We have a single long campaign, but I cobble unrelated published adventures together to form the episodes. It started at level 4. I am prepared to end it at levels 11, 16, 21, or 30, depending on the wishes of the players.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Every sunday at 7

7-11 or 12 so about 5 hours

Alittle short, we used to do it saturday afternoons at 1 till about 7 or later, but this proved hard for some people to do.

Eight, you heard me, EIGHT!

I've run two main campains over the period of 4e's lifespan. One died at level 20 due to some people going poof due to life stuff, others getting summer jobs, and other complications. The other is currently ongoing and is at level 18 (i sure hope it doesnt die) I toss in random adventures from time to time to mix things up a bit.

Encounters, 3 times a week plus other stuff.

Say 1 1/2 hours each encounters, 12 hours once a month, and 50 hours per con 3 times a year.

Encounters could be better if it were a little longer.

Sessions have varied from 4 to 9 players
I have one campaign every Thursday at a friend's house, one every other Saturday at the FLGS, and one three Sundays a month at another friend's house.

7pm - 11pm on Thursdays, 10:30am - 3:00pm on Saturdays, and 6pm - 10pm on Sundays.

Pretty good... I don't think I could get in much more gaming in a week without compromising on some other part of it.

7 on Thursdays, 6 on Saturdays, and 6 (potentially 7) on Sundays.

Three long (3 years, 5 years, and 2 years) ongoing campaigns intermixed with a few nascent or mini campaigns when the GM needs a break.
I play in a campaign which gets together every fortnight for a 4-5 hour session and run a campaign which meets up every month for a single 8-9 hour session.
All things considered it works out pretty well for me in both departments.
My play group has 7 players and a DM, my campaign has 6 polayers plus me.
Both campaigns are a single, long development of plot points and character advancement across a large expanse of  'the world' 
I have one campaign every Thursday at a friend's house, one every other Saturday at the FLGS, and one three Sundays a month at another friend's house.

7pm - 11pm on Thursdays, 10:30am - 3:00pm on Saturdays, and 6pm - 10pm on Sundays.

Pretty good... I don't think I could get in much more gaming in a week without compromising on some other part of it.

7 on Thursdays, 6 on Saturdays, and 6 (potentially 7) on Sundays.

Three long (3 years, 5 years, and 2 years) ongoing campaigns intermixed with a few nascent or mini campaigns when the GM needs a break.

I'm jealous.   I would love it if I could make a schedule like that work, with me DM'ing one of the campaigns and playing in the other two.
I play at school with my friends. We'll nab a table in the cafeteria when school is over and set our selves up there. Our sessions usually last two hours, because we've still gotta go home and do homework or whatever, even though we meet on Fridays. right now we're doing one long campaign that I hope to wrap up soon.

However, since we are the only D&D club at the school, we have so many people interested in playing. My solution was to have three DMs, each with their own story, and mysterious portals would pop up and teleport players randomly to another story. It was confusing at first, but now it's going a little smoother.   
I fight for freedom. I fight for justice. I fight for honor. I fight for VENGEANCE.Beware, all you monsters, all you villains, for you have unleashed the wrath of Edward Darkforest. May your god have pity on your soul. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDDGJr6LOiw&feature=share Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Wednesday night from 8pm or so to 2am

11 players, 1 DM

We meet in a large apartment.

Currently we are playing out an extended campaign aiming for eventual level 35  

Probably will split group at end of summer to a Monday and a Wednesday group of 5-6 players each.

Sundays, 7 or 8 until midnight or 1am, depending on how early people have work or class on monday. It usually works out to 2 well-planned encounters and a decent amount of dungeon crawling.

Six players and a DM, usually one or two absent or late at least half the sessions. Sometimes one of us might take a break for a few weeks at a time if real life gets too busy.

The rest of the week we roleplay and do a lot of the non-combat non-dungeon stuff in a facebook group, but only about 4 of us post regularly.

The Eberron campaign has been running for over a year now (level 14), and it's the first RPG most of us have played in the last 15 years.

We also drink a lot of beer at each session, which is probably a bad idea most sunday nights.

Game 1: 4 hour sessions, every two weeks, with 6 players average, in one long campaign.
Game 2: 5 hour sessions, approx. monthly, with 6 players average, in one long campaign.
Game 3: 4 hour sessions, 1-2 times a month, with 5 players average, in one long campaign.
Quarterly seems to be the average.

The house we play at has both of our leaders living there, and neither seem all that dedicated to playing.

EDIT:

I hate all of you above me.  So very, very much.

/envy.
Ahh, so THIS is where I can add a sig. Remember: Killing an ancient God inside of a pyramid IS a Special Occasion, and thus, ladies should be dipping into their Special Occasions underwear drawer.
We play twice a month, on saturday. Most of the time bi-weekly.

Our sessions go from 1pm to 11pm so approx. 10 hours, sometimes we can go for 12 hours.

3 regular players and a DM, sometimes a guest appearance from friends wanting to join us for a one-shot and they will play a recurring character, a henchmen, known NPC or even sometimes a vilain.

12 hours is a bit long, sometimes we take an hour break, put the game aside and eat while discussing other things before getting back to the game. 8 hours would be ideal.

We play long campaigns, either based on a tier of play or a level 1-30 campaign (those can take a year). As a DM I enjoy using existing adventures and modify them to fit a greater story-arc.

We play every Friday.

When we were all in college, sessions lasted from 4 PM to 2 or 3 AM. Now that we all have jobs, our sessions go from 5 PM to 11 or 12 PM. So 6 Hours.

We have 6 total people, including the DM. On average we have 5 people show up.

Depends on the day and how much BSing we do. Sometimes it doesn't feel long enough, other nights perfect.

We tend to go in spurts of extended adventures that last a few months, then we change systems or characters.
My main campaign plays every Thursday from 7PM to 11-12 midnight. (4 to 5 hours)

We started with 7 players plus the DM (me!) but over the last year I had some leave, some arrive, and currently we're at 5 players plus DM. 4 of the 5 are original players from the beginning (level 1).

Sessions always feel too short, but then again, we've been known to play full day sessions every now and then and those feel too short too! We can never get enough D&D.

This campaign has been going since level 1 and is currently in mid-epic tier and we're still having just as much fun as when we started. Almost 3 years and still going strong! We're committed to 4e until the campaign finishes, but a few have proposed switching to D&D Next for our next campaign. Time will tell.... Right now 4e is working for us so we're happy.
Every Sunday from 11 to 19 at a pale's place who is also our DM, between 4 and 6 people.

Did a 24 hour session play last sunday, and we plan to make another before the end of the summer.
Every Sunday from 11 to 19 at a pale's place who is also our DM, between 4 and 6 people.

Did a 24 hour session play last sunday, and we plan to make another before the end of the summer.

24 hours of D&D? Holy Pelor that's awesome! I need to do that someday, as long as my friends are up for it. I think we'll need some monster, 5 hour energy, and a boat load of mountain Dew though.
I fight for freedom. I fight for justice. I fight for honor. I fight for VENGEANCE.Beware, all you monsters, all you villains, for you have unleashed the wrath of Edward Darkforest. May your god have pity on your soul. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDDGJr6LOiw&feature=share Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
I'm in a pretty new group of almost all new players (nobody has played consistently for a long period of time and we do have to look up rules a lot).

We play roughly once a month. We have no set schedule, we just try to find a time when everyone is available next. 

4 to 6 hours. 

We have 6 people including the DM. Everyone has shown up except once where we played with just 5 of us. We usually reschedule if someone is unable to make it. 

Some nights we definitely get tired, but I feel not long enough. Most days we play I have a class to go to in the morning so we start around 3 or 4, and another person in the group has to get up early for work so we can't play too late. We also always break for dinner, which I enjoy but that ends up giving us even less play time. 

I'd also like to find a second game to join because I'd love to play more often and have an idea for another character.

It has only been one campaign so far. We were playing 3.5. We've had 5 sessions so far and because we decided to switch to 4e, all of our characters just saved the planet but we fell into/towards the core of the planet. I believe the transition to 4e will either have our character die if we choose to make a new one, or something crazy is going to happen to explain the changes but we are actually staying in the same campaign.
We schedule our games twice a week. The plan was 2 seperate campaigns one of Friday the other Sunday morning. Thus far we've just been doubling up on the one game every week.

Typically I schedule the games for 3 hours each but we tend to run about 4 on average. Our game in played on Roll20 so I've found the online games tend to stay focused a little easier than tabletop and we get more done in less time.

I sort of like the idea of the games going a bit longer, 4 or 5 hours scheduled each, but I realize that scheduling a game over 4 timezones is hard enough without adding more hours into the mix.

Schedule we have 6 players per session. On average only 4 show up (again due to busy lives and scheduling).

Long campaigns, our last game went for about 2 years and this one has been in play for around 5 months.
24 hours of D&D? Holy Pelor that's awesome! I need to do that someday, as long as my friends are up for it. I think we'll need some monster, 5 hour energy, and a boat load of mountain Dew though.

The Monster drinks will make it very hard to play for 24 hours because they have a massive crash effect. Same with any soda. You're better trying regular sport drinks where the energy is semi-nutritious.

Back in the day (high school, Fall 1982 - Spring 1986) we did marathon sessions. There was some reference in a Dragon Magazine to a group "setting a three-day record" and we were intent on breaking it. The closest we ever got was a 36-hour session.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
I had Monster once. Kept me up all night. but it was completely worth the crash XD.
We play every other weekend, start around 1 pm Saturday till 9 pm   Then start again at 11 am till 3 Sunday.  4 of us in total.  And it a blast
We play once a week.

We play from 9pm until midnight, although one of our number typically starts falling asleep well before then.  Its a tradition.

So far each encounter we have played has fitted nicely into this window.

My group consists of 5 players.  Its frequently the case that one player cannot make it.  We play using Skype and Maptool.

We are currently playing H1 The Keep on the Shadowfell
As often as possible, usually on Saturday afternoon and evening.

We usually play from 2PM to midnight when everyone is available, with a dinner break.

The duration of the sessions is about right. Sometimes we do not complete an adventure so we split it on two sessions.

We are 4 to 6 around the table, depending on availability. If one player can't join, we still play. If two can't we usually postpone.

All my adventures are part of a campagin. I always plan things on the long run.

In fact, I write down the summaries of my adventures on a blog. unfortunately for most of people here, it is written in French. There are nice photos taken during the session linked into the summaries text though. Wish I had enough time to translate all the adventures though.

The blog can be found here : jeuxderole.blog4ever.com/blog/index-4282...

Sign In to post comments