Are you still playing 4E knowing next is coming out?

156 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm just curious to see how many people are still playing 4E and why? As soon as I found out that DnD Next was on the way, it sort of let the wind out of my sails for playing 4E as it seems like a dying system that won't have a lot support anymore. I found that I felt like hanging up 4E until Next came out and see how that goes.

I'm not sure how to explain this in any other way. Does anyone else feel this way? What did you do about it?

Thanks and game on!
I'm just curious to see how many people are still playing 4E and why? As soon as I found out that DnD Next was on the way, it sort of let the wind out of my sails for playing 4E as it seems like a dying system that won't have a lot support anymore. I found that I felt like hanging up 4E until Next came out and see how that goes.

I'm not sure how to explain this in any other way. Does anyone else feel this way? What did you do about it?

Thanks and game on!

I too had the initial feel of despair when D&D next was announced. But I've already decided D&D Next isn't going to be that big of a deal to me. I've got 2 perfectly fine systems with people willing to play them, 3.5 and 4e.  Unlike video games D&D is a game were you don't necessarily have to upgrade to the next system to get next gen results.

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

I'm still playing, and I will continue to.  The rest of my group likes 4e also.  I've seen the Next playtest and have no interest in it.  I've got enough 4e stuff to keep playing forever.  I plan to cancel my DDI sub if/when they drop support for 4e.  They won't get anymore of my money after that. 

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

im still playing, dming, and writing 4e material, and i dont see myself stopping anytime soon. i also play classic editions (pre 3rd)
I'm still playing and i think i'll stick with 4E

I concur.  I see little, to nothing, in 5th that appeals to me.
Still playing 4th, though my 4e games have become very combat/tactical oriented delves, with very little roleplay. In no way am I on the "you can't roleplay in 4e" bandwagon, however.
Just started a new campaign. Based on what I've seen of DnDNext, I would probably switch to Pathfinder before switching to DnDNext.
I definitely plan on continuing with 4e as long as it's still interesting to me and my players.
Trying to have my new campaign involve much more group storytelling and roleplaying for the players.  
My group is still playing 4E. We took a break from our current campaign to try out the 5E playtest for a few sessions, found it wasn't very exciting, and promptly resumed our 4E campaign. When further Next materials come out, we might take another look at them, but for now, we are very happy playing 4E.
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
we're just getting into the meat of our Epic tier story arc (24th tonight or bust!) in our current campaign, and our DM already asked us to start working on character backgrounds for our next run at 4E.

Besides the upcoming campaign, we should also see a handful of one-shots, a high paragon/low epic mini campaign and at least 2 more Lair Assaults to give our DM a chance to play and cover vacations.  We should be pretty busy for a while, even before fitting in some D&DNext playtesting and romps through other game systems   

INSIDE SCOOP, GAMERS: In the new version of D&D, it will no longer be "Edition Wars." It will be "Edition Lair Assault." - dungeonbastard

Yes, I am still running 4E.

The system is not dying; it will be around as long as the books exist.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />The lack of support actually won't bother me because, frankly, we didn't get much during the life of 4E. DDi has been a big joke - except the joke is on those of us who keep paying for it - and Dungeon and Dragon are both shadows of their former selves.

Also, Next looks like some sort of homebrewed fantasy heartbreaker posted on the forums at RPG.net or ENWorld.org. They're welcome to keep it. I've got my 4E rules, 3.xE adventure paths and ideas, 2E settings and 1E adventures - Next will never beat that combination!
Cheers Imruphel aka Scrivener of Doom
I'm sticking with 4e for the forseeable future. From everything I've seen of 5e, it just plain isn't for me. It's supposed to "feel like D&D again", but it turns out I don't actually like "D&D", I just like 4e. Most of the things they're bringing back to 5e from earlier editions are the things that stopped me from ever really getting into D&D back then, so why would I drop the game I actually like to go back to that?

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

I still play 4e, because the announcement of 5e did not make me suddenly stop liking 4e.
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.

Thanks and game on!

I still play 4e because DDN isn't released yet. Even when DDN is released, there is a strong chance that I won't like it as much as 4e (or my homebrew version that I'm working on). And even if I do like it, it won't immediately have all the options I want (my current campaign is a modern one using the Ultramodern4 rules from Dias Ex Machina).

I don't care if 4e doesn't receive official support. I stopped paying attention to the official products some time ago. It would be nice, but a lack of it won't stop me from playing. I already have more material than I will get through any time soon and I can (and will) homebrew more.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
I'm just curious to see how many people are still playing 4E and why?

I am still playing 4e.

I will continue playing 4e until they release a version of D&D that I like. Next is not looking like it will be that edition.

Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Our group still plans to continue with 4e.  As I have mentioned elsewhere, don't plan to continue DDI once it closes the door to 4e.

Once the completed 5e game comes out we may change, but right now everyone wants to stay with 4e.  I like the system still write adventures for it and enjoy running it.  
Honestly, support for 4e died like a year or more ago, its just been on "life support" when it comes to support.

It is however, a great time for homebrew, as the system is now reasonably set in stone, and if you've been playing since launch, you have a fairly good idea how balance works amongst your players. Essentials also provides a nice framework for balancing custom content.

D&D Next just doesn't look exciting. It looks like it does stuff the older editions did. If I wanted to play that way, I could just get one of those. The "Combat Surperiority" dice pool thing of the fighter looks kind of interesting, but everything else seems more of the same.      

I also agree with duskweaver, all these "must be D&D!" isms are really turning me off.  What makes it D&D in Mearls' eyes are not what makes it D&D in my eyes. And whether or not he's right or wrong is irrelevant, because in the end i want a game that i find fun. And being D&D is less important than being fun.

Also as someone who defended 4e for years before essentials, Mearls siding with the "4e is an mmo" crowd despite admitting he wasn't sure it was meant to be, just makes me never want to support his endeavors.
     There are a lot of people who do drop out when a new edition is coming up soon.  It is much like a death sentence.  You will never reach 30th level now.  [In fact, I am unlikely to reach 20th.]
    However, there are differences this time.  An important one is that there is a much longer time until 5e comes online.  You have a lot of time when there really isn't much to do but play 4e.  Add in that 5e is not shaping up as appealing to many 4e players.  So why rush the process?
     But a lot of us play what there is a game of.  4e may be much superior, but if we can't play it...  And there are games of something else... 
Still playing 4e, and unless Next changes A LOT from its current state of abject failure, I will continue playing 4e.
Actually, I'm probably going to be starting up my first game soon.  I ran 4E for a few sessions when it first came out and didn't like it (I'm an old 1E/2E grognard and it just didn't feel like D&D to me), but I was also pretty burned out on D&D at the time.  I had stopped playing D&D just around the time that 3.5 came out and, except for the brief run of 4E, haven't played it since, until the 5E playtest came out.  I really liked the playtest, and it's given me a hankering for some D&D again, but 5E isn't in a state where I can start a campaign yet and probably won't be for a while.  And reading the 5E forums with all the input from 4E players made me interested to look at it again.  So I've picked up the Eseentials books, am liking what I'm reading so far, and have already floated starting up a campaign with my group.  The response has been tepid, but not hostile, so we'll take a few sessions and see how it goes.

Not only are we still playing 4E here (the main group I play in is at 16th level so we still have a ways to go before its done), I've also just started playing in a new campaign (3rd level currently).

Truthfully, I don't know of anyone personally who's going to be switching to Next when it comes out (a few looked at 13th Age, but the general consensus here is that Next is going to be the first WotC official "fantasy heartbreaker") so at least around the places I'm frequenting 4E is going to be the mainstay for the foreseeable future.
My reasons for sticking with 4e, in convenient list format:

1. The support has all already been released - No dealing with "I want to play a Shardmind Psion, but it hasn't been released yet." My group likes obscure stuff, and a new edition will probably be pretty vanilla for quite a while.

2. I've already bought 4e stuff - Like I'm just gonna drop all that and start over.

3. I don't like the Next playtest, or at least what I've seen of it - 'Nuff said.

Funny, I thought the whole point of Next was to get all the people who play 3.x, all the 4e players, and even the AD&D and 2e guys, and give them all an edition to share. One that everyone would play. It doesn't seem to be working very well, since I've seen exactly 0 players saying, "I'm so exicited for 5e!"
We are playing and will likely stick to 4E.

This is not M:TG and the same model will not work here. Just dropping random new stuff on the table from time to time does not a good system make. My current group is excellent, very knowledable and able to swing the system as we need it.

There is an absolute plethora of stuff out there and excellent blogs like Frothsofs! We are in no need of the switch.

I concur.  I see little, to nothing, in 5th that appeals to me.

I, too, concur.
I have been experiencing similar stories here in Brazil.

I'm actually having to work harder to get my players to be interested in the playtest. I have two groups, one made up of younger people, some who have never played RPGs or D&D before our 4e campaign. The other group is made of D&D veterans who have played since 1st edition. Both are disinterested in D&D Next.

I managed to get the first one to try the playtest, but their reaction to it weren't good. We played a few sessions, and while I and the others found we did like some aspects of it, the general opinion is that it wasn't as good as 4e for us. I would like to keep pushing for playtest Next in a regular basis, but theses guys preferred to spend more time in 4th, at least until a new playtest package arrives - which has been taking forever :P.

The second group is a group of busy adults, we only play once a week and for them, it is imperative that this time is well spent (since if the experience is bad, this mean a "lost week"). Based on what they had seen of D&D Next, they didn't want to sacrifice precious "game time" to try it. They'll probably be more willing to give it a spin when the game is complete, but for now, we have begun a new Dark Sun 4e campaign and we'll be stickying to that for the foreseeable future.

So no, my groups are continuing to play 4th edition, and seem intent on continuing to do so. I'm ansious for the next playtest package that is to be released, perhaps it'll breath some more interest in the new game. However, even if all I've heard of the new package is true, it still seem very shallow to players with 4e tastes :P.
Are you threatening me master jedi? Dungeons & Dragons 4e Classic - The Dark Edition
Still playing 4e and with Amethyst and Ultramodern4 for additional rules i have enough to last for the foreseeable future.

Play whatever the **** you want. Never Point a loaded party at a plot you are not willing to shoot. Arcane Rhetoric. My Blog.

I and my group (all playing for 30 yrs+) are open to what 5e might be, but are fully happy stickingwith 4e for a looong time. We have so many campaign and character arcs we want to play, and for the most part, really like the 4e rules-set.
I and my players are still going strong with 4e. I've done some 5e/Next playtesting and...well...it's okay. I may switch, depending on whether or not it has everything I like about 4e only more. If it goes backwards to any signficant degree, forget it. I will definitely finish out all my 4e campaigns with the 4e rules-set at the very least. 
Still playing/DMing 4e, and will likely do so for at least 2 more years. I've got campaigns to run!
its not like its impossible to play both 5e and 4e. 5e coming out is not a reason to quit playing 5e, it really isnt. one cant use the 'theres no game near me' excuse bc i cordially invite anyone to join us at gto (see my sig). the only reason to quit is if you dont really like it, which if thats the case, more power to you, but please quit with the melodramatic threads
Tried 4e and was not too much of a fan, a bit more exited about Next if WotC does a decent job and supports and expands it for 5-10 years.  Am speaking for a group of 12 long-time players here.  We want some assurance of being able to keep playing an active, supported game in order to invest the time and money that new D&D editions require.

My group is sticking with 3.5 and Pathfinder for the moment.  We will probably wait to play Next (other than the playtest) until a dozen or so books are out.
a bit more exited about Next if WotC does a decent job and supports and expands it for 5-10 years.  

Which they won't. You know they won't it will have the same lifespan of 3.5 and 4e. Short and sweet. WotC is a company, they have to make money, so when sales get low, they make something new, and trust me, sales will get low. And by no means will they do good. They've got a major butthurt community that hates pretty much everyone that doesn't play "said edition". The "butthurt faction" is mainly made of 3.5 purists, and Pathfinder enthusiasts , no offense, but but lets these players do tend to get that cocky attitude, and its just a bash fest when they do, they refuse to see flaws of their game and continue to bash another's game. I also predict that they will never succeed with the lies they've fed us. Sure the initial shock will be huge when its released, fans will be busting at the seams with joy, but it will fade. And lets face it no 1e player is gonna wanna play with a d20 rules lawyer. And most newer players won't want to be stuck in the mindset of the 1980's TSR era. The rules of each edition are so different (Except with 1e and 2e), they will never, and I mean never please everyone like they think they will. Finding games for this system will be many times harder than any other, with such modular rules comes many different game styles, and lets face it, not everyone will want to play in a game where peoples rules can vary so wildly. The 4e fan boat has set sail for 5e, but suddenly they've realized what they've done. This so called "promised land" that is 5e, is really not as promised as they thought. I hope 5e is a good game, truly I do, I wanna play it when it comes out too, and I will. But people jumping gun so fast and being all gung-ho about it is stupid. I hope this wait for 5e brings something to you, a form of Déjà vu if you will. People where so interested into 4e and were so happy and excited, but look what happened many people didn't like it, they felt it wasn't D&D, and while this may have the old school feel, what makes this anymore D&D than 4e or 3.5. If you remember, many people called WotC out for their lies about upcoming products, empty promises, and their complete crap form of advertising 4e (making fun of previous editions isn't a good thing to do). Basically what I'm saying is don't get too excited, you'll just be crushed. 

I and my group (all playing for 30 yrs+) are open to what 5e might be, but are fully happy stickingwith 4e for a looong time. We have so many campaign and character arcs we want to play, and for the most part, really like the 4e rules-set.

Same here, not the 30+ years, but I am open to change, but if its not my cup of tea I got 4e, and If I ever need a break from 4e, I'll play some 3.5.

its not like its impossible to play both 5e and 4e. 5e coming out is not a reason to quit playing 5e, it really isnt. one cant use the 'theres no game near me' excuse bc i cordially invite anyone to join us at gto (see my sig). the only reason to quit is if you dont really like it, which if thats the case, more power to you, but please quit with the melodramatic threads

Not being melodramatic at all. We tried the Next playtest and we all agreed that it sucked in that special 'old-skool' way that we never wanted to go back to. Nothing that we've heard from the devs since is encouraging and no one's keen on dropping hundreds of dollars on a new system when, between us, we have every published 4E book, adventure, boxed set and all the dungeon/dragon modules downloaded.

One of my friends still has a list of twenty different 4E specific character concepts that he wants to try so he's in no hurry to move on.

This is not to say that we find 4E perfect, but its a fun and solid system and we're tinkering with the parts we don't like to make them better fit our playstyle... and that's always easier to do with completed rulesets. We're currently using a more flexible encounter-based resource system (we don't need to track things between sessions), every character starting with four trained skills (no short-changing the fighter) and no class skills (anyone can choose any skill).
I actually stopped playing 4e for the time being, mainly because my friends and I wanted to play a oWoD game of Hunter the Reckoning (ok, me more than them).  After that I might run a pathfinder game, followed by an original Mayfair Games DC Heroes campaign.  

We enjoy gaming and don't stick to just one system.  No system will ever be perfect.

The only reaons I might not pick up 5e at this point is

A.) it doesn't feel different enough from previous editions
B.) it doesn't have a PDF version for me to buy

Welcome to ZomboniLand - My D&D Blog http://zomboniland.blogspot.com/

Thanks and game on!

What else would we be playing? The only currently available edition of D&D is 4e... I could run older editions, or PF, or some OSR game, but I can't see any reason why someone would suddenly switch to those from 4e just because there will be a 5e released in a year or two.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
Still playing 4e and with Amethyst and Ultramodern4 for additional rules i have enough to last for the foreseeable future.

You maye have just added the right twist to my next campaign.
I'm still playing, and I will continue to.  The rest of my group likes 4e also.  I've seen the Next playtest and have no interest in it.  I've got enough 4e stuff to keep playing forever.  I plan to cancel my DDI sub if/when they drop support for 4e.  They won't get anymore of my money after that. 

This sums up my feelings pretty accurately.    I have no interest in ANY version of D&D if it doesn't have a 4 in front of it.   I've stuck with 1.e and 2.e for twenty years, by-passing 3.e altogether.   I stubbornly switched over to 4e in 2009, and I'm never switching again.
Lately I find a lot of fun in tinkering with the common ground of 4e's system to build my own content as mentioned in previous posts. My players seem to be having fun with it still, and we're still trying out a variety of things with the system, so I doubt we'll ever get too bored of it just because 5e will come out. Strip away all the pretty numbers and whatnot and its all the same game of pretend anyways...

From what I've seen and read of 5e, trying it before it becomes an actual game and not an in-development mess is non option, so 4e does what it needs to for now
how many people are still playing 4E

- I will keep playing 4e until 5e comes out.
- The inevidability of a new edition (which was assured anyways) doesn't change anything in the current edition.
- 4e is too cumbersome at higher levels (almost unplayable imho), so I am definitely looking forward to 5e.
- I preferred 3.5, but my players enjoyed 4e more.

Thanks and game on!

I fail to see why the announcement of a future edition would make anyone stop playing the current one. Heck, we still play OVA and it has never had any support and the OVA Revised has been promised for years with little hope of releasing anytime soon. Why should that lack of support make us not play? Look also at how many people still play BESM or Tri-Stat even though Guardians of Order died years ago. 

We currently have more books for GURPS 3e than any other game, yet our group's go-to game is GURPS 4e. My HackMaster 4e game didn't die when 5e released. We actually converted the characters to the new system and have kept on going. In both of those cases, I like the new editions so much that I will no longer GM the old ones, but I'll happily play if someone else wants to run them.

It's the same with D&D. 4e is the first edition I've actually liked well enough to play non-grudgingly. (3.x is the only roleplaying system I've come across that I refuse to play. Pre-3e I will only play with one particular GM: he's been GMing for more than the 36 years I've been alive so he is really good at it, and we're so close that his eldest granddaughter is also our goddaughter). So we will continue playing it at least until 5e releases, and probably after.

I assume that Encounters or its equivalent will use 5e, and I won't mind since I've liked what I've seen of it so far, but the two guys running home games feel no compulsion to switch. In fact, one of them, the one who originally introduced us to D&D 4e, feels as strongly about it as we do about GURPS, and is completely unimpressed with what we've seen of DDN so far, so I will be surprised indeed if he converts his game.

I'm sticking with 4e for the forseeable future. From everything I've seen of 5e, it just plain isn't for me. It's supposed to "feel like D&D again", but it turns out I don't actually like "D&D", I just like 4e. Most of the things they're bringing back to 5e from earlier editions are the things that stopped me from ever really getting into D&D back then, so why would I drop the game I actually like to go back to that?

As mentioned, one of our guys feels exactly the same way and will likely continue to run D&D 4e until the day he dies, unless something else happens to come along that he likes better. We feel the same way about GURPS 4e: it is very nearly the perfect system for us, so we'll be sticking with it until something better comes along (hopefully the game I'm designing will fit that bill).

As to not liking D&D but liking 4e, I agree completely. As I mentiond above, I loathe 3.x, and will only play older editions because the GM is so awesome that he makes me forget that I don't like the systems. My wife is the same way, but I think her loathing of 3.x is a bit less. But 4e has so impressed us that I run Encounters and she runs Lair Assault. Another of our players feels as we do about previous editions, but he used to run Encounters and still runs a home game using the system; previously he only used HackMaster 4e (essentially D&D 2.5, but replacing the bits we didn't like about the game).

About.me

Drive like you love your children

Through faith you have been saved by grace and not by works. -Ep 2:8-9

Grammar Made Easy – now there's no excuse for sounding like an idiot online.
Games From the Mind of fewilcox – my blog about writing; games, including, character sheets and other roleplaying accessories; and game design.