Planewalker timing

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello,

I went back and re-read the WOTC article on planewalkers. I couldn't find the answer my question. I think I know the answer to that question but there's a small enough doubt in my mind that I need to find out for sure. 

Anyway, here are 2 similar situations. On my turn during my main phase I use one of my planeswalker's abilities and my opponent responds by destroying my planeswalker. The other situation is, basically, the other side of the coin. On my turn during my main phase my opponent destroys my planeswalker and I respond by using its ability. I say that in both cases the planeswalker's ability happens (I do know that if my opponent destroys my planeswalker during my Upkeep I am out of luck because I can't play sorceries during that phase).

Am I correct?

TIA,
kk 
The 2nd case is impossible. Planeswalker abilities can only be used when you could cast a sorcery, so you cannot use it in response to a spell.

As for the 1st case, you're correct. Once an ability has been activated or triggered, it exists independently of its source. Destroying your planeswalker will not counter your planeswalker's ability, and the ability will go off as normal.
The 2nd case is impossible. Planeswalker abilities can only be used when you could cast a sorcery, so you cannot use it in response to a spell.

This is true, but they cannot just cast a spell during your phase. During your main phase you have priority until you pass it.

This is true, but they cannot just cast a spell during your phase. During your main phase you have priority until you pass it.

That doesn't change the fact that KoolKing's second scenario isn't possible. If the opponent jumps the gun and plays some destruction effect and you say "hold on, I get priority first, so before you do that, I play this ability", you're in KoolKing's first scenario, not his second one.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011

That doesn't change the fact that KoolKing's second scenario isn't possible. If the opponent jumps the gun and plays some destruction effect and you say "hold on, I get priority first, so before you do that, I play this ability", you're in KoolKing's first scenario, not his second one.

So just to clarify, the second you're done untapping your main phase begins. No one can cast a spell until you do something?

Had a similar event happen earlier. 

So just to clarify, the second you're done untapping your main phase begins. No one can cast a spell until you do something?

Not quite.  There are three steps before the main phase: untap, upkeep, draw.  The main phase doesn't begin until all three of those are done.  Each player will get priority in the upkeep and draw steps before the main phase starts.

No. Your turn goes Untap Step, Upkeep Step, Draw Step, and then your main phase. Your opponent will always get the opportunity to cast spells during either/both the Upkeep and/or Draw steps before the game moves on to your main phase.

In any given step or phase of your turn, you will always be the first player with a chance to do things once it starts or once anything resolves, and nobody else can jump the gun on you. But you can't move on to the next part of your turn without giving them a chance.

I'd recommend checking out this FAQ post for more information.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

No. Any time a phase or step begins (or after a spell or ability resolves), the active player has priority first. Only the active player can cast spells or activate abilities at this time. He has to pass priority in order for an opponent to do anything. This means that as soon as you cast a planeswalker, you can use one of its abilities immediately, and your opponent can't do anything about it.

The turn structure is Untap, Upkeep, Draw, Main 1, (Combat's many steps), Main 2, End, Cleanup.

Players don't get priority during the untap step, and rarely during the cleanup step. They get priority during every other step/phase. 

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

Okay. That's what I thought. Got into an arguement about that and just needed to make sure I didn't have to apologize
Yeah, nearly any scenario where an opponent is trying to destroy a Planeswalker of yours on your main phase is one where either you just played it and this is the first chance they're getting to do so, or they've made a mistake in not doing it sooner.
Yeah, nearly any scenario where an opponent is trying to destroy a Planeswalker of yours on your main phase is one where either you just played it and this is the first chance they're getting to do so, or they've made a mistake in not doing it sooner.

...or you made a mistake and cast/activating something else before using your planeswalker.

...or you made a mistake and cast/activating something else before using your planeswalker.

That might be true in addition, but the scenario still pretty much requires at least one of the two things I said to be true as well.
1) AP casts a Big Baddie.
2) NAP casts Lightning Bolt targetting planeswalker in response to Llanowar Elves.

The AP lost his chance to activate his Planeswalker, yet

A) The planeswalker didn't enter the battlefield this turn.
B) NAP did not want to do so until seeing Big Baddie cast, so NAP did not make a mistake.

Sign In to post comments