Duels 2013 Update for Steam & iPad

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi everyone,

I have three exciting bits of information for you. First off, as many of you have seen, an expansion has been officially announced for Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013! The expansion will include five additional (playable) decks corresponding to the five guilds in Return to Ravnica, plus new challenges and campaign levels to enjoy. The full announcement can be found HERE.

Second piece of news: new updates are now available for Duels 2013 on both iPad and Steam. This version includes performance tuning that should improve app stability, graphics display, audio playback, framerate, and multiplayer connectivity for many players. Miscellaneous AI, game play, and user interface improvements have also been made.

For iPad, detailed messages have been added to explain how save data interacts with Game Center and what additional content is contained in the Premium Content Pack in-app purchase.

The update also includes changes to the way some things work:
Yeva, Nature's Herald now has 4 toughness.
Firewing Phoenix now has 2 toughness.
• When the AI has many creatures it is no longer able to avoid blocking Taunting Elf.
• Enchanting a creature with Mind Control correctly applies “summoning sickness.”
• The “Say Your Praetors” Challenge now correctly records which of the five possible solutions have been used.
• [EDIT]: The exploit allowing multiple creatures to attack/block when Silent Arbiter is on the battlefield has been removed.

Steam accounts should update automatically while logged in (unless you’ve changed your settings), and the iPad update is available via the App Store.

For many of you, all this news probably leaves you with one question: “When will Xbox and PS3 get this update?” The answer is that both of these respective updates will become available on those systems when the expansion releases later this Summer. The exact date has yet to be announced, but keep your eyes open.

Third piece of news: I have an update on the planned change to Serra Ascendant. That change, which will balance the card in two-headed giant, is still coming and has been confirmed for the game update that will come with expansion later this summer. The card’s text will be changed from requiring 30 life to the following:

Lifelink
As long as you have at least 10 life more than your starting life total, Serra Ascendant gets +5/+5 and has flying.

It is important to note that the change to Serra Ascendant only affects Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013. The change to the card does not affect paper Magic.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Third piece of news: I have an update on the planned change to Serra Ascendant. That change, which will balance the card in two-headed giant, is still coming and has been confirmed for the game update that will come with expansion later this summer. The card’s text will be changed from requiring 30 life to the following:

Lifelink
As long as you have at least 10 life more than your starting life total, Serra Ascendant gets +5/+5 and has flying.

O.o

Amusing because that's the exact text change I told people to expect, word for word.

I see no mention of the Silent Arbiter exploit being fixed. Any idea on its status? It kind of vastly changes the viability of a control version of Exalted Darkness when playing with dishonest players. 

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Amusing because that's the exact text change I told people to expect, word for word.

I see no mention of the Silent Arbiter exploit being fixed. Any idea on its status? It kind of vastly changes the viability of a control version of Exalted Darkness when playing with dishonest players. 

what exploit is that?  i don't think i've seen it yet.  

as for serra ascendant, they should remove it rather than make an exception with a 10 life advantage over an opponent.  seems unfair if i'm beating you down and all of a sudden the card becomes a 6/6

as for serra ascendant, they should remove it rather than make an exception with a 10 life advantage over an opponent.  seems unfair if i'm beating you down and all of a sudden the card becomes a 6/6

The exploit is known and I've passed the info on to the Duels design team, but unfortunately it's not in this update. The details on it were reported to rob's bug thread if you'd like to learn more about it, Balisalisa.

Sean Gibbons

The exploit is known and I've passed the info on to the Duels design team, but unfortunately it's not in this update. The details on it were reported to rob's bug thread if you'd like to learn more about it, Balisalisa.

yeah i just saw it...thanks.  and i read your serra ascendant update again, and that makes more sense...so 2HG games need the life total to be 40 to get the bonus.  nice!

kinda stinks that ps3 and xbox has to wait over a month to get this update.  Cant figure why computer would get it and not us.
Answered that in Chandra thread but probably better here: consoles use different hardware/software, patching them is not the same as doing it for PC/i-whatevers. Frankly, you're lucky. My generation of console gamers couldn't even GET patches. If we had a bug (and we always had some), we were stuck with it forever.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

i think we come from the same generation of consoles then, or at least close.  I used to own an atari.
kinda stinks that ps3 and xbox has to wait over a month to get this update.  Cant figure why computer would get it and not us.

it was a problem for d12 where it would cost a lot of money to make patches available for xbox and ps3, but from what i read it was more for xbox.  from what i read before it is like $50k to patch on xbox

i'll quote myself from the other thread:
thanks spoony.  Cant believe  we have to mait over a month to get this stuff fixed.  Guess they dont care about console owners very much... makes me sad.

i think the reason is certification process and other BS devs have to deal with on consoles thanks to Sony and microsoft.
dont blame developers, it isnt their fault and its not in their interest to screw you over 

Do they have an option to disable AI takeovers on concessions now?
Just a little FYI for steam users. If you ignored that "there is a steam client update" a few days ago, it probably won't download the update for the game (at least it didn't for me). Have it check for client updates, then it should grab the game.
Can't believe Serra Ascendant is getting fixed in 2HG! The community has been heard! This is just the tip of the iceberg Cool
Thanks a bunch for the update!  I haven't noticed much different, which must mean it's working great!
What the heck size is this update? My iPad has 2.4 GB of free space, and the app store is still giving me the "not enough available local storage" error when I try to update it. The currently installed app only uses 1.0 GB.

I don't think you understand the change. Serra Ascendent now only becomes a 6/6 in 2HG when you're at 40 or more life. This doesn't affect other modes. If you're beating Ajani down then his card never becomes a 6/6. It now works in a fair manner, same as in 1v1.
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
Getting a lot more "Your request to join is pending" errors since the patch. Which then makes the game list show up empty until you restart, and every time I restart I have to validate cache. Getting irritating.

After double checking with the team (and trying it out for myself), it looks like the Silent Arbiter exploit was fixed in the update. You can no longer wait out the combat timer to attack/block with multiple creatures. Sorry for the confusion!

Sean Gibbons

I guess the rule next time is more complete patch notes. :op

I'm glad that so many bugs and glitches were fixed, but I'm curious to know what exact "miscellaneous A.I. improvements" have been made.

Particularly because ever since the patch, I've been losing far more consistently to the A.I. in Custom Game (on Archmage difficulty), whereas before the patch, I was winning at least 60% of the time (on the same difficulty & with the same decks). In 7 Archmage difficulty matches against the A.I. (facing Liliana's deck), I lost 7; regardless of how good or bad my hand was, how fast or slow the me or the A.I. started.

While I understand that Liliana's deck has a bountiful suite of kill-spells, the consistency of when she has/gets them has become absurd. Yes, it is the ideal defense strategy of the deck to have an answer for every creature played as soon as it's been cast, but in reality, how often will you actually have or draw those kill-spells exactly when needed?

Certainly not 100% of the time (unless you're cheating, or your deck is grossly overflowing with kill-spells).

Come to think of it, I don't even remember Planeswalker difficulty, before the patch, being THIS consistent in cheating its draws.

I like Duels, but I don't want to be stuck playing on Mage difficulty to play an A.I. that isn't cheating over half the time (in my single-player excursions).
Being fair, Liliana's deck is very probably the best overall Revenge deck; hers is even better than the player unlockable version, especially in its most powerful cards, like Tendrils. The goblin deck may have a quicker kill, but Liliana has an answer to pretty close to everything. You might try the Exalted Darkness deck; she has no answer for Whispersilk Cloak (aside from Mutilate, which she has only one or two copies of) so long as you have at least one other creature to sacrifice to Innocent Blood. Play a speedy aggressive version, nothing over 5 mana, but play as many Deathbringer Liege as you can - helps bring things out of Infest range.

Or just go Gobbos and try and destroy her before she even gets Mutilate mana. 

i'll quote myself from the other thread:
thanks spoony.  Cant believe  we have to mait over a month to get this stuff fixed.  Guess they dont care about console owners very much... makes me sad.

i think the reason is certification process and other BS devs have to deal with on consoles thanks to Sony and microsoft.
dont blame developers, it isnt their fault and its not in their interest to screw you over 

Thanks to Sony and Microsoft?  So it's wrong of them to want the developers to get it right the first time?  Personally I see nothing wrong with that expectation.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Being fair, Liliana's deck is very probably the best overall Revenge deck; hers is even better than the player unlockable version, especially in its most powerful cards, like Tendrils. The goblin deck may have a quicker kill, but Liliana has an answer to pretty close to everything. You might try the Exalted Darkness deck; she has no answer for Whispersilk Cloak (aside from Mutilate, which she has only one or two copies of) so long as you have at least one other creature to sacrifice to Innocent Blood. Play a speedy aggressive version, nothing over 5 mana, but play as many Deathbringer Liege as you can - helps bring things out of Infest range.

Or just go Gobbos and try and destroy her before she even gets Mutilate mana. 

I'm not playing the Revenge Campaign, I'm playing Custom Game, where the A.I. uses the default deck lists (on Archmage).

I know the Revenge decks cheat their draws, as well as deck lists. I wouldn't be too surprised if I lost that many times in Revenge, but again, I'm playing Custom Game.
*Shrugs.* Well then I guess you're either using a creature-based deck against a deck full of creature kill, still unlocking cards, or making grievous errors. Non-Revenge Liliana isn't all that big a deal for a deck with half or more of its unlocks (some even sooner.) 

*Shrugs.* Well then I guess you're either using a creature-based deck against a deck full of creature kill, still unlocking cards, or making grievous errors. Non-Revenge Liliana isn't all that big a deal for a deck with half or more of its unlocks (some even sooner.) 

I realize non-Revenge Liliana shouldn't be a big deal for an at-least half-unlocked deck, which is why the lose rate I've been experiencing is just downright frustrating, baffling & absurd.

I was using Jace's deck (fully unlocked w/ promos), and making (at the very least) decent/good plays with the cards I was dealt. Every single time (after the patch), I would either get face-rolled completely, come down to a close match then lose, or start strong, look like I'm winning, but then lose all momentum because of the A.I.'s all-too-perfectly-timed kill-spells.

Even if I am playing a creature-based deck, there shouldn't be a 100% lose-rate with perfectly timed kill-spells for every single semi-threatening creature as soon as I cast it. 

Thanks to Sony and Microsoft?  So it's wrong of them to want the developers to get it right the first time?  Personally I see nothing wrong with that expectation.

Have you heard of Valve and Blizzard? Do you know how many quick fixes and patches they release for their games? Those that are the best in the industry most people would say.

No way to make a game without bugs, if you are not aiming for simple. 

What you point out only would lead to simpler games due to fear of not being able to support it freely. And looking at the sector for the last five years, it is not wrong to say that's probably how things turned out. 

@hydramarine, while I agree with your conclusion, I'm compelled to question your choice of Blizzard as an example of one of "the best in the industry."  Perhaps you're referring to pre-Activision Blizzard? 
Indeed. Post-WOW Blizzard hasn't done enough single players games to keep me interested in the last 8 years I am afraid. And the ones they made dont live up to the ones in the past, or we simply just grew up to know better. Still not sure. That's why I included them.
It is impossible to expect a company to produce a bug less game because they will never have enough funding to test every single possibility on every single system (especially on the PC!) in every language. Making developers pay for patches just hurts those on the consoles, just look at the support TF2 got on the PC versus consoles.
Will the upcoming PS3/Xbox update contain any changes to the static hubs/avatars displayed during matches? I play on a plasma TV and image retention is a big nuisance with this game.

Reducing the contrast of the outline that surrounds the lifebars and avatars would help as those are what causes the image retention. One thing that could also help would be to add a setting that can adjust how opaque the static hubs/avatars are. Some other games have this setting and it's very useful for plasma owners.

Have you heard of Valve and Blizzard? Do you know how many quick fixes and patches they release for their games? Those that are the best in the industry most people would say.

No way to make a game without bugs, if you are not aiming for simple. 

What you point out only would lead to simpler games due to fear of not being able to support it freely. And looking at the sector for the last five years, it is not wrong to say that's probably how things turned out. 

Nowhere did I say it's possible to make a game without bugs.  I said there's nothing wrong with the expectation and there's nothing wrong with the amount of money Microsoft is charging for patches beyond the first to support that expectation.  Obviously it's impossible to make a video game without bugs.  I'm sure games would be released with even more bugs/glitches than they have now without the quality standards Sony/Microsoft have in place. 

Please note that I'm speaking in a general sense and in regards to the industry as a whole, not Duels in particular.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
And where does one get that expansion?
Is there any chance we could get more detailed patch notes? I'd like to hear what was done to improve multiplayer connectivity, because the first thing I got when trying to find a match was the "No games found" error.
Man, I am soo late to this.
Sean, thank you.

I have seen more change with you on here than the entire existence of this forum itself "09". Crazy reality check when the acknowledgement of such things kick in.