To Whom it May Concern at Wizards of the Coast and Hasbro: We Want a Drizzt Movie/HBO Series

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
There's been much discussion of Drizzt movies over the years. However with HBO's Game of Thrones series doing so well, an HBO series looks like it could possibly be an even better way to show Drizzt and company on-screen! Now of course it would need to be of similar calibre to Game of Thrones (or the Lord of the Rings trilogy in the case of a movie) to do R.A. Salvatore's characters justice.

We would love to hear why or why not a movie or tv series would work! 

Sincerely,
Drizzt Fans
-------------------------------------- 

And of course this is a forum so up for discussion on the ideas! 
I would also love to see this happen. I am quite sure that if there were to be some sort of forum opened for Drizzt fans to express their desire for this kind of idea it would get a lot of attention. Some of the interest which could be expressed will be stifled by the registration process to post on the WoTC forums. But I do know a lot of interest exists. R.A Salvotore has done posts on Reddit.com where fans could ask him questions, and they have always been met with lots of interest. And what better way to expand the market than a movie / Television show? 

It would be an amazing venture for R.A Salvatore, Wizards of The Coast, fans, and of course Drizzt

Thank you,

Fans 
True, I didn't consider the fact that people wouldn't register to post.

If any WotC people read this, is there a better way to let the right people at Hasbro/Wizards know there's interest? (Or do you folks already know) 
Then you only will have the fans of the many other well-liked FR novel heroes (e.g. Erevis Cale) complaining.
Game of Thrones is much, much more low magic than FR though. And a story using the Underdark would require pretty expensive sets if it was going to look good.

I would love to see this done right, as Homeland was one of my favorite fantasy novels growing up, but I'm not sure TV could have the budget.

I think film could work though - I think with the right cast it could be a major hit. It's one of the best selling fantasy series, so it has a market.
R.A. Salvatore has stated he's ambivalent to the idea of a movie because of something the son of Tolkein told him. After the LotR movies were made, what do you think people see in their mind's eye when they hear the word Gandalf? What do they hear when Frodo speaks? What image do they conjure in their heads when they think of Rohan, or Gondor? Making movies changes how people perceive the literature it was based off of. When two people think of Drizz't, they do not conjure the same image, the same facial features, the same voice or anything. They see their interpretations of Salvatore's words. If they made a movie, then those uniquely individual perceptions would be shattered in favor of what ever the movie creates/casts.

That isn't a bad thing, necessarily, just something to think about.
Definitely a good point, it does ruin some of the magical bookly quality...

Recently he seems to be more in favour of the idea than not, but perhaps he flip-flops on the idea
There's also the issue of actually getting someone good involved. WotC doesn't have a bunch of Hollywood masterminds lurking about. We'd just end up with the D&D movie now with a bunch of people in controversy-inducing makeup.
Fire Blog Control, Change, and Chaos: The Elemental Power Source Elemental Heroes Example Classes Xaosmith Exulter Chaos Bringer Director Elemental Heroes: Looking Back - Class and Story Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Xaosmith (January 16, 2012) Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Harbinger (May 16, 2012) Check out my Elemental Heroes blog series and help me develop four unique elemental classes.
There's also the issue of actually getting someone good involved. WotC doesn't have a bunch of Hollywood masterminds lurking about. We'd just end up with the D&D movie now with a bunch of people in controversy-inducing makeup.

Had not considered how Drizzt could come off looking like a man on Black Face... Yeah, WotC definitely needs a big budget.

Had not considered how Drizzt could come off looking like a man on Black Face... Yeah, WotC definitely needs a big budget.

It's a lot more than budget. WotC doesn't have anyone who makes great television shows or movies, and nobody who knows how to translate games into movies. RPG movies are still in the Super Mario Brothers Movie stage of development. 
Fire Blog Control, Change, and Chaos: The Elemental Power Source Elemental Heroes Example Classes Xaosmith Exulter Chaos Bringer Director Elemental Heroes: Looking Back - Class and Story Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Xaosmith (January 16, 2012) Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Harbinger (May 16, 2012) Check out my Elemental Heroes blog series and help me develop four unique elemental classes.
What do they hear when Frodo speaks?

Ian Holm. Because I'm old, man. ;)

I must admit, awesome though they otherwise were, the Peter Jackson movies utterly ruined Eowyn (and to a lesser extent Faramir) for me.

I'd probably cast Indian (Subcontinent, not First Nations) actors in all the drow roles and just darken their skin in post-production. I've always thought drow ought to look more 'Desi' than 'Caucasian in blackface'. The other possibility (which I'm not personally so keen on) is to do what a lot of the artwork does and give the drow dark purple skin rather than black. In any case, I don't think it would be too hard to come up with a way of portraying drow that didn't tick off the NAACP.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

No, WE don't.

YOU do.
Ahh, so THIS is where I can add a sig. Remember: Killing an ancient God inside of a pyramid IS a Special Occasion, and thus, ladies should be dipping into their Special Occasions underwear drawer.
This would be the kind of movie that could only be watched with the assistance of two wise-cracking robot sidekicks while marooned on a satellite.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
This would be the kind of movie that could only be watched with the assistance of two wise-cracking robot sidekicks while marooned on a satellite.

+1.

I actually would favor the purple. After all, a lot of Homeland takes place underground and jet skin isn't going to come off well aesthetically or politically. I think part of the problem is you have to explain why the drow are underground, why they love spiders, who the heck Lolth is, and so on.

The other problem is the last two books in the initial trilogy lack Homeland's more emotional plot. Even combining both of them results in a lackluster movie.

Let's face it though, the bar isn't that high. Avengers was a pretty weak movie in all but special effects.
There's been much discussion of Drizzt movies over the years. However with HBO's Game of Thrones series doing so well, an HBO series looks like it could possibly be an even better way to show Drizzt and company on-screen! Now of course it would need to be of similar calibre to Game of Thrones (or the Lord of the Rings trilogy in the case of a movie) to do R.A. Salvatore's characters justice.

We would love to hear why or why not a movie or tv series would work! 

Sincerely,
Drizzt Fans
-------------------------------------- 

And of course this is a forum so up for discussion on the ideas! 

Support!
A few months ago a guy came to me who wanted to make copper miniatures. I said it wouldn't work. But it did and they look cool, pm for pictures. Live in the United States?

Let's face it though, the bar isn't that high. Avengers was a pretty weak movie in all but special effects.

Not trying to derail the topic but that is not a popular opinion. I have met very few people who didn't like the movie (and those that didn't were girls who loved everything up until the "boring action stuff"0.

However, I would hate for a Drizzt movie to be like the Avengers. It needs to be more like the newer Batman movies. More personal, grittier, etc.

Speaking of the movie, Drizzt does a lot of thinking. In fact much of his character growth is done while thinking. Voice Overs/Internal-Monologues are notoriously hard to pull off. Outside of Anime, I can only think of a few instances where internal monologues don't come off as corny/cheesy, unnecessary or that drew me out of the story of the movie/TV show.
Heh, I thought the action is what saved parts of Avengers. Let's agree to disagree, because I can go on about how much it sucked (and not b/c it deviated from the comics).

Good point on the internal monologues for Drizz't.

Loved the DKR films, definitely a better model for the Drizz't films. They might even want to do Crystal Shard, with flashbacks to the events of Homeland. Smaller budget.
i would support a "Companions of the Hall" series if:

Bob Salvatore has a large portion of the creative control

No Wayans brothers are involved.

Anyone involved in the last D&D movies is NOT involved.

any iteration is not compromised by format (ie squeezing a trilogy into a 1:20 movie)

...maybe something more like Anime would be a best fit?

Yep that's definetly a problem, but I like to look at the root cause the drow were created to turn the "elves are allways good guys" trope on it's head drow are litteraly elves inversed phisicaly they're elves phot negatives.

Their skin tone should be darker then anithing a RL human can possible manage, so if the make up or cgi departemnt do good you should not equate them with RL people in any way.

If that fails and eventualy it will fail, at least some blogs will be written, play up that the drow are really completely made up I doubt we have spider worshiping bdsm theocracies in RL.

Another solution, go the Warcaft route and make them purple.

Or keep them white if it really can't be helped but I really want a Drizzt movie.
Drizzt? Please no.

So many better characters and groups.   robilar(and his solo trip thru the temple of elemental evil), elminster(pre wizard, post goddess boning, or in hell...),  Dragonbait, The Four, any other of the famous name wizards (rary, melf, ect...).

Preferences... Not where they should be. Asking someone if they're Trolling you is in violation of section 3 of the Code of Conduct.

Drizzt? Please no.

So many better characters and groups.   robilar(and his solo trip thru the temple of elemental evil), elminster(pre wizard, post goddess boning, or in hell...),  Dragonbait, The Four, any other of the famous name wizards (rary, melf, ect...).

The problem is the general public doesn't know who any of those people are NOR are they distinctly interesting at face value. Drizzt has crossed SO many platforms (comics, miniatures, weapon replicas, video games [consol AND computer]) and is a consistant N.Y. Times best seller which gives him plenty of popularity at the major book retailers. When I go into Wal-Mart (yes, Wal-Mart) and I see the book racks, I see Drizzt there. In addition, he's unique and interesting from someone without RPG knowledge. A dark-skinned warrior holding two strange looking swords in an intimidating pose with a giant panther buddy is definitly more interesting than a sagely looking wizard with a staff (common wizard trope, *yawn*).

If anyone's going to pull in the general public AND relate extreamly well the the fans of Dungeons and Dragons, it'll be Drizzt. Even if it's JUST to see how they pull it off or see how another D&D movie does at the box office. Personally, I'd be happier if they did a high budget show like HBO's Game of Thrones or AMC's The Walking Dead. Both have a high budget but it brings in SO much money that's its hard to argue the audience isn't ripe for a similar, yet more magical, story.
Drizzt would fill the seats, regardless of what some consumers of Bob's fiction might feel. Drizzt is the best option at ever getting a FR movie produced and brought to theatres. I love the idea of doing a Companions movie and not just a solo Drizzt one. 

Matt James Freelance Game Designer Loremaster.org

Follow me on Twitter!
Drizzt would fill the seats, regardless of what some consumers of Bob's fiction might feel. Drizzt is the best option at ever getting a FR movie produced and brought to theatres. I love the idea of doing a Companions movie and not just a solo Drizzt one. 

Agreed, which is why I'd vote for the Crystal Shard being made into a movie. For one, I think you have more to work with setting wise (somewhere with mountains and cold). With diversity in the cast being Drizzt, barbarians, frontier townsfolk, dwarves, and evil mages. Massive battles (ie. against the Barbarians at the start of the novel) as well as intricate side story lines for Wulfgar and Cattie-Brie. Then you add in the possibility of a sequal when Breunor mentions the old Battlehammer homeland and reclaiming his kingdom. Enter the Streams of Silver sequal!  

I have to agree. I'd pick the Crystal Shard or Homeland as the first film.
they should start producing Anime-esque DND movies, not only would it be cheaper than live-action, it would look alot better- with the same sort of backing as a live-action production one could make animated movies worthy of movie-theater blockbuster. You could also produce a decent amount of them, as its cheaper, and take advantage of more characters and settings.

The most important thing, is that at the moment, the right sort of special effects are practically impossible for the kind of budget we might be able to expect- anything that isn't low magic is just going to come across as silly-looking, the Avatar movie and prior DND movies come to mind. Anime allows you to do the high magic of DND without an obscene budget.

Also, Anime will appeal just fine to many of the potential (youthful) players it might attract- for the others live action wouldn't make much of a difference.

i'd personally like to see Drizzt's story as a sequence of movies, and a seperate Anime series about an original story- written by some of the people whom have produced the more succesful DND books/games.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/8.jpg)

If anyone's going to pull in the general public AND relate extreamly well the the fans of Dungeons and Dragons, it'll be Drizzt. Even if it's JUST to see how they pull it off or see how another D&D movie does at the box office. Personally, I'd be happier if they did a high budget show like HBO's Game of Thrones or AMC's The Walking Dead. Both have a high budget but it brings in SO much money that's its hard to argue the audience isn't ripe for a similar, yet more magical, story.

I'd argue that Dragonlance and Raistlin are alot more likely to pull in the general public and relate well to existing fans than Drizzt.

Don't get me wrong,  I'm not saying anything bad about Drizzt.  But Chronicles/Legends is a much stronger "General public" property,  while Drizzt has a narrower range of appeal. 

I'd also question Drizzt's ability to pull in money in a Game of Thrones or Walking Dead type move.   Drizzt is a very male dominated demographic,  which would likely be a really hard sell to female demographics and non-gamer demographics.

Dragonlance has potential to aquire a portion of the female demographic due to it's romantic and love triangle themes,  ,  along with it's numerous other minor themes. And appeal to the more drama oriented people.

Like I said,  I'm not saying anything's wrong with Drizzt,  nor am I saying it would be unsuccessfull,  but if you want to expand the audience and include "General public",  I really don't think Drizzt has that pull.
Good points.

I'd love to see this well done, but based on many previous examples; live action would almost certainly be a disaster (i.e. poorly done and/or a huge financial loss). I reckon an anime-ish Realms cartoon probably has the best chance of being cool/non-embarrassing.
Sign In to post comments