WEREBEAR BATTLEMIND - You wont go where you want

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
WEREBEAR BATTLEMIND - You wont go where you want

Half-Elf Battlemind (Druid) / Unbound Nomad / Topaz Crusader

Werebear Battlemind

A sticky Battlemind

I started this build when the were themes came out (Dragon 410: Howl at the Moon ), I didnt finished it because I had no time, I saw svendj's post but I think my idea is different, because the key is not the use of the level 10 feature for get a MBA while using all the class powers, the key is the sinergy between hybrid form and druid beast-form attacks.

My desire was to create an effective (defender) battlemind, but this concept can be used on any class half elf with MC druid or any Hybrid with druid. I wanted to make a full battlemind (and see if this class can have an ultimate defender. CharOP experts will judge that).

I am working on the hybrid version, because the hybrid can use the immobilize at-will in heroic, and it frees the MC slot, but I am not sure about the loss of Blurred Step or Mind Spike and I have to explore druid encounter and daily powers.

Build Goal

The build is a half elf battlemind (MC druid) that specializes in lockdown one or two enemies, giving them very bad choices, generally immobilized or dazed and having -4 to attack the battlemind and his allies, he can stop charges and shift+charges, and force them to attack the battlemind and eat Forceful Reversal, or an OA and Mind Spike. In heroic is a battlemind (with some tricks), and the build reaches all his power in level 11 like all the half-elf builds.

The main trick

The key is Werebear level 10 feature "hybrid form" that allows us to use battlemind powers and beast form powers (including druid beast form powers). Grasping claws + ruthless killer (we meet the prerequisites because the MC druid gives us wild shape power) is a basic attack that immobilizes. Now he can immobilize at will, in charges, in OAs, etc. And he has Blurred Step, so can stop shift+charge too. This means that he will use mind-spike more often (or OA+Mind spike if is ranged and attack our allies), or the enemy will attack him, (what all defenders want, high defenses, and then eat Forceful Reversal)

At level 13 he gets daze at-will too (Intellect Snap) and then this is the main attack for the standard action of his turn, making his target's life even worse with Psychic Lock.

I am still not sure if I should pick Lightning Rush for those turns where the target is dead and must must lockdown other target fast and go adjacent. Maybe it can be the level 17 at-will instead Lodestone Lure, but LL is good to have when there are flying creatures or we need the range.

MC Druid

Multiclass druid gives us all we need (a weapimplement, wild shape power to meet ruthless killer prerequisite), and a free skill and an at-will as encounter beast form power.

Other features and Catch-22

He uses a staff (aversion staff) for weapon powers and implement powers (beastform powers), when he hits his main target with Intelect Snap, the enemy is dazed, has -4 to attack allies (mark+Psychic Lock) and has -4 to attack the battlemind (Aversion Staff + Psychic Lock).
This enemies only can attack the battlemind high defenses (and eat Forceful Reversal if they hit) or try to attack allies in a bad scenario:
- If the enemy is melee only, he can try a charge and eat OA (missing the attack).
- If the enemy is ranged, he must eat an OA, and Mind Spike if hits
- If the enemy has close burst-blast attacks and attack both you and your allies, he avoid the -2 of the mark and Mind Spike, but he can still eat Forceful Reversal if he hits you.

Even if we miss with his standard, and the enemy is not dazed or immobilized, he can stop shift+charge thanks to blurred step.

He can handle 2 enemies easy, when they are adjacent and marked (allways use Battlemind's Demand augmented), thanks to his great OA and Blurred Step. If he needs to mark with an OA he can use Bear Shape Secondary power too.

In epic level he is even better defender, because Topaz Crusader is awesome, Mind Spike is an interrupt (can negate the attack) and he can use it 2 times / round (Rapid Mind Spike)

Accuracy, defenses and initiative

The accuracy is not very high, but he usually attacks reflex or will, and we pick Insightful Riposte at 16 because of this. (Suggestions are welcome)
The build has very good defenses, like all the battleminds / topaz crusaders. This is good, because usually your mark should attack you.
Initiative is very very  high because we want to go first, selecting the bad guy (normally controller or leader) and make him cry.

100% Item independent

The build is totally item dependent, all the items can be changed for others, this is very versatile. feyslaughter staff, Staff of the traveller or staff of ruin are good items too.
I think the items I picked are good for the build, but I am sure that there are good alternatives too (Suggestions are welcome).

Paragon Path

The paragon path is open, is not a key of the build, so pick what you want, I picked Unbound Nomad because all the features are very usefull for the build:
-Teleport an enemy when you hit? Great options.
-Being inmune to pushes is lovely in a build who wants being adjacent to his preys. Plus free shift? great.
-2 power points is allways good.
-Teleport instead of shift on Blurred Step is good too, and teleport distance can be increased with items see Zathris Guide.
-E11 is just awesome. Lets see: He go before monsters (usually he will). Use Bear Shape->Hygrid Form. Then Cunning Abduction. Teleport 5 adjacent of the bad guy (controller, leader,...). Hit (Dazed if augment 2 -> will do it)and he teleports with the important enemy up to 10 squares back adjacent to our melee striker, and then marks him (Battlemind's Demand). Then he start Crying.
-D12 is not very good
-D20 is good, and can be a combat changer if you use it well.

I looked into Blood Moon Stalker because the AP and Lvl16 features are very good, but I am not sure if the AP feature works in Hybrid form.
Blackstone Guardian and Talaric Ironjack are good too.
Cant go wrong with Son of Mercy.

Heroic, Paragon and Epic

Heroic

In heroic he is a normal Battlemind, but Lodestone Lure is his main tool for doing what he wants. In levels 1-2 iron fist helps with 4DR. At level 7 Forceful Reversal helps with catch-22 (and control if we want because of prone).
Until level 10 he can use druid's wild shape if needed, when you feel that a marked enemy will try to charge or attack and adjacent ally (we have 1/enc slide and 1/enc slow in beast form). Remember that Mind Spike can be used in beast form.
At level 10 we have a full OA, and 1/encounter OA that immobilizes. And we dont have to use wild shape for use Savage Rend or Grasping Claws when we need it.

Paragon

Now the fun starts. At-will immobilize as basic attack is gold for a defender (and for everyone). We get immunity to pushes and a great combat opener power. Daze at will comes at 13 with psychic lock, and we are set. We improve other things (better initiative, accuracy, defenses, etc.)

Epic

Topaz crusader. Immune to daze, dominate, immobilize, restrain, polymorph,.. untyped bonus to AC and defenses, etc. More than we need.
Prescient retaliation makes mind spike immediate interrupt, and rapid mind spike gives him an extra free use of the interrupt. Attacking allies is even worse now (if they can).
Strength Through Challenge gives him resist 5 / all for near the entire the encounter (for the first round hit he has resist 16-17 with battle resilience). And the epic defensive feats puts fortitude and will over 50.
Mind of Mirrors at 27 is very fun, dominate at will (usually we will have the power points because the build usually doesn't spend a lot), or a free OA when he attacks you plus Forceful Reversal is great.

Werewolf Battlemind Level 16

Werebear Battlemind, level 16
Half-Elf, Battlemind, Unbound Nomad
Build: Resilient Battlemind
Psionic Study: Battle Resilience
Half-Elf Power Selection: Dilettante
Background: Arcane Student Who Saw Too Much (Arcane Student Who Saw Too Much Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 22, Dex 14, Int 9, Wis 22, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 16, Dex 13, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 10.

AC: 31 Fort: 30 Reflex: 27 Will: 32
HP: 127 Surges: 15 Surge Value: 31

TRAINED SKILLS
Heal +19, Endurance +21, Insight +21, Nature +19

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +10, Arcana +7, Bluff +8, Diplomacy +10, Dungeoneering +14, History +7, Intimidate +8, Perception +14, Religion +7, Stealth +10, Streetwise +8, Thievery +10, Athletics +9

FEATS
Level 1: Melee Training (Constitution) (retrained to Ruthless Killer at Level 10)
Level 2: Initiate of the Old Faith
Level 4: Staff Expertise
Level 6: Improved Initiative
Level 8: Superior Will
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: Versatile Master
Level 12: Battlewise
Level 14: Psychic Lock
Level 16: Hafted Defense

POWERS
Battlemind at-will 1: Iron Fist
Battlemind at-will 1: Conductive Defense
Dilettante: Grasping Claws
Initiate of the Old Faith: Savage Rend
Battlemind daily 1: Aspect of Elevated Harmony
Battlemind utility 2: Telepathic Challenge
Battlemind at-will 3: Lodestone Lure
Battlemind daily 5: Nightmare Vortex
Battlemind utility 6: Psionic Ambush
Battlemind at-will 7: Forceful Reversal (replaces Conductive Defense)
Battlemind daily 9: Iron Tomb
Battlemind utility 10: Mental Triumph
Battlemind at-will 13: Intellect Snap (replaces Iron Fist)
Battlemind daily 15: Mind Blade (replaces Nightmare Vortex)
Battlemind utility 16: Insightful Riposte

ITEMS
Aversion Staff +3, Diamond Cincture (heroic tier), Agile Wyvernscale Armor +3, Gauntlets of Blood (paragon tier), Casque of Tactics (paragon tier), Cloak of Distortion +3, Ring of Invigoration (paragon tier), Eager Hero's Tattoo (heroic tier), Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Boots of Resolute Reflexes (paragon tier)

Werewolf Battlemind Level 30

Werebear Battlemind, level 30
Half-Elf, Battlemind, Unbound Nomad, Topaz Crusader
Build: Resilient Battlemind
Psionic Study: Battle Resilience
Bound to Greatness: Bound to Greatness (Constitution)
Half-Elf Power Selection: Dilettante
Background: Arcane Student Who Saw Too Much (Arcane Student Who Saw Too Much Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 28, Dex 15, Int 10, Wis 26, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 16, Dex 13, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 10.

AC: 48 Fort: 51 Reflex: 43 Will: 53
HP: 217 Surges: 18 Surge Value: 54

TRAINED SKILLS
Heal +28, Endurance +29, Insight +30, Nature +28

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +17, Arcana +15, Bluff +16, Diplomacy +18, Dungeoneering +23, History +15, Intimidate +16, Perception +23, Religion +15, Stealth +17, Streetwise +16, Thievery +17, Athletics +16

FEATS
Level 1: Melee Training (Constitution) (retrained to Ruthless Killer at Level 10)
Level 2: Initiate of the Old Faith
Level 4: Staff Expertise
Level 6: Improved Initiative (retrained to Superior Initiative at Level 22)
Level 8: Superior Will
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: Versatile Master
Level 12: Battlewise
Level 14: Psychic Lock
Level 16: Hafted Defense
Level 18: Danger Sense (retrained to Rapid Mind Spike at Level 21)
Level 20: Uncanny Dodge
Level 21: Prescient Retaliation
Level 22: Devouring Demand
Level 24: Strength Through Challenge
Level 26: Epic Reflexes
Level 28: Epic Will
Level 30: Epic Fortitude

POWERS
Battlemind at-will 1: Iron Fist
Battlemind at-will 1: Conductive Defense
Dilettante: Grasping Claws
Initiate of the Old Faith: Savage Rend
Battlemind daily 1: Aspect of Elevated Harmony
Battlemind utility 2: Telepathic Challenge
Battlemind at-will 3: Lodestone Lure
Battlemind daily 5: Nightmare Vortex
Battlemind utility 6: Psionic Ambush
Battlemind at-will 7: Forceful Reversal (replaces Conductive Defense)
Battlemind daily 9: Iron Tomb
Battlemind utility 10: Mental Triumph
Battlemind at-will 13: Intellect Snap (replaces Iron Fist)
Battlemind daily 15: Mind Blade (replaces Nightmare Vortex)
Battlemind utility 16: Insightful Riposte
Battlemind at-will 17: Lodestone Lure (replaces Lodestone Lure)
Battlemind daily 19: Aspect of Stolen Identity (replaces Aspect of Elevated Harmony)
Battlemind utility 22: Immortal Endurance
Battlemind at-will 23: Lodestone Lure (replaces Lodestone Lure)
Battlemind daily 25: Psychic Hammer (replaces Iron Tomb)
Battlemind at-will 27: Mind of Mirrors (replaces Lodestone Lure)
Battlemind daily 29: Omniscient Strike (replaces Psychic Hammer)

ITEMS
Gauntlets of Blood (paragon tier), Eladrin Boots (paragon tier), Diamond Cincture (paragon tier), Aversion Staff +6, Eye of Awareness (epic tier), Far-Step Amulet +6, Agile Elderscale Armor +6, Eager Hero's Tattoo (paragon tier), Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier), Nullifying Ring (epic tier), Foe Binder Ring (paragon tier)

Sapphire - Swormage Dragon Guardian - Dont touch my allies build. Swordmage / Sigil Carver / Draconic incarnation The Holy Slayer - A Striker - Defender Fighter | Cleric / Barbarian - Paragon of Victory WEREBEAR BATTLEMIND: You wont go where you want. - A Battlemind (Druid) / Unbound Nomad / Topaz Crusader

Hybrid build and Variants

Reserved for the hybrid build and variants.

Thanks for comments. Feedback and positive criticism are appreciated.

Sapphire - Swormage Dragon Guardian - Dont touch my allies build. Swordmage / Sigil Carver / Draconic incarnation The Holy Slayer - A Striker - Defender Fighter | Cleric / Barbarian - Paragon of Victory WEREBEAR BATTLEMIND: You wont go where you want. - A Battlemind (Druid) / Unbound Nomad / Topaz Crusader
Might I suggest claw gloves? 1d10 to melee damages in hybrid form is comparable to doing 6 damage to bloodied enemies. I believe mind spike has the melee keyword too. Okay you'll need CA for it.
Might I suggest claw gloves? 1d10 to melee damages in hybrid form is comparable to doing 6 damage to bloodied enemies. I believe mind spike has the melee keyword too. Okay you'll need CA for it.

Yes You are right, they are a great, but I think this item will be errated, because it was designed for the use on druids in bear shape only, now rangers and multiattackers have here a broken gold mine. We had a discussion of this here:
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

But for now they work, and are very abusable (brutal barrage...)

But thanks for the suggestion, is apreciated.
I tried messing around with a hybrid battlemind|druid after seeing this and the issue I run into is that you can either get mind spike or blurred step.  But the stats work out well actually.

Interesting things I found:
Armor of the Wild L10 Druid Utility that gives you resist all equal to your Con mod for an entire encounter while in beast form
Primal Wolverine L5 Druid Daily that makes all your melee attacks knock prone for an entire encounter
Primal Wolf L9 Druid Daily that makes it so you do Con mod damage when someone makes an attack against you <-- would this trigger before hit effects but after the attack roll?

Primal Guardian as a hybrid talent allows you to use your Con mod for AC while not in heavy armor.

Dwarf stats line up perfectly with the Battlemind|Druid and you could use an Alfsair Urgrosh as your weapon.  You would have an axe to take advantage of Headman's Chop and of course you have your implement as well.

I would suggest Werebear as well for the mark on the attack, if needed, as well as the +1 to AC/Fort while in hybrid form.  

You could take vicious advantage since you would be slowing with grasping claws or immobilizing with ruthless killer which lines up perfectly with both ferocious tiger and claw gloves.

I tried messing around with a hybrid battlemind|druid after seeing this and the issue I run into is that you can either get mind spike or blurred step.  But the stats work out well actually.

I think Mind Spike is the route, because You have immobilize at-will since level 1. But is a big loss when you dont hit with your standard, enemy can shift + charge

Interesting things I found:
Armor of the Wild L10 Druid Utility that gives you resist all equal to your Con mod for an entire encounter while in beast form
Primal Wolverine L5 Druid Daily that makes all your melee attacks knock prone for an entire encounter
Primal Wolf L9 Druid Daily that makes it so you do Con mod damage when someone makes an attack against you would this trigger before hit effects but after the attack roll?

thanks for the suggestions, primal Wolf is very good yes, and others are good picks. Not stellar but good picks. In my first look to druid powers, I didnt see anything that makes the main build better other than the immobilize at-will, maybe is not so good idea make the hybrid, but I will try.

Primal Guardian as a hybrid talent allows you to use your Con mod for AC while not in heavy armor.

Yes and You have access to Primal Guardian riders, and second skin... is something

Dwarf stats line up perfectly with the Battlemind|Druid and you could use an Alfsair Urgrosh as your weapon.  You would have an axe to take advantage of Headman's Chop and of course you have your implement as well.

I like dwarfs too, I wish I could make a hammer my implement... any ideas? But Your suggestion is very good, I dont like to depend on a item enchantment to make the build work, but a is great idea. Headman's Chop is not for this build, but spears (and axes) have other good thigs...

I would suggest Werebear as well for the mark on the attack, if needed, as well as the +1 to AC/Fort while in hybrid form.

Werebear is already the main piece of the build.

You could take vicious advantage since you would be slowing with grasping claws or immobilizing with ruthless killer which lines up perfectly with both ferocious tiger and claw gloves.

Yes I was picking this on the battlemind build but was not a good idea because the immobilize at-will starts at level 11, and at level 13 you get daze at-will. But in the hybrid version is totally a good pick because accuracy is ver apreciated in heroic.

Lets see if I have time this week to make all the pieces work, your help is very apreciated.

Any other suggestions or comments?
Thing about werebear mba is that it's not implement so you'll want expertise in unarmed strike. Oh wait you got grasping claws heh nvm. How about bracers of enforced regrets? +2 to attack and damage if you get marked. Help with your accuracy concerns.
How about bracers of enforced regrets? +2 to attack and damage if you get marked. Help with your accuracy concerns.

In my experience being marked is too situational, and usually enemies mark the strikers or controlers. I think is not a good option for any defender, but thanks for the advice!
Hmm I know you're feat starved but if you go thundering force, you could get born of the element and elemental companion storm talon for a nice +2. Of course the DM may go after the critter and poof go your bonus.
Hmm I know you're feat starved but if you go thundering force, you could get born of the element and elemental companion storm talon for a nice +2. Of course the DM may go after the critter and poof go your bonus.

Not worth it. 2 feats plus a background (arcana) to get a bonus for 1 round is too much. But sometimes you will have those 2 minor actions to activate-attack-deactivate...

Is better to invest in CA:

In heroic (level 3+), Deadly Draw with Lodestone Lure.
From level 10 to 13 the main attack is grasping claws, You can retrain it for vicious advantage.
At level 13 with daze at-will (your main attack), You have a CA generator with no feats.

Thank You for the suggestions!