8/2/2012 TD: "Almost Got 'Em"

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I'm getting tired of a few words: 'brad', 'nelson' and 'post'.
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

The turn 3 kill I got in the SCGNY open was 
Razorverge - Arbor Elf 
Forest - Archdruid
Forest - Llanowar, Lanowar, Wave for x=3
Hit 2x Bell-Ringer and Visionary
Cast second wave for x=9
Put my deck in play, attack for DI.

Thanks so much for covering my deck Mike, Love your articles! 
Kurt 
Great read!
I enjoyed today's article. Thanks Mike!
Another Delver win... Really Wizards? When the frell are you going to do something about Delver already? This is getting 'effing stupid.
Another Delver win... Really Wizards? When the frell are you going to do something about Delver already? This is getting 'effing stupid.

Apparently it's only like 1/3-1/4 of the metagame now, rather than 1/2, and there are several different-colored builds being played, so they'll probably ignore it.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
To KurtCrane: How do you play a second genesis for 9? Don't all of the permanents hit the battlefield at the same time making it impossible to play a bell-ringer and untap and then retap for all the mana again and then play the second bell-ringer to untap and retap? Wouldn't you only be able to untap them all once? I am testing this deck out and everyone keeps telling me that they only untap once because everything that genesis digs up hits the field at the same time

edit: forgot something. Also, you can't tap anything that genesis puts out because it has summoning sickness. Maybe I am just missing a subtle nuance

To KurtCrane: How do you play a second genesis for 9?

Maybe I am just missing a subtle nuance

Yes, the Stack.

Whenever an ability happens, it goes on the stack so that players (both of them) can respond to it.  When multiple abilities trigger at the same time (say by a bunch of stuff entering the battlefield), they all go on the stack in the order of that player's choice.  Then they come off one at a time, with the ability for either player to respond before each of them.

So if your bell is getting rung twice you put both on the stack, then:

1. Tap your guys for mana, putting it in the mana pool.

2. Resolve one of the untaps.

3. Tap your guys for mana again, adding to the mana pool.

4. Resolve the other untap.

5. Tap for mana a third time.

6. Spend all the mana in the pool on whatever big spell you want.

Responding to different points on the stack is a good trick to learn, and it can be subtle when playing with paper cards.  But if you get the chance to play Magic Online, you can see the stack in action as you get asked for actions between each step.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Thanks. I knew about the stack but not placing things in the orser i want. Also everyone must be wrong about it all happening at one time. I will remember this
Thanks. I knew about the stack but not placing things in the orser i want. Also everyone must be wrong about it all happening at one time. I will remember this

They all enter the battlefield at one time, but the abilities that trigger from that go onto the stack and have to resolve sequentially.  That's the tricky part.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
Sign In to post comments