How should I organize my trade binder?

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a very big trade binder.

Before now, I've always organized my binder by splitting cards up by format and color, then putting them in alphabetical order. It meant everything always had its own place and I could always find whatever I was looking for, but the major drawback was that every time I picked up new cards, I'd often have to shift dozens of other cards to make room for the additions. Even if I deliberately left empty spaces to allow for new cards, they'd soon fill up.

So I want to find a new system. I need to be able to keep track of what I have and find things, and I want other people to be able to find things, but I also want to minimize the drudgework of shifting cards around as much as possible. When I pick up new cards, I should be able to add them to my binder with a minimum of moving other things around.

What organizational system would you suggest to accomplish this? I have some ideas, but if someone else has a better system I'd love to hear about it.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

The most logical way I can think of to organize a binder is to do it by Set, Color, Type, CMC, Alphabetical (in that order of importance).  I use Gatherer to see what cards go in-between the cards I have, and leave spaces accordingly, this way you don't have to worry about shifting cards over to make room since you have the spaces where necesary.
Player of "Magic the Gathering" since July 19th 2012. I have a LOT of catching up to do. XD Please help with my decks: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29322665/Need_Input_-_Blood_Artist_Sacrifice_Deck
I recommend disorganization. Organization is for storage and retrieval. I expect the contents of a trade binder to fluctuate.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Alphabetical is kind of over the top for me. If you put them by color and CMC, they should be classified enough. I mean when I'm searching for a lightning bolt, I know it's a 1 CMC card.

If your binder is big enough, you can also just do this

Page 1 : Red 1 CMC
Page 2 : Red 2 CMC
Page 3 : Red 3 CMC
Page 4 : Red 4 CMC
Page 5 : Red 5 CMC
Page 6 : Red +6 CMC

and once one of your page is filled you just add a new page to have

Page 1 : Red 1 CMC
Page 2 : Red 2 CMC
Page 3 : Red 2 CMC (extra new page with only 1 card on it)
Page 4 : Red 3 CMC
Page 5 : Red 4 CMC
Page 6 : Red 5 CMC
Page 7 : Red +6 CMC

It keeps things simple and you dont have to move any card ever again. Dont do the mistake of doing the next example because you'll end up doing a lot of shifting, buying an extra 30 pages is well worth the time you'd waste shifting anything.

Page 1 : Red 1-2 CMC
Page 2 : Red 3-4 CMC
Page 3 : Red 5+ CMC

To be honest, when I'm looking at a trade binder, I usually know what I want or know what part of my deck are more shaky. I know that my red/white deck is missing a creature with 2 CMC, if they are placed by color and alphabetical order, I'll have to look at ALL the red cards anyway. If they are placed by color, cmc and alphabetically, it will not help me anymore than if they were just placed color and CMC, the extra work of alphabetical order is not worth it imo.

If you want to go further with my first example, you can separate the creatures from the other spells.
Page 1 : Red 1 CMC creature
Page 2 : Red 1 CMC sorcery/instant/enchantement/aura/other
Page 3 : Red 2 CMC creature
Page 4 : Red 2 CMC sorcery/instant/enchantement/aura/other like the odd artifact that can only be red : shrine of burning rage

Edit there's even colored separators that can be bought in stores like Staples, I've found, black, white. green and blue separators, didnt find red, so I've just put red at the top of my binder
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
I've never really understood sorting by CMC; I've never once looked through my cards for ones with a specific mana cost, and CMC is one of the aspects of a card I'm least likely to remember offhand.

Organize it with your heart.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
This is why the world is such a wonderful place, I remember the CMC of most of my cards first and foremost along with what they do, then I remember the picture and then I remember the name (if at all). I'm pretty sure I could tell you exactly what card does what with what CMC in all my decks and I'm sure I'd have a hard time naming half of them.
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
Keep a library-style record ordered the way you used to order cards in your binder, but with each record containing a numbered reference to a specific slot in your binder. The downside being that you have to number all the slots. I admit this is a largely ridiculous idea, but hey.

L1 Judge

It's a trade binder. List it by value. Expensive cards in front, trade fodder in back. 
It's a trade binder. List it by value. Expensive cards in front, trade fodder in back. 

Partly.  Stores like it when you have it sorted by set, then colour.  After that they're not too picky.

I also pull all my foils and throw them in the back for fodder. 
141434757 wrote:
Thread is so legit it's unbelievable, lol. Though I'm interested in knowing what gain there is to fish here. No, foreign prince, I will not invest in your grand profitable banking corporation.
By color and card types. Leave some pages after each section so it'll be alright.
My decks, mostly casuals, but some I use online with some small changes: http://www.mtgvault.com/Profile.aspx?UserID=91484
This is why the world is such a wonderful place, I remember the CMC of most of my cards first and foremost along with what they do, then I remember the picture and then I remember the name (if at all). I'm pretty sure I could tell you exactly what card does what with what CMC in all my decks and I'm sure I'd have a hard time naming half of them.

I just go by the picture first, because text is boring and pictures are pretty! And just suddenly learned what CMC means. Dear Lord Bolas, I am still newbing it.
Always right, 102% of the time.
For me, colour then set (starting with the old stuff, with the new at the back... makes all the Standard kiddies stare at all your old expensive stuff first).
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
I 'anti-sort' my trade folder.
My folder holds 9 cards a page (3x3), and I make sure that cards of the same colour aren't next to each other either horizontally or vertically, diagonal is ok.
So if a Sphinx of Uthuun is in the center of a page then there can't be another Blue card above, below or either side of it. The exeption is more than 1 of a card, if I have 2 of the Sphinxs', they can go next to each other horizontally.

I think it looks really colourful and because cards of different value are scatter throughout my folder I think it's pretty interesting to look at.
My friend has a good system.  He has three binders that are split up into Legacy, Standard, and misc.

Standard is organized by whole sheets being in the same color, even if you find the color again later in the binder.  It's easy to just stop at a page if you know you're looking for a certain card.

Legacy is just cards tossed in, but duplicates are side-by-side.

Misc binder is set up similar to the Standard.

Keep in mind, they are all tradestuff binders.
My trade binder is just sorted by color. I change the cards too often to use any other system. A less appealing but better system might be to do as others have said and sort it by value. Of course I would put the ebst stuff in the back to force people to look through the whole binder .
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
hi zammm

go with a rolodex. Sure, magic cards are slightly bigger than business cards but the function would be the same. They even made portable ones way back in the analog days. 
I just had a giggle fit over the idea of a 'Trade Rolodex'.

how's life? 
how's life? 

Pretty good. Yourself?

I'm pretty retentive about this, I'd consider buying a second binder and splitting based on color or format (Standard vs Eternal, or Modern vs Legacy ) or something like chase uncommons and rares vs. awesome stuff (but not chase)
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
As long as you disregard women, acquire chase rares, it doesn't matter how you organize.
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
how's life? 

Pretty good. Yourself?

All most done with college. Don't want to work or be a real person in the near future. 

All most done with college.

/facepalm

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Interesting to read other peoples thoughts.

I've always used Set > Collectors number.
Usually with a page or pages to each colour to reduce the amount of card moving an with the newest cards at the back.
I try to keep a Standard folder running and then an Older stuff folder.
Foils are kept separately.

I used to have a problem with OCD, but I sorted it out...
...it's now CDO ;)    

All most done with college.

/facepalm

hey man, youre an old dude now. 

and I'm a fifth year cause I'm dumb. sadface.