Newish Player Building White Weenie Equipment Deck

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey All, I've been playing on the rare occasion and love the game but I'm inexperianced when it comes to deckbuilding. Everything I've learned about Magic has been taught to me by my friend so I'm sure I'm lacking in common knowledge but I feel I have a pretty solid grasp on the game.

I've played DotPW 2012 on the Xbox and I love the 'Wielding Steel' deck and want to build a more efficient, fun deck with a similar premise.

While hanging out with a few friends I decided to quickly throw a deck together. I ended up with about 150 cards which I was promptly laughed at for, I figured the deck would be exciting if nothing else and I could whittle it down as I played.

To my dissapointment I won 5/8 games and held my own in the others which gave me next to no clue what I should keep or remove since the variety of cards made the deck play differently every time.

Generally what I went with is (almost) all Soldiers, mostly Kor, cheap creatures and a ton of equipment.
Here's what I think I need (this is my first post so hopefully I can do this linking thing correctly)

Pacifism or Arrest
Armament Master
Puresteel Paladin
Kor Outfitter
Kor Skyfisher
Stoneforge Mystic
Kitesail Apprentice
Kor Duelist

Here's some stuff I've either considered or used. It seems like there's so many great possiblilities and not nearly enough space!

Pennon Blade
Conqueror's Pledge
Trusty Machete
Argentum Armor
Cranial Plating
Kor Hookmaster
Kor Aeronaut
Revoke Existence
Elite Vanguard
Infiltration Lens

I work for a publication and we'll be doing coverage at PAX I want to have a fully legal deck that can be played casually or in a tournament if the opportunity arrise. I welcome all help, critiques and advice.

Thanks!

Also do I have to [c][slashc] everything or is there a better way?

You can list an entire deck like this:

as far as your deck goes:

You want to focus on keeping just about everything in your deck at 3 mana or less. off the top of my head, this might be good:

I'm going to assume you are on something of a budget, so no Sword of Feast and Famine or it's ilk.

[deck]
4 Kor duelist
4 Puresteel Paladin
4 Stoneforge Mystic
2 Spellskite
4 Etched Champion
4 Porcelain Legionnaire

2 Oblivion Ring
3 Dispatch
2 Honor of the Pure

1 Argentum Armor
1 Mortarpod
1 Moonsilver Spear
1 Bonesplitter
2 Cranial Plating
1 No-dachi
1 Swiftfoot Boots

4 Ancient Den
19 Plains
 [/deck]

By far not the best list, but a good template. If you do have 4 stoneforge mystic, you don't need a lot of equipment. Instead, you should add individual equipment that all serve a purpose. Most of that involves the sword of x and y's, along with things like Umezawa's Jitte and Batterskull, but those are all fairly pricey. In my list, Mortarpod gives you reach late-game (with paladin & metalcraft, it turns into a machine gun that can easily do 3-6 damage in a turn), Argentum is a game-ender and Swiftfoot boots protects your attacker of choice.

Hope that helps! 
I'd like to stick with keeping my creatures either kor or soldiers for the synergy bonuses. One functionality I really like is the the kor skyfisher's "return target permanent you control' so I can get a second shot at the laydown ability of the other cards or reclaim a tapped land.

Love the Land and Equipment though! What if I take some of yours and keep my original premise?

Should I aim for exactly 60 cards or is acceptable to go over as much as I have? I'm also still hoping that this deck will be legal for just about any tournament type (I'm not sure of rules as I have only drafted) but I'm not sure that's the case

Should I aim for exactly 60 cards or is acceptable to go over as much as I have?

Unless you have a reason, you should stick to 60 cards. By which I mean, if you aren't playing Battle Of Wits and you don't have any strange compulsions forcing you to build decks with 61 cards - you should stick to 60 cards.

I'm also still hoping that this deck will be legal for just about any tournament type

That's a big ask, largely because StoneForge Mystic is banned everywhere relevant - as is Ancient Den.

In the current deck you posted I would be running DarkSteel Citadel to further your MetalCraft requirements (and Cranial Plating ) and Sejiri Steppe (to ensure you can connect when you need to). I would also run the full playset of Dispatch.

With StoneForge Mystic around, you are probably going to be able to lighten up a bit on the exact numbers of Equipment you need to run.

Etched Champion seems like it would be great here - I encourage you to try it.

I'll spitball an alternate build for you (which can be built on a budget):

How to autocard: 

Show

[*c]CardName[/*c] (remove the *'s) to autocard!

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

Remove the *'s to autodeck!

Solid additions, you've given me far more to think about than I could have hoped for and I love the alternate deck too.

I suppose I could also do Ancient Den for artifact power but it looks like that may be banned too.
I will go with 4x Dispatch and eliminate Pacificism which would work better for this build. 

I'm sure this is a basic question I should ask somewhere else but what is the reasoning behind an exact 60 card deck?

I'll definitely go through and adjust what equipment I have and how much.

I also had a friend use an artifact deck against me coupled with Fling so that he could toss ridiculous modular creatures at me with Cranial Plating dealing stupid amounts of damage and allowing him to keep his equipment (kinda garbage).

This got me thinking that I might just make this deck versatile and keep all the cards in one box, adjusting as the situation warrants it (i.e. tournament, casual play, etc) possibly adding a splash of red after I am satisfied with my initial build.

Thanks again for all the help guys!

I'm sure this is a basic question I should ask somewhere else but what is the reasoning behind an exact 60 card deck?

Here's the first relevant thing I could find on DailyMTG
Show

In addition to focusing your deck around two colors, you are also going to want to try and stick to the 60 card minimum deck size for Constructed. There are numerous reasons why this is a good idea, but the primary one has to do with math. Lest I cause unneeded panic attacks or send you shrieking into the woods at this early juncture, allow me to couch said math in a metaphor so that it is more easily palatable. My mother, saint of a woman that she is, swears that she loves all of her children equally. I have no reason to believe my mother is lying, but I also know that I am the oldest, smartest, funniest, and most dashingly handsome of her children, and therefore suspect that in spite of her protestations to the contrary, my mother still loves me the most. Since my mother (secretly) loves me the most, she also wants to see me the most, therefore I am made deeply aware that not showing up at family functions saddens her. She only birthed three children instead of sixty, but I choose to believe that is because she knew she'd want to see me frequently from an early age, and if she had sixty kids I'd be a lot more likely to get lost in the crowd.
Like my mother, you may swear that you love all of your Magic cards equally, but I also suspect that you probably favor certain cards more than others, even if you don't tell them that. (You certainly can though, they like to hear it.) There are cards in your collection that you would be happy to see game after game, because like me, those cards are smart and devastatingly handsome. But, with the exception of basic lands, you can only have up to four copies of any given card in your deck. By only playing 60 cards in your deck, you make it more likely that those favorite cards show up at family gatherings (in Magic, we call them games and matches), thus making your deck more consistent in the way that it plays, and hopefully helping you win more. If you run more than 60 cards, you are making it less likely that you will see your favorite cards over the course of a game.

How to autocard: 

Show

[*c]CardName[/*c] (remove the *'s) to autocard!

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

Remove the *'s to autodeck!

Kor outfitter is redundant with puresteel (and puresteel is better). If you are going to try and activate purestel you should run as many artifatcs as you can. This means your one drop should almost certainly be flayer husk and furthermore you should use a couple of mortarpod.

The soldier angle is not helpful being substantially worse then other equipment or creature types. Try and just give that up if you can. If you like the skyfisher you should probably run him as the angel instead so as not to intefere so much with the 2 cmc slot for stoneforge or puresteel.

You should try and run exactly 60 cards and if you keep it all down o the 3 cmc or less category you can run with 21 land. Honor of the pure should be more equipment.

4 flayer husk
4 stoneforge mystic
4 puresteel paladin
1 mortarpod
4 etched champion
4 emancipation angel

4 dispatch
4 oblivion ring

10 more equipment, I would go with lots of good and multipurpose stuff.
(or 6 more equip and 4 remember the fallen)

1 batterskull the pricey bit you really really want.
1 argentum armor alternate way of removing stubborn threats
1 Umezawa's Jitte best 2 cmc equip
1 lightning greaves best shroud equip
1 infiltration lens
1 skullclamp
1 ring of thune
1 bonesplitter
1 ogre's cleaver
1 ronin warclub

17 plains
4 ancient den

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Sign In to post comments