barefoottourguide's "Threat Detected" Podcast Has Inspired Me to Run DoD

Garrett's podcast "Threat Detected" has inspired me to run Dawn of Defiance, finally, for my gaming group.  I know, it's been a long time coming, and I always figured I'd get to it eventually, but now just seemed to be the time, thanks to Threat Detected, which has helped keep Dawn of Defiance in tune with the zeitgeist of the Star Wars gaming community even after all these years. 

I even made myself a little montage, borrowing pukunui's picture of Admiral Varth as the centerpieice, for the cover of my printout of Traitor's Gambit:

I understand this makes me a Johnny-come-lately to this subforum, but I'm proud to finally join the ranks of the illustrious forum members who have kept it vibrant and alive.  I'm eager to bask in the knowledge and advice born of your collective experience with DoD in helping me run this campaign to its fullest potential.
FAN-MADE SAGA ED. ADVENTURES Scores of free, fan-made Star Wars adventures for Saga Ed. ●DATHOMIR FIELD GUIDE A Saga Ed. sourcebook for adventures set on Dathomir ●LIVE ACTION FILM CHARACTERS SOURCEBOOK Saga stats for hundreds of characters from the live action films ●"ALL-PURPOSE" SAGA EDITION SOURCEBOOK Saga stats for NPCs, droids, ships/vehicles, weapons/gear, etc. ●SAGA EDITION SPECIES SOURCEBOOK Official & fan-made Saga stats for your favorite species ●THE CENTRALITY: A SAGA EDITION GUIDE AND GAZETTEER As featured in The Lando Calrissian Adventures ●THE CORPORATE SECTOR SOURCEBOOK As featured in Brian Daley's Han Solo novels and original edition of the Star Wars RPG ●SAGA EDITION CRIB SHEETS Various fan-made Saga Ed. Crib Sheets for players & GMs
Well, it's been a long time but just off hand i'd advise you of something in part 2 (i think?) when the characters first rescue and awake Master Denia, she says something that  conflicts with her back-story; hopefully this vague advice will be enough for you to avoid that error.

You sure have helped me out a few times on these boards so i figured i better throw those two creds in there at least.

It's hard to believe thats all i've got right now, as we did complete the entire campaign....hopefully i can offer more later.

Okay, I'll be on the lookout for that.  Thanks, Yarroq.  Can you give me any hint what it is?  Or is it somewhat obvious when I read the stuff?
FAN-MADE SAGA ED. ADVENTURES Scores of free, fan-made Star Wars adventures for Saga Ed. ●DATHOMIR FIELD GUIDE A Saga Ed. sourcebook for adventures set on Dathomir ●LIVE ACTION FILM CHARACTERS SOURCEBOOK Saga stats for hundreds of characters from the live action films ●"ALL-PURPOSE" SAGA EDITION SOURCEBOOK Saga stats for NPCs, droids, ships/vehicles, weapons/gear, etc. ●SAGA EDITION SPECIES SOURCEBOOK Official & fan-made Saga stats for your favorite species ●THE CENTRALITY: A SAGA EDITION GUIDE AND GAZETTEER As featured in The Lando Calrissian Adventures ●THE CORPORATE SECTOR SOURCEBOOK As featured in Brian Daley's Han Solo novels and original edition of the Star Wars RPG ●SAGA EDITION CRIB SHEETS Various fan-made Saga Ed. Crib Sheets for players & GMs
She says something that she should have no way of knowing seeing as how she wasnt awake during that time/event.Possibly about order 66? Anyway,  an error by the writers and editor(s).  Sorry I'm being cryptic but I dont have the adventure in front of me...maybe i should track it down and DL it...
Hey Rob, make sure to check out the Enhancing DoD threads as there is a lot of invaluable information posted there for GM's. I've recently finished my campaign and although it was great fun there is certainly a few things the designers hadn't ironed out before publication.
-Excellent. Rise, Lord Eli, newest Hand of Karsus...
Eli!  Good to see you back, brother.

Yes, I've been reading all the threads in this forum, particularly the "Enhancing" ones.  They're very helpful and entertaining.

So, how long did it take you and your group to finish the whole campaign?

Of the things the designers failed to "iron out," what sticks out most in your head? 

What, after all this time, after you've completed the campaign, sticks in your mind as something that you'd do differently if you were to run DoD again?

Here's an example of something that troubled this particular DoD participant...the continuity error of having a Nebulon-B in the game:

You can justify it all you like, but it simply wasn't necessary to use, for example, a Nebulon-B in the Dawn of Defiance campaign. They could have written up a new ship, or developed a Nebulon-A, or whatever other creative solution they wanted. Using the Nebulon-B, which had been well-established as rolling off the lines over at least a decade later, is sloppy writing, no more and no less. Why would you intentionally create a continuity error?

What I'll probably do is just reskin the Nebulon-B as a "Nebulon-A" (still using the same stats, though).

Looking back, what things stick out to you most that you would change?
Eli!  Good to see you back, brother.

Yes, I've been reading all the threads in this forum, particularly the "Enhancing" ones.  They're very helpful and entertaining.

So, how long did it take you and your group to finish the whole campaign?

Good to see you getting stuck in to DoD Rob, It took my group about 2 years game time (although we kinda had a break for 2 years in the middle as well) playing roughly once a week for about 4 hour sessions. We are probably a bit slower than the average group with healthy doses of side-quests and background adventuring going on around the main quest line. I imagine one could get through it much quicker (2-4 sessions per adventure maybe)

Of the things the designers failed to "iron out," what sticks out most in your head?

For me the nature of it's publication meant that some quite important plot points and continuity didn't link up, not to mention the xp decifit and some rather tacky dialogue. Personally I find understanding the npc's motives and how their actions fit into the wider universe helps me as a GM greatly but dawn of defiance had a lot of areas which there was simply no explanation.

For instance: The Draco/Denia/Holocron plot was completely underdeveloped and required a fair bit of research and creativity to explain to myself (and ultimately the players). The 2 year break we had gave me a chance to work on these details as the adventures slowly came out until I was happy enough I could slot the npcs, plots and history into the setting with a greater degree of versimiltude.   

Secondly, Destinies were really not showcased enough and peter off towards the end with no real resolution or explanation.  

I'd go into the changes and developments I made in more detail but that might be best in another post if you are interested.  

What, after all this time, after you've completed the campaign, sticks in your mind as something that you'd do differently if you were to run DoD again?

If I could do it over again I would start weaving the mysteries and plots in earlier. When I started only the first few adventures were out so I had scant idea of how things were going to plan out and had to just trust the designers would deliver. I'm pretty happy with how the second half went but it would have been much better to be able to work on the whole story instead of just an episode by episode process like it was in the beginning.

Here's an example of something that troubled this particular DoD participant...the continuity error of having a Nebulon-B in the game:

You can justify it all you like, but it simply wasn't necessary to use, for example, a Nebulon-B in the Dawn of Defiance campaign. They could have written up a new ship, or developed a Nebulon-A, or whatever other creative solution they wanted. Using the Nebulon-B, which had been well-established as rolling off the lines over at least a decade later, is sloppy writing, no more and no less. Why would you intentionally create a continuity error?

What I'll probably do is just reskin the Nebulon-B as a "Nebulon-A" (still using the same stats, though).

Looking back, what things stick out to you most that you would change?

There are lots of minor details like that which I altered and updated (I kept seperate files for every episode for all the updates I had to make), which although they are small they can certainly be good places to showcase new technologies and the evolution the Republic/Empire is going through. Dawn of Defiance is quite a unique campaign in that it is set in a highly transitional period of the the galaxy where democracy and the 'enlightened' society of the past is rapidly and insidiously replaced by a totalitarian and fascist regime....but rather than through conquest or great upheavel the change occurs in a far more worrying and inevitable fashion. This growing sense of hoplessness and the realisation you are facing a truly monolithic foe really kicks in amid the latter half.

A satisfying campaign in the end but certainly unpolished and even sloppy in places. MasterStarider's extra encounters in DoD 7 and 9 are invaluable additions which I would suggest you add if possible. I'm toying with writing up my changes and notes for others to use at the moment.

Good Luck Rob!
Thanks, Eli.  Yes, please, do post those thoughts in the appropriate places, wherever you see fit.  I'd be very interested in reading them.  Even if you wanted to post them in this thread, that's fine.  I suppose as long as we're discussing running DoD, there's no way to derail this thread.
Due to scheduling conflicts, our monthly (canon) DoD session has been delayed two weeks.  Can't wait 'til the 17th, when Sirona Okeefe will be delivering the PCs and their frozen cargo to Bail Organa!
Hey Rob, any more word on your campaign?