Suggestions on a defender(?).

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
CharOP, we meet again.

In a party of Invoker, Avenger and Fighter, the fighter (me) is two death saving throws or three damage away from an untimely, cold and lonely death. Underestimated half a dozen of undead with auras, not fun at all. The DM would off me right there, but he tried to help (feeling a bit bad as he missed me once in the whole session), and now i am in the above condition.

The condition being as it is, i may need a new character. The group needs a defender, but one that can have a decent to good damage output, as our Avenger has a tendensy of either getting ganked or having incredibly bad luck (i think we suck at positioning/tactical play, but that is another matter).

So, what would you suggest for a defender that is interesting (RP-wise and mechanically-wise) and can hit hard?

Thanks in advance.

If I don't trust the leader in my party to make smart choices, I play a rageblood fighter (basically a modified version of Tank 3.0, which is floating around the forums somewhere), which also has decent damage output.  Another consideration would be the straladin archetype that was discussed some time back if you're seeing a lot of undead, since their HolyRad would make you that much more effective.  What level is your campaign?
A paladin would help support and contribute to any radiant synergies that your avenger and invoker may or may not have going. If you are in paragon tier a paladin|warlord/sainted general certainly fits the bill. There is a build called "sainted justice" floating aorund on this board, just search for it for details.

We are currently at level 6, halfway through. As i mentioned i would like not to build another fighter.

We are currently at level 6, halfway through. As i mentioned i would like not to build another fighter.

I stand by my suggestion above: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

This thing will deal significant damage, albeit by proxy. And if you can talk your team into some radiant vunerability exploitation you will be a wrecking crew comes paragon.

At level 13 Battleminds are top damage dealers with Brutal Barrage, but level 13 is far...

Still, take a look here, maybe you are interested.
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/25680621/Achilles_-_a_Battlemind_Build

Berserker can be an option, is a striker / defender class, you start defending and then you switch to striker, and you have the barbarian arsenal of powers / feats / PPs. They dont have che CharOP blessing but they are a well rounded class, with good flavor, and you will enjoy it.
Sapphire - Swormage Dragon Guardian - Dont touch my allies build. Swordmage / Sigil Carver / Draconic incarnation The Holy Slayer - A Striker - Defender Fighter | Cleric / Barbarian - Paragon of Victory WEREBEAR BATTLEMIND: You wont go where you want. - A Battlemind (Druid) / Unbound Nomad / Topaz Crusader

I stand by my suggestion above: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

This thing will deal significant damage, albeit by proxy. And if you can talk your team into some radiant vunerability exploitation you will be a wrecking crew comes paragon.

Or a straight up Charisma Paladin. High Defenses, Radiant Damage and secondary leader.
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Check out the inexhaustible dragon sovereign build.

If you want a defender, Paladin seems like a wise choice, since you don't have a leader. Also covers Charisma, which is a weak stat for your group. Or maybe a hybrid of some sort, Paladin|Cleric could be interesting to stick with the divine/radiant theme for your group and still cover charisma.
If you want a defender, Paladin seems like a wise choice, since you don't have a leader. Also covers Charisma, which is a weak stat for your group. Or maybe a hybrid of some sort, Paladin|Cleric could be interesting to stick with the divine/radiant theme for your group and still cover charisma.

I second this. If you don't go the CHA route you could do a Goliath Paladin|Cleric(Str/Wis) MC(Battle Awarness) Fighter with a touch of Charisma. 16+2/12/10/8/16+2/12. Get yourself a Fullblade and Battle Cleric's Lore. Add in Bless Weapon and Power of Strength for some damage on your Holy Strike and just find some way to create your own Radiant Vulnerabilities and away you go. This sounds so good(if it works as well as i think it would) that i may need to ditch my idea of building a Swordmage and build this guy.

The Avenger SHOULD have good defenses, if the Invoker is Wrathful I might be tempted to go with a straight up Battle Cleric w/ BCL, Fullblade and the Guardian Theme, otherwise a Cleric/Paladin hybrid. The Avenger should be able to do some light defending also and Wrathful Invokers have enough surges to access.