What are the best decks in standard?

107 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've just started playing again and would like to know what will I be up against. Furthermore, how does the switch from M12 to M13 impact these decks? (nevermind, I thought M12 was rotating out sooner than October. I didn't know we will have both M12 and M13 for two whole months. That's nuts!)

Lastly, what deck would you recommend I use, and if I were to make a rogue deck, is monoblack good or should I go with something else?
The Tier decks right now are basically UW Delver (other funky variations are currently in the 'finding out they're not as good' phase), Naya/RG aggro/Pod, and BR or BU Zombies.  UW Delver is tempo based aggro-control that uses cheap, redundant answers to protect little efficient beaters.  Naya is a value Birthing Pod deck that blows you out with Bonfire of the Damned, and RG is just the faster angrier version.  Zombies are a mono-colored aggro plan with insane reach in the lategame via Blood Artist.

As for what you might want to play, if you like mono black, it would be a fine choice now.  It's actually shaping up pretty nicely, and there's a pretty decent discussion in the Tier 2 section.

Catowner's suggestion is also perfectly decent.  You get a pretty decent pool of aggro-ish Fish cards right now, and with counterspells, you might not even die to Bonfire.  Woooo!

catowner wrote:
Welcome to 2012. Blue has the most efficient creatures, black has the all-in monocolored aggro deck, the most controlling deck in the format is green-red, control decks lose to aggro in attrition wars, and counterspells aren't an answer to fatties.
Islands wrote:
Pack Rat is like Bitterblossom and Tarmogoyf had a black baby.
What about "solar flare"?
What about "solar flare"?

It's an Esper control deck with emphasis on graveyard shenanigans. Key combo is Sun Titan+Phantasmal Image/Ratchet Bomb/Ghost Quarter. Once the Titan lands, it's game. Occasionally it busts through a hole in the metagame, but far too often it just fails to deliver. Fun as hell to pilot, though.
How are W/G human aggro decks doing?
UW Delver is the top deck in the format, but people are exploring UG and UGW.

UW Midrange is the best "Control" deck.

There are a couple of Zombies builds, but the best is probably RB.

There's also Naya Pod, or Naya Aggro.

Mono-Green decks are on the rise, due to Rancor. 
G/W Aggro isn't bad, which I guess can almost constitute as "humans"

But yah, you have:

Delver (U/x)
Naya (Pod/Aggro/Midrange
R/G Aggro
Solar Flar
Zombies
Mono-Green (Aggro/Elves)
Humans (W/x)
Midrange (W/U or Esper)
56735468 wrote:
Residual energetic and psychic emenations from the spark of planewalkers going in and out of the blind eternities like it was a windmill eventually coalesced into beings named eldrazi who by their very nature could not consume mundane sources of nourishment to sustain their existence.
Elves is also GW, and will be rising in popularity after the recent SCG open. People like Elves, and will play them when given a chance.

(at)MrEnglish22

Catowner is trolling you. He does that.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

Zombies is a solid deck that will be largely the same after rotations.

(at)MrEnglish22

You guys and your esper, naya, etc
which one is esper again?

I must never use the terms boros, golgari, etc ever again. It never occurred to me how confusing it must be for new players. On the other hand we're "returning to Ravnica" so everyone will know about those names once again.

at one time we just said RGW and that worked fine but now apparently everyone says "Naya" :p
weird
Which one is esper?
For me 9/10 times on MTGO it's turn 1 birds of paradise means Esper control.
Esper is Black Blue White. So a turn one birds is out of color for esper...
White
Black
Blue
Green
Red
RW - Boros
RB - Rakdos
RG - Gruul
RU - Izzet
UG - Simic
UW - Azorius
UB - Dimir
GW - Selesnya
GB - Golgari
BW - Orzhov
BUW - Esper
BRU - Grixis
BRG - Jund
GRW - Naya
WUG - Bant

Unsure of the names of the enemy coloured shards.
Photobucket
guys I just lost to some deck that used fog effects every turn.
Scapcaster Mage to keep replaiyng them.
2G enchantment with Howling Mine and Exploration effect.
And he milled out my deck.

Is that a turbofog deck I heard about?
it's not a tier deck? it seemed pretty good. Well I guess it relies on the opponent using strictly combat damage to win.

it's not a tier deck? it seemed pretty good. Well I guess it relies on the opponent using strictly combat damage to win.

Yep that'd be a turbofog variant.  Certainly isn't tier but if you expect a ton of aggro at your local stomping grounds then it's quite an amusing deck to play.  I don't know if there are any generally accepted 'best' variants but I tested one out a few times against naya pod and zombies...ran about 14 fog effects, Snapcasters, 2 Gideon Jura, 2 Jace, Memory Adept, 2 Elixir of Immortality, 4 Rites of Flourishing (which you alluded to), and a few wrath effects.

Interestingly enough, in bant colors and with my setup I could actually make a 15 card sideboard that mostly all comes in postboard against control decks and gives me a fighting chance, since you obviously shouldn't be siding anything more in against aggro.

Well Howling Mine means he isn't Standard-legal.  But yes that is Turbo Fog.  With Safe Passage he can do the same to non-combat damage dealing decks. 
56735468 wrote:
Residual energetic and psychic emenations from the spark of planewalkers going in and out of the blind eternities like it was a windmill eventually coalesced into beings named eldrazi who by their very nature could not consume mundane sources of nourishment to sustain their existence.

Well Howling Mine means he isn't Standard-legal.  But yes that is Turbo Fog.  With Safe Passage he can do the same to non-combat damage dealing decks. 

He mentioned howling mine + explore effect, which is Rites of Flourishing as I mentioned above.
Turbo-fog is cute and fun, but isn't nearly as powerful as it once was (its heyday was during Shards of Alara block standard, where it had both Howling Mine and Font of Mythos, a double howling mine)

(at)MrEnglish22

Right now, the best decks are GR Beats and UW Delver (the same as they've been since Dark Ascension). There are lots of toys and variants to play with, but at the end of the day GR Beats and UW Delver are the "auto-builds" with enough card utility to get "free wins" even in games they have no business winning. People add Pod to their beats decks, or Pikes to their Delver decks, or other fun variants, but the format is very much so rooted in the decks full of "which creature holds a sword best".

If you broaden the question to "which decks are viable", however, the answer becomes "anything that doesn't inherently suck", control is here, just not in a big way, combo hangs around, but nothing particularly easy comes up. WolfRun variants and Token decks are still good, but they aren't nearly as good at using swords and 1f1 trades to push their opponents out of the game. Mono-Black is very good, but gets the blues from Swords and Strangleroot Geists. Dungrove is very good, but it doesn't stop flying swords as well as it would like. And it goes so on and so forth. You should play whatever you like playing most (provided that it's functional.) but be prepared for unfair things to happen, because they can, and will.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)

Show

White
Black
Blue
Green
Red
RW - Boros
RB - Rakdos
RG - Gruul
RU - Izzet
UG - Simic
UW - Azorius
UB - Dimir
GW - Selesnya
GB - Golgari
BW - Orzhov
BUW - Esper
BRU - Grixis
BRG - Jund
GRW - Naya
WUG - Bant

they don't really have names like the others listed.  In general, UWR would be "america", GWB is more or less "junk", UGR is very often a type of deck labeled "good stuff" or "RUG", BUG is.... "BUG", and WRB rarely is a deck, so i doesn't have a name, but if you really wanted a clever name, you could go with "Oros" beause of this guy

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Show

White
Black
Blue
Green
Red
RW - Boros
RB - Rakdos
RG - Gruul
RU - Izzet
UG - Simic
UW - Azorius
UB - Dimir
GW - Selesnya
GB - Golgari
BW - Orzhov
BUW - Esper
BRU - Grixis
BRG - Jund
GRW - Naya
WUG - Bant

they don't really have names like the others listed.  In general, UWR would be "america", GWB is more or less "junk", UGR is very often a type of deck labeled "good stuff" or "RUG", BUG is.... "BUG", and WRB rarely is a deck, so i doesn't have a name, but if you really wanted a clever name, you could go with "Oros" beause of this guy

Some people call WRB "Italia" because of the Team Italia deck that became popular in Legacy.

Oh, and I want to point out that Naya Pod is definitely worth playing. 

(at)MrEnglish22

I was at SCG DC.  It was six million "Bonfire you," "No, Bonfire you!" mirrors flanked by Trading Post players gumming up the draw brackets. 

Although I must say, format diversity is at least illusorily decent right now.  Obviously still a solid core of Naya/Ux Delver/Zombies, but people are experimenting with the card pool now that we're in the summer. 

From what I could tell, UW Delver is pretty well repressed.  I was on it for lack of another deck, and was X-4, so.  It's no less powerful, but the ground is too jammed up for Geist of Saint Traft to keep the deck as aggressive as it wants to be.  The more grindy Mono Blue Wizards is evidently the blue deck to beat, barring strange innovations to UW (Spectral Flight again?).

*Edit, open mouth insert foot.

So frankly I think I'm just gonna play Turbo Fog for a couple weeks until I feel I've exacted my vengeance on everyone else's combat step.  I have a list that actually works.  If it can make Br Zombies look stupid, I feel pretty good about it.

catowner wrote:
Welcome to 2012. Blue has the most efficient creatures, black has the all-in monocolored aggro deck, the most controlling deck in the format is green-red, control decks lose to aggro in attrition wars, and counterspells aren't an answer to fatties.
Islands wrote:
Pack Rat is like Bitterblossom and Tarmogoyf had a black baby.

Tell me more. If I were to shell out for a netdeck I need a reason. Otherwise I might as well pick at random.

And any specific build I should go for?
you're better off saving your money for now or just buy good cards from M13/innistrad block since rotation is only a couple months away.  many top level decks rely on a lot of cards from scars block, so it isn't worth the investment.  of course if that doesn't concern you, then if you consider yourself a good player, UW delver is definitely still probably the overall best deck to play.

otherwise, just pick up good cards for now and play makeshift decks with good cards until rotation when you can get much more serious as we'll all be "starting fresh"

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

Photobucket

It will take too much time to learn this format inside and out so maybe I will just take it easy until the rotation.

Tell me more. If I were to shell out for a netdeck I need a reason. Otherwise I might as well pick at random.

And any specific build I should go for?

I'd suggest a build but with rotation so close, I don't think it's a good idea to build the deck to only play it for less than 2 months.

With that, the only decks that I think will be carrying over with rotation will be Delver and Zombie variants, and 'maybe' Goblins and Mono-Green. 
56735468 wrote:
Zombies will survive rotation, and is presently very strong. If you like Aggro, go with that.
If you want suggestions on what cards to buy for rotation, here's my list of trading aquisitions currently:

Bonefire of the Damned (dur)
Entreat the Angels
Gravecrawlers
Geralf's Messenger
Tibalt (!)
Battle of Wits
Serra's Avenger

That's about it. Its all over the place, but I'm mostly only focusing on the cards I expect to rise after rotation by a decent amount.

But R/G aggro should be a fine deck to build - Bonfire will continue to be a powerful card, Thragtusk and Strangleroot Geist aren't going anywhere, and Thundermaw Hellkite's price shouldn't change too much. 

(at)MrEnglish22

If you want suggestions on what cards to buy for rotation, here's my list of trading aquisitions currently:

Bonefire of the Damned (dur)
Entreat the Angels
Gravecrawlers
Geralf's Messenger
Tibalt (!)
Battle of Wits
Serra's Avenger

That's about it. Its all over the place, but I'm mostly only focusing on the cards I expect to rise after rotation by a decent amount.

But R/G aggro should be a fine deck to build - Bonfire will continue to be a powerful card, Thragtusk and Strangleroot Geist aren't going anywhere, and Thundermaw Hellkite's price shouldn't change too much. 

Bonfire of the Damned and Serra's Avenger are no-nos on that list. Bonfire is currently sitting at 5x it's "new set" value, so the odds are that it's on the waning portion of it's lifespan, and it's a good time to cash them in. When the format is done being a game of "who wears the best sword", it's worth is likely to plummet fairly hard into a troph during the late year.

Avenger is a sweet card, but unlikely to jump in value as it's been printed 3 times, isn't exactly a chase "put me in everything" card, and is stuck to a niche group of white decks (think of why Geralf's Messenger isn't very hard to get)

Entreat is also pretty niche, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's value sank further.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
I will be extremely surprised if Bonfire ever drops below $20 while it's in Standard.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

Bonfire of the Damned and Serra's Avenger are no-nos on that list. Bonfire is currently sitting at 5x it's "new set" value, so the odds are that it's on the waning portion of it's lifespan, and it's a good time to cash them in. When the format is done being a game of "who wears the best sword", it's worth is likely to plummet fairly hard into a troph during the late year.

Avenger is a sweet card, but unlikely to jump in value as it's been printed 3 times, isn't exactly a chase "put me in everything" card, and is stuck to a niche group of white decks (think of why Geralf's Messenger isn't very hard to get)

Entreat is also pretty niche, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's value sank further.

I couldn't disagree more about Bonfire.  This card will struggle to drop for its entire lifespan in Standard.

Also, Messengers will start to become harder to get once RTR comes out.  If you think about it, you'll know why. 
56735468 wrote:
... a niche group of white decks...

I lol'd.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

dont' forget snapcaster mage from a list of good cards to get.  snap should basically not lose value, it really can only go up, i would think.

tragtusk in green.. thragtusk is sick.  about as bland a statement as possible for it.

land cards are always safe bets, and planeswalkers CAN be good to pick up, but not all of them (TIBALT = EPIC FAIL). 

Photobucket

Snapcaster is a fine grab, but I generally have been avoiding them because its usually more trouble than its worth to get people to trade them at their current value. Thragtusk I'd be fine getting at 10-15, if anyone were actually trading theirs. Tibalt I like picking up because its only at 3-4 USD, so its a minimal investment for a card I expect to become a key player in RTR (with Rakdos)

And Wynzer, I just have to disagree with your assessment. Bonfires might drop below their 40 dollar mark they are at currently, but you have to keep in mind that AVR wasn't opened nearly as much as other sets were (it was a highly unpopular draft format) 

Avengers are another in that "little to lose but tons to gain" cards. They currently go for anywhere between 1 and 3 USD depending on where you shop, and the Avenger is a powerful card that will fit in with Tempo decks post-rotation.
Geralf's Messengers are rather hard to pick up in my area (zombies is popular, and even though I always pick up the Zombies I can, I never can hold on to them for more than a week) and it'll only get worse with Golgari/Rakdos.

Also, you notice how you called both Entreat and Avenger niche white cards? Yeah. Maybe there might be a trend there. 

I could always be wrong, but I've been right far more often than I've been wrong on this sort of thing.

(at)MrEnglish22

i believe wizards has gone on record stating that the old key words from ravnica are not going to be used again, so hellbent probably isn't going to be a thing again.  its not to say tibalt and rakdos might not work in some fashion, just that you probably shouldn't count on the use of the hellbent mechanic.

Photobucket

i believe wizards has gone on record stating that the old key words from ravnica are not going to be used again, so hellbent probably isn't going to be a thing again.  its not to say tibalt and rakdos might not work in some fashion, just that you probably shouldn't count on the use of the hellbent mechanic.

Oh, I know they said that. But I find it hard to believe that Rakdos won't have some sort of discard mechanic. Worst case scenario? I got a playset or two of a 3-4 dollar card and sit on it until about two years after AVR rotates.

(at)MrEnglish22

Remember that Thrag is in an event deck.

Its still strong enough to be worth 10-15. Yeva is in a into deck and the foils are still worth 8.

(at)MrEnglish22

Its still strong enough to be worth 10-15. Yeva is in a into deck and the foils are still worth 8.

Not disagreeing on that point, but I would expect it to drop over time.

And Wynzer, I just have to disagree with your assessment. Bonfires might drop below their 40 dollar mark they are at currently, but you have to keep in mind that AVR wasn't opened nearly as much as other sets were (it was a highly unpopular draft format)

The problem with assessing Bonfire's worth is the format it has been in. It's arguably one of the strongest Fireballs ever, but it only outright wins games that hinge on sticking weenie creatures (because it's Wrath, and a one sided one at that), It's value is trememdously bloated, and now isn't the time to obtain your playset if you missed them on the way in. Also, if RtR isn't as heavily a "creature block" as Innistrad and it effects constructed decks, Bonfire will lose quite a bit of it's game ending power. Point being that Bonfire is a card, and one to consider, but our Bonfire format is likely a wash that will slow down in October.
Sign In to post comments