Where do you buy your MTG singles?

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey all,

Just wondering where you buy your MTG cards?  I used to buy singles from my local stores, and go through the binders to find the sigles I needed.  I found they often would inflate prices based on demand (Such as charging 2 bucks for a Ponder or Dark Ritual).  Also digging through commons was very time consuming. 

I find I've saved a lot buying online, I recently placed a few orders with Face to Face games and had a pretty good experience with them.  On average they're $1 or more cheaper for rares than local stores, and ship for $.95 in Canada.  Anyway, I think I'm buying online from now on, seems like the way to go.  I don't like having to dig through binders and have a bunch of people crowding around while I'm trying to shop.  An order for just over $20 would have cost me $38 at my local store after I priced it out.

No I don't work for them, just saying I had a good experience, pretty happy with their prices, and they got my cards shipped in 5 business days.  If you're interested in this type of thing, check them out at www.facetofacegames.com

Anyone know of any other good vendors?
141434757 wrote:
Thread is so legit it's unbelievable, lol. Though I'm interested in knowing what gain there is to fish here. No, foreign prince, I will not invest in your grand profitable banking corporation.
I've always bought most of my singles online and traded for others, rarely will I buy from the local store since they tend to overprice with the small competition they have, but lucky for me, face à face (face to face) is only a 30 minute drive and they have very good price as they keep the same prices online and in the shop and offer "come pick it up" option for an online order.

As for boosters for drafts (private drafts, that's the only reason why I'd buy a booster, hate chance games), I buy them from local stores, even if I barely participate to their events, I'd rather pay oh-so-slightly more (0 to 5$ more) to a local store than to give my money to walmart and the likes.
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
I typically only buy singles from my local game store. It also happens to be an online store as well ABUgames.com. Their prices are a bit high but overall not bad. I despise waiting for cards in the mail so it's a easier for me to just go buy them there. Not to mention I sell cards back to them or just get store credit instead of packs from FNM. Plus if I really want to they sell packs from every set, not just the current ones like some stores. 
When I first started collecting again (random packs) I bought from Troll & Toad with no complaints.

The longer I've been playing and focusing on Modern & Standard competitive (thus mostly buying singles or cheap common/uncommon playsets) the more I've just been using a combination of Ebay (cheapest option especially if you're patient) and store credit from FNM top-4s.
ebay onry
Local shops, mostly because if I come up with a deck- I want the cards to play in the least amount of time.
And because I can spend store credit on the cards, which is so much easier as well!
Always right, 102% of the time.
I've started using e-bay more and more. My local shop only has so much so when they dont have Darksteel Colossus I do turn to e-bay.
Online sources are often cheaper and certainly have just what I want.

That said, I enjoy the time-consuming browsing of boxes for "bargains" and enjoy supporting the local store - after all, it is where we play and they need to make rent somehow.

Then again, if I am not buying for a specific deck, I am buying because a card is generally useful in multiple applications or a nontraveling acquaintance is looking for one and I am the middle man.  I keep multiple decks and despise floating cards between them, so having 3-8 playsets of cards (mostly common and uncommon) works for me.

Cheers!

A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
tcgplayer.com just because it does price comparisons

one local store, but the problem is I live in Germany right now and I don't want cards printed in German

They offer english cards, but they don't always have what I want. I haven't tried other local stores yet , just a few.
U.S Army Vet, Mother & Wife, Pre-med student, Tatted/Pierced, Avid fantasy novel reader, Doodler/Photoshop-er of random things etc etc... I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
Local store, online stores, and ebay. It depends what cards I need. I get middle value cards at the store, I order cheap rares, uncommons and commons from online stores, and I get the expensive stuff on ebay.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
Mostly Magic Card Market. It has decent prices if you search long enough (and live in Europe).
I find that Amazon has great prices and low shipping costs. Granted, you're buying from third-party dealers, but it is a convient way to price shop multiple dealers at once as Amazon does the work for you, only showing the lowest price available.
Do you find people ebay mythics/Rares far cheaper than online stores?
141434757 wrote:
Thread is so legit it's unbelievable, lol. Though I'm interested in knowing what gain there is to fish here. No, foreign prince, I will not invest in your grand profitable banking corporation.
I find eBay to be slightly cheaper, but not by a substantial amount.  
@LupaCupcake - Have you ever used www.trader-online.de/? I've used them for sets and a few singles and had no problems with mailing from Germany to the UK, they carry english and german cards.

Depends what I'm after.
I try to buy a complete set for EDH purposes and will hunt around ebay or use www.trolltradercards.com/.

Singles will see me searching the UK online stores and ebay.

www.totalwargamer.co.uk/ have favourable prices for singles and they have a nice reverse-shopping basket system for pricing up your tradeins. It also helps that I can stop into the shop on the way to/from work.

I have occaisionally bought things from the US and Canada, but UK Customs have a habit of slapping a hefty charge on the package and it ends up being as expensive as having bought it in the UK in the first place, which would have also been quicker So, I have learnt my lesson and I now try to keep large orders within the UK or Europe or keep the value from the US/Canada small.      
I find eBay to be slightly cheaper, but not by a substantial amount.  

Well I did win an auction for a Tezzeret off Ebay, but after shipping I only saved maybe $1.50

I suppose if you have the patience, you could save a marginal amount on ebay, but I prefer to do all my shopping in 1 go.

www.facetofacegames.com/

Great site, they've delivered 2 orders now, saved me probably about $50 in singles, and have got the shipments out relatively quickly.  I think I'm doing all my shopping for singles on their site from now on.  I think I have 3 more orders on the way.  They also delivered 2 orders to New Brunswick for my Nephew.

141434757 wrote:
I've looked around and this is my find.  Cardhaus.com has the biggest selection of cards that I've seen. 
(granted I have never heard of face to face untill now)
However I have found that capefeargames.com usully has the cheapest cards up to the new stuff. 
For the new stuff I've had good expierences with MtgFanatic.com
Everyonce in awhile when price shopping I find others, but those are usally the main 3 sites I use.
While I have purchased online in the past, anymore I keep my purchases to the local stores.

It is true the better variety and prices are available online, but online cannot give me a fun place to play Magic (or other games).  So I spend my money at my FLGS to help keep them open, which in turn broadens my play experience.

Besides, I find enjoyment in combing through cards and having that "aha!" moment when I find that precise card I have been seeking.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
Trollandtoad for large bulk/over 10 dollar orders. Amazon for smaller orders.

I generally just trade. I'd buy from my LGS if they didn't use starcity prices which I find grossly overpriced. I cannot justify paying a 25-50% (sometimes even double or triple price) mark up even if I like the shop.
I try to support my local game stores, I'm lucky enough to have two nearby both run by good owners. When they can't get what I need I'll look online
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.