July Errata: The Lightning Cracks (Lightning Fury Nerfed)

66 posts / 0 new
Last post
www.wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx?x=dnd/u...

Ayup, that says it all. Sorcerers need new PPs. Mantle of Unity got slightly nerfed too but it survived. The important thing though is that Storm Sorcerers got mostly destroyed.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Lost the Scion of Sacrifice loop as well.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Destroyed for good reason.

Forced movement cheese is an abomination.  It should not have existed, it shouldn't exist, and it should be removed.

Now, I'd love it if they gave the sorc, and a bunch of other classes for that matter, nifty things that let them compete with the damage kings.

But the extreme outliers?  Yeah, they deserve to be nerfed.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I had to look up what battle blessing is.  The power still doesn't work right since its an interrupt instead of a reaction.  And even if they fixed that is wouldn't be that good.

So now if you or your ally makes an OA with an implement power, then use can use an interupt to add extra damage to that.
Forced movement cheese was awesome, now I am sad and my Sorcerer cannot compete with the other striker in the party. This errata gets two thumbs down.
I had to look up what battle blessing is.  The power still doesn't work right since its an interrupt instead of a reaction.  And even if they fixed that is wouldn't be that good.

So now if you or your ally makes an OA with an implement power, then use can use an interupt to add extra damage to that.

It has to be an interupt.  Reaction to an OA would be too late.

Not that it's a quality power outside of say... Thought Switch, or a perma-stealth build.  And even then  it's probably not enough damage to make it worth while.

Mabey with Hidden Opportunity + Lorekeeper with a bugbear/eternal defender swinging a massive |W|.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

It could be a reaction to hitting with an OA, instead of interrupt for targetting with an OA. 

Even then I probably wouldn't take it since its only going to be about 6.5 damage assuming the OA hits and it uses your immediate action for the round and avengers can do a lot better with their immediates.
People actually abused Lightning Fury in real play?
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
In most games we play, we pretty much assume such damage from aura's, zones, and other effects are implied to be once per turn even if there hasn't been errata on it yet. Even at LFR tables which are run closer to RAW than most home games, it's sort of an unspoken agreement. I have only ever seen 1 db who had a pre-errata combo going that killed 1-2 creatures a turn with it that sucked the fun out of everyone else, and the DM was being a push over.

"Storm Sorcerers got mostly destroyed" is a bit harsh. What DM's didn't allow them to do, is now not allowed by RAW, that is all. Extra 2d6+Dex damage as a level 16 feature is still quite strong, and no reason to drop the PP. A little bit of teamplay nets you even more damage on your allies' turns.
In most games we play, we pretty much assume such damage from aura's, zones, and other effects are implied to be once per turn even if there hasn't been errata on it yet. Even at LFR tables which are run closer to RAW than most home games, it's sort of an unspoken agreement. I have only ever seen 1 db who had a pre-errata combo going that killed 1-2 creatures a turn with it that sucked the fun out of everyone else, and the DM was being a push over.

"Storm Sorcerers got mostly destroyed" is a bit harsh. What DM's didn't allow them to do, is now not allowed by RAW, that is all. Extra 2d6+Dex damage as a level 16 feature is still quite strong, and no reason to drop the PP. A little bit of teamplay nets you even more damage on your allies' turns.

What literally every Striker does without any setup, a Storm Sorc couldn't do with massive slides and big vulns. I actually had a chance to see this for myself repeatedly: even after being blessed with a Strand of Fate from a friendly leader, the Sorc couldn't crack the numbers of one of my barbarians. If you can't even beat a wacky build with your super PP, you shouldn't have to swap it out because it got nerfed.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
No, class balance should be fixed instead.

Multiattacks need to be toned back.  Static mods need to be toned back.  But now we're talking altering the core system math, and that's not an easy undertaking.
Meh, sorcerers suck at single target nova. They shine at multi-target damage. If you're trying to do all your damage to 1 target with a sorcerer, you're going to have a more difficult time than the barbarian or ranger, or whatever crazy single target multi-attack build you're trying to compare it to.

... and agree with Mand. It's not the sorc that's the problem, it's the single target multi-attack powers that are off the chart. But this is nothing new. DPR kings thread very clearly shows this.
Which is really sad, because wizards are better than multi-target blasting than sorcs.

Multiattacks need to be toned back.  Static mods need to be toned back.  But now we're talking altering the core system math, and that's not an easy undertaking.

+1.

But you would also have to scale back the monster HP.  It takes a bit of optimization to just keep pace.a free action 3 times per turn.

guides
Power
my builds

Mantle of Unity is still good enough to be a highly competitive choice.

RIP Super damage theoretical builds using Lightning Field.  We knew it was only a matter of time after the huge round of zone errata last time.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
But you would also have to scale back the monster HP.  It takes a bit of optimization to just keep pace.a free action 3 times per turn.

Or stop building level+2 encounters all day long, and stick with level equivalent. Things are pretty easy to adjust on the monster side.

+1.

But you would also have to scale back the monster HP.  It takes a bit of optimization to just keep pace.a free action 3 times per turn.

Well, since you're already going in and fixing monster attacks and defenses, you might as well chip a bit of HP off.

+1.

Well, since you're already going in and fixing monster attacks and defenses, you might as well chip a bit of HP off.

Well i suppose you could do the alteritive.

Multi-Attack Tax: You can split up any attack into a multi attack upto the number of damage dice rolled.  For instance, if you did 5d6+cha, you could attack 5 times at 1d6 damage each.

guides
Power
my builds

The real solution is to make Twin Strike do half damage per hit.  Same DPR as all the other ranger powers, only more flexibly and with lower chance for no damage at all and some protection against excessive overkill.  Well, same DPR plus the slightly increased chance for quarry damage. 

I guarantee you that when they designed Twin Strike, they thought the lack of an ability mod was sufficient to balance it.
Which is really sad, because wizards are better than multi-target blasting than sorcs.

This just isn't true.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Without forced movement cheese?

The fact that Flame Spiral is the best sorcerer encounter power (at level three) isn't a red flag to you that the design is wrong?
I never said the design wasn't wrong.
I actually like forced movement cheese now because it requires party op to be really effective. If only the sorcerer has forced movement, then flame spiral is just ok. 

This just isn't true.

Specific builds of Wizards, it is true. Wizards can have comparable static mods (behind by ~9 at Epic, at absolute most) while having higher accuracy and +1 to hit is worth more than 9 damage at that point. And that is just static numbers, totally ignoring that Wizards have better powers and feat support for the role of a blaster. Yes, you're restricted to one of two races, but, um, those races are awesome.

This just isn't true.

Specific builds of Wizards, it is true. Wizards can have comparable static mods (behind by ~9 at Epic, at absolute most) while having higher accuracy and +1 to hit is worth more than 9 damage at that point. And that is just static numbers, totally ignoring that Wizards have better powers and feat support for the role of a blaster. Yes, you're restricted to one of two races, but, um, those races are awesome.

Uh, no. You're behind by ~9 at epic only if you dont choose one of those two races. If you do, the difference is 4 or less and usually made up by one feat. 

That damage is irrelevant when compared with targetting advantages Wizard powers get and the now-ubiquitous 1/2 damage on a miss on their encounter powers.

....thats before you start comparing worthless dailys vs. Encounter enders...
....and that wizard powers tend to tack on some form of control effect...
....and.... 
The real solution is to make Twin Strike do half damage per hit.  Same DPR as all the other ranger powers, only more flexibly and with lower chance for no damage at all and some protection against excessive overkill.  Well, same DPR plus the slightly increased chance for quarry damage. 

I guarantee you that when they designed Twin Strike, they thought the lack of an ability mod was sufficient to balance it.

Are you suggesting they do this for all multi-attacking powers? If Twin Strike gets nerfed, then people will just move on to the next multi-attacking tactic. It would be silly to nerf only power when the whole system needs to be changed.
That forced movement zone cheese sure is more effective when you get more zones, and more forced movement because you're a wizard, eh?

Are you suggesting they do this for all multi-attacking powers? If Twin Strike gets nerfed, then people will just move on to the next multi-attacking tactic. It would be silly to nerf only power when the whole system needs to be changed.

Pretty much.  Almost.

I'm suggesting a complete overhaul of the way the attack structures work.  The point of the Twin Strike example was to demonstrate that multiattacks can still be useful yet not stupidly more powerful than any other option.  How you get to "not stupidly more powerful than any other option" is a much larger question, and certainly quartering Brutal Barrage is not the answer.

The most elegant solution I've seen is to rewrite the bonus rules so that a +1 bonus to damage rolls is applied per [W] in the case of weapon attacks, or per die in the case of implement attacks.  This would result in needing to completely overhaul the entire monster hitpoint system, but it would make it so that a 2[W] attack does as much damage as two 1[W] attacks. 

This is new-edition levels of changes, though, so it's not going to happen.  But it is worth thinking about as an amateur game designer.

This just isn't true.

Yep. Sorcerers are just fine, other than their crappy PPs.

This just isn't true.

Yep. Sorcerers are just fine, other than their crappy PPs.

What's wrong with the Essense Mage PP for Sorcerers?
Its mediocre at best?
While a complete overhaul of combat mechanics might be a good fix, let's get real - it's not going to happen.  A nice dragon article with a decent PP and some good encounters and dailies could go a long way... and that's something that might actually happen.

• So Mantle of Unity went from a Chernobyl option to a ... Fukushima option. Yay.

• Scion of Sacrifice nerf was sort of pointless considering it wasn't good enough to justify taking Ardent Vow for a long-term character in the first place.

• Poor Sorcerers lost their only decent Striker-based PP, even if it did need somewhat of a nerf.

Overall, pretty meh errata.

• So Mantle of Unity went from a Chernobyl option to a ... Fukushima option. Yay.

• Scion of Sacrifice nerf was sort of pointless considering it wasn't good enough to justify taking Ardent Vow for a long-term character in the first place.

• Poor Sorcerers lost their only decent Striker-based PP, even if it did need somewhat of a nerf.

Overall, pretty meh errata.

Is mantle of Unity still the u10 pick of choice in your opinion?
I think Illusory Erasure is now competitive, but I'd still give the edge to Mantle of Unity, yes. It's still one of the best utilities in the game.
Mantle of Unity is still crazy good for most parties. You just can't do Warlock's Wrath and then Mantle of Unity(among other silly kinds of temp boosting of defenses)
Even without that bonus/penalty thing, it's still great. I remember the look on my DM's face the first time I used it.
Its mediocre at best?

How so?
Its mediocre at best?

How so?

The bonuses it gives are really marginal?
Its mediocre at best?

How so?

The bonuses it gives are really marginal?

Are you not sure or are you just putting the question mark there to try to make yourself sound good?  Essence Mage gives you an extra 1d6 of damage on any arcane attack which has more than one damage type.  Arcane Admixture one of your at-wills and you are good.  When you spend an action point, you get a +4 bonus to arcane attack rolls until the start of your next turn.  At level 16, whenever you gain resistance, you increase it by 3 (4 at level 21.)

Those don't sound marginal.
Except Sorcerers don't optimize at-wills. If you do, you're doing something wrong. 1d6 is negligible, rendering the only good part of the path the AP benefit. The powers are OK, but too defensive. Its not a BAD path, its just mediocre.

Edit: I made the assumption you WERENT optimizing around ESB. And if you were, my point still stands, the path is mediocre.