Best Color in Standard

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
What do you think is the strongest color in Standard right now?

I think I would rank the colors as such:

1. Green

2. White

3. Black

4. Blue

5. Red

I'm ranking these based on a couple variables.  Such as, which color features the "best" cards in terms of power level, usage, synergy, etc.  I also consider which color is featured in more decks both at FNMs and Tournaments.

What do you think?
56735468 wrote:
Residual energetic and psychic emenations from the spark of planewalkers going in and out of the blind eternities like it was a windmill eventually coalesced into beings named eldrazi who by their very nature could not consume mundane sources of nourishment to sustain their existence.
As long as Delver, Snappy, Ponder, and Git Probe exist Blue should be above White and Black.

It's a little bizarre because while those cards are very strong the only time Blue is better than black is with permission in the mix. No permission? No problem.

I'm not even sure this question is specific enough, really. 

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Green
Blue
White
Black
Red

How I see it.
Blue
White
Green
Red
Black

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Blue
Green
Bonfire of the Damned
White
Black...
Artifacts...
Lands...
Rules Inserts...
Red

Team PMP - Practice Makes Perfect

Team GFG - Good F***ing Game

Disclaimer: This member may or may not be associated with Team GFG in any other regard besides his admiration of its members.

Use faith in the absence of science, not in its stead.

I think a lot of this is true only because the Hive Mind is so cannibalistic that there's not a lot of innovation going on.

Snappy is great... and naya crashes into it well because it hates Delver... and zombies aggros well with them... but but but...

Anyway. Off topic. Carry on! 

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Blue
Green
Bonfire of the Damned
White
Black...
Artifacts...
Lands...
Rules Inserts...
Red

It's sad how bad red is. Pillar of Flame, Bonfire of the Damned, Zealous Conscripts + basically nothing else.

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

Blue
Green
Bonfire of the Damned
White
Black...
Artifacts...
Lands...
Rules Inserts...
Red

It's sad how bad red is. Pillar of Flame, Bonfire of the Damned, Zealous Conscripts + basically nothing else.

Gut Shot and Thundermaw Hellkite too, right?
So two of Red's best cards are an RFG Shock and a Pyromancer activation... Enough said.

Team PMP - Practice Makes Perfect

Team GFG - Good F***ing Game

Disclaimer: This member may or may not be associated with Team GFG in any other regard besides his admiration of its members.

Use faith in the absence of science, not in its stead.

Blue
White
Green
Red
Black

I was going to question why you chose White over Green but then I noticed you put Red ahead of Black.

i.e. I don't think you can justify this reasonably. 
56735468 wrote:
Residual energetic and psychic emenations from the spark of planewalkers going in and out of the blind eternities like it was a windmill eventually coalesced into beings named eldrazi who by their very nature could not consume mundane sources of nourishment to sustain their existence.
I think a lot of this is true only because the Hive Mind is so cannibalistic that there's not a lot of innovation going on.

Snappy is great... and naya crashes into it well because it hates Delver... and zombies aggros well with them... but but but...

Anyway. Off topic. Carry on! 

what innovation?

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Same as the last decade: blue/white.
Remember how AVR killed Black.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

You guys are underrating red.  Bonfire of the damned, Huntmaster of the fells, and gut shot are played in practically every deck that can splash red.  That's not even going into wild guess and faithless looting in frites. Then there's a ton of bit players like hellrider, hero of oxid ridge and zealous conscripts.  If Mono-red were more viable, koth of the hammer might be the best planeswalker in standard.
Blue isn't better than White or Green just because of Delver, Ponder and Vapor Snag. Blue is a good support colour, but it's not actually that strong overall.

Green is currently the best. It has the best offense, and the utility of Birthing Pod and mana acceleration/fix. Speed and consistency is all that counts in this format.

I'd say next is probably pretty close between blue, black and white. They're all good support colours, and black has the second-best aggression.

Red is last - it has two great cards, in Bonfire and Conscripts. Then the rest is rubbish.

Don't play Wild Guess in Frites. Not where you want to be at all.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

Don't play Wild Guess in Frites. Not where you want to be at all.

I've seen a few RWB Reanimator decks using it okay. It's not good in Frites proper because of the mana, but the RWB builds tend not to use mana ramp as an alternate plan, they play Control, and there it's basically a Desperate Ravings.
Blue
Green
Bonfire of the Damned
White
Black...
Artifacts...
Lands...
Rules Inserts...
Red

I think this about sums it up. But you should put the word "Basic" in front of "Lands..."
Snapkeep Mage and Thugtusk are the two best creatures in Standard. Bonfire of the Damned is the best spell, AND GOD DO I HATE IT. Delver is probably the best aggro creature in the format (3 power with evasion, even with its drawback, is rather significant.)

(at)MrEnglish22

You guys are underrating red.  Bonfire of the damned, Huntmaster of the fells, and gut shot are played in practically every deck that can splash red.

Gut Shot is used in Snapcaster Mage decks, where it is effectively colourless, not red.

Huntmaster of the Fells is not really a red card; it's a green card that requires certain dual-lands in your deck. In fact, he's not even that powerful in the format anymore.

Bonfire might be the single best spell (arguably), but that doesn't make up for red's massive shortcoming in every other respect.
Don't use wild guess in rwb reanimator. The deck doesn't need extra discard. I'll explain more when I get that ptq report up.

Red also has slagstorm, faithless looting, kuldotha rebirth (still good, yo), half of ancient grudge, and a bunch of other techy cards nobody understands or plays.

The irony is that, in standard, red is the tricky color while blue has raw power. Go figure.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

Sign In to post comments