Planeswalker Points Achievements Beta

20 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for information regarding the Planeswalker Points Achievements Beta.

Under some conditions, you may experience bugs with the new Achievements and associated functionality. Many of these issues are known and are actively being worked on. Below is a description of issues you might encounter that could affect your overall experience.

Known issues with the site

Viewing new achievements: if you have just received a new achievement and click to expand it (showing the achievement details), in some circumstances it could result in a site error or show your achievement as being one rank lower than it actually is (in the case of a series achievement). If this happens, try clearing your browser's cache. That usually resolves the issue.

Adding achievements to your scorecard: in some cases, after you have added/changed the achievements you would like to display on your scorecard and press save, your selections won't be saved. It will appear as if they were saved, but when you come back it will have reverted to the previous selections. If this happens, make your changes again and press save again. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Know issues with specific achievements

Glory Seeker: upon receiving this achievement, it could appear as if you have received it twice. If this happens, you do not have to do anything. If the issue doesn't resolve itself in time, you will just have an extra achievement show up in your achievement history.

Renaissance Player: sometimes, level 1 of this achievement will not appear to unlock (so you will not be able to Facebook it or add it to your scorecard). It will still be tracked correctly in the system, and level 2 should unlock as normal.

Roam the Realms: the progress bar shows the wrong number of continents you must play on to earn the top tier. The achievement requires five, but the progress bar shows only four.

Michael Robles Community Manager Wizards of the Coast Twitter: @michaelrobles
Just posting to inform ya'll of a scaling(?) error with the Achievements popup on the main Achievements page.

the picture pretty much says it all.

As you can see it really makes it hard for people who are on a laptop. When ever I tried to scroll, it only moved the main page not the popup. The browser is Firefox 14.0.1 w/ adblock and noscript(I enabled all content and it still didn't change, so I dont think it's adblock or noscript...) on Windows 7 SP1.

Is this just me or have other people had this happen to them?
This is not a bug per se, but shouldn't you make the different frames more pronounced? As it stands, there's hardly any discernable difference between the different levels of an achievement.

Also, it's a shame that the achievements don't take one's play history into account. 
two things, more general feedback-like:

1. So I take it my past "achievements" are not counted? For example, I have played in 3 continents as of now, but the Roam-The-Realms-bar does not show that. In fact, all the bars are at 0. Why not include what players have done up until now?

2. While I generally like the idea, I think adding something like the old Player Rewards System for those achievements would be a great idea. For me, just bragging about it doesn't cut it - my friends know how good or bad a player I am anyways, and with strangers it just seems ridiculous (or at least it would to me if some random guy tried to impress me with his "Death Dealer"-Achievement).

In short: Adding actual rewards in cards and what have you would be awesome and a much greater motivation (at least for me) to play in more events.
Just posting to inform ya'll of a scaling(?) error with the Achievements popup on the main Achievements page.

the picture pretty much says it all.

As you can see it really makes it hard for people who are on a laptop. When ever I tried to scroll, it only moved the main page not the popup.

Oh God, it made Firefox's skin really hideous, too!  Wink

You should know you can alwayshit  ctrl-minus to scale your view down, and ctrl-plus to scale it up.  That doesn't excuse them from properly making the overlay scale or scroll like it should.  But it's something a lot of people don't know that can be helpful at times.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

In short: Adding actual rewards in cards and what have you would be awesome and a much greater motivation (at least for me) to play in more events.

THIS. THIS. THIS. THIS.

I want to be Cultured.

A reward card as evergreen as a basic land with alternate art is a great motivation for casual players like me!  If shipping cards out to players is too costly for WOTC, maybe a 1-use printout coupon from the website to be used to redeem the reward card from a store could be implemented.
If you can't give out lifetime achievements, why don't you just go ahead and make the achievements seasonal?
Oh God, it made Firefox's skin really hideous, too!   You should know you can alwayshit  ctrl-minus to scale your view down, and ctrl-plus to scale it up.  That doesn't excuse them from properly making the overlay scale or scroll like it should.  But it's something a lot of people don't know that can be helpful at times.

No one ever made the mistake of accusing me of having good taste! Tongue Out

Thanks for that, didnt know it would work in this case.
Please stop wasting your time and money on trying to make PWP appealing to anyone other than competitive players.

If you're not going to associate promo cards with achievements or points, then no one* will care.

It's really quite embarrassing explaining to new players why they need a DCI card, having to tell them that they'll earn points that are of literally no consequence is just not a fun thing to do...sadly they always ask what the points are for.

Please reconsider replacing the Player Rewards with something that still rewards cards, even if it's only very occasionally. Perhaps you could just send us a card or two at Christmas, with the card we receive being related to our level/points earned this year/achievements earned.

*Okay obviously not quite no one, but so close as to not mattter.
2. While I generally like the idea, I think adding something like the old Player Rewards System for those achievements would be a great idea. For me, just bragging about it doesn't cut it - my friends know how good or bad a player I am anyways, and with strangers it just seems ridiculous (or at least it would to me if some random guy tried to impress me with his "Death Dealer"-Achievement).

I agree about this.  Does anyone actually brag about their achievements in this sort of thing? How tacky, if so.

If there's a reward, then it's worthwhile to put effort into achieving it.  That, in turn, makes the accomplishment more meaningful - and more worth bragging about!

Bragging about having earned valuable things makes way more sense than bragging about having achieved something that no one else values.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
The thing is, some people do value achievements very highly.  Several folks in the XBox community are really hardcore achievement collectors, even though they come with no other reward.  They will go so far as to buy or rent a game simply to get the achievements, even if it is not one they would otherwise play.  As a marketting tool, achievements have been very successful for Microsoft, and other game companies have been following suit.  They are one of those things that you can safely ignore if you don't care for them.  But for the people who do care, they can be a huge deal.
The thing is, some people do value achievements very highly.  Several folks in the XBox community are really hardcore achievement collectors, even though they come with no other reward.  They will go so far as to buy or rent a game simply to get the achievements, even if it is not one they would otherwise play.  As a marketting tool, achievements have been very successful for Microsoft, and other game companies have been following suit.  They are one of those things that you can safely ignore if you don't care for them.  But for the people who do care, they can be a huge deal.

I would argue though that achievements on Xbox live have a higher visibility than PWP.  In order to see someone's PWP you have to search for them, which can be rather tedious and difficult (at least that's my experience).  On XBox live you can easily pull up someone's profile and see their points, and then compare their achievements with yours.
^^ This would be an excellent change. While people might scoff ("Oh, s/he only has more PWP because s/he went to three more PTQs than I did last season..."), one of the major ways that people enjoy achievements is by sharing, comparing and competing.

Please stop wasting your time and money on trying to make PWP appealing to anyone other than competitive players.

If you're not going to associate promo cards with achievements or points, then no one* will care.

It's really quite embarrassing explaining to new players why they need a DCI card, having to tell them that they'll earn points that are of literally no consequence is just not a fun thing to do...sadly they always ask what the points are for.

Please reconsider replacing the Player Rewards with something that still rewards cards, even if it's only very occasionally. Perhaps you could just send us a card or two at Christmas, with the card we receive being related to our level/points earned this year/achievements earned.

*Okay obviously not quite no one, but so close as to not mattter.

The Player Rewards cards were obviously very popular; however, given various changes that reek of budget cuts (*cough* Worlds *cough*), I find it unlikely to return. It would be nice if it did, though.

Also, this is part of why Ratings should have been kept, even if they didn't "mean" anything. People understand the idea of having a rating, no matter how new to the game they are. They like seeing that that number goes up when they play better, like comparing things with friends. Sure, they can do the same with PWP, but that's just as often "who played more" instead of "who played better".
I just joined a Guild on the PWP website, but I do not appear to have received the "Enter the Guild" Achievement, nor the 5 points for doing so.
Part of me doesn't know why I care about this, but I noted that a number of achievements reflect my actual history, while others which I actually care about, do not.  Specifically the achievement around playing a number of GPs in a year, or Continents played on.  

At present, these achievements really have no reason to be chased, but at the same time, I want them to reflect what I've actually managed to do (and realize that I may not be able to do again). 

Maybe, as someone above noted, there should be Seasonal and Lifetime Achievements?  Seems like a good way to solve for a problem without real definition...? 
I just joined a Guild on the PWP website, but I do not appear to have received the "Enter the Guild" Achievement, nor the 5 points for doing so.

Got it now, nevermind thanks!
It is possible that I misunderstood something, but there appears to be an achievement for being in the winning guild. This creates a perverse incentive*, by encouraging people to switch to the winning guild at the end. I love my boros, but for an extra badge, I'll switch to Izzet. Was this a worry? Since it's in BETA, are you open to changing it? I feel like at the year, all the people who care will be in Izzet and I'm cheating myself out of bonus points my being loyal to the Boros.

*I'm actually using my degree for something, wow.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]

The points are recalculated once per day.

The designers of the PP site should consider putting some information about the feature on the main page, at least. Preferrably right below the totals on the main page.

This information could save some time to the WotC customer care agents (I myself didn't know about the feature until I contacted the service).

_________

Several people in my playgroup have not received the Enter the Guild achievement or the 5 points that come with it.
I beat someone from Simic and got the points under the beating other Guilds achievement but didn't get the Death to the Simic Combine achievement.
Sign In to post comments