Infinite Time Warp is good, people!

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
I see a lot of people making sour faces about a game where there is turn 6- infinite combos and 9 / 10 decks are designed in a way to combat artifacts / enhancements. I wanted to weigh in on the subject.

Why Duels needs powerful combos such as Panoptic Mirror and Time Warp?

1- It stops the game from being an arms-race. By that, I mean MTG is not and should not be about "cast creature, remove creature, attack" game. Some decks should win in different alternate conditions. For some, that could be win through lifegain Serra Avatar, for others it could be powerful combos (Wild PairAcidic Slime) instead of powerful creatures.

2- People enjoy different things in MtG. There are mainly 3 types of players. Accept that there might be different players than you are.

3- Duels series is made for starter players as well as existing paper players. At least, that is the latest stand of Wizards regarding Duels. Control, combo and aggro decks now all have their place. It used to be mainly aggro in Duels 2012, not anymore.

4- As I said in the first paragrapgh, MtG is all about "threats" and "answers". That's what Wizards does - printing new cool threats and answers with different arts. As long as game has a large variety of "answers", threats should not ruin the game. Granted, I will support the decks becoming more about answers and less about threats. For example, give each deck at least x4 copies of cards like Solemn Offering. Emphasize on answers a little bit more.

Discuss...
People say this is an infinite no lose combo, it's not technically true. You can have as many turns as you wish if i have a font of mythos and a dreamborn muse out. I'll watch your library disappear as you scramble for the win.
1) There's already threads on this.

2) It's a matter of opinion.

3) (Content Removed) 

(ORC_Cerberus: Edited - Baiting is against the Code of Conduct)   

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

I don't think Panoptic Mirror is such a bad card, its more about the cards in Talrand's deck that go with it

If Talrand's deck didn't have such powerful cards like Rite of Replication, Bribery, Time Warp etc, you wouldn't hear half as much bitching
Hear hear.  We asked for more variety in decks and WIzards gave it, and for that I'm thankful.  Not everything is my cup of tea, but it is somebody's.  As long as it is not consistent enough or abused enough to wreck the meta, I'm fine with it.  And it's not, so I am.  Wizards has done a fine job at balance this year, which I'm sure isn't easy with all the different win conditions added in.
1) There's already threads on this.

Tell that to the Serra Ascendant/Leaderboard/bug thread people.

2) It's a matter of opinion.

Quote where he said anything in his post was irrefutable fact.

*Content respectfully removed to reflect above*
Splattercat, you're my hero! "Defender of the Threads"

Though I do agree with GodOfAtheism that it has been done. It is almost like he made this post to counter the "Infinate turns have no place post"

Which s/he has that right. Just coulda have put this arguement there along with the rest of ours and saved us the thread.
Splattercat, you're my hero! "Defender of the Threads"

Though I do agree with GodOfAtheism that it has been done. It is almost like he made this post to counter the "Infinate turns have no place post"

Which s/he has that right. Just coulda have put this arguement there along with the rest of ours and saved us the thread.

Granted, that was GodOfAtheism's strongest point. Still had nothing to do with anything Hydramarine said though, so what's the point? "This could have been put in 'x' thread" makes a good afterthought. When it's the most relevent thing you have to say in your response it loses a lot of meaning.

As for counter threads, they are many and many of them are redundant. However, they are far better than spite-threads, which we've also seen a number of. Hydramarine obviously felt that the difference of position on the subject was significant enough to be a seperate discussion rather than a counter point to an exisiting one. No crime has been committed here.

I for one, don't disagree with him. Panoptic Mirror can be a game ender, but it's not like there are multiple copies, multiple ways to get it into play, and any way to keep it in play or retrieve it when it's gone. It's literally a one-shot. If it works, it's game unless you make a mistake. It's not a primary strategy like some cards, nor is it ridiculously hard to deal with like others.

It doesn't break the game, the deck or any format. Therefore it's not broken.
My problem with Crosswinds is NOT that it is overpowered. I think there is a good amount of balance to this Duels, much more than previous versions. My problem is that it takes so long and is so irritatingly boring to lose to Crosswinds. When I lose to any other deck, I don't mind. When the game turns into me watching the other player cast spell after spell, take turn after turn, while I just sit there waiting for counters etc...; it is frustratingly boring and ruins the fun of the game. The problem with endless Time Warping is that it turns what should be a two player game into a one player game. 

That being said, Crosswinds might not be so irritating if counters didn't take so long.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
My problem with Crosswinds is NOT that it is overpowered. I think there is a good amount of balance to this Duels, much more than previous versions. My problem is that it takes so long and is so irritatingly boring to lose to Crosswinds. When I lose to any other deck, I don't mind. When the game turns into me watching the other player cast spell after spell, take turn after turn, while I just sit there waiting for counters etc...; it is frustratingly boring and ruins the fun of the game. The problem with endless Time Warping is that it turns what should be a two player game into a one player game. 

That being said, Crosswinds might not be so irritating if counters didn't take so long.

Based on your post it would seem like it's not the decks fault, but rather the developers who programmed the counters to take longer than needed to tally up the power/toughness for X number of creatures.

Just to throw my 2 cents in this thread, i am and will always be a blue island deck lover. I played Minds of Void back in 09 and trust me, lots of people didn't like it when the opponent had not 1 traumatize, but 2-3, tons of counters and creatures to stall the game as long as possible until you're milled.

Crosswinds is such a gorgeous deck for anyone who likes the controller deck. Sure the infinite time warp combo is pure insanity when in play, but that is why when i have the option to do so, i simply come up with another way to win the match and crosswinds can do just that.

Most of my wins are not even with the use of Panoptic Mirror. All i have to do is wait patiently for Bribery, Blatant Thievery or RoR and just steal your big juicy game winners just to throw back at you.

So, where i can agree with people who say the Mirror + Warp is crazy good and annoying, i can't agree or have any sympathy for those who complain about the deck in general.

My advice to those players is simply this: Do your research by studying your nemesis (crosswinds deck) and pay attention to the # of cards in their deck. Some people play with 60, 70, 80, 90. For example: When i play against celestial lights and they're running 60 in their deck.. I know for a fact they won't use serra avatar. Nobody uses that creature in a deck of 60.

I still remember having 5 130/130+ Serra's who wanted to come out to play

--------------------

Oh, and just to let everyone know. Crosswinds is able to combo with ANY other deck flawlessly (if trimmed right). I've yet to lose a match since my last trim, and again i don't use cheap tactics to get my wins.. I trim my deck to 60 and use every card available.

Good luck to those who have trouble battling Crosswinds, but just remember it's not an overpowered deck if you know what to look out for. :D

On the other side of the fence, when I lose to aggro or speed mill I feel the game is too short and didn't get a chance to properly get started; those are the games that annoy me

I realize your argument isn't an exact reflection of this statement, but I think it still relevent enough to add for showing balance.  You really mean too long without you playing and not too long in general.  I normally play 2 headed where four turns is usually more than enough to turn a hopelessly lost game into a victory, but I am willing to bet that 1 on 1 takes much longer.  

If it is too drawn out, concede is always an option.  This is one of the few times I don't think less of my opponents for quitting early.

My advice to those players is simply this: Do your research by studying your nemesis (crosswinds deck) and pay attention to the # of cards in their deck. Some people play with 60, 70, 80, 90. For example: When i play against celestial lights and they're running 60 in their deck.. I know for a fact they won't use serra avatar. Nobody uses that creature in a deck of 60.

....I do.  Why not?  Granted I don't play this deck often and I often end up gimping myself by not wanting to play the ascendant at the start, but I know I have won multiple games by getting the hammer on the avatar.  
People say this is an infinite no lose combo, it's not technically true. You can have as many turns as you wish if i have a font of mythos and a dreamborn muse out. I'll watch your library disappear as you scramble for the win.

Or a Forced Fruition

Personally, I love when I get a Panoptic Mirror/timewarp out and we have around 6 life and have to race against an Underworld Dreams or a mill machine..... It sure does get intense....

....I do.  Why not?  Granted I don't play this deck often and I often end up gimping myself by not wanting to play the ascendant at the start, but I know I have won multiple games by getting the hammer on the avatar.  

If you ever play against me and use serra avatar in your deck... I guarantee you'll regret having it. I would personally make sure you would remove it out of your deck so you stand better chances of winning than having 5 avatars under my control, with just 1 coming at you with an unblockable buff just to make sure the damage goes through

Don't bother with any creature removal, you'll just get countered.

Just adding to the list of users using a 60 card deck plus a Serra Avatar.

I played 6 games against a set of split screeners yesterday and he had 3 Ascendants out on the third turn one game. We couldn't recover from that one. He used mill and lifedeck every game. We went 4-2 against them, the only two losses were when he had the 3 ascendants out on turn 3 and when he got two out on two turns and another one out 3 turns later when we just managed to recover and stabalize the two with a fog bank and a murder but the third one broke our back. Still not bad though. I don't expect to win against 3 Serra Ascendants on turn 3 or 4 or 5.

--

Why don't you just concede when he triggers the infinite.  That's what I do.  No need to waste anyone's time.

If you ever play against me and use serra avatar in your deck... I guarantee you'll regret having it. I would personally make sure you would remove it out of your deck so you stand better chances of winning than having 5 avatars under my control, with just 1 coming at you with an unblockable buff just to make sure the damage goes through

You're assuming you'll hit it with kicked Rite of Replication clearly. The funny thing is you essentially say you also run Distortion Strike in your deck, which is generally speaking, one of the absolute worst cards in Talrand's deck. It can be made use of, but largely it's just a wasted slot.

I don't play Ajani, but I'd consider running Avatar simply because the deck doesn't otherwise have a whole lot of late game finishers. I'd hope most people would have used their removal spells on things like Serra Ascendant, Ajani's Pridemate and maybe even Soul Warden by the time Avatar comes out, and unless you're playing mill or someone who gets off an early multi-turn combo with Talrand, you probably will survive to cast it, at which time it's an immediate threat to kill you. Equip a Loxodon Warhammer to it and now it's got all the evasion it needs.

Saying "Don't run a card because it can be countered/stolen/terror'ed" is kinda silly. You can say that about most creatures. The real reason to question it's usefulness is simply its cost coupled with a lack of evasion. It doesn't matter if it's 5/5, 20/20, 75/75, or 400/400. Without evasion Elvish Visionary can stop it dead in it's tracks.

It is almost like he made this post to counter the "Infinate turns have no place post".

Well, sorry for double threading then. I just felt the need to state what I think about the Panoptic Mirror thing. Internet people sometimes get self-centered you know

As for the people who complain about "sitting, waiting and doing nothing durin infinite turns", I sympatize with them. I feel bored too during counter tallying, which is especially a problem with Celestial Light which should be addressed in a more practical manner. But I feel Crosswinds doesnt suffer you that much if you ask me. After all, I accept that I am playing a turn-based game. If a card gives another player a free turn, more power to them. If someone was to make a deck with x4 Relentless Assault, that would essentialy be the same thing and they would have my respect. Them is the rules.

It is almost like he made this post to counter the "Infinate turns have no place post".

Well, sorry for double threading then. I just felt the need to state what I think about the Panoptic Mirror thing. Internet people sometimes get self-centered you know

As for the people who complain about "sitting, waiting and doing nothing durin infinite turns", I sympatize with them. I feel bored too during counter tallying, which is especially a problem with Celestial Light which should be addressed in a more practical manner. But I feel Crosswinds doesnt suffer you that much if you ask me. After all, I accept that I am playing a turn-based game. If a card gives another player a free turn, more power to them. If someone was to make a deck with x4 Relentless Assault, that would essentialy be the same thing and they would have my respect. Them is the rules.

They'd need 8 mountains and 8 colorless free to do 4x Relentless Assault. It doesn't give any extra untap phases.

Why don't you just concede when he triggers the infinite.  That's what I do.  No need to waste anyone's time.

Yeah, that's what I do now. It can still be frustrating though when you're not yet sure if he/she is on an infinitie streak. Also, I'll just reemphasize the fact that counters shouldn't take so long.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

I played 6 games against a set of split screeners yesterday and he had 3 Ascendants out on the third turn one game. We couldn't recover from that one. He used mill and lifedeck every game. We went 4-2 against them, the only two losses were when he had the 3 ascendants out on turn 3 and when he got two out on two turns and another one out 3 turns later when we just managed to recover and stabalize the two with a fog bank and a murder but the third one broke our back. Still not bad though. I don't expect to win against 3 Serra Ascendants on turn 3 or 4 or 5.

--

I have two team-mates who are good motg players, one has less 'luck' than the other in terms of card draw, but overall they know what they're doing.

However, when our opponent plays Serra Ascendant on turn one, the guy who has less luck will just concede instantly. He doesn't like seeing a 6/6 flying life link on turn 1.

They'd need 8 mountains and 8 colorless free to do 4x Relentless Assault. It doesn't give any extra untap phases.

What I meant is you still wait for their extra phase. When I generally pull Mirror Time Warp combo, I generally finish in a couple of turns anyway. The card advantage is ridicilously good, you are bound to hit jackpot in a 2-3 turns most of the time.  

You're assuming you'll hit it with kicked Rite of Replication clearly. The funny thing is you essentially say you also run Distortion Strike in your deck, which is generally speaking, one of the absolute worst cards in Talrand's deck. It can be made use of, but largely it's just a wasted slot.

I don't play Ajani, but I'd consider running Avatar simply because the deck doesn't otherwise have a whole lot of late game finishers. I'd hope most people would have used their removal spells on things like Serra Ascendant, Ajani's Pridemate and maybe even Soul Warden by the time Avatar comes out, and unless you're playing mill or someone who gets off an early multi-turn combo with Talrand, you probably will survive to cast it, at which time it's an immediate threat to kill you. Equip a Loxodon Warhammer to it and now it's got all the evasion it needs.

Saying "Don't run a card because it can be countered/stolen/terror'ed" is kinda silly. You can say that about most creatures. The real reason to question it's usefulness is simply its cost coupled with a lack of evasion. It doesn't matter if it's 5/5, 20/20, 75/75, or 400/400. Without evasion Elvish Visionary can stop it dead in it's tracks.

I don't really know what card is essentially worse or better in the crosswind deck. All i do is read all the cards and judge based on my playstyle which works with what, and distortion strike is hilariously under-rated then, because i can't tell you enough how often that comes into play (in 2HG) if we're talking 1v1 then it's out of my deck completely (or is it...).

I'll give you one hint with my deck. I run only 6 out of the 22 creature cards. Keep in mind however that i play more 2HG than 1v1 as i enjoy the playstyle more, just like i enjoy planechase more than 2HG.

1v1 just gets boring really fast, but that's just me.

--

I have two team-mates who are good motg players, one has less 'luck' than the other in terms of card draw, but overall they know what they're doing.

However, when our opponent plays Serra Ascendant on turn one, the guy who has less luck will just concede instantly. He doesn't like seeing a 6/6 flying life link on turn 1.

One is so easy to deal with though. Its when you get multiple copies of them that it becomes an issue. Honestly, if they just removed two of them and put in two other decent cards the deck would be fine. But still the life deck doesn't bother me anymore. If they get lucky and get multiple ascendants out early it is what it is.

You confusing him with me? Or does he like Distortion Strike too? I run a copy of that card still and it has saved me two games and counting from sure defeat and has been useful in many others. As I noted, its a 1 mana additional win condition for a game and I ONLY use it in 2HG. I like pairing Talrand with Garruck/Yeva and distortion strik when combined with green and some of those +1/+1 forest enchantments is pretty strong. It synergizes well with a blue green combo in 2HG. Hell, I could put it on your 40/40 avatar and boom, game over. But its utilitity is limited but like I said, when paired with green I like it.

There really are no late game finishers. That is the problem with the Life Deck. Once you deal with the Serras it stalls. Or maybe on turn 5 you will cast a 5 mana 5/5 angle to compliment your 1 mana 6/6 Ascendant..

To finish a game with the lifedeck in 2HG you pretty much need the hammer, the Sovereign or flyers. Ajani is nice but can be a 30/30 andget chump blocked by a 1/1 over and over again.

You confusing him with me? Or does he like Distortion Strike too? I run a copy of that card still and it has saved me two games and counting from sure defeat and has been useful in many others. As I noted, its a 1 mana additional win condition for a game and I ONLY use it in 2HG. I like pairing Talrand with Garruck/Yeva and distortion strik when combined with green and some of those +1/+1 forest enchantments is pretty strong. It synergizes well with a blue green combo in 2HG. Hell, I could put it on your 40/40 avatar and boom, game over. But its utilitity is limited but like I said, when paired with green I like it.

There really are no late game finishers. That is the problem with the Life Deck. Once you deal with the Serras it stalls. Or maybe on turn 5 you will cast a 5 mana 5/5 angle to compliment your 1 mana 6/6 Ascendant..

To finish a game with the lifedeck in 2HG you pretty much need the hammer, the Sovereign or flyers. Ajani is nice but can be a 30/30 andget chump blocked by a 1/1 over and over again.

The best is stealing your opponents big game winner creature, slap d-strike and enjoy the ride as they run for the rage quit button. such is life in a game of magic on the xbox. sooooooooooo many rage quiters.
To finish a game with the lifedeck in 2HG you pretty much need blah blah blah

As usual, you're ignoring the fact that in 2HG you have a partner.
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)

Laughing

Then don't bother using any RoR because my partner will counter it.  Or don't bother countering because my partner will counter it.  Or don't bother casting any cards becuase my partner will counter it.  That is hands down the funniest preemptive strike I have ever seen.  

While we are simply creating anecdotes.  Don't bother RoRing my avatar because mine will be a 9999/9999 and your five will all be 4/4s.  The round after you clone I will attach my trample lifelink hammer and run over your avatars.  

Wait this is fun.  Don't bother attacking with your avatars because I will have so many creatures on the board with White Sun that you will never get through them all.  (My partner will bounce your avatar if you use a distortion strike; your counterspells have been earmarked for removal.  If that fails I will have so much more life than you that your attacks won't matter)

Don't bother attacking with your avatars because my Baneslayer will be reinforced so large that you can't get through.  (See above for distortion strike)

Actually don't bother playing because my Cat Beast will end the game for me having over 40 life before you can kick an RoR.

For anyone else reading I am not a super fan of this deck, I just thought this too funny to pass up.
LOL

You just made my day with this post!

Then don't bother using any RoR because my partner will counter it.  Or don't bother countering because my partner will counter it.  Or don't bother casting any cards becuase my partner will counter it.  That is hands down the funniest preemptive strike I have ever seen.  

While we are simply creating anecdotes.  Don't bother RoRing my avatar because mine will be a 9999/9999 and your five will all be 4/4s.  The round after you clone I will attach my trample lifelink hammer and run over your avatars.  

Wait this is fun.  Don't bother attacking with your avatars because I will have so many creatures on the board with White Sun that you will never get through them all.  (My partner will bounce your avatar if you use a distortion strike; your counterspells have been earmarked for removal.  If that fails I will have so much more life than you that your attacks won't matter)

Don't bother attacking with your avatars because my Baneslayer will be reinforced so large that you can't get through.  (See above for distortion strike)

Actually don't bother playing because my Cat Beast will end the game for me having over 40 life before you can kick an RoR.

For anyone else reading I am not a super fan of this deck, I just thought this too funny to pass up.

Don't bother responding back to this post because it'll just get countered. ;)
Don't bother responding back to this post because it'll just get countered. Wink
Don't bother responding back to this post because it'll just get countered. Wink

Or Rite of Replicationed with kicker.

Exactly. Life deck does early damage and gives you health and has a few win conditions (Serra Ascendants EARLY, Sovereign, or Serra Avatar/BaneslayerAscendant with Hammer) but without the hammer its hard to win. You need to just stay alive and let your teammate win most of the time.

Quote where he said anything in his post was irrefutable fact.

Quote where I said he said that. I said it was his opinion. That's a fact. This other stuff you're mentioning, I have never seen or heard of.

Just because you disagree doesn't make his opinion invalid. In fact, suggesting he's wrong simply because it's his opinion makes your opinion invalid.

I did not say, suggest, imply, insinuate, or remark that his opinion was invalid. I said just because it was his opinion did not make it universally true - in other words, I was saying his opinion is not fact. Just like my opinion is not fact, and your opinion is not fact.

2/10 for effort and getting me to reply (even if I was only replying to the words you put in my mouth, none of which were things I actually said), though.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Exactly. Life deck does early damage and gives you health and has a few win conditions (Serra Ascendants EARLY, Sovereign, or Serra Avatar/BaneslayerAscendant with Hammer) but without the hammer its hard to win. You need to just stay alive and let your teammate win most of the time.

Did you even read my post? You quoted it, but nothing you said has anything to do with what I said.
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
I will have to agree that the combo is just another win condition in a game that is more fun this time because it features multiple win conditions so I hope this very important point that was made is not lost going forward.

Also, I just had someone Rite my Grave Titan 5 times when they were at 19 life. Simply hit Rise from the Grave on Massacre Worm and laughed. I wonder how they counter me when they tap out to cast Rite?!?! LOL  
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Those who break the rules are considered scum; but those who would betray and abandon even one of their friends, are worst than scum(Kakashi Hatake/Originally Obito Uchiha/Tobi).
(Content Removed)

(ORC_Cerberus: Edited - Baiting is against the Code of Conduct)   
0/10, reported for baiting, placed on ignore. GG.

Don't bother responding back to this post because it'll just get countered.

assuming you have 9 mana to kick the RoR card, it would... you guessed it.. just get countered ;)
Thanks to a little thievery, I just had 2 mirrors in play.  I couldn't get a time warp on either but it was still very satisfying to out control both blue decks single-handedly.  

I don't really know what card is essentially worse or better in the crosswind deck. All i do is read all the cards and judge based on my playstyle which works with what, and distortion strike is hilariously under-rated then, because i can't tell you enough how often that comes into play (in 2HG) if we're talking 1v1 then it's out of my deck completely (or is it...).

I'll give you one hint with my deck. I run only 6 out of the 22 creature cards. Keep in mind however that i play more 2HG than 1v1 as i enjoy the playstyle more, just like i enjoy planechase more than 2HG.

1v1 just gets boring really fast, but that's just me.

Well, I think it's kind of weird that you'd tell someone a card that is usually something like 15/15 - 150/150 for 7 mana should not be in a deck but without mentioning the caveat that your preferred play style is planechase followed by 2HG and that you don't really play 1v1 because it's "boring" is a little unfair. Sure, in 2HG you probably don't need Serra Avatar because you don't need to be the finisher. You're the stall while your teammate presumably is the win-con generator. In 1v1 you don't have the luxury of building a deck designed to simply stall. And if you're playing Ajani in 2HG you deserved to be slapped in the mouth anyway with its broken 4x Serra Ascendant.

The best is stealing your opponents big game winner creature, slap d-strike and enjoy the ride as they run for the rage quit button. such is life in a game of magic on the xbox. sooooooooooo many rage quiters.

Why does everyone think a concede is a "rage quit"?? Why the Hell should I sit there and watch 35 seconds of gameplay when the outcome is determined? My time is valuable and if I sat and watched every game winning: animation/effect/ability/combat/etc. when I have no response I'd have way less time to play. When I have 5 life and your goblin and I have one blockers vs 4 1/1s but you drop a Goblin Chief guess what? I lose. I'm out. It just saves time.

assuming you have 9 mana to kick the RoR card, it would... you guessed it.. just get countered ;)

oh my nerdness......and the fact that I find this hilarious just confirms my nerdness lol

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!