Dungeon Command - Creature Card Packs

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know it's probably somewhat of a challenge to put a product out based on items no longer being sold, but as a long time collector and user of the D&D Miniatures product line since Harbinger and a fan of the new Dungeon Command game I for one would enjoy seeing DC expansion packs of order cards and creature cards, probably with themes for related creatures, that use the many older D&D minis I already have.  The cards could really be used with any miniatures of the right scale.  I'm sure producing a pack of cards for a 12 miniature squad would cost less to produce than a full set with tiles and miniatures.  Naturally, the card pack should also include cards for the adventure system games too.  I can't be the only customer out there with thousands of minis and dungeon tiles already who wouldn't mind spending a few bucks for a good card pack that lets me build a squad with miniatures I already have.  I would think there would be demand for this - am I wrong?

L
/signed!
I'm in the same boat (lots of old D&D miniatures) however I wouldn't hold my breath on them selling cards for the old miniatures.  It would be great, but that's a lot of R&D development time (creating new creatures, balancing and playtesting them) for a restricted audience.

Personally, I'd just like to see them release Order card packs that bring the number of each type of Order card to 4.  These "tournament" packs would allow constructed Order decks without having to re-buy all the tiles, etc.  I don't want to have to buy 4 copies (and frankly *won't* buy 4 copies of the game) just to be able to get 4 copies of the same card.

Hopefully, if Wizards doesn't come through, then they will at least have created enough copies of the game to keep the "singles" aftermarket stocked with figures and card decks.
I don't think you'll see creature cards for miniatures that are not specifically in a Dungeon Command set, at least none that are WOTC sanctioned.

The community might (and likely will) create their own creature cards to expand on play options, but these would not be legal in DCI tournaments.
Legendarius, I am hoping for this as well.
Kinda was hoping that the DDM Guild would come out with Cards converting the New Minitures (I know they are 95% repainted) to the DDM game, and come out with cards for the old minis converting them to the DC game...hoping for alot there, but still.
My Commander Decks Zur The En-hancer Omnomnom
I know it's kind of a pipe dream but I think it could sell well.  I think the R&D costs to design and play test the stats for the creatures and the new order cards could be prohibitive.  A DDM Guild type arrangement could work.
I know it's kind of a pipe dream but I think it could sell well.  I think the R&D costs to design and play test the stats for the creatures and the new order cards could be prohibitive.  A DDM Guild type arrangement could work.

At the same time, though, aftermarket values on some of these figures are huge.  I wouldn't want to have to buy a costly figure to be competitive if I didn't get it through DDM, to say nothing of new players who have none of the older minis.

I get you were saying "just let them use anything" but that's still a barrier to entry; presumably they couldn't use minis that might create confusion, so no DDM minis that aren't the specific one, and that leaves buying other brands, which is probably not desirable.
I concure with the desire to have more creature and order cards. That would be great.

I am looking for a template for either Photoshop or MTG Set Editor. I would like to use the cards in our normal D&D campaign as an alternate combat mechanic.
I think it would be a fairly untenable business model to produce new creature cards card for out of production minis, or even to sell creature card packs for Dungeon Command minis that come from previous sets. I do however think it would be nice if WotC provided a print your own PDF for creature cards connected to pre-existing minis as a token to those who have invested so much into their previous minis products and will continue to support the new ones.

I'd REALLY like to see some booster support for Dungeon Command down the road. Something that provides 6-10 Order Cards and 4-6 randomized minis, perhaps? Releases with set sizes small enough not to create excessive R&D overhead, but still diverse enough to encourage additional sales and band customization while still being attractive to the RPG market. DC seems to be potentiall quite well suited to a MtG hybrid model.

[/2¢] 

I think it would be a fairly untenable business model to produce new creature cards card for out of production minis, or even to sell creature card packs for Dungeon Command minis that come from previous sets. I do however think it would be nice if WotC provided a print your own PDF for creature cards connected to pre-existing minis as a token to those who have invested so much into their previous minis products and will continue to support the new ones.

I'd REALLY like to see some booster support for Dungeon Command down the road. Something that provides 6-10 Order Cards and 4-6 randomized minis, perhaps? Releases with set sizes small enough not to create excessive R&D overhead, but still diverse enough to encourage additional sales and band customization while still being attractive to the RPG market. DC seems to be potentiall quite well suited to a MtG hybrid model.

[/2¢] 

If WOTC moves to booster packs with randomized minis, I'd probably stop playing the game. I don't want the Magic "planned obsolescence" model. IMO, the game design is tight, and there are enough options for viable warbands with only the first two sets released to keep the game interesting. Tyranny of Goblins looks to be likewise excellent. Outside of a few rules issues (LOS for one), I have a great time playing this game.

If WOTC moves to booster packs with randomized minis, I'd probably stop playing the game. I don't want the Magic "planned obsolescence" model. IMO, the game design is tight, and there are enough options for viable warbands with only the first two sets released to keep the game interesting. Tyranny of Goblins looks to be likewise excellent. Outside of a few rules issues (LOS for one), I have a great time playing this game.

Constructing warbands without some kind of booster support in addition to these base sets would be difficult.

Constructing warbands without some kind of booster support in addition to these base sets would be difficult.

You've got sites such as CoolStuffInc and Auggies, which sell individual minis. It's much easier for folks to proxy while they test "tournament" warbands, then order what they need later. The minis and Order decks are quite cheap.
I really doubt that there will be any sort of randomized distribution of minis for Dungeon Command. Part of the reason for doing DC as faction packs was in response to some complaints about the randomness of DDM. If you are looking for a bunch of Drow, you don't want to have to buy several packs just to get the five drow you wanted for your campaign and then have aboleths and demons and kobolds that you have no intention of using in your campaign.
With faction packs, if you need drow, you buy a drow pack. If you need goblins, you buy a goblin pack(when it comes out). It allows you to target your purchases better. 
I understand the problems with random packs, but think that there is room for something inbetween, perhaps booster packs that support the main game like a 5 figure Hobgoblin pack with 5-10 new order cards at a 12.99 price point or dual packs of Demons or some such.

That would be the best solution for all the different end users of the product
Sign In to post comments