Looking for a fumble table

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys I'm looking for a very extensive fumble table akin to "Critical Matters by FRP" anyone have any suggestions?
Don't.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Yeah, missing is bad enough. Played Encounters and they used a fumble table. Two natty 1s in one nite was enough for me. Spending 1 of your 5 turns stunned is ****ing dumb.

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

Fumble table?
Fumble table?

You know, when you roll a 1 on your attack roll and switch from playing D&D to 'Three Stooges: The RPG'.  "According to my chart, your sword slips out of your hand on the backswing, stabbing your buddy in the face.  Roll the damage for that, would you?"
We just make up fumbles. It's mroe of a 50/50 fumble. You don't jsut fumble immediately. Kinda like confirming a crit in 3.x. We pretty much roll a saving throw to see if you fumble bad enough to hurt someone or yourself. Funny story, we had a paladin kill a rogue on accident like this. Only use fumbles if your sure you want damage to be inflicted on others, and use them with extreme caution.  

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

Games I Play:

D&D 4e - D&D 3.0  - Pathfinder - AD&D 2e - Call of Cthulhu - Legend of the Five Rings - 13th Age - World of Darkness - PTU - D&D B/X

If you already have a funble table you like, just toss it on and go.  Otherwise I recommend google.
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.
Funny story, we had a paladin kill a rogue on accident like this.

I'm sure the rogue thought it was hilarious.

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

Here's the one I came up with for my group.

Whenever you roll a natural 1 on an attack roll, roll a d20 to determine the effect from the following table.

1. You miss.

2. You whiff.

3. You flounder.

4. You goof.

5. You fail to hit the target.

6. You miss and curse under your breath.

7. Your foe dodges your attack completely.

8. Your foe parries the attack completely.

9. The target's deity intervenes and thwarts your attack.

10. Reroll the attack and automatically fail the second roll.

11. You deal max damage against the air.

12. Your old college football injury acts up, causing you to swing wide.

13. The target's substitute faded.

14. In a parallel universe, your attack hits.

15. The Spanish Inquisition!!!!

16. Sunlight glints off some random object and into your eye.

17. The moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie.

18. Nope.avi

19. There is no joy in Mudville.

20. Roll again.

Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
Beautiful.  The only change I would make would be on result 20 which would be "Roll again and change the result to a natural 1."

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Keep On The Shadowfell" would be hailed as a brilliant, revolutionary triumph in game design if it were followed by the words "A Pathfinder Adventure Path by Paizo."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

And I'm sure the Paladin found it really fun too. 

I've played D&D for over 30 years and without exception, the only people I've ever played with who want to use critical fumble tables are DMs.  And without exception, I've busted EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM at least once for not rolling fumbles when the monsters critical miss.  Reactions have ranged from "Oops, sorry, I forgot," to "If you don't like it get the hell out of my game," and everything in between.  These are some of the same DMs who like play games with insanity mechanics because it gives them more than one way to kill a PC beyond physical damage and their justification for that is that it's "realistic."

The last game I played where the DM insisted on using them, I explained why critical miss tables are not fun for me and persuaded him to allow any of us to "opt out" of the rule.  That was cool and I appreciated his flexibility ... until at the next session where he changed his mind and told me "that's the way we do it here."

I bowed out of the group the next day.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Keep On The Shadowfell" would be hailed as a brilliant, revolutionary triumph in game design if it were followed by the words "A Pathfinder Adventure Path by Paizo."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

He didn't at first.

Games I Play:

D&D 4e - D&D 3.0  - Pathfinder - AD&D 2e - Call of Cthulhu - Legend of the Five Rings - 13th Age - World of Darkness - PTU - D&D B/X

And I'm sure the Paladin found it really fun too. 

I've played D&D for over 30 years and without exception, the only people I've ever played with who want to use critical fumble tables are DMs.  And without exception, I've busted EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM at least once for not rolling fumbles when the monsters critical miss.  Reactions have ranged from "Oops, sorry, I forgot," to "If you don't like it get the hell out of my game," and everything in between.  These are some of the same DMs who like play games with insanity mechanics because it gives them more than one way to kill a PC beyond physical damage and their justification for that is that it's "realistic."

The last game I played where the DM insisted on using them, I explained why critical miss tables are not fun for me and persuaded him to allow any of us to "opt out" of the rule.  That was cool and I appreciated his flexibility ... until at the next session where he changed his mind and told me "that's the way we do it here."

I bowed out of the group the next day.

But of course the paladin thought it was funny.

Games I Play:

Beautiful.  The only change I would make would be on result 20 which would be "Roll again and change the result to a natural 1."

Well, the idea was that you roll again on the chart, so...
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.

The guy who taught us to play D&D 4e, after playing in my HackMaster 4e game for a while, decided to institue a fumble table, but had us confirm our fumbles before applying the potentially very nasty effects. Confirmation involved rolling the attack again: if you hit, it's a normal miss; if you miss again, it's a fumble and you now roll on the fumble table. It was a blast – especially when the rogue, who can normally roll high enough to hit, even on a fumble, managed to confirm a fumble and ended up stabbing the mage who had once again rushed into melee like an idiot. Good times. 8o) As of yet we haven't seen every result on the table so we players don't know its exact contents so I doubt he'd be willing to post it here.

My favorite crit/fumble system is in HackMaster Basic. One thing you must know is that HM5e uses opposed rolls almost exclusively. In combat both players roll a d20 and add the appropriate modifier; tie goes to the defender. That means both players can crit or fumble.

If the attacker crits (and rolls higher; nat 20 auto-hits regardless) damage is doubled as is common, but if the defender crits he gets to make a counter attack. We've seen attacks go back and forth several times in the same second* – parry, reposte, parry, reposte, ... – until a solid attack finally got through. On a Near Perfect Defense (defender wins with a nat 19), you get to make a free attack with a dagger or smaller weapon, or headbutt, knee to the groin, or however else you want to flavor it, for weapon damage or 2(d4p-2) ("p" means the die penetrates so you can roll more than the max; I hit for 30+ damage with 4d4 once; the hit player was unhappy *G*). If both players roll nat 20s, the higher total wins.

* Combat in HM5e is in pseudo-real time instead of rounds. Everyone can act on every second, but attacks are limited by weapon speed as long as you are engaged.

If either player rolls a nat 1 and has the lowest result, it's a fumble and the other player gets to make a free attack on the next second.

The requirement that the nat 20 must also be the highest result to be a crit, and nat 1 must be the lowest to be a fumble, makes crits and fumbles occur slightly less than the standard 5% of the time, and I like that a lot better.

The newly released HackMaster Player's Handbook 5e adds a proper fumble table and splices it into Basic's system I just described, but our group voted unanimously to keep going with the simpler yet highly fun and exciting Basic system.

After I typed that, and while I waited for our Internet to come back up (it goes out every time the wind blows the lines; doesn't matter if we have Cable or DSL), I grabbed our delicious new PHB (there is nothing like the smell of leather) to see how its fumble table compared to the previewed one in an issue of Knights of the Dinner Table, and made a surprising discovery: it doesn't have one. So that paragaph should read:

An issue of Knights of the Dinner Table added a proper fumble table and spliced it into Basic's system I just described, but our group voted unanimously to keep going with the simpler yet highly fun and exciting Basic system.

About.me

Drive like you love your children

Through faith you have been saved by grace and not by works. -Ep 2:8-9

Grammar Made Easy – now there's no excuse for sounding like an idiot online.
Games From the Mind of fewilcox – my blog about writing; games, including, character sheets and other roleplaying accessories; and game design.

This thread has been moved by VCL request. 

If you have any questions, please contact:
Customer Service