Help my Leader/Striker be a little more leadery...

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
First, the build:

Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Zan, level 11
Dragonborn, Sorcerer/Ardent, Catalyst
Sorcerous Power Option: Sorcerous Power Strength
Ardent Mantle (Hybrid) Option: Mantle of Clarity (Hybrid)
Hybrid Ardent Option: Hybrid Ardent Fortitude
Hybrid Talent Option: Ardent Armor Proficiency
Psionic Augmentation (Hybrid) Option: Hybrid Power Point Option
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Light blade)
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Arcane Implement Proficiency Option: Arcane Implement Proficiency (heavy blade group)
Dragonborn Racial Power Option: Dragonfear
Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 11, DEX 16, INT 9, WIS 11, CHA 22

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 14, CON 10, DEX 14, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 17

AC: 26 Fort: 25 Ref: 23 Will: 26
HP: 84 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 21

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +13, Bluff +16, Diplomacy +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +8, Arcana +4, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +4, Heal +5, History +6, Insight +5, Intimidate +13, Nature +5, Perception +5, Religion +4, Stealth +7, Streetwise +11, Thievery +7

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragonfear
Ardent Feature: Ardent Surge
Sorcerer Attack 1: Acid Orb
Ardent Attack 1: Energizing Strike
Ardent Attack 1: Ire Strike
Sorcerer Attack 1: Explosive Pyre
Ardent Attack 1: Implanted Suggestion
Dragonborn Utility 2: Baleful Glance
Sorcerer Attack 3: Flame Spiral
Sorcerer Attack 5: Acidic Implantation
Ardent Utility 6: Escalating Fury
Warlord Attack 7: Lion's Roar
Sorcerer Attack 9: Prime the Fire
Sorcerer Utility 10: Narrow Escape
Catalyst Attack 11: Violent Impulse

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Sorcerous Blade Channeling
Level 4: Versatile Expertise
Level 6: Arcane Implement Proficiency
Level 8: Improved Defenses
Level 10: Mark of Healing
Level 11: Heavy Blade Opportunity

ITEMS
Amulet of Psychic Interference +2 x1
Siberys Shard of the Mage (heroic tier)
Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier) x1
Acrobat Boots x1
Rhythm Blade Dagger +2 x1
Veteran's Earthhide Armor +3 x1
Subtle Longsword +2 x1

Note: Equipment is below par because it has to be, it's a limitation built into the campaign.

====== End ======

Some background:

This guy is for a small party. Him plus a Mage, a Fighter, and an Avenger. Obviously, granting the Avenger attacks is a good thing; but I want to add some of my own damage to the mix as well as ranged oomph; that's why I went with Sorcerer rather than another Leader class. (I have a nice - if I say so myself - Ardent/Warlord build, but he's stuck in melee.)

I have a little bit of wiggle room; Sorcerous Blade Channeling can go (it's left over from a previous synergy build with the Avenger); and I'm not sure about Heavy Blade Opportunity. The purpose of it is so I can grant 11 temps with an OA, but I'm not sure how many OA's I'll be getting.

All the options seem to just add a bit to the heals I already have, which isn't really enough; I'm trying to figure out a way to add to the number of surges per encounter I can hand out. The only thing that occurs to me is MC Shaman, which will be my last resort, but I'd love to hear better alternatives.

Thanks, guys.
Sorc|Warlord. Much better.
Ire Strike and Single Ability dependency don't make Ardent worth it?
Those are good. Being a Leader when your party needs a leader is also pretty good. Warlords are better for this. You get two encounter minor heals (Fight On). You get access to utilities that allow you to heal as minor. You get access to dailies that allow you to heal. They are better enablers, and you're trying to be an enabler as well.

Lot of great potential, actually. Vengance is Mine for your e1. Sorcs have an MBA power. So you get an off-action attack with your Sorc damage mods. Death from Two Sides @13 will be good, as well.

I mean personally in a Striker/Defender/Controller group I'd just play a full leader, but if I want to be the only leader in a four person group and don't want to play a full leader, the only thing I'd hybrid is Warlord|something. Unless you went for a Leader|Leader hybrid, of course. This'd be a great party for any of the Switch builds, actually.
Seconded.  If you're allowed a rebuild, hybrid Warlord is quite a bit more powerful than Ardent.  And Dragonborn are perfect for splitting Str/Cha.

I wouldn't call Ardent's Single Ability dependant either.  They rely quite alot on a secondary Con or Wis in many of the Ardent's best powers.