7/31/2012 RC: "David Bowie's Army"

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's ReConstructed, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
There has to be room in that deck for a Hellion Crucible or two, right?  Every other land taps for red.  And if Goblin Fireslinger is attacking rather than pinging, would it be a wise choice to include Goblin Gaveleer instead as that last one drop?  With so many lords, trample seems relevant, even if you're not equiping it.  I love how the three months with two core sets in standard are always the best times to play goblins.
Yeah I sent him a deck a few weeks ago similar to what we ended up with, except it had gaveleer and equipments - I posted it here community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
I know it's not new, but the Blinking Lotus deck does have an impressive suite of X spells.
I would really like to know why the Galvanic Blasts are on the original list.  That whole deck has only 4 artifacts.  It is no different than Shock about 99% of the time in the deck so why not just use shocks?  There also could have been another couple of Pillar of Flames if you don't want shocks.

Other than that very minor confusion the deck seems neat.  Sadly most of it goes away in ~3 months and the nature of the original Ravnica block wasn't conducive to a mono red goblin deck so I don't expect this one to be as they have mentioned using the guilds for RtR block. 
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I would really like to know why the Galvanic Blasts are on the original list.  That whole deck has only 4 artifacts.  It is no different than Shock about 99% of the time in the deck so why not just use shocks?

Because Galvanic Blast is strictly better than shock. What advantage would you ever get from using shock instead?
I would really like to know why the Galvanic Blasts are on the original list.  That whole deck has only 4 artifacts.  It is no different than Shock about 99% of the time in the deck so why not just use shocks?

Because Galvanic Blast is strictly better than shock. What advantage would you ever get from using shock instead?

While it is "strictly better" in the sense that you "could" potentally get enough artifacts out for it to do 4 damage, the fact of the matter is that you would need 3 of the 4 artifacts in the deck to get it to work.  The odds of that happening are practically zero before counting removal and use of the artifact.

Also, I mentioned Pillar of Flame.  Galvanic Blast may have the fact that it is an instant and the "potental" 4 damage over it but the fact that PoF exiles the creature can give some advantage.

Another thing I said is that what I am pointing out is very minor.

I would really like to know why the Galvanic Blasts are on the original list.  That whole deck has only 4 artifacts.  It is no different than Shock about 99% of the time in the deck so why not just use shocks?  There also could have been another couple of Pillar of Flames if you don't want shocks.

You mean like the 4 Sphere of the Suns in the deck Brian Kibler used to win Pro Tour Dark Ascension after burning out Jon Finkel?  (I'm being unfair, Kibler also had Inkmoth Nexus to help.)  Even if it's only better 1% of the time, why wouldn't you want that 1%?  If you're trying to win 19 rounds of a Pro Tour, you need every bit you can get.  And even if you're just playing at your kitchen table it can make for a really dramatic ending.

So put Shock aside.  Pillar of Flames is probably a better option what with Undying and other graveyard tricks around.  You could make a case for why it's preferable to G. Blast.  But don't take any advantage for granted and just throw it away because it's "unlikely".

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

You mean like the 4 Sphere of the Suns in the deck Brian Kibler used to win Pro Tour Dark Ascension after burning out Jon Finkel?  (I'm being unfair, Kibler also had Inkmoth Nexus to help.)  Even if it's only better 1% of the time, why wouldn't you want that 1%?  If you're trying to win 19 rounds of a Pro Tour, you need every bit you can get.  And even if you're just playing at your kitchen table it can make for a really dramatic ending.

So put Shock aside.  Pillar of Flames is probably a better option what with Undying and other graveyard tricks around.  You could make a case for why it's preferable to G. Blast.  But don't take any advantage for granted and just throw it away because it's "unlikely".

I agree that mentioning Shock was wrong as Galvanic Blast is in fact superior.  However, as you pointed out yourself, Brian Kibler had up to 8 artifacts which makes it much more likely to be able to use the 4 damage of Galvanic Blast.  Not to mention that Sphere of the Suns and Inkmoth Nexus remain on the field as long as the opponent doesn't destroy them.  Shrine of Burning Rage is meant to be used up, is quite a removal magnet, and you have to get 3/4s of them for GB to work compared to 3/8 for Kibler's deck. 

I don't throw an advantage away when opportunities to use it are "unlikely", I throw an advantage away when the chances are "nigh impossible" and there is a better option available.   As far as I am concerned, PoF is a better option than GB in the deck.  The only case I can make for GB is that it is an instant but so is Brimstone Volly along with SoBR and Spikeshot Elder that can be activated at instant speed.
I would personally cut a Krenko, a Automaton and a land for 3 main incinerates.
I like having some more burn in a red deck, and i have never been really imressed by the Automaton, 3 legendary creatures at the top end of your curve seems plenty to me, and with a low curve 22 lands are enough i guess.
Anyway: trow in your thoughts on this.
Maybe not incinerate but pillar of flames? 
tho i think its a bit too late~ I would like to mention I did manage to get 4-0 twice in FMN with the exact same build and sideboarding at the correct time ^^