Ideas for a random critical hit / critical miss table

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello, Recently my players have expressed interest in utilizing a critical hit and critical miss effect table - instead of just doing max damage on a critical hit and ending the turn on a critical failure.  I am looking for advice, creativity and feedback to create a d20 table of effects for my players, aand wondering if anybody uses something similiar for their games.  For example - some ideas that I have come up with are:

for a critical hit:

- hit + deal ongoing damage equal to your surge value.

- hit + enemy is blinded

- hit + gain another standard action

- hit + gain a bonus to damage / attack rolls for the rest of the encounter

for a critical miss:

- deal attack damage to another random target

- loose all weapon enhancements until the end of the encounter

- stunned

Any ideas for additional effects etc. are welcomed and appreciated!
On a critical miss with an arcane power used after a teleport, the energy is fired off at a right angle to reality. The next time someone else rolls a critical the energy reappears. If it's a critical miss, the energy fouls their attack. If it's a critical hit, the energy augments their attack.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

Here is how we handle it...

1) Crit Success:
* if you crit on a daily/encounter, you dont expend the daily power and thus get to use it again.
* if you crit on a death saving throw, you stand back up at 50% health, regain the use of 1 encounter power and have a +2 to all attacks and defenses until end of encounter...think of enigo montoya at the end of princess bride...he's dying, he's failed, but wait...all is not lost...
* Otherwise, it's simply how crits work in 4e...max damage + addtional die rolls based on weapon.
* One other rule we have, which pertains to crits...in that crits do a lot of damage...if you do the bloodied value to a monster in 1 attack, that monster is stunned until the end of your next turn, in addition to all other damage. so if it's HP is 100 and you do 50 in 1 attack, it'll be stunned (thus lose 1 turn of actions) until the end of your next turn...

2) Crit Fail:
* when you roll a 1, you roll a saving throw...if you succeed, then no big deal, you simply miss...if you fail...then... (have 2 columns since one DM likes percent dice, the other d20)...realize that a lot of people hate crit fails, but our group likes them...so they all are happy with this...
Critical Failure        
Melee        
1-5    1    Dazed until EONT, Current Turn Ends
6-25    2-5    Drops Weapon (Minor to pick up)
26-45    6-9    Falls Prone
46-60    10-12    Provokes OA, else Falls Prone
61-75    13-15    Horribly Misses
76-85    16-17    Hits adjacent target (die roll), else misses
86-95    18-19    Miss, Current Turn Ends. On charge, provokes OA
96-100    20    Attack hits self for half damage
Mage        
1-5    1    Dazed until EONT, Current Turn Ends
6-25    2-5    Drops Implement (Minor to pick up)
26-45    6-9    Falls Prone
46-60    10-12    Provokes OA, else Falls Prone
61-75    13-15    Spell Fizzles
76-85    16-17    Spell Misfires 1d6 squares away
86-95    18-19    Spell Fizzles, Current Turn Ends
96-100    20    Spell targets caster for half damage
I originally had a system that was based on the Dark Sun weapon breakage rules.  If you roll a 1, you may choose to reroll the 1.  If the second roll was a 5 or less on the die, I had a small chart of "bad stuff" that could happen to you.  It was still possible to hit and fumble, and it made rolling a "1" far less of a "oh never mind, turn wasted".

Over time, I noticed that the incidents of a fumble were very rare, and the penalties weren't very scary for my party.  Currently I'm testing this version of the system:

Show

Chaos Theory: The Art of the Fumble REVISED

If, once per round, when making an attack roll, a player rolls a 1, they have the following option.  They may simply accept the attack as an automatic miss, without further penalty.  Alternately, they may re-roll the attack, but must accept the new roll, regardless of any ability or effect.  Should the die come up as a 9 or less, however, once the attack is resolved, their character suffers a setback.  Unless otherwise stated, penalties persist until the end of the current encounter.

Fumble Results Table (roll 1d10):

1-you cannot use opportunity actions or immediate actions until the start of your next turn.

2-you grant combat advantage until the start of your next turn.

3-the target of the attack can slide you one square as a free action.

4-you take a -2 penalty to your next attack roll.

5-you treat all squares as difficult terrain until the end of your next turn.

6-enemies adjacent to you may shift 1 square as a free action.

7-the next attack that hits you deals 5 additional damage.

8-you take a -2 to all defenses until the start of your next turn.

9-the target of the attack can make a basic attack against you as a free action.

10-you are weakened until you lose a healing surge as a free action.

"You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies." -The Doctor, Remembrance of the Daleks
Your players DO realize that, since they will roll far more attack rolls over the course of their careers than the monsters will (since monsters typically die during the encounter they appear), all this is doing is penalizing themselves, right?
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Sign In to post comments