Wrath of Ashardalon: confusing rule book so a few questions about tactics

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
1) if monsters move adjacent to a hero as per their tactic, and attack, do they just sit there next turn and simply make a basic attack again since they are still next to a hero?

2) there are many times monsters are equa distant to two heroes, how is this resolved when they move adjacent to closest hero. do the heroes pick where the monsters go?

3) what if a hero is so surrounded a monster cannot get next to him or her

4) a hero only moves and uses tactics for monsters he or she controls on their turn correct? NOT every monster?

So I guess another question would be can a monster simply do NOTHING on a turn or MUST it follow a tactic if it is next to a hero? For example should I literally move the monster adjacent to the closest hero and THEN have it swing a sword (like literally have it move one square over if it is already next to a hero)

or just stand there and attack if it is already near a hero?
1) if monsters move adjacent to a hero as per their tactic, and attack, do they just sit there next turn and simply make a basic attack again since they are still next to a hero?

2) there are many times monsters are equa distant to two heroes, how is this resolved when they move adjacent to closest hero. do the heroes pick where the monsters go?

3) what if a hero is so surrounded a monster cannot get next to him or her

4) a hero only moves and uses tactics for monsters he or she controls on their turn correct? NOT every monster?

So I guess another question would be can a monster simply do NOTHING on a turn or MUST it follow a tactic if it is next to a hero? For example should I literally move the monster adjacent to the closest hero and THEN have it swing a sword (like literally have it move one square over if it is already next to a hero)

or just stand there and attack if it is already near a hero?

If the monster is adjacent to a hero, follow the monster’s text for "If the Whatever is adjacent to a Hero," or if that text isn’t present use the text that says “If the Whatever is within 1 tile of a Hero.” Also, if the monster is already adjacent to a hero you needn’t move it again since it’s already within one tile and adjacent to a hero.

If the monster’s distance to the closest heroes is equal, the players get to decide which hero the monster attacks. You can play this in favor of the heroes or play it against them, whichever you decide.

If a hero becomes surrounded by monsters, you’ll have to use your own judgement. You might move the monster as close as possible and have it wait for one of its allies to bite the dust, or have it move toward the next closest hero.

You only active the monsters you control unless multiples of one monster are in play. If you and another player each have an Orc smasher, then both would activate during your villain phase. Villain characters also activate during every player’s villain phase.

Yeah.  In the case of having two adventurers equidistant from a monster, the player who controls the monster gets to decide where it goes.  That's part of the strategy of the game.  Just remember that the players are a team, and that if one person is at 0 hit points and no healing surges remain, the team loses.

It may be that the wizard player sends the monster after the fighter.  But, if the fighter is on his last hit point, the wizard may just have to bite the bullet and take a hit for the team to keep the game going. 

You only active the monsters you control unless multiples of one monster are in play. If you and another player each have an Orc smasher, then both would activate during your villain phase. Villain characters also activate during every player’s villain phase.

It's been a while and I don't have the rules at hand, but isn't this last bit only applicable to the Grell which specifically mentions it? I could be wrong, but I don't remember it being standard that every monster of a given kind activates if one does. Villains do though.

It's been a while and I don't have the rules at hand, but isn't this last bit only applicable to the Grell which specifically mentions it? I could be wrong, but I don't remember it being standard that every monster of a given kind activates if one does. Villains do though.

I don't have the rule books in front of me, but I'm certain that all monsters of a given name will activate during the villain phase of a player that controls at least one copy of the monster.

In addition, the active player is the one who makes all of the rolls and decisions for each of the monsters.

Also, if a monster is killed, you can remove any copy of the monster card that you want if there are multiple copies in play. We do this often because it can help the party take fewer attacks in the game.

For example, in a 4 player game, if you have Players A, B, C, and D (in that order) and player B and D both control an Orc Smasher, if Player A kills one, Player A can choose to remove the card from Player B OR from Player D. In most cases, removing the copy in Player B's control is the better choice because that means the remaining Orc Smasher won't activate until it is Player D's turn. That gives Players B, C, and D an opportunity to take it out.

Fun games! 

I don't have the rule books in front of me, but I'm certain that all monsters of a given name will activate during the villain phase of a player that controls at least one copy of the monster.

In addition, the active player is the one who makes all of the rolls and decisions for each of the monsters.

Also, if a monster is killed, you can remove any copy of the monster card that you want if there are multiple copies in play. We do this often because it can help the party take fewer attacks in the game.

For example, in a 4 player game, if you have Players A, B, C, and D (in that order) and player B and D both control an Orc Smasher, if Player A kills one, Player A can choose to remove the card from Player B OR from Player D. In most cases, removing the copy in Player B's control is the better choice because that means the remaining Orc Smasher won't activate until it is Player D's turn. That gives Players B, C, and D an opportunity to take it out.

Fun games! 

Yep....there's a statement in the book somewhere that says when a creature activates, all copies of that creature also go.  Which means if there's multiples, they become twice (or 3 times!) as deadly.  It usually behooves the heros to kill a monster who has a twin on the board, rather than necessarily going after the bigger monster.