Moo

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is a deck that I've been working on with a buddy of mine. He doesn't have an account here so I'm posting it for him. It's a combination of Zoo and Maverick. It's really a deck built around exalted and is pretty creature heavy. I think it has potential but has a long way to go. Let me know what you think!

Creatures
Noble Hierarchx4

Wild Nacatlx4

Akrasan Squirex4

Qasali Pridemagex4

Gaddock Teegx1

Scavenging Oozex1

Isamaru, Hound of Kondax2

Rafiq of the Manyx4

Sublime Archangelx4

Spells

Green Sun's Zenithx4

Swords to Plowsharesx4

Rancorx4

Lands

Tundrax4

Tropical Islandx4

Savannahx4

Plateaux4

Misty Rainforestx2

Arid Mesax2

The sideboard is still up for grabs, obviously some graveyard hate but any suggestions on that would be greatly appreciated!
It looks interesting, but it's a little too all-in on the Exalted plan. Some of the creatures with Exalted are just worse choices than normal Zoo Creatures. For instance, Akrasan Squire should be Loam Lion. Rafiq should not eb a 4-of, and you absolutely need 4 Goyfs. Rancor is meh, and your Exalted plan would be oh so happy if you had some Swords.

Other than that, it looks interesting. Keep working at it and see where it goes!
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
Goyfs are obvious, just don't have the money right now. We've been collecting off and on since the begining hence the duals, just so happens we missed Futuresight lol. The Squire is actually really good, better than I expected. Nacatl on turn 1, turn 2 put down Squire and Hierarch and swing for 5. Its happened multiple times actually. I play reanimator and he made Reanimate obsolete with his attacks. Rancor gives trample which destroys chump blockers. The swords are actually a pretty good idea. Rafiq is the game ender, and he will be targeted heavily so 4 i think is fair. Like I said, we have to test it a lot more, but I think it could actually be pretty good. Any input on the sideboard would be much appreciated. We were thinking Beast Within for Maze of Ith and other troublesome noncresture stuff. Obviously Tormods Crypt or Relic of Progenitus for graveyard hate, Path to exile for really creature heavy decks. After that Im not too sure. Thanks for the comment!
Rafiq being the finisher is exactly why I mentioned cutting him to 2 or 3. 4-of something says "I want to see this in my opening hand, hopefully in multiples." A finisher, on the other hand, should be thought of as "I want to see this by turn 4 or 5, but I don't wan't multiples or early copies clogging my hand." 4 mana is a lot in Legacy, especially in 3 colors. Hopefully, you're putting so much pressure on with 5/5s on turn 3 or 4, that they must use their removal early to live. If not, keep swinging until they are forced to do something. Then drop Rafiq and surprise them with a sudden 4/5 doublestrike Noble.

Squire is good, and fits the theme, but there are better non-themed options. Loam Lion is always good, while Squire is mediocre without a swinger or more Exalted guys. Suppose your Nacatl eats removal? You are now swinging with a fairly unimpressive 2/2. Squire is only good with at least 2 other creatures out. Loam Lion can also make Reanimate unusable, swinging for 3-4 in the first couple turns and then being backed by a Nacatl within a turn or two. Exalted gets very powerful, but sometimes you can swing for more with 2 or 3 creatures, and for those situations, you should be careful not to be a slave to your theme.

Maze of Ith is not played at all, anywhere. Beast Within is still a decent idea, however. With Exalted you should be able to clock faster then their creatures while not encouraging the beast token to block your 5/5 or 6/6 attacker. 
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
Maze of Ith is not played at all, anywhere.

what? it's great in lands and as a knight of the reliquary target
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.

Lands was already a niche deck, and its now doubly less common as it folds over to Reanimator and RUG Delver, two critical decks right now. As far as i know, Maze was largely replaced by Karakas in most decks as the creatures you need to Maze are better off bounced.
Photobucket
It's still played in Maverick variants.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO

Lands was already a niche deck, and its now doubly less common as it folds over to Reanimator and RUG Delver, two critical decks right now. As far as i know, Maze was largely replaced by Karakas in most decks as the creatures you need to Maze are better off bounced.

even if both of those were true (and I'm fairly certain the latter isn't), his statement would still be wrong
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
zpikduM, you are mistaken about Maze of Ith. It's a great card in any deck that plays Knight of the Reliquary, which today means Maverick, Bant Aggro and Junk. It does a lot of things in those decks. Aside from its obvious use - untapping an opponent's creature - it can also untap your own creature, even after combat damage is dealt. This is obviously very useful with the Knight, who can then and tutor up something. In combat involving Thalia, who has first strike, it can untap her or a creature she's fighting after she deals combat damage. It's great against equipped creatures that you can't, or don't want to, block.
In Legacy, Blue is the best color. Let's punish blue, in Modern. And they listened!
zpikduM, you are mistaken about Maze of Ith. It's a great card in any deck that plays Knight of the Reliquary, which today means Maverick, Bant Aggro and Junk. It does a lot of things in those decks. Aside from its obvious use - untapping an opponent's creature - it can also untap your own creature, even after combat damage is dealt. This is obviously very useful with the Knight, who can then and tutor up something. In combat involving Thalia, who has first strike, it can untap her or a creature she's fighting after she deals combat damage. It's great against equipped creatures that you can't, or don't want to, block.

I didn't say Maze was bad,  I said Lands.dek is bad [which it is]. However, before my statement I did forget about a lot of the combat tricks involved with Maze, so its a lot better then thought.
Photobucket
Personally I feel that Exalted is not a build-around mechanic. It's very good to have on small, cheap utility creatures such as Noble Hierarch and Qasali Pridemage that will just stand there while Knight of the Reliquary attacks. It is wasted on expensive beatsticks such as Rafiq and Archangel, because expensive beatsticks don't really belong in Legacy in the first place, and because the extra +1/+1 makes less of a difference if the creature in question is already big.

Now regarding Tarmogoyf: it's not as widely played as he used to be. I wouldn't bother buying any unless you want to play RUG Delver.
In Legacy, Blue is the best color. Let's punish blue, in Modern. And they listened!