Relentless Rats Commander

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=36...

Any ideas for the commander, or ways to protect the rats from board wipes?
Marrow-Gnawer  great general for relentless rats decks.  also Dash Hopes or hope the board wipe is white and then  Stromgald Cabal would work. otherwise your kinda outta luck
Eldrazi monument.

Bloodbond march. Play savra, queen of the golgari as commander.

3DH4LIF3

Desperate Research, Ratcatcher, Swarmyard, Thrumming Stone, Aether Vial on3  counters, Soul Foundry, Mikaeus, the Unhallowed is good anti-board-wipe.

I like the Bloodbond March idea, but if you're doing that I think you could find a better general than Savra.  Green would also give you Overrun effects, and the Rats would love trample.
Desperate Research, Ratcatcher, Swarmyard, Thrumming Stone, Aether Vial on3  counters, Soul Foundry, Mikaeus, the Unhallowed is good anti-board-wipe.

I like the Bloodbond March idea, but if you're doing that I think you could find a better general than Savra.  Green would also give you Overrun effects, and the Rats would love trample.

not without adding a third color.

There are ten choices that I can think of in black green. these guys, Rhys the Exiled and Thelon of Havenwood.

Savra allows for cool things to happen with Carnage Altar, Ashnod's Altar, Phyrexian Altar etc. The other commanders don't scream "play approx. 35 of the same creature!" to me.

EDIT: Kresh the blood braided might be good as a commander of the rats if you went green. 

3DH4LIF3

The other commanders don't scream "play approx. 35 of the same creature!" to me.

Neither does Savra.  No commander does that.  None of the BG ones really work towards the Rat plan, so you're better off looking at which are good in the deck or which are good on their own.
Sapling of Colfenor can draw you extra rats, Vhati il-Dal screws up combat math or makes removal easy.  Personally, without using a third color I would do the Sapling, but I would rather look for one that actually works with the Rats instead of just being there for the colors.
The other commanders don't scream "play approx. 35 of the same creature!" to me.

Neither does Savra.  No commander does that.  None of the BG ones really work towards the Rat plan, so you're better off looking at which are good in the deck or which are good on their own.
Sapling of Colfenor can draw you extra rats, Vhati il-Dal screws up combat math or makes removal easy.  Personally, without using a third color I would do the Sapling, but I would rather look for one that actually works with the Rats instead of just being there for the colors.

then the bloodbond march is out the window. There are no flavorful or mechanical creatures that will play well with the rats other than Marrow-Gnawer.

Drawing cards with Sapling is ok. Vhati and combat math should be the least of ones worries with a rats deck.   Getting an Innocent Blood for sac'ing a dude to another effect because of savra seemed like the best deal if one were to play bloodbond march.

Savra

35 or so rats
all the coolest tutors
Some ramp and some green utility creatures.
plenty of useful sac outlets.
Bloodbond March
Door of Destinies

Coat of Arms
Akroma's Memorial

and you have the makings of a fun rats deck.             

3DH4LIF3

Genesis Wave is another way to crap another a bunch of rats in a deck.

I tried Skullbriar as my Relentless Rats general, but the deck ended up being focused on making him lethal; In other words, not good.

The best way I had rats working was with a mono-black Marrow-Gnawer deck.  Equip Thornbite Staff and infinite, semi-unblockable rats!!

I may try to get the rats to work again in again, because Bloodbond March is too worth it, imo.

Haste enablers that are rather necessary when crapping out rats:

Akroma's Memorial
Concordant Crossroads

I would also play around with Lifeline.  If you have a sac outlet, you can kill all your rats in response to a wrath, and they will all come back into play while you opponents would be without creatures (creatures only come back if another creature was still in play).  It's a dangerous card to use, as people love to get free recursion with sac effects, but at least it is a return trigger for end-of-turn, so you can exile things from their graveyard before then.

Back to Marrow-Gnawer, if you try to go the Relentless Rats route, just make sure to have some other rats in the deck to use in case you get a Memoricide used against you.
Thanks, the feedback rocks. I've updated accordingly.
If someone plays memoricide to combat a relentless rats deck either 1. That guy needs to be punched in the face. Or 2. Rats are way better than I suspected.

3DH4LIF3

If someone plays memoricide to combat a relentless rats deck either 1. That guy needs to be punched in the face. Or 2. Rats are way better than I suspected.

In all fairness I would use it just for stopping Prime Time or combo players
I'd use Balthor the Defiled. You get board wiped, he'll bring them all back straight to the battlefield.
@MRHblue- really? There are so many other better cards. Shred memory, even faerie macabre.

3DH4LIF3

So I've been looking more into using green, and it looks really good.  Here's just a quick list of what I've found: Pack Hunt, Bifurcate, Doubling Chant, Creakwood Liege, Echoing Courage, Verdant Succession (with something to make your Rats green, Distorting Lens is all I've thought of so far), maybe Dual Nature or Nantuko Shrine.  Then there's the typical green ramp and creature buffs.

At the moment I'm considering Damia as the general just as a draw engine.  Blue adds Mask of the Mimic, Retraced Image, and Mitotic Manipulation, plus generally good draw and counter spells.  There's also Clone effects, which can be basically Rats with added utility.

Incidentally, white adds Remembrance.  But I haven't found much else worth adding white.
@MRHblue- really? There are so many other better cards. Shred memory, even faerie macabre.

I guess I just meant it was not a relentless-rats-only-card.
Oh... I think it is... ;)

3DH4LIF3

holy crap why didn't i realise this earlier the mimeoplasm would be perfect as it becomes a relentless rat! plus it give you the green ramp and copying and blue cloning and draw!

In all fairness I would use it just for stopping Prime Time or combo players

I'd much rather have Bitter Ordeal, Sad Sac, or Jester's Cap and take out multiple combos at once. Unless you're running those also, I'd think it'd be tough to make the case you aren't just hating on the rat deck by running Cranial Extraction/Memoricide.
How about you look to the future in RTR, [ICD] Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/oQoEq.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/cH6Sm.gif)
Since you're running nearly 40 creatures, it may not be a bad idea to keep a copy of Mortal Kombat in, just in case you get swept multiple times, and have a ton of rat corpses.  Just as an additional wincon.
How has no one mentioned Patron of the Nezumi?

Flash him in in response to any boardwipe, kill or cripple an opponent.