Do not need to eat or Drink

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey ho, what races/classes have a feat or ability that means you do not have to eat or drink. 

For example, the Shardminds Living Construct rule(this is perfect for my purposes, but I need to know some others). 

We are about to play some Darksun, and I need to who and what can avoid eating and drinking. 
I think it is only the Shardminds that don't need nourishment. I just Googled it, and that's all I could find. Hope that helps.
I fight for freedom. I fight for justice. I fight for honor. I fight for VENGEANCE.Beware, all you monsters, all you villains, for you have unleashed the wrath of Edward Darkforest. May your god have pity on your soul. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDDGJr6LOiw&feature=share Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
I know there is a feat that allows Vampires to do something similar. 
I know ther is a utillity power for vryloka that lets them ignore normal food for X amount of time after using their racial power.

If the Vampire base class dose not start with the no food feature I do not think they gain it latter. 
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
warforged being living constructs, and revenant there is a feat that stops eating, breathing and something else.
If you're playing in a Dark Sun campaign, your DM quite probably won't allow any game element that allows characters to completely ignore starvation and thirst, since that would sort of defeat the point of the setting. The DSCS book even advises DMs not to allow rituals that create food and water.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

Bard ritual, Song of Sustenance.  You and up to 9 other medium sized creatures no longer need food or drink for 48 hours.  As a bard, you can cast 1 free ritual per day, so every other day you use this one.  Level 8.  Requires a focus item though.
Ours is a world where people don't know what they want, and are willing to go through hell to get it. -Don Marquis
There's feat for Wilden in HotFeywild which removes the need to eat or sleep, but you'd still need to drink.
warforged being living constructs, and revenant there is a feat that stops eating, breathing and something else.

being a living creature.  ;)

Edit: Also, there is a ring or a waist slot item which lets you go without eating and drinking. 
> If you're playing in a Dark Sun campaign, your DM quite probably won't allow
> any game element that allows characters to completely ignore starvation and
> thirst, since that would sort of defeat the point of the setting.

It sounds as though the player doesn't really like that aspect of the setting, and the DM will need to account for that.
Play a Halfling - then you can eat party members who fall in combat. 
It sounds as though the player doesn't really like that aspect of the setting, and the DM will need to account for that.

Well, sure. I'm all for DMs catering to their players' preferences. But, as a DM, if a player told me he didn't want his character to have to deal with hunger and thirst, I'd interpret that as him not really wanting to play in a Dark Sun campaign. Likewise, if I told my players to come up with characters suitable for a DS campaign, I'd expect them to realise that meant no gnomes or clerics, that arcane characters come with some heavy RP baggage, and that game elements that allow characters to flat out ignore the biggest challenges of the setting are not appropriate.

If the OP is the only player in the group with this particular preference, then maybe he should find a different group that's running a campaign he will actually enjoy. Conversely, if the other players feel as he does, then maybe the DM shouldn't be running a DS campaign.

In a lot of cases, a DM can (and should) cater to different tastes within the same campaign, but that's really not possible here, IMO. Either privation is an issue in the campaign or it isn't. If one player is essentially gaming the system to opt out of the biggest environmental challenges in a campaign whose sine qua non is "this is such a hostile world that even the environment is actively trying to kill us", then that's grossly unfair to the other players. Those game elements are balanced around the idea that starvation and dehydration are rarely an issue in most campaigns. In a DS campaign, those game elements are massively overpowered, which is why the advice to DMs in the DSCS book is simply to ban them.

But most of that is JMO. The OP's DM might be less hard-line about it and be content to run what's essentially just a generic D&D campaign with added sand and sorcerer-kings. The point of my post was to warn the OP not to be disappointed or frustrated if his DM says "LOLNO!" to his "I don't need to eat or drink" character because it doesn't fit the campaign. It would really suck if he loaded his character up on rituals, only to turn up to the game and find the DM won't allow any of them to function because he's following the advice in the DSCS.

To the OP: Discuss this with your DM before you start building your character. Heck, if you, he and the rest of the group collectively decide that none of you want to bother with hunger and thirst and tracking rations, then you might not even have to devote any character building resources to opting out of those challenges because they simply won't arise.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."