It that betrays and replacement abilities

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello,

Simple question:
I control a Leyline of the void and I attack with It that betrays, my opponent sacrifices, let's say, two plains.

Do I get them?

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

After looking through the rules, I see no reason why you wouldn't get them. Zone-change Triggers will look for the card in the zone it moved to - in this case it's just the exile zone instead of the graveyard. The sacrificed cards still only move to one zone - as opposed to being moved once, then being moved again by another effect. The trigger should be able to find them in exile.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

After looking through the rules, I see no reason why you wouldn't get them. Zone-change Triggers will look for the card in the zone it moved to - in this case it's just the exile zone instead of the graveyard. The sacrificed cards still only move to one zone - as opposed to being moved once, then being moved again by another effect. The trigger should be able to find them in exile.

That's what I thought, thanks.

Rules Advisor

How to autocard :

Note that it will only return to the battlefield if it didn't change zones from when the trigger was put onto the stack to when it resolves. Even if it goes to the same zone again (e.g. from exile to graveyard and then exile again before the trigger resolves), it still wont work
Note that it will only return to the battlefield if it didn't change zones from when the trigger was put onto the stack to when it resolves. Even if it goes to the same zone again (e.g. from exile to graveyard and then exile again before the trigger resolves), it still wont work

Yup, indeed. That I knew, I wanted to check when there was a replacement effect.

Cheers.

Rules Advisor

How to autocard :

After looking through the rules, I see no reason why you wouldn't get them. Zone-change Triggers will look for the card in the zone it moved to...

In fact, Leyline's last ruling seems to confirm your interpretation,
albeit for the «discard» situation, instead of the «sacrifice» one:

If your opponent discards a card while you control Leyline of the Void, abilities that function when that card is discarded (such as Liliana's Caress's ability, or a madness ability of the discarded card) still work, even though that card never reaches that player's graveyard. In addition, spells or abilities that check the characteristics of the discarded card (such as Chandra Ablaze's first ability) can find that card in exile.

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one thousand, people might notice;

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Now you know why taxes always go up.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true">In addition, spells or abilities that check the characteristics of the discarded card (such as Chandra Ablaze's first ability) can find that card in exile.

Yup! :D

It'll find it as long as it doesn't switch zone again. Thanks to all!

Rules Advisor

How to autocard :

603.6. Trigger events that involve objects changing zones are called “zone-change triggers.” Many abilities with zone-change triggers attempt to do something to that object after it changes zones. During resolution, these abilities look for the object in the zone that it moved to. If the object is unable to be found in the zone it went to, the part of the ability attempting to do something to the object will fail to do anything. The ability could be unable to find the object because the object never entered the specified zone, because it left the zone before the ability resolved, or because it is in a zone that is hidden from a player, such as a library or an opponent’s hand. (This rule applies even if the object leaves the zone and returns again before the ability resolves.) The most common zone-change triggers are enters-the-battlefield triggers and leaves-the-battlefield triggers.

It That Betrays' trigger can even find a commander in the command zone.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out