New way to play the game

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I'm going to a party later today and there will be lots of MTG. I'm expecting a couple games of two-headed giant, a couple Free for alls, and a couple of 1v1 games.

But I got to thinking... wouldn't it be cool if I could create a deck for a 7+ player game that had cards like scrambleverse, or enormous amounts of stuffy dolls and clones etc., Horobi, Death's Wail and/or cauldron of souls

Except that a 7 player free for all would take forever and people would get bored.

Again, I got to thinking... perhaps we could institute some rules that would make a huge FFA fun for everyone. What do you think about this idea?

• All sorcery cards have 'flash.'

• Before the game begins, each player searches their deck for a basic land and puts that card into play, then shuffles their deck.

• Any time a card says 'you,' replace the text with 'target player.'

And that's the whole format. It turns MTG into a diplomacy game. Cards like Angel's Mercy take on a whole new meaning. Cards like leyline of sanctity are especially changed.

Of course, that last one is a little crudely written. You'd need to apply a little common sense in most cases.

What do you think?
And that's the whole format. It turns MTG into a diplomacy game. Cards like Angel's Mercy take on a whole new meaning. Cards like leyline of sanctity are especially changed.

The leyline wouldn't work then?

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Actually, I was thinking that it would essentially be "Target player gains hexproof."

Which could be more a curse than a blessing. 

Actually, I was thinking that it would essentially be "Target player gains hexproof."

Enchantment don't target, you shoud change it to an aura then.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Enchantment don't target, you shoud change it to an aura then.

No need to overcomplicate things, I understood what he meant perfectly fine. "You" = "Target Player".

Have you ever tried chaos magic?
community.wizards.com/magicthegathering/...

Last game I played an 8 player FFA, and someone made me discard a card on Turn 1, so I got rid of Wurmcoil Engine. Begining of my 1st turn my effect was exhume, so I was pumped. Before I got a chance to attack with it, someone else got a control target creature effect, and stole it. Was a pretty entertaining game. You can get an app on a smartphone to automate the whole chaos process too which makes it easy.
Sign In to post comments