Spiked Chain fighter?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was considering making a fighter and I heard about about an interesting concept called "Spiked chain fighters" and I was wondering if something like that is viable or even possible in 4e?
The spiked chain is a weapon in the PHB. An Fighter with the Arena Fighter build from the Dark Sun book probably uses it best- wear light armor, keep your DEX high, take Flail Expertise and the Footwork Lure power, and you can prone enemies at-will at level 1.
Slayer is also decent, though with the Light Blade option for a Spiked Chain, rather than Flail.

level 4
Human, Slayer
Human Power Selection: Heroic Effort
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 17, Con 12, Dex 19, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 16, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 12.

AC: 19 Fort: 19 Reflex: 18 Will: 15
HP: 52 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 13

TRAINED SKILLS
Streetwise +8, Intimidate +8, Endurance +8, Athletics +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Arcana +1, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +1, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +1, Stealth +5, Thievery +5

FEATS
Human: Spiked Chain Training
Level 1: Light Blade Expertise
Level 2: Weapon Focus (Light Blade)
Level 4: Surprising Charge

POWERS
Slayer utility 1: Battle Wrath
Slayer utility 1: Berserker's Charge
Slayer utility 2: Single Out

ITEMS
Agile Chainmail +1, Vanguard Spiked chain +1, Cloak of Distortion +1, Swiftpad Boots (heroic tier)
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
what book is slayer in? Also, is that set up as effective as the one as 3.5? or is it just an imitation?

From what I read for the old one, it allowed Attacks of oppurtunity (with reach) which pushed enemies back, resulting in a continous combo that was deadly to melee.

In other words, does it still work as well or is it a pale imitation?
what book is slayer in? Also, is that set up as effective as the one as 3.5? or is it just an imitation?

From what I read for the old one, it allowed Attacks of oppurtunity (with reach) which pushed enemies back, resulting in a continous combo that was deadly to melee.

In other words, does it still work as well or is it a pale imitation?

Slayer is an Essentials class in 4e. It can be found in the Heroes of the Fallen Lands book.

What 'old one in 3.5' are you talking about? I'm not sure what you're trying to compare it to; and I'm not sure where you read that info.

Threatening Reach allows you to make OAs at your reach range I believe; I'll double check.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..

First of all, 4E is not 3.5... It plays by it's own set of rules (both literally and metaphorically), and what's mechanically ass-kickingly awesome in a 4E game can't be compared to what was great back in 3.5 - they're two completely different games.
Put everything you know about 3.5 out of your head and learn to see 4E as its own game.

So... basically, the 3.5 Machine Gun Tripper is dead.

In 4E, you don't get multiple attacks per round just for having a high attack bonus or being a certain level. 4E characters only get multiple attacks when their powers say they do. And tripping is a Standard action, so you can't generally trip someone and attack them in the same turn without spending an action point.

More importantly, everyone gets one opportunity action per each creature's turn and you can only make an opportunity attack against adjacent opponents, even if you have a reach weapon like a spiked chain or polearm.

This is what the 4E spiked chain user does...

Rather than being primarily a Striker build, the spiked chain fighter is a Defender/Controller - instead of knocking them down and hitting them repeatedly for huge damage, you knock them down and then drag them all over the battlefield - push them inbetween your party members for flanking, toss them into the wizard's zone spells, shove them off cliffs etc. You beat opponents by locking them down and preventing them from damaging the rest of the party - you're the boot on their neck while the others kick the crap out of them.

The Spiked Chain Training multiclass feat allows you to treat the spiked chain (normally a flail) as a double weapon and a light blade. Thus, the benefits of both flail feats and light blade feats apply... Light blades are one of the best-supported weapon types in the game, and flails can do all sorts of nasty things with the right feats. The Dragging Flail feat is integral to the build.

Essentially, spiked chain fighters are still "tripping" their opponents, they're just not using a specific "Trip" action to do it: Flails are heavily supported for knocking people prone on an attack and then dragging them one or more squares away. With the right combination of feats and powers, you have the option of sliding an opponent one square, but instead you use the feat that allows you to turn a slide into a prone, and then the rest of the combination that allows you to slide them again anyway - so you knock them prone and slide them with each attack.

It's not a high damage build unless you start out with a ranger, but it's exceptionally useful on a defender since you can basically throw your opponents wherever you want them, and they have to either waste a Move action standing up and then charge at you (since you put them outside your attack range) or stand up and just not attack for the turn.

What you want to do is check out the Character Optimization Forum just above this one - they can point you to everything you need to know to make an incredibly effective character.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Anyone who moves or makes a ranged attack in the area, you get to OA. Goliath stonebless is the prime way to get it. Polearm master also has it.

A creature that has threatening reach can make an opportunity attack against any enemy within its reach that provokes an opportunity attack.

Some creatures have an ability called threatening reach. This lets them make opportunity attacks against nonadjacent enemies. If an enemy leaves a square that’s within the creature’s reach, or if an enemy anywhere within the creature’s reach makes a ranged attack or an area attack, the creature can make an opportunity attack against that enemy.

That's it.

Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote: