How would you run this power?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
 In the Mantled Citadel module of the Scales of War adventure path, a bad guy has the following power:

Necrotic Web (Standard, recharge 4 5 6) F Necrotic, Zone; Area burst 3 within 20; targets living creatures;
+29 vs. Reflex; 2d6 + 12 necrotic damage, and the target is immobilized and takes ongoing 10 necrotic damage (save ends both). The burst creates a zone of webs that lasts until the end of the encounter. The zone is difficult terrain, and a living creature that ends its move in the web is immobilized and takes ongoing 10 necrotic damage (save ends both).

So if a character is caught in the web, they will usually only save at the end of their turn.  At which point they will be in the zone at the end of their turn, and will automatically be immobilized until they save.  So the only way to escape is to get a saving throw at some other point in the round, because otherwise you just rinse and repeat, right?

I'm just thinking this will seriously tick off my players.     

In the Mantled Citadel module of the Scales of War adventure path, a bad guy has the following power:

Necrotic Web (Standard, recharge 4 5 6) F Necrotic, Zone; Area burst 3 within 20; targets living creatures;
+29 vs. Reflex; 2d6 + 12 necrotic damage, and the target is immobilized and takes ongoing 10 necrotic damage (save ends both). The burst creates a zone of webs that lasts until the end of the encounter. The zone is difficult terrain, and a living creature that ends its move in the web is immobilized and takes ongoing 10 necrotic damage (save ends both).

So if a character is caught in the web, they will usually only save at the end of their turn.  At which point they will be in the zone at the end of their turn, and will automatically be immobilized until they save.  So the only way to escape is to get a saving throw at some other point in the round, because otherwise you just rinse and repeat, right?

I'm just thinking this will seriously tick off my players.     

Ending your turn is not the same as ending your move. Move refers to taking a move action. Don't move or only move out and you won't be immobilized.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

I'd say the worst part of the power is that it's easily rechargeable and creates a BIG zone that lasts until the end of the encounter. So, with a bit of luck on the recharge rolls, the entire combat zone will be covered in a couple of rounds, which sucks.
I'd say the worst part of the power is that it's easily rechargeable and creates a BIG zone that lasts until the end of the encounter. So, with a bit of luck on the recharge rolls, the entire combat zone will be covered in a couple of rounds, which sucks.

Yes, that would probably prevent the PCs from preventing the monster from accomplishing its goal. They'd probably have to hurry top catch up with it after the zones dissipated.

That's a very badly written power. If nothing else, the bit about creating a zone should be in a separate 'Effect' line. As written, the zone only gets created if the power hits at least one target, which I'm pretty sure wasn't the intent.

FWIW, I'd rewrite the power as follows:

Necrotic Web (standard action, recharge 4,5,6) Necrotic, Zone
Area burst 3 within 20 (each living creature in burst); +29 vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d6 + 12 necrotic damage, and the target is immobilized and takes ongoing 10 necrotic damage (save ends both).
Effect
: The burst creates a zone of webs that lasts until the end of the encounter. The zone is difficult terrain, and any living creature that moves into the zone on its turn and ends its turn there is immobilized and takes ongoing 10 necrotic damage (save ends both).

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

Maybe rather than re writing the power, you simply give Necrotic web a roleplay based usage? in the Monster Manual quite a lot of the tactics sections provide evidence that a lot of spells are only used after a certain trigger, for example whenever he is surrounded or sees a threat of being ganged up on and surrounded.

Rather than limiting the ability simply limit its uses. 
That's a very badly written power. If nothing else, the bit about creating a zone should be in a separate 'Effect' line. As written, the zone only gets created if the power hits at least one target, which I'm pretty sure wasn't the intent.

FWIW, I'd rewrite the power as follows:

Necrotic Web (standard action, recharge 4,5,6) Necrotic, Zone
Area burst 3 within 20 (each living creature in burst); +29 vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d6 + 12 necrotic damage, and the target is immobilized and takes ongoing 10 necrotic damage (save ends both).
Effect
: The burst creates a zone of webs that lasts until the end of the encounter. The zone is difficult terrain, and any living creature that moves into the zone on its turn and ends its turn there is immobilized and takes ongoing 10 necrotic damage (save ends both).

As pointed out above, if it creates the zone every time, the area would quickly be covered. So, perhaps it does require a hit to apply the web.

If you can't hit at least one target in a burst 3, something's gone terribly wrong anyway.

Maybe rather than re writing the power, you simply give Necrotic web a roleplay based usage? in the Monster Manual quite a lot of the tactics sections provide evidence that a lot of spells are only used after a certain trigger, for example whenever he is surrounded or sees a threat of being ganged up on and surrounded.

Rather than limiting the ability simply limit its uses.

That's sort of what I'm recommending: let the creature use the power as much and as effectively as it wants, but give it a reason to leave once it has immobilized all the PCs, or clogged the area with difficult terrain. Don't give monsters a goal that requires or even benefits from killing all the PCs.

As pointed out above, if it creates the zone every time, the area would quickly be covered. So, perhaps it does require a hit to apply the web.
If you can't hit at least one target in a burst 3, something's gone terribly wrong anyway.

*Shrug* My aim was to clarify the wording while keeping what appeared to be the intent of the power. On reflection, if I were ever to actually use that monster, I'd probably make some more changes, either reducing the number of uses for that power (I don't personally use the recharge dice mechanic anyway because I hate both bookkeeping and unnecessary dice-rolling) or making the zone only last one round.

As written, it's just the sort of fun-destroying "you can't do anything" power I'd feel like a crappy DM for ever throwing at my players.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

Necrotic Web (Standard, recharge 4 5 6) F Necrotic, Zone; Area burst 3 within 20; targets living creatures;+29 vs. Reflex; 2d6 + 12 necrotic damage, and the target is immobilized and takes ongoing 10 necrotic damage (save ends both). The burst creates a zone of webs that lasts until the end of the encounter. The zone is difficult terrain, and a living creature that ends its move in the web is immobilized and takes ongoing 10 necrotic damage (save ends both). 

I don't really see how this is going to be too much of a problem.  We are talking about a level...23(?)  monster.  At the level this attack is, the players will have teleports.  They will have ways to make extra saves.  They will be able to use attacks still.  Even at level 16, it's not that bad.

Other than that, I would say that the person can only have one zone at a time, and a new one would mean the end of the old zone.
Also, don't put it in a 5 by 5 room.  Should be fine then.