Something I've been pondering about the expansion decks

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
What if the expansion decks won't be the same decks that we actually get? No, I'm not talking about the decks changing colors or guilds, those seem fairly certain. The reason I'm pondering this possibility is partially due to the lack of Return to Ravnica cards in the decks. Let's look at the facts. DotP 2013 is meant to have tie-ins with paper magic, and we've seen this so far. Pick almost any of the 10 DotP decks, and you can build a stardand form of the deck, using a lot of the cards from the DotP deck. Talrand's deck for instance, you can use Fog Bank, Talrand, Sky Summoner, Talrand's Invocation, and back it up with counters and bounce, and you have a deck that feels very similar to the DotP deck. Granted, you won't have Panoptic Mirror  or any of those shenanigans, but the point still stands. Even the advertisements in DotP point you towards not just paper magic, but the standard format. The 5 decks we're getting in the expansion mirror the 5 guilds that will be featured in Return to Ravnica. Heck, even the preview week for M13 was tied into this game.

So why wouldn't we expect this trend to continue with the game's dlc? If you take any of the 5 spoiled expansion decks, a large majority of those cards are old cards (not that I'm complaining), so they won't be standard legal. There goes the ease of transitioning a DotP deck into a standard legal deck. Furthermore, a preview week wouldn't be able to tie into the DotP cards, since there's no RtR cards in these decks. I just can't see this being the case.

I think a good amount of cards will change by the release of the expansion to include more RtR cards in the new decks. I've heard they've done this sort of thing with past DotP games. But that raises the question of why RtR cards weren't in there to begin with. Perhaps Wizards knew we would discover the hidden decks, which is something else that has also happened in the past. Hence they decided not to put RtR cards in the hidden dlc decks yet, because they didn't want RtR cards to get spoiled too early. Makes you wonder about the promo codes, but perhaps there was no easy way for them to get around that other than hope that we don't discover them. So what do you guys think? Do you think we might see some RtR cards replace some of the current cards in the spoiled expansion decks?

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

I suppose it is possible.  It has been said in the past that they can make changes faster to paper cards than they can the digital ones (Yeva, Nature's Herald) so perhaps they didn't want to commit to them too early and then have a lot of edits to make.  The thing that makes me think that they will largely be what we see is how the promo codes worked out.  It appears that Wizards underestimated the power of consumers when deciding how to hide things.  So for me it all hinges on Wizards motivation.  Crystal clear right?
It has been stated a number of cards in RTR are straight reprints of Ravinca block cards. A number of DLC deck cards are Ravinca block.
It has been stated a number of cards in RTR are straight reprints of Ravinca block cards. A number of DLC deck cards are Ravinca block.

That would be a lot of reprints for a non-core set. They had some reprints in Scars of Mirrodin, but not that manay.

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

They never made any change to unreleased but discovered content before. So they won't be doing that now.

Actually, if you remember the thread from December 2011, the opening video of the Duels 2013 was leaked back then. Some of the people in here and Steam forums thought that video was for something else, some even claimed it was fan-made. In the end, it turned out to be accurate. I even suspected Wizards may have the CGI company make a few changes to it to show people that they actually make the effort. But each of the billion of pixels was the same and unchanged.

Which brings us to another point. Wizards makes their paper and video games almost a year before they are released. Even now, they are working on Duels 2014 and Core Set 2014 is probably ready or something. I suspect paper magic sets, especially, is made ready quite beforehand. Duels too, but to a certain point, because it borrows heavily from Core Sets (from this year forward).

That would be a lot of reprints for a non-core set. They had some reprints in Scars of Mirrodin, but not that manay.

I know they're not gonna reprint every DLC deck card from Ravinca in RTR. 

However, when I thought about it some more I realised it works out pretty perfectly for Wizards with regards to spoiling cards: If something iconic and recognisable - say, Wee Dragonauts (which I realise is not Doubling Season or Lightning Helix, but is obviously Izzet) - is reprinted in RTR with perhaps new art, new players can get it in their RTR booster and be like, hey, I just downloaded this in my D13 dlc. But it's not a spoiler for RTR that can be datamined as it's not actually a new card.
Actually makes me wonder if they remembered the data mining last year and these aren't QUITE the actual decklists - that some of the stuff is placeholders for RTR and they don't want us to know the names of those cards yet. That's crediting them with an awful lot of cleverness, but I suppose technically possible...

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Maybe the expasion will bring more unlocks for each deck, like in the past years. And those unlocks will consist of RTR cards.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

Sign In to post comments