7/30/2012 Draft Simulator

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Draft Simulator, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
all of my randoms:
Show
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
I think as a rule if BW exalted is available to you in this set, you take it and thank the magic gods for your good fortune.

I started off with mutilate over o-ring, which I think was a mistake, and then got greedy and picked Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker, reasoning that once I played him I would somehow autowin, but really it was because I wanted to play him. As it became clear that Blue and Green were open, and black was not, I abandoned that initial strategy, only to revive it again as a splash Bolas and two searing spear off farseek and two bolas gems.

This is not a deck I would have assembled if I was trying only to win, but it is a deck I would try for if I was playing for fun.

Four Color Bolas

Planeswalker (1)
Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker

Creatures (12)
2 x Fog Bank
1 x Wind Drake
2 x Elvish Visionary
2 x Kraken Hatchling
1 x Courtly Provocateur
2 x Scroll Thief
1 x Quirion Dryad
1 x Watercourser

Spells (10)
1 x Rancor
1 x Ring of Evos Isle
1 x Prey Upon
2 x Searing Spear
2 x Gem of Becoming
1 x Tricks of the Trade
1 x Farseek
1 x Predatory Rampage

Lands (17)
2 x Mountain
2 x Swamp
6 x Forest
7 x Island  

Exalted Growth Deck, green just for the rancor, also for the Quirion Dryad.

Round 1:
Oblivion Ring
Knight of Infamy
Knight of Glory
Aven Squire
Aven Squire
Ajani's Sunstriker
Rancor
Sunpetal Grove
Ring of Kalonia
Titanic Growth
Ring of Thune
Naturalize
Guardian Lions
Dark Favor
Plains

Round 2:
Prized Elephant
Safe Passage
Aven Squire
War Falcon
Crippling Blight
Safe Passage
Show of Valor
Quirion Dryad
Duty-Bound Dead
Bond Beetle
Crippling Blight
Divine Favor
Hydrosurge
Clock of Omens
Forest

Round 3:
Shimian Specter
Xathrid Gorgon
Servant of Nefarox
Attended Knight
Elvish Visionary
Mark of the Vampire
Safe Passage
Ajani's Sunstriker
Tormented Soul
Duty-Bound Dead
Silvercoat Lion
Archaeomancer
Craterize
Hydrosurge
Mountain

W/b Exalted

Round 1:
Oblivion Ring
Knight of Infamy
Knight of Glory
Aven Squire
Aven Squire
Ajani's Sunstriker
War Falcon
Duty-Bound Dead
Wind Drake
Disentomb
Show of Valor
Disentomb
Guardian Lions
Dark Favor
Plains

Round 2:
Battleflight Eagle
Safe Passage
Aven Squire
Divine Favor
Crippling Blight
Mind Rot
Divine Favor
Guardians of Akrasa
Duty-Bound Dead
Ranger's Path
Crippling Blight
Timberpack Wolf
Wall of Fire
Clock of Omens
Forest

Round 3:
Shimian Specter
Servant of Nefarox
Captain of the Watch
Attended Knight
Augur of Bolas
Ravenous Rats
War Falcon
Ajani's Sunstriker
Ravenous Rats
Duty-Bound Dead
Silvercoat Lion
Guardians of Akrasa
Glorious Charge
Hydrosurge
Mountain

I guess it turned out fine.  I'm not wild about Mutilate.  With Wrath of God, you have to scheme and manipulate to get a 2-for-1 or 3-for-1 while sacrificing a lot of life in the process.  Mutilate is often just worse, since its effectiveness varies greatly with how many Swamps you draw, and your plans could get radically derailed if a high-toughness creature shows-up.  Oblivion Ring is never a liability and it can consistently address a bomb so long as one shows up.
Interesting draft!! This feels like a solid control deck with plenty of bombs.  Being 3 colors though, mana might be an issue.  Also it might be a bit slow.

Round 1:
Mutilate
Void Stalker
Rise from the Grave
Wind Drake
Krenko's Command
Crippling Blight
Crimson Muckwader
Wind Drake
Kindled Fury
Kraken Hatchling
Disentomb
Vile Rebirth
Dark Favor
Plains

Round 2:
Courtly Provocateur
Faerie Invaders
Rise from the Grave
Sleep
Scroll Thief
Searing Spear
Gem of Becoming
Rewind
Duty-Bound Dead
Ring of Evos Isle
Rewind
Kraken Hatchling
Index
Clock of Omens
Forest

Round 3:
Shimian Specter
Servant of Nefarox
Captain of the Watch
Scroll Thief
Harbor Bandit
Ravenous Rats
Gem of Becoming
Sleep
Jace's Phantasm
Duty-Bound Dead
Unsummon
Archaeomancer
Craterize
Hydrosurge
Mountain

This is how I would build the deck:

Creatures:
1x Void Stalker
2x Wind Drake
1x Crimson Muckwader
1x Courtly Provocateur
1x Faerie Invaders
2x Scroll Thief
1x Shimian Specter
1x Servant of Nefarox
1x Harbor Bandit
1x Ravenous Rats
1x Archaeomancer

Spells:
1x Mutilate
1x Rise from the Grave
1x Krenko's Command
2x Sleep
1x Searing Spear
1x Ring of Evos Isle
1x Gem of Becoming
1x Rewind
1x Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker

Lands:
4x Mountain
6x Swamp
7x Island

Mutilate might not be super strong in this deck, but I am only expecting to mutilate with 2 or 3 swamps out which gets a large portion of the field.  It is a little slow and a little light on removal, but I could really see this getting there.  If not, it sure would be fun to play.
BW is the ideal draft with the combination of bombs, removal and the spice of exalted. These packs are every drafters dream (even if you derailed). I wouldn't blame people for wanting to take Mutilate over Oring with the prefered limited builds being very vulnerable to that player that takes all the bigger removal. Though it is a huge gamble to expect to get the supporting control cards that make Mutilate playable. Last FNM I sacrificed a solid creature base for all RB removal but thanks to the combination of opened rares Lili/Firewing/Quake  and matchups I barely ended up on top when I was expecting a first round loss. Though that is heavily luck reliant.
I ended with a similar BW as others. A splash of G for aggro or U for control seemed easily possible but the 3rd pack showed sticking with BW gave the most pay off. Rancor and Dryad were hate picks (please NEVER pass Rancor and Dryad so late on FIRST pack it is just to rediculous when you shouldn't be commited and they are splashable) Hate picking does seem pretty low but some cards are just to good a gift to give away like the combos mancers can do even with tabling cards like unsommon.

I kept the Blights out of the main build and instead use them for matchups. In this format I like playing the race aspect of it when given the tools. I have big bombs but due to my taste I run 16 land in what is a mostly a small curve(easy to muligan deck)

Creature:17
Captain of the Watch (the bomb during stalemate)
Xathrid Gorgon (I usually keep this in side because of personal taste but with the lack of Pacifisms, Verdicts and more removal it's essential)
Shimian Specter (evasion and scouting make this amazing in exalted)
x2 Ajani's Sunstriker (my favorite ability in limited)
Attended Knight (important ability and provides a chump)
Knight of Glory (basis of deck)
Knight of Infamy (basis of deck)
x3 Aven Squire (evasion+exalted which is the decks theme to win a race)
x2 Duty-Bound Dead (support)
x2 War Falcon (your main attackers)
x2 Tormented Soul (your main attackers)

Sorcery:1
Planar Cleansing (huge creature base makes it seem counterproductive but it also means you will have easier time rebuilding forces. It is easily taken out when opponent running a deck that only races you)

Instant:2
Murder (best removal)
Vile Rebirth (combat trick)

Enchantment:2
Mark of the Vampire (favorite racing mechanic)
Oblivian Ring

Artifact:2
Ring of Thune (stalemate breaker)
Ring of Xathrid (stalemate breake)

Sideboard:
x2 Crippling Blight (against similar decks)
Dark Favor (against low on control decks replace Planar Cleansing)
Ring of Evos Isle (against high control)
Show of Valor (combat tricks against low removal)

OH DID ANYONE ELSE HAVE THE ODD PACK 3 PICK 3 of having 2 RARES IN IT?

I try to draft every week as if I was actually there in person and this was an average draft.  Meaning one of the reasons is to get cards for my constructed decks or rares I don't have already.  This means no passing up rare dual lands.

So this deck will be Blue&Black with Red splash for Nicol Bolas, Searing Spear and Kindled Fufy via Gem of Becomings.

I also don't believe everyones rather simplistic notion of going W/B Exalted every time would even remotely work in most drafts as probably 4 other ppl have the same damn idea.  Not to mention it is extremely weenie oriented and gives various ways to really hurt them with mass removal due to over extending.

Round 1:
Mutilate
Bloodhunter Bat
Rise from the Grave
Vedalken Entrancer
Vedalken Entrancer
Negate
Sunpetal Grove
Wind Drake
Kindled Fury
Ring of Thune
Mind Sculpt
Vile Rebirth
Dark Favor
Plains

Round 2:
Mark of Mutiny
Wit's End
Rewind
Sleep
Fervor
Searing Spear
Gem of Becoming
Rewind
Elvish Visionary
Ring of Evos Isle
Index
Kraken Hatchling
Hydrosurge
Clock of Omens
Forest

Round 3:
Shimian Specter
Servant of Nefarox
Captain of the Watch
Glacial Fortress
Harbor Bandit
Reverberate
Gem of Becoming
Boundless Realms
Jace's Phantasm
Goblin Arsonist
Mogg Flunkies
Archaeomancer
Craterize
Hydrosurge
Mountain

I started out with the Mutilate, then took a gamble grabbing Bolas in pack two, knowing I might leave it on the sidelines.  After Bloodhunter Bat, I started to go the control route of U/B/r.  While I never got the best removal for control (no murder or Essence Drain), the 2 Fog Banks, Encrust, 2 Searing Spear and Sleep are all really good control cards, while I managed to get the mill suite of 3 Mind Sculpt, 2 Entrancer and Archaeomancer.  I won't vouch for how good it actually is, but I decided to try something a bit off the beaten path.  (Note:  In pack three, I chose Rampage to counterdraft over Captain of the Watch as Mutilate deals better with him than a Rampage off the top.)

Round 1:
Mutilate
Bloodhunter Bat
Fog Bank
Vedalken Entrancer
Vedalken Entrancer
Crippling Blight
Tormented Soul
Mind Sculpt
Disentomb
Kraken Hatchling
Mind Sculpt
Vile Rebirth
Dark Favor
Plains

Round 2:
Sign in Blood
Encrust
Searing Spear
Sleep
Scroll Thief
Searing Spear
Gem of Becoming
Rewind
Mark of Mutiny
Safe Passage
Rewind
Kraken Hatchling
Hydrosurge
Clock of Omens
Forest

Round 3:
Shimian Specter
Servant of Nefarox
Predatory Rampage
Archaeomancer
Augur of Bolas
Fog Bank
Zombie Goliath
Watercourser
Jace's Phantasm
Mind Sculpt
Unsummon
Bloodthrone Vampire
Craterize
Hydrosurge
Mountain

The Build:
Creatures 14
Bloodhunter Bat
2 Fog Bank
2 Vedalken Entrancer
2 Kraken Hatchling
Scroll Thief
Shimian Specter
Servant of Nefarox
Archaeomancer
Augur of Bolas
Watercourser
Jace's Phantasm

Spells 8
3 Mind Sculpt
Mutilate
2 Searing Spear
Encrust
Sleep

Planeswalker

Land 17
3 Mountain
8 Swamp
6 Island

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
When you get him early in a draft normally you feel really good, but lack of Gem's make it harder to manage a 3 color deck without G.

[sblock Draft]
Round 1:
Mutilate
Void Stalker
Rise from the Grave
Wind Drake
Krenko's Command
Crippling Blight
Crimson Muckwader
Krenko's Command
Kindled Fury
Kraken Hatchling
Disentomb
Vile Rebirth
Dark Favor
Plains

Round 2:
Planar Cleansing
Faerie Invaders
Searing Spear
Divination
Scroll Thief
Searing Spear
Unsummon
Rewind
Duty-Bound Dead
Ring of Evos Isle
Rewind
Kraken Hatchling
Fervor
Clock of Omens
Forest

Round 3:
Jace's Phantasm
Duty-Bound Dead
Goblin Arsonist
Scroll Thief
Harbor Bandit
Ravenous Rats
Gem of Becoming
Duress
Ravenous Rats
Goblin Arsonist
Unsummon
Archaeomancer
Craterize
Hydrosurge
Mountain
[/sblock]

Creatures(13):
Duty-Bound Dead x 2
Jace's Phantasm
Void Stalker
Crimson Muckwader
Krenko's Command x 2
Harbor Bandit
Scroll Thief x 2
Wind Drake
Archaeomancer
Faerie Invaders

Planeswalker (1):

Artifacts (2):
Gem of Becoming
Ring of Evos Isle

Spells (6):
Crippling Blight
Searing Spear x 2
Mutilate
Rewind x 2

Land(18):
Swamp x 5
Island x 8
Mountain x 5

It almost becomes a rush deck with late game option.  But I opted for Rewind over Unsummon to make late game more possible.  I wonder if the Unsummon might not fit the rush aspect better though.  If I want to go all out rush I can pull out Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker and Gem of Becoming for Goblin Arsonist or Ravenous Rats. Ring of Evos Isle is big in this deck because majority of creatures are blue.

4 removal spells (plus Archaeomancer) and Void Stalker should give me plenty of removal.

7th pick Rancor pack one cannot be real, this draft simulator is broken, fix it and then I'll see if I do it again some day.
I went Bolas control build with a possible backup mill win condition.

Another thing people need to remember about mill in limited.  In addition to being easier to actually win with it due to the smaller deck size, the decks are loaded with singletons and often lean heavily on just a few huge bombs in order to close out the game.  If you mill out those bombs, that's almost as good as a kill spell, because while you're not affecting the board directly, now you never have to face that card (unlike in a constructed deck where they probably have multiple copies of said bomb and/or at least one backup plan).

Round 1:
Mutilate
Archaeomancer Should've taken void stalker here.
Rise from the Grave
Wind Drake
Vedalken Entrancer
Crippling Blight
Duty-Bound Dead
Mind Sculpt
Disentomb
Kraken Hatchling
Mind Sculpt
Vile Rebirth
Dark Favor
Plains

Round 2:
Courtly Provocateur on second thought I probably should have tagged the planar cleansing here as a hate draft just because I don't think courtly provocateur is going to do me much good in my intended control deck.  I do believe my reasoning the first time through was just that I wanted another body, but eh...
Ring of Evos Isle
Searing Spear I already know I'm splashing red for nicky and I do need some removal.
Kraken Hatchling
Scroll Thief
Searing Spear
Gem of Becoming It was so hard to pass omniscience here b/c it's such a funny card, but this Gem is a godsend and I needed it BADLY.
Duress
Duty-Bound Dead
Harbor Serpent
Rewind
Revive
Index
Clock of Omens
Forest

Round 3:
Shimian Specter (soooooo wanted to take jace's phantasm but specter is just too good
Mind Sculpt
Captain of the Watch Did NOT want to see this on the other side of the table.  That's 9 vigilant p/t for 6 mana...
Archaeomancer
Harbor Bandit such a clock with duty-bound dead and an island.
Fog Bank I NEED stall
Gem of Becoming
Watercourser
Blood Reckoning well f@#$ me.  If I took void stalkerP1p3 like I should have (you know...like if I had a brain and all that...), the Jace's Phantasm wheels.
Duty-Bound Dead
Goblin Arsonist
Bloodthrone Vampire
Craterize
Hydrosurge
Mountain

Creatures (13)

Non-Creatures (11)
[deck]
3x Mind Sculpt[/deck]==This is more than half your deck right here.  DO NOT underestimate this card in limited.
[deck]1x Ring of Evos Isle
2x Searing Spear
2x Gem of Becoming
1x Mutilate
1x Rise from the Grave
[/deck]

Lands 17
[deck]
2x Mountain
7x Swamp
8x Island
[/deck]

Creatures
1-5
2-1
3-3
4-4
5-0
6-0
7-0
8-0

Non-Creatures
1-0
2-6
3-2
4-1
5-1
6-0
7-0
8-1

Total
1-5
2-7
3-5
4-5
5-1
6-0
7-0
8-1

Yeah, this isn't fantastic, but it's got Nicky B. in it, so it's all good.  Yes it's 41 cards, no I don't care.  I definitely should have tagged that void stalker P1p3 instead of the archaeomancer, but I wasn't thinking clearly.

Since it's probably the better choice, here's B/W Exalted
B/W Exalted

Round 1:
Oblivion Ring
Knight of Infamy
Knight of Glory
Rise from the Grave Yes I skipped the aven squire. You want more than just exalted creatures in an exalted deck, you also want creatures that work VERY well with exalted.  This can tag anything.  Although, yes, you could argue that you don't know that you're going to get more exalted creatures so you should snap these up (they even have evasion), i would then argue back that exalted is good in any quantity and that you still need quality creatures to go with them.
Attended Knight yes I skipped it again.  As was explained in the columns last week, tokens are very good with exalted, plus this card is just boss all on her own (well...on her own with her attendant)
Ring of Thune
War Falcon
Tormented Soul I admit, I made this pick knowing that there were more duty-bound deads coming, otherwise I would have taken the dead.
Ring of Kalonia
Disentomb
Ring of Thune
Disentomb
Guardian Lions vigilance with exalted is good
Dark Favor
Plains

Round 2:
Planar Cleansing
Ring of Evos Isle
Chronomaton
War Falcon
Bloodthrone Vampire
Ring of Xathrid
Divine Favor
Guardians of Akrasa
Duty-Bound Dead
Safe Passage
Warclamp Mastiff
Divine Favor
Index
Clock of Omens
Forest

Round 3:
Shimian Specter
Duty-Bound Dead
Captain of the Watch She's a Brick!! Howse!!
Crusader of Odric
Harbor Bandit may try to splash blue for his ability
Veilborn Ghoul this should be awesome in exalted
Gem of Becoming
Ajani's Sunstriker
Blood Reckoning
Mind Sculpt
Silvercoat Lion
Guardians of Akrasa
Glorious Charge
Hydrosurge
Mountain

Creatures (18)
[deck]
1x War Falcon
2x Duty-Bound Dead
1x Tormented Soul
1x Chronomaton
1x Bloodthrone Vampire
1x Knight of Infamy
1x Knight of Glory
1x Ajani's Sunstriker
1x Attended Knight
1x Crusader of Odric
1x Harbor Bandit
2x Guardians of Akrasa
1x Shimian Specter
1x Veilborn Ghoul
1x Guardian Lions
1x Captain of the Watch
[/deck]

Non-Creatures (6)
[deck]
2x Ring of Thune
1x Ring of Xathrid
1x Oblivion Ring
1x Rise from the Grave
1x Planar Cleansing
[/deck]

Lands (17)
[deck]
1x Island
8x Plains
8x Swamp
[/deck]

Creatures 18
1-5
2-4
3-5
4-1
5-2
6-1

Non-Creatures 6
1-0
2-3
3-1
4-0
5-1
6-1

Total 24
1-5
2-7
3-6
4-1
5-3
6-2

Yes it's 41 cards again, and no I still don't care.  This should wreck pretty hard with the cheap aggressive beats curving out to some serious umph.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

I went Bolas control build with a possible backup mill win condition.

Another thing people need to remember about mill in limited.  In addition to being easier to actually win with it due to the smaller deck size, the decks are loaded with singletons and often lean heavily on just a few huge bombs in order to close out the game.  If you mill out those bombs, that's almost as good as a kill spell, because while you're not affecting the board directly, now you never have to face that card (unlike in a constructed deck where they probably have multiple copies of said bomb and/or at least one backup plan).

Round 1:
Mutilate
Archaeomancer Should've taken void stalker here.
Rise from the Grave
Wind Drake
Vedalken Entrancer
Crippling Blight
Duty-Bound Dead
Mind Sculpt
Disentomb
Kraken Hatchling
Mind Sculpt
Vile Rebirth
Dark Favor
Plains

Round 2:
Courtly Provocateur on second thought I probably should have tagged the planar cleansing here as a hate draft just because I don't think courtly provocateur is going to do me much good in my intended control deck.  I do believe my reasoning the first time through was just that I wanted another body, but eh...
Ring of Evos Isle
Searing Spear I already know I'm splashing red for nicky and I do need some removal.
Kraken Hatchling
Scroll Thief
Searing Spear
Gem of Becoming It was so hard to pass omniscience here b/c it's such a funny card, but this Gem is a godsend and I needed it BADLY.
Duress
Duty-Bound Dead
Harbor Serpent
Rewind
Revive
Index
Clock of Omens
Forest

Round 3:
Shimian Specter (soooooo wanted to take jace's phantasm but specter is just too good
Mind Sculpt
Captain of the Watch Did NOT want to see this on the other side of the table.  That's 9 vigilant p/t for 6 mana...
Archaeomancer
Harbor Bandit such a clock with duty-bound dead and an island.
Fog Bank I NEED stall
Gem of Becoming
Watercourser
Blood Reckoning well f@#$ me.  If I took void stalkerP1p3 like I should have (you know...like if I had a brain and all that...), the Jace's Phantasm wheels.
Duty-Bound Dead
Goblin Arsonist
Bloodthrone Vampire
Craterize
Hydrosurge
Mountain

Creatures (13)

Non-Creatures (11)
[deck]
3x Mind Sculpt[/deck]==This is more than half your deck right here.  DO NOT underestimate this card in limited.
[deck]1x Ring of Evos Isle
2x Searing Spear
2x Gem of Becoming
1x Mutilate
1x Rise from the Grave
[/deck]

Lands 17
[deck]
2x Mountain
7x Swamp
8x Island
[/deck]

Creatures
1-5
2-1
3-3
4-4
5-0
6-0
7-0
8-0

Non-Creatures
1-0
2-6
3-2
4-1
5-1
6-0
7-0
8-1

Total
1-5
2-7
3-5
4-5
5-1
6-0
7-0
8-1

Yeah, this isn't fantastic, but it's got Nicky B. in it, so it's all good.  Yes it's 41 cards, no I don't care.  I definitely should have tagged that void stalker P1p3 instead of the archaeomancer, but I wasn't thinking clearly.

Since it's probably the better choice, here's B/W Exalted
B/W Exalted

Round 1:
Oblivion Ring
Knight of Infamy
Knight of Glory
Rise from the Grave Yes I skipped the aven squire. You want more than just exalted creatures in an exalted deck, you also want creatures that work VERY well with exalted.  This can tag anything.  Although, yes, you could argue that you don't know that you're going to get more exalted creatures so you should snap these up (they even have evasion), i would then argue back that exalted is good in any quantity and that you still need quality creatures to go with them.
Attended Knight yes I skipped it again.  As was explained in the columns last week, tokens are very good with exalted, plus this card is just boss all on her own (well...on her own with her attendant)
Ring of Thune
War Falcon
Tormented Soul I admit, I made this pick knowing that there were more duty-bound deads coming, otherwise I would have taken the dead.
Ring of Kalonia
Disentomb
Ring of Thune
Disentomb
Guardian Lions vigilance with exalted is good
Dark Favor
Plains

Round 2:
Planar Cleansing
Ring of Evos Isle
Chronomaton
War Falcon
Bloodthrone Vampire
Ring of Xathrid
Divine Favor
Guardians of Akrasa
Duty-Bound Dead
Safe Passage
Warclamp Mastiff
Divine Favor
Index
Clock of Omens
Forest

Round 3:
Shimian Specter
Duty-Bound Dead
Captain of the Watch She's a Brick!! Howse!!
Crusader of Odric
Harbor Bandit may try to splash blue for his ability
Veilborn Ghoul this should be awesome in exalted
Gem of Becoming
Ajani's Sunstriker
Blood Reckoning
Mind Sculpt
Silvercoat Lion
Guardians of Akrasa
Glorious Charge
Hydrosurge
Mountain

Creatures (18)
[deck]
1x War Falcon
2x Duty-Bound Dead
1x Tormented Soul
1x Chronomaton
1x Bloodthrone Vampire
1x Knight of Infamy
1x Knight of Glory
1x Ajani's Sunstriker
1x Attended Knight
1x Crusader of Odric
1x Harbor Bandit
2x Guardians of Akrasa
1x Shimian Specter
1x Veilborn Ghoul
1x Guardian Lions
1x Captain of the Watch
[/deck]

Non-Creatures (6)
[deck]
2x Ring of Thune
1x Ring of Xathrid
1x Oblivion Ring
1x Rise from the Grave
1x Planar Cleansing
[/deck]

Lands (17)
[deck]
1x Island
8x Plains
8x Swamp
[/deck]

Creatures 18
1-5
2-4
3-5
4-1
5-2
6-1

Non-Creatures 6
1-0
2-3
3-1
4-0
5-1
6-1

Total 24
1-5
2-7
3-6
4-1
5-3
6-2

Yes it's 41 cards again, and no I still don't care.  This should wreck pretty hard with the cheap aggressive beats curving out to some serious umph.

I should have tagged the Void Stalker too, but I took Bloodhunter Bat.  Amazingly, the Phantom did wheel to me. (As did the Mind Sculpt as I took Servant because I needed creatures)

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."

When I said it wasn't sarcasm, that was probably sarcasm. ~Thor665

Mafia Record

Mafia Games

Mana Symbols

Combat Step

Formatting?- What's that?- http://community.wizards.com/filter/tips

I didn't want to go into black from the first pick, so I went with Oblivion Ring. I stayed white until I see a hideously late Rancor (that card is clearly undervalued by the algorithm), and went white/green then. It paid off in pack 2 with three straight Timberpack Wolves. At worst a bear, but at best a 4/4 for 2. The deck is pretty much straight beats. There are a couple Primadox combos (Bond Beetle, Elvish Visionary, Attended Knight), and the Rings mean that any of my creatures can be threats. Since the most expensive card is the Captain and nothing else costs more than 4, I think I can get away with 16 lands.

Round 1:
Oblivion Ring
Angelic Benediction
Knight of Glory
Aven Squire
Attended Knight
Ring of Thune
Rancor
Elvish Visionary
Ring of Kalonia
Titanic Growth
Ring of Thune
Naturalize
Guardian Lions
Dark Favor
Plains

Round 2:
Prized Elephant
Roaring Primadox
Timberpack Wolf
Timberpack Wolf
Timberpack Wolf
Silvercoat Lion
Show of Valor
Quirion Dryad
Elvish Visionary
Bond Beetle
Warclamp Mastiff
Revive
Hydrosurge
Clock of Omens
Forest

Round 3:
Prey Upon
Prized Elephant
Captain of the Watch
Crusader of Odric
Prey Upon
Bond Beetle
Yeva's Forcemage
Ajani's Sunstriker
Serpent's Gift
Bond Beetle
Serpent's Gift
Mogg Flunkies
Glorious Charge
Hydrosurge
Mountain

The deck:

Removal/Pump (7)
Prey Upon x 2
Rancor
Ring of Thune
Titanic Growth
Ring of Kalonia
Oblivion Ring

Creatures (17)
Bond Beetle x 2
Warclamp Mastiff
Knight of Glory
Elvish Visionary x 2
Timberpack Wolf x 3
Ajani's Sunstriker
Quirion Dryad
Attended Knight
Crusader of Odric
Prized Elephant x 2
Roaring Primadox
Captain of the Watch

Land (16)
Forest x 7
Plains x 9

Round 1:
Oblivion Ring
Knight of Glory
Aven Squire
Aven Squire
Ring of Thune
War Falcon
Duty-Bound Dead
Ring of Kalonia
Elvish Visionary
Ring of Thune
Naturalize
Guardian Lions
Dark Favor
Plains

Round 2:
Battleflight Eagle
Roaring Primadox
Aven Squire
Prey Upon
Bloodthrone Vampire
Silvercoat Lion
Show of Valor
Guardians of Akrasa
Elvish Visionary
Bond Beetle
Crippling Blight
Revive
Hydrosurge
Clock of Omens
Forest

Round 3:
Prey Upon
Prized Elephant
Captain of the Watch
Crusader of Odric
Prey Upon
Ring of Xathrid
Spiked Baloth
Spiked Baloth
Serpent's Gift
Naturalize
Goblin Arsonist
Bloodthrone Vampire
Glorious Charge
Hydrosurge
Mountain

After a first pick O-ring, snagged Nicol Bolas second for likely only hate-draft purposes, but didn't miss any great white.  Stayed undecided between committing to black or green for quite a stretch, the green synergy finally won out, alas I did pass up an early Rancor while focusing on white.  Also Captain of the Watch was an iffy choice -- actually hit the mouse pad prematurely -- another Battleflight Eagle would have been more aggressive and easier on my mana-curve especially with the Roaring Primadox combo.  Also, I like the synergy between Exalted and Prey Upon.  I think I'm competitve.  Might try redrafting this one.

Creatures (17)
War Falcon
Bond Beetle
3 x Aven Squire
Knight of Glory
Silvercoat Lion
2 x Elvish Visionary
Crusader of Odric
Guardians of Akrasa
Prized Elephant
2 x Spiked Baloth
Roaring Primadox
Battleflight Eagle
Captain of the Watch

Other Spells (7)
3 x Prey Upon
Show of Valor
2 x Ring of Thune
Oblivion Ring

Land (16)
10 x Plains
6 x Forest

Notable Sideboard Cards
Guardian Lions
2 x Naturalize
Serpent's Gift
Ring of Kalonia
2 x Bloodthrone Vampire
Duty-Bound Dead
Crippling Blight
Dark Favor
Ring of Xathrid

Just so everyone knows, Oblivion Ring >> Mutilate

I'm not saying its not close, but pack 1 pick 1 means you can build around mutilate. Even though the BW list I ended up drafting probably wants oblivion ring more, mutilate in my opponents hand would totally wreck it.

Mutilate completely destroys so many of the best decks in this format whilst O-ring looks pretty bad next to talrand's invocation, and only last FNM my hexproof primal huntbeast suited up with tricks of the trade was mutilated. 

So whilst O-ring is at the top of the heap when it comes to flexible targetted removal, it does not come close to the potential power of mutilate. When its a choice between consistency vs potential, and its pack 1 pick 1, I think the right pick is to go with the option with the greatest potential.

Just so everyone knows, Oblivion Ring >> Mutilate

I'm not saying its not close, but pack 1 pick 1 means you can build around mutilate. Even though the BW list I ended up drafting probably wants oblivion ring more, mutilate in my opponents hand would totally wreck it.

Mutilate completely destroys so many of the best decks in this format whilst O-ring looks pretty bad next to talrand's invocation, and only last FNM my hexproof primal huntbeast suited up with tricks of the trade was mutilated. 

So whilst O-ring is at the top of the heap when it comes to flexible targetted removal, it does not come close to the potential power of mutilate. When its a choice between consistency vs potential, and its pack 1 pick 1, I think the right pick is to go with the option with the greatest potential.

I totally agree with blackfair

Mutilate is just such a great board reset that Id rather hate pick it and maybe use it as opposed to let anyone hold it against me. And if your going black even better

I drafted one last week in a black red deck and twice when i got out creatured by a green deck i just cleared the board and ended up winning

Round 1:
Mind Sculpt
Reliquary Tower
Mind Sculpt
Vile Rebirth
Duress
Crippling Blight
Crimson Muckwader
Krenko's Command
Craterize
Ring of Thune
Disentomb
Trumpet Blast
Dark Favor
Plains

Round 2:
Mark of Mutiny
Wit's End
Vile Rebirth
Divination
Index
Rummaging Goblin
Gem of Becoming
Tormod's Crypt
Craterize
Ring of Evos Isle
Index
Kraken Hatchling
Wall of Fire
Index
Forest

Round 3:
Shimian Specter
Mind Sculpt
Unsummon
Wall of Fire
Harbor Bandit
Ravenous Rats
Gem of Becoming
Duress
Blood Reckoning
Duty-Bound Dead
Swamp
Bloodthrone Vampire
Craterize
Mountain
Mountain

So yeah, for the most part I felt very obligated to make a deck around Bolas, seeing as I got him off the bat. I was gonna make a mill, but as soon as I saw the walker, I had to take it. Brings a smile to my face when I see that no one picked Omniscience, so let that be a lesson to you Wizards, QUIT GIVING BLUE THE SHAFT!!!!!

139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt